/daily/ - shipping edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lp3wfyq8f8U
engravedglass.bandcamp.com/album/celebration
youtube.com/watch?v=6oYLrS-2QKQ&list=PL79d_v9meZCDAzjP8YnQIlVPssMa6qOqu
alanjenkins.bandcamp.com/album/disaster-cake-interrogation-bunny
youtube.com/watch?v=m20I1X_O6Tw&ab_channel=7296272962
sputnikmusic.com/newreleases.php
albumoftheyear.org/releases/
avclub.com/st-vincent-beck-finally-wu-tang-and-more-albums-t-1818805251
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

?

Or not

Tigers Jaw - Tigers Jaw (2008)
>emo, indie rock

Super basic, overly simple emo. It's got a ragtag charm to it that I enjoy, and some of that wistful summer feel that I love so much in emo, but there's nothing here beyond the pretty solid exterior. Songs are boring and overly simple, vocals are trash, and the production is woefully thin.

Hello-o-o-o?

Scorn - Vae Solis (1992)
>industrial metal

Godflesh-esque stuff. Brings in some illbient stuff to keep it from being a pure monolith of monotonous, dirgy sludge, and the industrial stuff is heavy and raw. Still, this retreads a lot of the same ground we've heard from dozens of other bands in this vein.

2.5+

Bud Powell - The Amazing Bud Powell (1952)
>bebop

Really nice and pleasant stuff, with some absolutely amazing virtuoso piano playing. It's an early, primitive take on jazz, so its incredibly simplistic, nearly detrimentally so, but Powell's material is deceptively complex and his piano is always a joy to listen to.

3.0-

This Song Is a Mess But So Am I - "Church Point, LA" (2004)
>noise, noise pop

This is a case study on how not to eulogize a loved one through music. It was intended to be a cathartic release, and it serves that purpose well. It truly is cathartic, bursts of noise and dissonant piano work take up a lot of runtime here. What I can't get over is how self-serving it is, and Ruppert's vocals are just so, so horrible. Almost a bit exploitative, and the first track got me pretty close to laughter, and I feel shitty about that, but still.

2.0-

Conlon Nancarrow - Lost Works, Last Works (2000)
>modern classical, interview

Nancarrow's stuff is all cool, dissonant, and it may go a bit over my head, but well-done and compositionally really impressive. The interviews are a waste of time, although pretty enjoyable. The interviewer does a good job and Nancarrow seems like a really cool guy.

2.5+

The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!
>experimental rock
Given all the hype around this album, I went in convinced that I was going to be blown away, and came out painfully underwhelmed. It's well-written and catchy at its best moments, but painfully and obnoxiously tongue-in-cheek at its worst ones. No idea how people prefer it to Hot Rats, maybe I can't into Zappa.
6/10 (might bump it to 7 eventually if I warm up to it a little)

Even as someone who likes the album and Zappa in general, I think most of the praise comes from it being cutting-edge and ahead of its time rather than the actual quality of the record. At least, that what most people seem to talk about: "They did this in 1966???" is usually the summation of most Freak Out reviews

imo Absolutely Free is much better

Yeah, I guess I can understand that perspective, but I have trouble enjoying music purely on the basis that it was innovative when it came out. Oh well, I'll put Absolutely Free on my backlog and check it out (or maybe some of his jazzier work because I really dig Hot Rats a lot and that's still the only other album of his that I've listened to)

>I have trouble enjoying music purely on the basis that it was innovative when it came out
imo you're 100% right that something should stand on its own out of context.

Zappa's discog can be intimidating, but I think his earlier catalog is super worth exploring. If you're looking for more stuff like Hot Rats I'd suggest Waka/Jawaka and Sleep Dirt

>inb4 'no'

Why would I say no? The previous post was basically an implicit ask for jazzy Zappa recs. Thanks, though! Will probably put one on next month's chart, assuming I actually stick around for once

no it's a meme

it's a thing jangle does

someone will mention hot rats

and he'll say

'no'

sorry for the confusion

looks like I've been duped
time for bed

I love Zappa, but (sorta) fuck everything from the 60's. I mean I love them for what they are, but if you want to listen to what I think of when I say Zappa; all of his weirdness, jazziness, strangeness, satire, and virtuoso guitar playing and instrumentation, listen to some of his live shit. Specifically listen to The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life.

