Hey y'all! I'm 3...

Hey y'all! I'm 3.5 years sober! So I thought I would start a new channel with tips & tricks in how to stay sober — and other various topics. Would you mind taking a look at my latest video and letting me know of any feedback you have? youtu.be/sJjpFx__v4U

Congrats, brother. I'm 14 years sober. Took my last drink when my wife told me she was pregnant. Checked into rehab with a .46BAC and was stone cold sober.

First year-ish is very very hard. Gets much easier.

Good for you, failure.

>fuck yeah man! hella awesome work!!!

One day at a time :-) I'm okay because the alternative was death. But, honestly, I was more afraid for hurting my ego than I was of death. Fucked up.

Addiction is a bitch. I was always envious of people who could do all that shit and not get addicted. That was the hardest art for me -- why can't I be like that?

Like I said, tho, the first year or so is insanely hard. After a while, it's just not a big deal.

Did you quit with aid of other medication or drugs, perhaps opioids? I know changing addiction to some other addiction is even worse than curing the first one. What did you do? When you quit drinking it always means also changing your friends completely.

> Addiction is a bitch. I was always envious of people who could do all that shit and not get addicted. That was the hardest art for me -- why can't I be like that?

Yeah for sure! I was an emotional wreck for the first year. It was like I never felt emotions before. I went to AA meetings but it was ONLY when I started actually being honest with people about what I was going through was I able to really start to recover.

I checked in and went cold turkey. Locked in a room that had been set up to deal with the withdrawal. It sucked. Vomiting, hyperventilating, no sleep, then sleep for an hour only to wake up in cold sweats. Shit myself from the shaking. Fucking awful 4 days.

>hen you quit drinking it always means also changing your friends completely.
For some, certainly. Not always. My friends were never the drinkers that I was, so it was better for me to be back with them. Loyal friends who weren't offering me booze at all and rarely drank themselves.

Anti-depressants at first. But I would drink while taking them lol not a good idea!

>I know changing addiction to some other addiction is even worse than curing the first one. What did you do?

Fuck yeah, man. When in rehab, most people said their first trip was just for alcohol. Then they landed back in rehab with a meth or heroin addiction. It's my opinion that there is no difference between abusing alcohol, heroin, meth, or whatever. Because my problem was my brain wanting to abuse stuff like that in the first place! The problem was me. And, to answer your question, I got into a relationship in rehab! haha with a heroin addict. Was so fucked up, dude. Then, it was an addiction to shopping or to video games — which was honestly my first addiction.

>When you quit drinking it always means also changing your friends completely.

Fuck yes! I talk about this in the video — but I had to get only friends in recovery. Because I didn't feel like normal people knew what I was going through. So I had to hang out with other people my age that also didn't drink or use. So I felt normal that way.

> I went to AA meetings
I'm no friend of Bill W. Nothing against the group thing or AA in particular, but it just wasn't for me. I had made up my mind that I was done and did what I needed to do in order to make that happen.

I don't mean to sound like some kind of tough guy -- I surely am not -- it's just that the group thing wasn't for me.

If you are stone cold alcoholic quitting like that can induce seizures or even a heart attack. 4 days often help for initial detox phase but after that you will have diarrhea and lot of other stuff going on for weeks. Did you get any diarrhea or insomnia, depression?

oh yeah, the withdrawal from booze is a killer — literally. You fuck your neurons up so badly that you can spasm to death.

Oh, yeah. My body was a wreck for a good month. Sleeping was the hardest thing for me, as I've been insomniac since childhood. I smoked pot to get to sleep in my 20s, then became 'respectable' and drank myself to sleep in my 30s.

Like lots of other addicts, I took up running. Helps the addiction side of things and helps me sleep.

Way to go OP. I'm just starting on the path, and I feel like the weekend will be the hardest part.

>I'm no friend of Bill W. Nothing against the group thing or AA in particular, but it just wasn't for me. I had made up my mind that I was done and did what I needed to do in order to make that happen.

It took me the longest time to realize that AA doesn't have to be a solution for everyone. For me, it was the only thing that worked. No other solution did. Which is why I stuck with it. Saved my life.

>I don't mean to sound like some kind of tough guy -- I surely am not -- it's just that the group thing wasn't for me.

