"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time...

>"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly. "The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."

>"They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully. "And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film."

Was Christopher right?

Other urls found in this thread:

themeparkinsider.com/flume/201510/4806/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This guy sounds like a self absorbed cunt

Why is he acting like the hobbit is some masterpiece of literature, it's just a children's book

To be honest, I don't get why people hype LoTR books so much. I mean, there great and influential but are essentially just big D&D campaigns with some deus ex machina moments.

Well, it is a known fact Tolkien hated the shit out of his fans and tried to avoid them as much as possible, I am sure he would hate the movies.

>waah they turned my daddy's book into a movie I don't enjoy
>What do you mean "why did I sell the movie rights then"?

>young people ruin everything

typical old person response.

>>"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly. "The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."

It was a book about dragons and elves you pretentious faggot, lol

>Was Christopher right?
Yes.

c'mon man. let us have our middle earth theme park

themeparkinsider.com/flume/201510/4806/

It has existed long enough and been influential enough for contrarians to dissect it down to a level of "it's just (insert things it influenced)" or "it's overrated". I think it's mythology and lore are the best parts about the middle earth stories.

> The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing

What did he mean by this? the books aren't anything fucking Special Chris, you cunt.

To be fair, the books were also for children.

>>young people ruin everything
It's true tho

Well, the 40min battle scenes are like 2 pages long in the book. The movies are the definition of a flick and terrible adaptations. I kinda like the first one though.

>father sells the rights his greatest works to give you a wonderful life
>wah muh aesthetics

No one in this thread has read the books obviously. Yes, the Hobbit is a simple-hearted work of fiction. But The Lord of the Rings is a poetic masterclass and the benchmark for fantasy writing and writing in general.

Failing to realise this not only reveals your simplemindedness, but also makes you sound like a thick-sculled, autistic toddler with downs.

he's right you know

WATCH IT JACKSON!

>DUDE LEGOLAS SURFING DOWN A STAIRCASE LMAO
Yeah I'd say they lost a bit of the philosophical impact there.

>No one in this thread has read the books obviously.
You're actually not special for reading the books that literally every middle schooler somewhat interested in reading has read.

>benchmark for fantasy writing
Yes.

>a poetic masterclass
lol no, kill yourself

I read lotr trilogy twice, once as a child and again after the first movie, and I thought they were very faithful considering, and then the extended editions knocked it out of the park, the hobbit on the other hand, jesus.

Read them as a teenager, loved them, but when I tried to go back recently, the childish tone and constant singing were a huge turn-off. Hardly top-tier writing.

>Hardly top-tier writing.
Well argued I can tell your a master linguistic your self LOL

The world in lotr is created by music. Most of you idiots can't even read.

Since he can't stand that scrutiny, he always was shit, carrol was right and true... As is said, Any real writer can withstand that scrutiny... He and the bob dylans, john frusciantes, zizeks... Can't. They were always playing for the wrong team. It's simple really, a real writer sits well with the memory, a shit one, doesn't. Selfsame with the hermeticmagiqtradition btw. Hells yehss!!!

Yes

I can't tell if it's ingenious or fucking stupid but it's definitely one of the more beautifully written parts of the Silmarillion

>Was Christopher right?

Yes and if you disagree your a meme shit head.

>LOL

:D

>Yeah I'd say they lost a bit of the philosophical impact there.

BUT BUT WE HAVE TO SELL ACTION FIGURES FOR KIDS

DON'T FORGE ABOUT THE KIDS

The lotr films literally could not have gone better, they won huge numbers of awards, were lauded by critics and that cunt has still done nothing but complain.

Christopher could have demanded some creative control but he took the money instead so he should shut his talentless fucking mouth.

>they won huge numbers of awards, were lauded by critics
Wow it's fucking nothing.

No u

Who was the only person alive to have met Tolkien himself.

Christopher Tolkien is a known hateful cunt who disinherited his kids (or just one of them) because they liked the LOTR movies. Nothing he's ever said has any value and everybody should know that already.

Young people don't run the planet for a good reason.

