What is musical intelligence? What can musically intelligent people hear from music that ordinary people can't?

What is musical intelligence? What can musically intelligent people hear from music that ordinary people can't?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YUnSLB5Yr9M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

musically intelligent people listen to trap, top 40 pop, and Sup Forums waifus exclusively

you forgot kpop

that's just korean top 40, so it fits

Is the OP baiting? Because I was about to answer

>What can musically intelligent people hear from music that ordinary people can't?

Emotional honesty/dishonesty.

Intelligent people can't afford to waste time in petty things like listening to music. They're out there saving world thru math and science.

I think it's mostly just an implicit understanding of musicality and a talent for playing things in a more refined and expressive way. Unless you have perfect pitch and classical training you wouldn't hear much more listening to music. A musically intelligent person might be a little better at judging melodic content and coherency of a song though. It hardly matters unless you're devoting your life to playing/writing music

tfw to intelligent to listen to music

Music brings one closer to the raw data of emotion than nearly anything. And when it's on record it's like a map.

>emotional honesty/dishonesty
at basic level maybe but advance thinkers can produce any emotional state with any fantasy at will and the emotions felt are real even if produced with unreal except unreality is impossible because it happened one way or another therefore dishonesty is itself impossible and only a matter of missing information on the part of observer the end

cool story

girls laughing at them

The extreme version is perfect pitch, perfect tone and perfect rhythm. Essentially, musically smarter people can distinguish between notes easier (mostly through intervals), have more consistent and pleasant rhythm, and know how to get a better sound out of whatever they're using. Much like normal intelligence you can train yourself to get better at it. It does need training like any other intelligence, however. Active listening is very much required. Some people will have an easier start but theoretically with enough training anyone can become a great musician technically speaking.

They don't actually hear anything differently, it's more akin to understanding what they're listening to better.

I guess I'm just trying to understand, it seems like people with high music IQ are better at hearing the natural melodies and extracting them.

Hence perfect pitch/good relative pitch. I personally have some pretty above average musical intelligence as I've been playing music for about 8 years now, and I can probably write down even relatively complex songs in an hour or so because I can hear something and figure out roughly the relation between notes. There are people who are way better than me, naturally. This also means I can hum a melody and write it down with the correct notes easier than someone with a less developed musical intelligence.

Don't fret about it too much. Even if yours is poor you can still develop a good one.

While musical intelligence can refer to the degree by which a musically inclined person can understand what technically goes on in a composition, I tend to think of it as a measure of how receptive one is to what is being conveyed by it. Music is itself a language. From my perspective it's tied to emotional intelligence.

The sound of their autistic brain?

This

how is mu full of people who don't like music?

I reckon that also plays a part as well. In a way it's a feedback loop of being more invested into music so the emotions brought out by it are a lot stronger in a way because it's a lot clearer to you. Taking myself as an example again, my dad is a big Smiths fan just like me, but he has basically no musical training, so he misses a lot of stuff that isn't quite as obvious to an untrained ear. I have plenty of musical training, so I can appreciate the finer details of the music better, I reckon.

I used to have really poor musical intelligence that took a lot of time to build up, by the way. So I've had multiple perspectives in my life.

My taste has evolved quite a lot. I wanted to include that point in this discussion because while I think musical intelligence is innate, music knowledge - or the cumulative experience one has of listening to and composing it - has a great formative effect on the capacity to be receptive to the various accents in music.

Extrapolating from this, there's also the ability to hear chord changes and harmonic progressions in the music, identifying the functional harmony by ear ("oh, that's a I-V-vi"), harmonizing a melody line on the spot, and just generally understanding what they're hearing a lot better than plebs.

With this understanding, you can begin to understand the form of a piece of music as you listen without a score, which is the ultimate redpill.

Nobody likes pretentious hipsters or nu-males. Whether it's a roided gorilla from /fit/, a frothing bald-headed guy from Sup Forums, a smelly nerd from Sup Forums, a murderable leaf from /bant/, or a smarmy tool from /lit/, this board is the most embarrassing group of guys on the site.
Deal with it.

I can see what you're getting at, I think both are parts of musical intelligence in a way, someone like David Byrne, Paul McCartney or Brian Wilson has a really high innate musical intelligence but they also developed it to the point where they could go and make masterpieces. It's a mix of both, I guess.

I hope Tom Waits dies tomorrow

>What is musical intelligence?

Understanding that musical taste is subjective and that there is no such thing as "bad music", just music that you like and don't like.

I know virtually zero musical theory but can hear music in my head and then produce it.

I just intuitively know how something is supposed to sound. I don't know if this is some kind of special autistic ability or not

from my observations also most people don't seem to notice the subtle nuances of certain music. I feel like most people view/ or listen to music from a metaphorically further distance away than I do and don't notice the details.
for example I played my friend something off OPN's R plus 7 and he said something to the effect of he couldn't hear anything but background music.
so I feel like musical intelligence has something to do with in how high definition does your brain process sound and harmony.

this question is so vague and footless that an answer of respective quality would be "cabbage"
honestly OP, ask more, what kind of musical intelligence?
emotional?
Rhythmic?
of what style?
harmonic?
if so contrapuntal or monophonic?
music is such a broad thing that we should treat it like you would treat a person or people.

Very much true, ultimately the perfect musical intelligence would be able to know exactly what is going on and how everything fits together; and how to work with that to make great works.
I think you have a pretty well trained musical intelligence at this point, you just don't know the names and details but the framework for someone that understands music as more than just a wave of noise is very much there. Do try and understand music theory further, it's gonna help you on your journey.

How does one grow their musical intelligence?

It means that you're mentally deficient in comparison to the rest of the population. Merely a defective brain trying to compensate by specializing in useless abilities.
I feel sorry for your parents. I wish them luck in the trials and frustration they no doubt face.

Listen to music actively (emphasis on actively); listen to a lot of music, no matter the genre; learn how to play an instrument or at least do some production; learn music theory.

Alright! Thanks user. :)

you feel sorry for my incompetent autistic parents for having an autistic kid?

that's strange

youtube.com/watch?v=YUnSLB5Yr9M

if someone listens to this and fully understands the genius beauty of these harmonies they get a pass from me

How would one effectively communicate to you that they "fully understand" the genius beauty of those harmonies?

by shedding a tear of ecstasy onto my precious white skin

pretty much this. musical intelligence is just being able to divine what matters about a song or what is good about a song more easily, from either a writer or a listeners perspective, sometimes from both.

it all stems from a desire to actively listen to music and understand it instead of simply using it as a background noise or a facilitator of socialization. among any sort of human activity, i'd say the pareto principle can be applied in terms of 80% of people only do or consume something, etc. for social benefit/"something to do" and the remaining 20% of it think about it or want to appreciate and understand it for its own sake.

then, i would divide the "difficult" music that normal people don't like into roughly two groups - music that is sort of "melodic" but disguises this property with things that are musically inaccessible (excessive feedback/distortion, extended vocal techniques, etc.) and music that requires some sort of background or is mainly more appreciable in an academic, cerebral, or historical sense

this is actually a good post

dont think the two groups thing is necessarily accurate, though, there's a pretty smooth spectrum from accessible to inaccessible imo

thanks senpai, i kind of ran out of steam half way though writing as its getting late and i wasn't sure if this was a serious thread or just funposting, just some observations i've made as someone with little to no music training who has been around people who only view music as a means to an end as i mentioned or who don't even like it at all, which has always obviously seemed rather odd to me