Nah, you don't sound like that. I know people that can just cut it out. It wasn't that way for me, though. And I usually don't recommend people go that route because from my experience it was my THINKING that was the real problem.

Hell yeah, man! I'd love to help in anyway I can! Just leave a comment on the video I posted and I'd be happy to give you some pointers in staying sober. It's freaking so hard for me — if not impossible — to do it alone.

And weekends are the WORST when newly sober. FOMO — Fear of Missing Out — rocked my world and made me feel like such a piece of shit. I feel differently now because I know a bunch of alcoholics and addicts that stay sober and have a bunch of fun!

>For me, it was the only thing that worked.
I'm glad it did. Hold your chips tight and pass on the first few to someone who needs it. I have friends who did the AA thing and they've told me that the one week chip passed onto them by a long-term-sober friend meant a ton and was very helpful.

I hope you continue sober, friend.

gotta go to work. Have a good today.

Running is certainly great but it only becomes great when you are able to run greater distances without feeling like dying. Before that it's painful. But it's great feeling to get that endorphin rush when doing 5-10km every now and then. I'm not fit any longer but I was ultra fit at some point earlier in my life and did running and weights etc.
I still drink but I have reduced it but now I have other issues. Basically the issue comes down to the fact that I'm not happy with life and I need to mask it out with either booze or some other substances. I've cut back boozing already for a year because my body doesn't tolerate it any longer though. But life in general for me, is quite unhappy place even though everything is superficially okay. There just isn't joy. All I do is to slave at the office for some rich fucker and then there's 2 days free during weekends. That's my life. Fuck this I have tried to figure out something smart but I can't seem to do it. It's okay to slave away when you are younger but when nearing forties you start to think there has to be something better in life.
Unfortunately without being a wageslave there is no possibility to live life itself which is kind of ironic when you think about it.

Yeah, you too!!

Hey congrats OP. I've been clean for over 3 years to from heroin. Never thought I could do it, always thought I'd be dead.

>I still drink but I have reduced it but now I have other issues. Basically the issue comes down to the fact that I'm not happy with life and I need to mask it out with either booze or some other substances

Yeah, I used booze to mask the depression and sense of hopelessness I had.

>It's okay to slave away when you are younger but when nearing forties you start to think there has to be something better in life.

Dude, there is TOTALLY a better way of life! You can get something better and you don't have to live like that. I promise you. I used to feel like that but after finding AA and other people that also don't drink or use drugs then I started to get better. And my outlook on life improved.

Fuck yeah, man! Hella awesome work! How did you do it?

How much is the Christian aspect present in AA? I don't like Christianity or any religion at all and I hate people who force it upon you. I am spiritual but these thoughts are completely different from common religious bullshit.

I had depression and self medicated with alcohol for the longest time. The extra calories from 12 beers a night plus the sedentary lifestyle brought about by depression and minor agoraphobia made me fat, so I went to my doc for advice. He told me to quit drinking, and also prescribed an SSRI. He cautioned me that the drugs would fix nothing as long as I continued to drink, so I stopped.

After a couple weeks sober, I decided to try running. It was slow at first, but I got faster and felt better every month.

They talk about a higher power, but they leave it up to the individual to find that for themselves. That's been my experience anyway.

>How much is the Christian aspect present in AA?
Nowadays: Zero percent — 0%

> I don't like Christianity or any religion at all and I hate people who force it upon you.
Neither do I! They talk about 'God' but it's not a Christian God, or Jesus or whatever. God in AA = Higher Power. So this is something that YOU CHOOSE and it's something that you get to define for yourself. For some people, GOD = Good Orderly Direction or Group of Drunks. Some people have it be the Spirit of the Universe. Or the Laws of Nature. The point is, nothing is required — expect a desire to stop drinking.

>I am spiritual but these thoughts are completely different from common religious bullshit.
Then you'd fit right in! It's spirituality — not religion. And there are only suggestions — never commands or requirements — expect for a desire to quit drinking :-)

>I had depression and self medicated with alcohol for the longest time.
This is me, too!

The best wa to stay sober is do all your dope and blow your money
Problem solved, No $ no dope

Maybe that might be something. I always thought it was strictly Christian but maybe it could work.
Yeah I have the same thing and then getting out of shape actually makes the cycle even worse because you get depressed because you are out of shape sedentary fatass and this in itself will play havoc with your brain chemistry because getting fat is a sign of dysfunctional metabolism (not only in your body but in your brains as well).

not multiple brains but brain... you get the idea.