Him having met his own father doesn't make him any less of a self-absorbed cunt.

It's hard to imagine those movies having more success, but they certainly could have been better.

So Tolkien was a Howard Hughes level of recluse in the last decades of his life? He died in the 70s.

Nothing's ever perfect, but that's as much Christopher's fault as anyone. Surrendering all creative control and then moaning about the resulting films is pathetic.

I admire that level of upper class ruthlessness.

>be tolkien
>learn to write at age four
>study classics and english at oxford, finish latter with honours
>become youngest professor at Leeds
>produce many translations of famous works like Sir Gawain that become academic standards
>become professor of anglo-saxon at oxford
>be influential academic literary critic
>write massively successful LOTR trilogy
>critical acclaim
>spawn entire genre of fiction
>in the decades after more and more people cash in on muh elves, muh dwarves, muh dragons, to the point where people now associate it with WoW and GRRM
>opinion of Tolkien and LOTR is now retroactively infected by these things to the extent where NEETs call Tolkien's work just a 'D&D campaign with some deus ex machina moments'

shaking my head to be honest phamalamamma

Christopher Lee was best friends with J.R.R. Tolkien. Tolkien actually said he would put Lee in the role of Gandalf if they ever had to adapt his novels into films.

I will never understand why he is so butthurt about the LOTR films. They are about just as good as anyone could have hoped they would be.
His hatred of the hobbit films is absolutely justified though

>They are about just as good as anyone could have hoped they would be.
They are literal perfection when compared to Peter Jackson's previous shitty works.
How the fuck did that happen.

He's also dead.

You shouldn't be on Sup Forums at work Colbert.

wow Hollywood chews up books and makes them into shitty films

who knew

really makes you think

really gets your thinker a goin

Yes. The movies are just good action movies

But it's true.

Huh, really gets your noggin joggin'

>self absorbed
>is defending his Father's work
how is that self-absorbed?

Well, thats how some people see it now but thats like saying Shakespeare uses too many cliches. You're kind of looking at it backwards, the tropes and cliches of modern fantasy exist because Tolkien made his world and characters so deep and rich and tons of people copied his work which is why it seems cliche to us now, but it was singular in its time.

A lot of the actions are the same but Jackson goes too far in his own direction as the story goes on for my taste. First Hobbit movie was solid, the second one descends quickly and I wanted to hang myself before the end of the third.

>there great and influential
There you go.

Really gets your cock cacklin'

>Tolkien writes escapist fiction for people living in a world torn by war
>goes out of his way to tell anyone who tries to draw parallels between reality and his works that there's no metaphor in it and it's pure escapism
>his own son still treats it like some kind of sacred cow
I can safely say your father is disappointed in you Chris.

>It was a book about dragons and elves you pretentious faggot, lol

Typical teenager response. No, it wasn't. It was an allegory on the cycles of human civilizations, and an ode to ethno-nationalism with traditional values.

>Christopher Lee was best friends with J.R.R. Tolkien.
Christopher Lee met Tolkien once lmao

Bullshit.

Christopher Lee only met him once.

Tolkien disliked direct allegory, but what he meant and talked of in his letters is that he never meant The Hobbit or LOTR to be directly interpreted as his reflection on WWI and its aftermath in the way people normally did, but that the themes of decay, wanton destruction, the loss of innocence and the glimmer of hope that remains are applicable to many more situations than just his personal experiences. He didn't want his work to be seen as a veteran's musings on a war he happened to survive but about the struggle against the immense injustices of the world from a position of powerlessness and the will to go on in the face of noble failure, like Boromir giving his life to save the hobbits even though he had succumbed to his temptation or soul-shredding success where Frodo is left physically and mentally incapable of just picking up his life where he left it. This applies to way more than just WWI and Tolkien wanted his readers to see it in a broader way.

the books are pointless escapist fantasy worthy of no more respect than an animorphs book, but the movies are also terrible, so he's half-right

I bet you enjoy ASOIAF

>worthy of no more respect than an animorphs book
Why not?

