Beck's new album out

listening to it roght now, seems fine haven't been expecting this sound

what the difference between versions of dreams?

beck went pop
it's shit

yeah, he never made pop music before

modern mainstream pop. you know what i mean. it's shit.

his older "pop" stuff like midnite vultures is far more creative and interesting than this overproduced trash. that elliott smith ripoff song is pretty good though.

it's great. not an attempt to recreate odelay or smth. i thought it's gonna be more like midnite vultures however this is something completeley different from what he was doing before.

style is weird/cheese

still very inventive musically tho, lots of interesting stuff even if not my 'genre' or whatever. i think it's a solid record

>people were like uhh he's not inventing anything like guero is poor man's odelay and so on
>releasing something really fresh and new
>people are like uhh older beck was cooler

>Album has two versions of the worst track
Dreams was released three years ago for fucks sake

>Fresh and new
>Morning Phase
Yeah, can't get enough of that unique voice + guitar combo, never seen that before!

clearly no actual Beck fans on this board

I mean colors is a style he never touched before. Morning Phase is Sea Change pt. 2

everything is too clear I can't actually believe it's him

Sounds like Coldplay
This is sad

you're smoking dust if you think it sounds like coldplay

unironically one of his best

I was expecting it to be shit but it's alright, maybe one of the better things he's done since Midnite Vultures. Wow still sucks tho

hes always been a coldplay ripoff

especially on mellow gold

wow is perfect when stoned
can feel this flute all over my body
other songs are cool tho some are blend and lifeless and miss depth idk
fix me is second favourite

I’m amazed there’s Beck thread without mentioning Scientology

He's talking about this album dipshit.

Top kek

Guero will always be his best album

Also I stopped listening to Beck when I was 15, he's literally Gorillaz-tier "I dont like mainstream" music

That’s because Beck had always been and always will be derivative nonsense.
Mellow Gold was not the most original album of them all, and it was more than anything him just trying to be “le whacky eclectic country man”. Odelay is almost nothing but samples, and I love the shit out of that rip-off album. Mutations is nothing special, and he enlisted Godrich to help him because Radiohead worked with him to awesome success. Midnite Vultures was a pathetic attempt to be Prince and other such artists, even one track being much too evocative of his work. Sea Change was a venture into Bob Dylan and Nick Drake territory. Guero was Odelay: Great Value version, with a second track reminscing Hey Ya! The Information was pseudointellectual Herbie Hancock stealing bullshit. Modern Guilt was 33 mins long because he wanted to guarantee some level of quality to it, and Kid A was an influence. Morning Phase was more acoustic singer-songwriter hogwash, boring and dull as heck. Beck’s career exists because of his father and The Dust Brothers. He pretends to be an instrumental genius but I’m sure he does little of value for his LP’s. You want to see a real versatile artist? Sufjan Stevens. You wanna be mad about some artist being underrated on here? The Flaming Lips. So any time any of you Sup Forumstants need a reminder why he’s never discussed here, screenshot this. Odelay for life.

is that shitty "WOW" song on this new album?

yeah, unfortunately. the rest is good

Forgot to mention. Beck has fallen so low now that he has resorted to doing Trap (Wow), ripping off MGMT (Dreams), and ripping off The Weeknd (Up All Night). Pathetic.

Most notable change for me was he says “stop dragging down my dreams” instead of “stop fucking with my dreams” other than than there’s some slight changes in the mix

that is the point, he is just a musical goofball who finds things he has fun with and rips them off and makes no bones about it or tries to hide it. next we might get a blues album where he sounds drunk. it's just nonsense, fun music. it's beck.

Not gonna lie, listening to Seventh Heaven right now.
I like it!
M83 influenced.

Yea but he's the face of that scene ironically

solid pop album

Just started listening to it. I'm really liking it.

7th Heaven is my favorite song so far

ok comp is just an attempt to be pink floyd
and so on.
however that’s just your opinion man

did you not hear the song "WOW" like a year back? that song was full on Beck selling out.

>ripping off The Weeknd
Yeah, so many great things come from The Weeknd's mind, such a great producer

>Guero will always be his best album
mah nigga

he even sound guilty when talks about it. like he didn’t even wanted to release but his kids liked it
I like this song btw

Who cares about Scientology anymore this isn't 2008

youre no fun if you dont like this a even a little bit

OKC was influenced by PF
Not a ripoff of them
But k

the same as beck
unfuences

feel good album. should've been released in summer though.

I feel like this album exists because of his performance at Glastonbury last year

Vast majority of the crowd didn't know any of the songs, at one point he even said "I don't know what to play for you people". It was kinda sad.

Really like the album though

yeah definitely not a fall album

my thoughts exactly

shills

Man you're not far off. I'm guessing these other anons haven't hear them past Viva la Vida.

already waiting for his next

I really don't like Wow.

Everything else is really fun, though. Not topping Guero for me; it's got a weird glossy finish that feels a little like they sanded off too many edges.

>when the guitar ramps up in I'm So Free
Hell yea.

Anyway, I'm also in the camp that would have preferred this as a summer album. I also have a sinking feeling that we'll get really sick of hearing a few of the tracks being overused in ads.

I'm kinda eh on it right now, it doesn't really feel like the creative Beck I know well. I'll try it out again. Colors, Seventh Heaven and Wow are good though

Que onda guero!

listening two it for the third time now
still waiting for some weird shit to happen

It's a great album. Some of his best tracks in quite a while.

Yeah, disappointed with this as well as the new St Vincent. No issue with them as artists focusing on a more pop/mainstream sound and appeal. It's just not my thing. Hope they focus on something else for their next albums.

Idk much about St Vincent, but Beck jumps all over the place from album to album.

They both sort of do. Beck is just more drastic about it. I still admire both as artists even when their output doesn't coincide with my own preferences. This is fun, pop music. I was hoping with the advent of the Trump Era, we'd get more protest albums, ala Roger Waters, or just slightly darker material. However, St. Vincent's new single Pills is quite topic-relevant. Beck's Wow, not so much. Dear Life, though....

Check out Relatives in Descent by Protomatyr if you're looking for good, recent protest music.

Listened to it twice, its fun and catchy, but not really anything amazing. I haven't actually listened to any of Beck's other stuff beyond Odelay and Geuro, so idk how it compares to his other stuff. Solid pop album.