I was addicted for 6 years in and out of rehab off and on. Overdosed a few times, clinically dead twice. Just had enough I guess after being homeless and all that. Just did rehab and didn't back down this time. I still smoke weed and drink beer but it's far and few in between. And no I don't goto meetings, although I used to. Just have to stay humble about the situation and know that one slip up can land be back to where I once was a few years ago. Also, i removed many if not all of my 'friends'.

>Problem solved, No $ no dope
Ehhh... I would wish it was that simple. No money for drugs didn't stop a lot of people I know. They would start stealing or begging or pawning shit. It always got very sad in the end for those stories. Luckily, some people made it out alive!

One of the best things about AA is that there isn't any kind of membership fee(they will pass around a collection dish, but it's not mandatory) or requirement aside from a desire to quit drinking. If it isn't working for you, the members won't judge if you go and find some other way.

>Maybe that might be something. I always thought it was strictly Christian but maybe it could work.
It was written and developed by a bunch of Christians. But they themselves knew they couldn't preach a Christian God because it would turn everyone off — especially alcoholics. So they sat down and realized this God — this Higher Power —it needed to be something that the individual had to choose for themselves every time.

>Yeah I have the same thing and then getting out of shape
Getting to meetings introduces you to soooo many awesome people and a truly better way of life.

OP are you going to keep making videos?

>Overdosed a few times, clinically dead twice.
Rough man!

>Just had enough I guess after being homeless and all that.
Terrible :-(

>And no I don't goto meetings, although I used to. Just have to stay humble about the situation and know that one slip up can land be back to where I once was a few years ago.
Hey man, if it works for you, I'm happy for you :-) everyone has their path and it's a huge relief for me (and my ego) that I don't have the solution for everyone. I just know some stuff that worked for me. So I hope I can expand upon it a little more in this videos. Because there are so many options to get better. And I feel that people (most of the time) don't realize there's a better way of life.

> One of the best things about AA is that there isn't any kind of membership fee(they will pass around a collection dish, but it's not mandatory) or requirement aside from a desire to quit drinking.
Yes! It's all free! From the meetings to the help people provide — all 100% free :-D

>If it isn't working for you, the members won't judge if you go and find some other way.
Yep! No judgment. My ego wants to judge and feel better than people but it's all empty shit. I feel much better knowing that I can help someone that wants to learn more instead of convincing someone why they need it.

>OP are you going to keep making videos?
Everyday! I'll try to get a regular time I post a video but I will be posting one every day on something recovery related. Please let me know of any feedback you have. I'm not getting paid anything for it. And I don't have to right now because I feel like if I do the right thing with this sober channel then everything will work out :-)

And, in addition to this, sometimes people have to get to really low places in order to recover or give up drugs and alcohol. It's heart-breaking but it's just how it seems to go.

Also, I'm trying to jog every day. It's something healthy to do that says to do but I find it extremely different to adhere to. If you have any tips I'd love to hear them! And, btw, I might do a video on it as well.

Thanks for this thread.

Does anyone have any feedback on the video?

YYYYooooooooo
congratulations!
2 years next month

For sure, man! If you don't mind me asking, what's your story?

Hell yeah, man!!! Congrats!!! How are you doing it?

I just had to double check I was still in /b

It's nice to see a civil conversation for once.

I really don't have any advice as far as jogging goes, other than putting one foot in front of the other. I typically try to go for 30 minutes, and if I get discouraged I remind myself of all the times that I would sit on the couch and watch 30 minutes of TV and that it's not that bad.

I've only watched the last couple, but they seem pretty well put together, logical, and you have a good presence in front of the camera. Have you found that having a project like that helps with your sobriety?

Something that I have found to be helpful in recovery is meditation and breathwork. If you wanna feel one of the best natural highs... look into the "Wim Hof" breathing method. You'll become a super human in the process. THANKS OP! KEEP IT UP!

>recently had to quit smoking weed because of legal trouble
>daily smoker for the past few years to help loneliness and being antisocial.
Not being able to smoke I feel agitated and hate almost every aspect of life right now, any tips? I know comparably speaking marijuana isn’t as bad but I am not enjoying life right now.