#memez

I guess I should add it's from 1991, so it's actually very "late era" Zappa.

Not that he would care. If you don't want to listen to the whole album listen to Zoomby Woof. I think it has enough weirdness, jazz, guitar, gospel, percussion (oh, if you have anything bad to say about percussionists go kill yourself) and werewolfs to satisfy anyone who loves music.

*Zomby Woof

u guys ever delet
feelsgoodmang

*deletes you*

thatsfucked up

I forgot to mention the covers. If you've never heard Zappa cover Stairway to Heaven, stop what you're doing and listen.

I bet you're one of those flac people

im not a flacman dw

Zappa drinks Page's milkshake

hello

plug?

hello?

hi

how U doin?

youtube.com/watch?v=Lp3wfyq8f8U

pros:
- I met julia holter and sarah lipstate about a week ago
- I saw the flaming lips and the performance was really cool even though I'm not a huge fan of them
- I got hella likes on my last instagram post
- in love with a girl that's in love with me
- over two weeks sober

cons:
- kind of been bombing my classes lately but working on it
- i want to transfer schools
- about 10 pounds away from having an overweight bmi

well fuck yeah man. keep it up.

thanks friend

how have you been?

damn, this is super comfy. it's like almost 2AM here and I have a performance tomorrow and I can't sleep for no particular reason, so this is perfect

Freak Out and Hot Rats are such different albums that comparison seems pointless really.

it is actually
np man

Thanks for the recs, will definitely check out the album, or chunks of it at the very least

Completely agree with that actually, but it's the only other record of his I've listened to, so it's the only comparison to draw in the first place

pros:
- I was able to take the last 4 months off and not worry about money
- I recently traveled across the country to visit friends and family I hadn't seen in a year
- Somehow Hurricane Harvey missed my apartment while fucking up everything to the East of me
- I bought a Make Noise O-Coast synthesizer which turned out to be the coolest instrument I've ever bought
- I'm going to see a Ween double header in three weeks
- I'm 7 days cigarette free

cons:
- I have to go back to work next week
- I live in the god forsaken middle of nowhere, Texas
- It's hard for me to meet women in the god forsaken middle of nowhere Texas, since I'm a "yankee"
- I bricked my audio interface with a bad firmware update

thats pretty mush how it is with zappa

Any know any good field recordings like this? Preferably with people talking.

julia holter - celebration

Thanks I'll check it out

to clarify
it's her album celebration, not her song celebration that appears on a later album

you can listen to it here
engravedglass.bandcamp.com/album/celebration

>Hot Rats
no

Pet Sounds and VU from 60s still totally hold up

and fishmans, too

quick no looking it up name one more album from the 60s

hmmmm

ahaha
wrong thred : ^ )

uuuhhhhhh the doors?

wow youre good you should teach us a thing or two

I like to consider myself a music historian

>Jim O'Rourke - The Visitor (2009)

It seems to be an unpopular opinion to hold, but this has become one of my favorite O'Rourke albums. It condenses the qualities I appreciate in his work into one fluid, dynamic, alien mass. It's a single song and as others may point out, not necessarily a suite with a cohesive idea, which I happen to think is precisely its charm--that it's light on its feet in its ability to switch rhythms and keys at any given moment as layers of chamber instruments filter in and out. It creates a truly unexpected feeling like exploring a foreign land, which I take "The Visitor" to refer to.

It pulls off well this genre-hopping trick of shifting almost without our noticing from an acoustic folk-conceived song into a full, deliberate, comprehensive chamber composition with the expected unexpected flourishes--like a Hammond that pops up at odd moments or the uncharacteristicly somber piano interlude--that only O'Rourke would attempt, and moments that I think lend to this human feeling better even than his singer-songwriter work.
7.5/10

The band?

Jimo Rourke.

Jim O'Jazz

Numbers.