ASOIAF is about 10x better literature than LOTR

Yes they are?

weak b8

indeed, but it's a really good and well-written children's book. having interned in the publishing field, i can attest most children's books are really, really, really simplistic and awfully written. LOTR is children's lit done correctly, similar to the Narnia and Alice books.

having said that, Chris Tolkien is full of it. the books are still there for anyone to read. his gripe is with how the fantasy has rooted itself on pop culture because of the films? there's no control over that. they signed over the licensing rights and collected the millions, by my understanding.

>pointless escapist fantasy
Couldn't you accuse any noneducational fiction of this? Even with nonfiction you are often just reading it for your own amusement.

they contain exactly the same political thought, expression of the human experience, and consideration for the progress of their artform, that is to say, none at all. they're both base entertainment for children

>name dropping animorphs

Quality fiction you seem to read user :^)

Because nothing that has been influenced by Tolkien has been nearly at the same level and will certainly not live as long as Tolkien's work. I mean, I love LOTR and after I read Silmarillion I am simply astonished over how complex and beautiful his world is.

Humans = Christians
Elves = Muslim
Dwarfs = Jews
Orcs = Atheist

>"I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations" - Tolkien

>Has read Dickens once and thinks he's some literary expert

See and You're an idiot.

The really fucked up part is that for Tolkien, LOTR and The Hobbit were secondary afterthoughts to his goal of completing The Silmarillion. People can imitate that kind of depth but most writers just make up the backstory to serve the narrative not the other way around.

No.

>they contain exactly the same political thought, expression of the human experience, and consideration for the progress of their artform
Literally incorrect. I'm beginning to wonder if you've even read Animorphs

'yes'

Even worse, he wasn't even ready to publish it before dying. We'll never see that final Silmarillion he dreamed of for decades.

Same here, the sole fact this man is blocking the Hollyjews from ruining Silmarillion too with black noldors and quips makes me admire him.

People need to stop perpetuating the Dwarf=Jew meme.

Jews are never content to fuck off on their own and only fraternize with their own kind and just live contently in their own dwellings like Dwarves.

The only similarity is the fascination and strive for shekels.

>criticising fiction for being escapist
The fuck

I dislike taxes but I still pay them.

>the more she drank, the more she shat

Humans = Christians
Elves = Muslim
Dwarfs = Atheist
Orcs = Jew

My bad, I shouldn't have implied LOTR is literature. It's the book equivalent of a "flick".

ASOIAF is the book equivalent of kino.

I think LotR is a good criticism, intentional or not, of self destructive modernity and thirst for power that can be linked to the atomic bomb, and the return of tradition from the brink of extinction.

It's really sad that Christopher had to finish it for him and I wonder how he even managed to with something that complicated. Its well known that he sometimes took stuff from papers that had been multiple drafts written and erased and rewritten on them so it was hard to know what to go with as the best story or even as the most consistent. There was a rumor a few years ago that Christopher was having those documents scanned to pick up traces of graphite so that the full text of previous drafts could be fully discerned, just to make sure he didn't fundamentally ruin anything due to this kind of thing not being possible in the 70s when he first picked it up after JRR died.

There is literally nothing wrong with that paragraph. It's telling that you retards always bring that non-argument to the table.

>influenced an entire genre that to this day has not produced a single work of any artistic worth whatsoever
>worthy of respect
he did great business, sure, I'll give him that

Do you dislike terrible analogies too?

I think the Lord of the Rings could have been done better as a series. There's just so many details and tales packed into the novel that 3 movies can't do it justice.

Found the teenager

Yeah, with such masterful prose like that it's no wonder GRRM is considered to be a literary titan on the same level as JRR

GRRM has laughable prose in general. That paragraph is a great example.

Not controversial enough.
To get the TV audience you have to shock them every season.
Sex, treachery, shallow "politics", quirkiness.
That's what the TV audience wants, and why derivative shit like Spartacus and GoT managed to get 4 seasons while good stuff can't even get a pilot.
LOTR would be boring for normies, and with a TV budget it'd look like Xena.