Also
>Very much been thinking about trying shrooms to help with my depression/make me see life through a happier perspective

hehehehe well, I used to come here to watch rekt thread vids/gifs and bum myself out — but I thought I would try to get some help. Because even though /b is pretty fucked up it is full of a bunch of pretty smart bitches

I went to prison for a year while in i got into the tao and Buddhism. My cell-e was really into it and I like the philosophies. I'm in sober living right now but im moving out monday. I don't really get down with aa but my house is aa ran so i go to 4 meetings a week. Also my boyfriend (fag) is all about aa he gets 3 years in april. Meth and heroin or anything else was our vices

> I really don't have any advice as far as jogging goes, other than putting one foot in front of the other.
Oh fuck! I've been doing it wrong! hahahaha jkjk

>I typically try to go for 30 minutes,
I use an app called Runkeeper. It tracks all my runs. I shoot for about 2 miles or so a day. Last couple of days it's been 1.5 miles or so.

>Have you found that having a project like that helps with your sobriety?
Ooooooo lots to say here. In short, I have incredible fear about doing these videos. Because I feel like a loser doing them and I don't like videos that have super low view counts like I do. I despise those people and think they're losers. But I am actively pushing through that fear of rejection. And I feel so discouraged a lot of the time about it, but I give myself 24 hours to do a video. So I just have to put something out that's trying to be coherent. That constraint saves my ass. And I'm fine getting criticism now which has been the #1 reason why I never have shown people anything. And it was a big reason behind my drinking.

I joined the Air Force right out of high school and within a year I was in a job one step up the kill chain from the fighter dudes dropping bombs. The realization caused me to become depressed, and I became further depressed when it seemed that no one else in my career field was effected this way. One thing led to another and I found myself a civilian(Honorable, separated at the end of my contract)drinking a fifth of rum a night. Talked to my family and the VA and they recommended AA. Three years later, I'm finally using my GI Bill to get my Bachelors and I'm feeling great.

The support network that I found in AA was the main factor in my continued sobriety, I believe.

Sobriety is so fucking overrated.

12 step programs revolve around "God" removing your defects and then they'll try to tell you that you don't have to believe in god to do it.

I refuse to let other people tell me what I can and can not put in my body.

P.s. The people in recovery are the fucking most annoying, trashy people.

I tried to live in a halfway house and made it a month before the people there drove me insane. I would rather be an addict in the gutter than live with recovery people.

Thanks! Wim Hof? Cool idea :-) Do you have a link?

We'll still be here if you ever decide to come back.

You look like a faggot

>yes I'm that one guy

>Not being able to smoke I feel agitated and hate almost every aspect of life right now, any tips?
I would recommend finding some people that also quit as they know what it's truly like. And get there contact info so you can always hit them up if those feels come.

>Very much been thinking about trying shrooms to help with my depression/make me see life through a happier perspective
Mmmmmmm... IMO if you need to take some substance in order to change how you feel then... well... that's really the center of addiction for me.

I am sober except for daily ketamine, liquor, beer, coke, xanax and my all time fave LOGPOSTING. I found jesus at the bottom of a bottle of ginger ale my dudes... he told me to eat andy sixx's poop

You're too nice for this place. Haha, I just had to vent on the subject.

>i got into the tao and Buddhism
I wish I could but there are some principles and beliefs I find so batshit crazy I just checked out.

>I'm in sober living right now but im moving out monday.
Hell yeah, man! Way to do it!

>I don't really get down with aa but my house is aa ran so i go to 4 meetings a week.
It's there if you need it :-)

>Also my boyfriend (fag) is all about aa he gets 3 years in april.
OP is a big fag too

>Meth and heroin or anything else was our vices
For me, vices shift and change — it's my thinking and my selfishness that's the real thing to avoid because I'll abuse anything.

OP please make a video about how the only way you were able to maintain sobriety is though worshiping Andy Sixx's log of shit
do it or I'll kms

>Three years later, I'm finally using my GI Bill to get my Bachelors and I'm feeling great.
Fuck yeah, man! You're a huuuuuge success story!

>The support network that I found in AA was the main factor in my continued sobriety, I believe
Mother-fuucking-ditto. Saved my life. Before AA, and the fellowship, I was alone and so fucked.

