Just found out my girlfriend of 6 months used to be anorexic...

Just found out my girlfriend of 6 months used to be anorexic. She if “fine” now but she doesn’t like to talk about it. Has anyone dealt with this? I just want to know what I’m getting into before we move in together.

You'll find packages of cream cheese everywhere dude. We're not talking about a little either. It will become a part of your life. If you can deal with it then yeah

There's nothing to expect dude just be with her if you like her bro

I don’t know much at all about it I just don’t want to think she’s throwing up every time she goes to the bathroom.

Haha dude anorexic and bulimic are not the same thing.

I love everything about her I just don’t want this to hurt our relationship. I think it is related to the fact that she doesn’t think she’s good enough for me and thinks im going to break up with her every time I’m upset

Do you not have google though?

i deal with ana myself, and i mostly just feel weak an tired often but other than that im a pretty normal person and besides being skinny you wouldnt even notice

She said she had “everything” obviously I need to do more research though.

That's a good thing, she'll place more value in the things you do for her, and she'll be less demanding if she's afraid to lose you.

Eating disorders are really rough on people and they have long lasting effects. Just be empathetic and sensitive towards the issue.
Food might seem like an everyday, no big deal but to some it has deep rooted emotional issues & trauma connected to it.

source: gf was bulimic 10 years ago and still is dealing with repercussions

I do but I’m just looking for general advice on how I can help her etc.

Oh that is more serious then, my girlfriend was just anorexic but probably hasn't thought about it for a year now. It does mean she probably has low self-esteem or is self-conscious, which can be a red flag. But not a big deal and don't worry about it too much.

Just look out for her skipping meals and remind her to eat. My ex was a vegan, but that was only to cover up her eating disorder. It got to the point where I had to "remind"(force) her to eat every day or two. Good luck user.

Lucky bastard. If she ever gets fat you can easily make her lose it again

if shes fine now dont worry about it. Skinny bitches still fuck good. Plus if shes anorexic enough she cant get preggers. Win win faggot

She wakes up really early and runs everyday because she feels like she has to. What signs should I look for so that it doesn’t get bad again?

Ma nigga

I can’t remind her because it reminds her of her parents and she thinks I’m trying to fix her when she is convinced she doesn’t have a problem. We just need to talk about it more but every time I try she ends up crying and upset.

thats kind of a sign in itself thats something we do because if we're not in neg calories its usually counted as a bad day, maybe just keep her on a healthy diet so she doesnt feel like she HAS to burn that off because if its good for you its a lot easier to allow yourself to let it happen and i would let her exercise, itll be obvious when she starves, she'll consume a lot of caffiene and spend a little too long in the bathroom, things like that

Imo if you have an anorexic gf, anal should be mandatory.

I've known quite a few people with the disorder, and I've studied it.

Be VERY careful about how you discuss weight around her. But yes, if she is "fine" now, you likely won't have to worry too much about "making her eat meals."

Look out for purging behaviors and be mindful of her weight.

If she actively starving or purging or both, and shit gets out of hand. Yes. Its going affect both of you negatively.

Maybe don't move in with her after only being with her for 6 months. If you are just now learning she had been anorexic at one point there are going to be a lot more things you don't know and may affect you

Supposedly she has been good for 3 years but I know she is still dealing with it. What can I do to help her / recognize if she is struggling?

That's a sign in itself. Here's what you do. Don't make a big deal out of it, don't be overly sensitive about, go out to eat together and make food together so it is an enjoyable even and she will learn to view eating as a positive thing. Also let her know that she looks good how she is (without being a bitch about it) and could probably even gain a few pounds (cause she probably could and look better). If you go out to eat and she hasn't eaten much, tell her that she will be hungry later and encourage her to eat more. Just make food a positive thing and don't act like it's a big deal.

She mentioned it when we started dating but I’m just now starting to peel away at what she went through. It’s even hard for me to talk about it because I just feel so bad for her and it’s hard to be empathetic because I can’t relate that easily. I am aware that moving in is a big deal.

If I see purging behaviors what do I do? I don’t want to have to put my ear up to the bathroom door and worry about it all the time.

Thanks for the advice.

Just a heads up, if your girl ever gets over her problems shes going to have the worst eating habits imaginable because it used to be held in check by her self esteem. No joke I've seen so many chick do this and end up super fat in about 6-12 months.

anorexia isnt a big deal tbh

Boohoo you fucking queer. You have a thin gf and if she gets too bony you can order her to eat like a dog. Fuck that's the best of both worlds.

tbh - just love her for who she is and don't judge. the more you give her space to be comfortable with you, the more likely she will turn to you if she has troubles.

Go back to watching Bridget Jones Diary ya faggot.

Nah, that's usually not the case. If you know someone is anorexic or they tell you without you dating them or having known them for a while they probably aren't really anorexic.
Yeah, but the hard part is getting her to eat without her becoming a blubbering mess. that won't work out too well.

just be supportive. she will talk to you when/if she's ready. 6 months isn't a long time. It took my gf years before she could talk about it and I can tell she's still not comfortable.

I’m more concerned about her insecurities trust issues and low self esteem. I could care less if she lost or gained a little weight. I just want her to be healthy and not worry about stuff.

I suggest researching via google and eating disorder help sites to help yourself better understand. Once you have a better grasp you might be able to help her with better habits without being obvious/invasive

I was best friends with her for a year before we started dating. (Yes you can escape the friend zone). She really only talks about it with me when she’s really drunk.

Fuck you op.

Pic is not related but my girlfriend is 22 5’4” and blonde if that helps.

It's going to take a LONG time to fix those issues, like years. You can't talk her into anything or reason with her, you have to just be a rock and be reliable in treating her like a normal person and encouraging healthy behaviors. She will gradually gain higher self-esteem through that.

Also look out for shit-tests like if she ask you if you think she is pretty, refuse to answer a question like that. She should know you think she looks good by the way you act, and the fact that you are still dating her. You can explain that to her, obviously.

It’s interesting because on the outside she has her shit together. She is super outgoing and ambitious but In reality she worries about the dumbest things.

Don't stick your dick in crazy.

Too late and for the user that suggested anal no we have not tried it but it has accidentally happened twice.