What country everyone from?

can't speak for myself but i know personally that SDC is from Japan.

poland

Yeah boyee

This is true.

this is true i've seen a lamb here once

youtube.com/watch?v=6oYLrS-2QKQ&list=PL79d_v9meZCDAzjP8YnQIlVPssMa6qOqu
alanjenkins.bandcamp.com/album/disaster-cake-interrogation-bunny

>Alan Jenkins - Disaster Cake Interrogation Bunny
>experimental, garage, indie, psychedelic, surf
>released May 27, 2017
Just gave it a quick listen. Has some interesting instrumental bits here and there. The vocals and lyrics are kind of grating. Domesticated Fowl is a good song, wish more of the album had the same energy as it. Enjoyable cover of Search and Destroy. Gets into British politics, if that's your jam.

that panning is painful wow

@Eric

Make a song where you pan your voice rapidly and whisper "hehehe im sneaking thru your ears"

Sweden

My theme song, whenever I enter da room hazy's bangin with me on my jvc pill. Letting non self raising MC's hear a glimpse of a true conceptual masterpiece if not only for a moment. What else can be said. Its hazy-god-dam-lujah.

Here to realign all the picture frames in what you call a home. peasants.

youtube.com/watch?v=m20I1X_O6Tw&ab_channel=7296272962

what prompted this request

ew

Meme

I'm from the Gorno-Badakshankhsk autonomy region of Tajikistan. However, since I'm basically everywhere, you can call me Mr. Worldwide

hi everyone, i haven't posted here in ages but i remember a few names

okay that's it, bye

I disagree with some of your minimalism ratings but added

Tried Pills Thrills 'n' Bellyaches. Real good album, quality stuff.

I thought that was a joke when I read it on rym and assumed you were a Chinese migrant in Riga. Nice to see it is actually real.

which ones, my friend?

usa

new york specifically

hey dude!

Hello.

this is whats next

whats good whats bad whats staggeringly mediocre

im with you. i only listen to the newest freshest shit and stuff of the year i really like. lots of good stuff coming out tomorrow

>lots of good stuff coming out tomorrow
im very intrigued by the new st vincent

kurt/courtney also seems v cozy

>Catalog
new not proper wu tang and king krule

also listening to new stuff all time is mind fuckingly fun and its a nice hobby

I was only looking at Lubomyr Melnyk actually so nvm
Don't really have much to say looking through your ratings tbqh

Lmao

Surprised you haven't heard beach house yet, even if they're just ok as a group.

>new not proper wu tang
i really hope thisll be good

Dude if you live in Dallas we're essentially the same person atm

Seam is super mediocre
That Sun Kil Moon is the only post-95 Kozelek I've enjoyed
John Cale solo stuff is underrated, you're either going to give it a 2.0 or a 3.0 but not a 2.5
John Wesley Harding is when Dylan fell off the wagon and became a cowboy
Nick Drake is a money grab but still great fall-core because it's pretty hard to fuck up melancholy folk songs even in the sketching phase
Everything else is trash

yeah me too.
i started with my new music obsession in june, before that i didnt listen to anything after 2010 and only on shuffle while driving so i have almost no reference but im catching up.

my sources:
sputnikmusic.com/newreleases.php
albumoftheyear.org/releases/
avclub.com/st-vincent-beck-finally-wu-tang-and-more-albums-t-1818805251

i know avclub is gay, but fuck it.

i've heard devotion and teen dream just not that one

>Everything else is trash
duly noted

and man idk why you're telling me dylan becoming a cowboy is bad i rly like nashville skyline

yo hit me up if you need any recs!

thanks. im always looking for sites where i can find new music

>i rly like nashville skyline
I really love some of the songs on there, but the album is pretty average overall.
None of the songs on JWH are very good or memorable however. It's actually the only 60's Dylan album I don't own on record.

I love this Beach House album. Don't care what anyone says. Definitely similar to Teen Dream material if you dug any of that at all

sol invictus mediocre
bashung and labraford good, probably the french folk too

putting this sites general hatred against it aside, /r/indieheads is seriously a solid place to pick up new music

>I really love some of the songs on there, but the album is pretty average overall.
can't really deny that, but the first two tracks are some of my favorite dylan.

and funnily enough JWH is actually the only dylan i own on record, but that's just because i found it for super cheap

i like teen dream a solid bit, so yay!

>french folk
my most anticipated stuff on the chart

ç
appriciated. i guess i have to go back

also lead belly i guess
i likedit and im not big into blues
but yeah lookin forward too see how good that album is
ç

Wow, a chart where I've actually listened to more than 1 or 2 albums. Yonlu is fairly interesting, but it's really propped up by the tragic backstory imo. Still not bad for a 16 year old though.

gram parsons is real cool

:(