But... I don't want to be sober

Why do sober people try so hard to put up a front about how great and fruity life is sober? So much POSITIVITY OMG LIFE IS GREAT SOBER. Fucking pisses me off. Great, you're sober, life is shit so pipe down.

This thread is making me want a beer.

>12 step programs revolve around "God" removing your defects and then they'll try to tell you that you don't have to believe in god to do it.
Well, it's important to mention that no one can tell you anything. There are just suggestions and recommendations. But some people do say you have to. I used to tell people that. But I learned not to because it's not my place and I don't know what's best for people. I only know what works for me.

>I refuse to let other people tell me what I can and can not put in my body.
Woah, no one is telling you to do anything. And if anyone from AA tells you what to do then ignore them. AA principles state no one can force anything on you.

>P.s. The people in recovery are the fucking most annoying, trashy people.
Well, when I'm not living in spirituality, then I'm a hella trashy guy hahah honestly. I'm a selfish asshole when I'm not drinking and trying to manipulate people.

>I tried to live in a halfway house and made it a month before the people there drove me insane.
I also did a halfway house. Can get pretty crazy.

>I would rather be an addict in the gutter than live with recovery people.
A gutter is no place for anyone to live :-(

Faggots

>You look like a faggot
Deep down, aren't we all fags? lololol

>I am sober except for daily ketamine, liquor, beer, coke, xanax and my all time fave LOGPOSTING. I found jesus at the bottom of a bottle of ginger ale my dudes... he told me to eat andy sixx's poop
Hmmmm... well, if you are happy and fufilled, you got that tiger blood and you are #winning !!!

>You're too nice for this place. Haha, I just had to vent on the subject.
Always welcome :-)

I went to something that was kind of like AA but to stop masturbating but after the first 45 minutes or so it just turned into a massive 30+ man literal circle jerk at the community center. It was fucked up too because me uncle came with me for support and we ended up dutch ruddering each other. That was over a year ago, still haven't spoken since the jerk

I thought I was addicted (drank heavily for over 20 years). I read all the horror stories and got myself as mentally and physically ready as I thought I could. Then I just stopped. Had some trouble sleeping for a few nights. Felt itchy and scratchy. Definitely was depressed and pissed off. Then it wore off. Realized I wasn't addicted, and that drinking was just a habit I'd fallen into. First time I stopped was last July for a month. Fell back off the wagon and drank cheap vodka every night until I stopped again in November. Don't miss it, don't crave it. Sober life is the same fucking shit life without it, except I don't have to struggle to get out of bed and don't have to get to the liquor store two or three times a week. So, I am basically more of a sedentary couch slug than I was as a drunk. At least it put a little spark in my ass once in a while.

kek

idk who Andy Sixx is :-( and i won't google and pretend it do lol

That's okay! If alcohol isn't affecting your life or relationships then no one has a place to tell you what to do :-)

dubs logged

logofshit.com/learn

The Log of Shit of Andy Sixx is not like any other log of shit you may find at your local bathroom. Tis truly the works of a god in his own right.

The Andy Sixx is native to North America but has been reported to migrate on the occasion of the annual Vans Warped Tour. His reproduction rate is remarkably high considering how many girls want to give him a vasectomy with their tongues.

What you don’t know right now is that Andy Sixx is the hottest, sexiest, gothiciest, hardcoreiest, deathcoreiest metal singer in the world and common sexual congress and foreplay would simply not do the job in trying to pleasure someone so divine, so perfect… so… holy, like his ass. Sure one could suck on his fucking dick and drink all of his sperms but it would never come close to showing your love and affection for him.

It starts with getting your foot in the door, which will not be easy. First you need to buy tickets for a Black Veil Brides concert and you must go to the actual concert hall, sneak past security and make your way to Andy’s dressing room. Much competition awaits you from other little BVB fangirls who want Andy’s Warm Log of Shit slidding down their fucking throats so badly. Some of them have killed others to make their chances of being where they are in the heat of the moment even possible, so do not take your presence or your life for granted.

>Why do sober people try so hard to put up a front about how great and fruity life is sober?
Because when I do the AA principles life really, truly gets better. It's a fucking miracle and I have no idea how it's possible.

