Guys ive been wondering, arent stars such as the sun made of gas ? if so...

guys ive been wondering, arent stars such as the sun made of gas ? if so, how does the gas stay in its place in the shape of a ball ? i know gravity from the center and all, but sense its a gas how does it have central gravity and why wont all the gas just fly away into the space ??

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star
youtube.com/watch?v=NcsmEihwUb4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're in the wrong place asking this, bud.

because everything has mass

mass what ?

this is a legit thread with a question in it u fuck, no time for trolls like u

the same way gas stays on earth? the sun has an atmosphere to keep its mass in place

the gas tries to escape, but after reaching a certain height it burns up, keeping the sun alive so to speak.

some escapes. a lot doesn't. it burns away before it can.

They're made of plasma, not gas, but the explanation is similar.

Plasma (or gas) has mass just like solids and liquids do. Gather enough of that mass in one place, and it has enough of a gravity to hold itself together in a sphere.

Stars generally form in nebulas, which are thick clouds of gas and dust in space. In places where the density of the gas and dust is thicker, clumps can start to form due to gravity, and over millions of years, more and more gas gets pulled into the clump. If there's enough of it, the gravity compresses the hydrogen enough that fusion starts and a star is formed.

If you're serious go to /sci/ they can explain the concepts and the math to you, provided you know differential calculus n shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star

If some how took the gas and it put on a scale it would weigh a certain amount. Everything has mass and mass is energy all things have gravitional effect

gas has mass. mass has gravity. gravity make ball. thermonuclear fusion explode ball. outward and inward forces balance, resulting in size of star.

oh god my head is spinning
i think im going to throw up user WHAT IN THE LITERAL FUCK IS THIS THREAD

Sun doesn't rotate at the same rate. Because the Sun is not solid, but is instead a giant ball of gas and plasma, different parts of the Sun spin at different rates.

We can tell how quickly the surface of the Sun is rotating by observing the motion of structures, such as sunspots, on the Sun's visible surface. The regions of the Sun near its equator rotate once every 25 days. The Sun's rotation rate decreases with increasing latitude, so that its rotation rate is slowest near its poles. At its poles the Sun rotates once every 36 days!

The interior of the Sun does not spin the same way as does its surface. Scientists believe that the inner regions of the Sun, including the Sun's core and radiative zone, do rotate more like a solid body. The outer parts of the Sun, from the convective zone outward, rotate at different rates that vary with latitude. The boundary between the inner parts of the Sun that spin together as a whole and the outer parts that spin at different rates is called the "tachocline".

The behavior of the Sun's magnetic field is strongly influenced by the combination of convective currents, which bring the charged plasma from deep within the Sun to the Sun's surface, and the differential rotation of the outer layers of the Sun. The complex, swirling motions that result make a tangled mess of magnetic field lines at the Sun's surface.

+1, I didn't know that.

Good job user

youve taught me that suns are made of plasma. cool

is OP actually retarded or just bait ?

ohhhhhhh lmafo, i thought u meant something like mass extinction or mass murder, i didnt realize the context sry

Both is usually a safe answer here.

The Sun has a verbal agreement with the Moon and Space.

I'm thinkin about nuggets tbqhwy fam

It has as much mass as 332,946 Earths, so it has a lotta gravity.

That said, a lot of that gas does manage to shoot off, as it regularly has eruptions violent enough to break that nearly unimaginable escape velocity... Which is why we're glad we have this whole magnetic field setup (webm related). Granted, we missed being fried to a crisp by a few months, back in 2013, anyways, and one or two of the global extinction events may have been high end solar flares, so it's not 100% protection - but better than a condom.

Stars are born because loose gas attracts other loose case, and eventually you get enough in one place to make a star. The sun is no exception, though there's some evidence to suggest it was the result of a compression event (two nearby novas), rather than gas simply sitting around in a stellar nursery nebula, as it is with most stars.

Also

The sun is flat.

wrong. it is the earth that is flat

U wot m8. I'm passionate about my flat sun theory. Don't make me go and fetch my pile of retarded evidence.

Because it's not gas, it's the 4th state of matter, Plasma. When gasses are super heated they turn to plasma which is what stars are made of.
Atomic Bonds and Gravity are what keep it together

Kraut space magic

gotta go fast

Because the sun is flat with invisible walls so the gas cannot fall off the edges #flatsun.

youtube.com/watch?v=NcsmEihwUb4

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

aka i dont know but i'll pretend to be smart

This
Plus as the mass continues to rise and the gravitational forces climb, the atoms in the center of the star will be subjected to such pressure that they will undergo nuclear fusion, becoming helium. These will accumulate and when the grav pressure is strong enough will fuse again into element 3, this will go on until iron. So the center of the star becomes heavier and heavier, creating an ever stronger pull inwards. If the sun if big enough and the conditions right, when it reaches critical mass it will go supernova (or neutron) creating elements heavier than iron like gold silver and platinum.
The end
/thread

The sun is flat (#flatsun) and is held in place by God. Thought everyone knew this.