>So much POSITIVITY OMG LIFE IS GREAT SOBER.
Oh no no no it's not like that all the time. And ESPECIALLY when I was drinking and in early sobriety. I was an emotional wreck that wanted to kill myself. And I hated life. But I didn't pick up. And things have gotten better.

>life is shit so pipe down.
I don't find that to be the case today. In the past, yes, absolutely. But being in recovery — being sober — has allowed me to work on my attitude and outlook on life. And it is so much bettter dude I couldn't even put it into words. That's one thing I want to do with the videos is give people hope and show you it's possible.

>This thread is making me want a beer.
Yikes! Was not the intention, sorry!

I was just thinking the same thing

well I've gone to AA probably 50 times in the last two years and I've never made it past 5 days sober, except for one time I somehow made it three weeks but flopped before I got the month chip. Maybe it works for some people but for the most part the meetings I've been to are just a circle jerk for people with 25 years sober to pat each other on the back. The two or three people in their 20's like me who aren't sober at all get completely ignored and leave wondering why the fuck they came

>That was over a year ago, still haven't spoken since the jerk
this can't be true

I've had similar experiences and opposite experiences. I usually try out a few different groups if I move to a new city.

>So, I am basically more of a sedentary couch slug than I was as a drunk. At least it put a little spark in my ass once in a while.
Whatever you've gotten to work is great!

Yeah sometimes it takes a little bit to find the right meeting. Some meetings I definitely have a hard time connecting with anyone. And sometimes people's shares get a little too off topic for my liking, but I do always find a meeting somewhere that's just titties.

One thing I found useful is to never get rid of or run out of booze. I always have a handle of vodka nearby. Not drinking is one thing, not being able to drink is completely different.

>One thing I found useful is to never get rid of or run out of booze.
Yeah, that was a scary feeling for me.

>I always have a handle of vodka nearby.
Yeah, I had bottles hidden all over the house haha

>Not drinking is one thing, not being able to drink is completely different.
For sure, man! It was because I didn't know how to live sober. I was too busy trying to run away from everything. And I couldn't imagine living life with or without alcohol.

Hmmmmm... is he sober?

great video man, congrats , former Heroin addict here (10 years) also was a heavy weed smoker (23 years)..... Smack was hard to quit but weed was just as hard if not harder because socially it's more accepted. Some people still laugh at the thought of "marijuana addiction" I agree changing the friends is key ...hey some positive shit on 'b" YEAAH

>Maybe it works for some people but for the most part the meetings I've been to are just a circle jerk for people with 25 years sober to pat each other on the back.
Some meetings are definitely like that. Way too cliche. And cliquey. It should always be about the newcomer and the guy or girl that's just getting sober and clean and needs help.

Oh, the thing is, I don't drink anymore. I don't smoke anymore, either. But I have a carton of cigs and a handle of vodka just in case I feel like it. I also have a loaded gun. Hell, those three things might be what's keeping me alive.

>great video man, congrats
Hey, thanks!

>former Heroin addict here (10 years) also was a heavy weed smoker (23 years).
Dang! That's a bitch and a half dude.

>Smack was hard to quit but weed was just as hard if not harder because socially it's more accepted.
True dat, it's socially accepted everywhere to drink. And encouraged in a lot of places.

>Some people still laugh at the thought of "marijuana addiction"
For sure! I would like to make a video on that soon.

>I agree changing the friends is key
For sure... peer pressure, even the kind where they're just doing stuff around you, makes you feel really left out if you're not included.

>hey some positive shit on 'b" YEAAH
hahahah for sure! Why not shine some rays of positivity into /b

>Oh, the thing is, I don't drink anymore.
oh, okay, nice! I hope it's working out for you.

>I don't smoke anymore, either
#winning

>But I have a carton of cigs and a handle of vodka just in case I feel like it.
Ahhhh I see. How's it working?

Any feedback on the video, though? Suggestions for topics?

sounds kind of dangerous, though...

i once moved to Boston when I first got sober. I knew no one. And I had no one I could connect with. And I started going to AA meetings. And those people literally saved my life.

Moving is the hardest thing I face in my sobriety, but I try to get into a support network as fast as I can to help cope with the stress. One day at a time!

It was also really early in recovery

omg yes! When did it happen to you? Where did you move?

My last move was in April of 2017, but I tend to move every few years for work. It's always stressful for me, no matter how many times I do it.