Why do people hold their guitars like this? All it does is inhibit your playing ability

Why do people hold their guitars like this? All it does is inhibit your playing ability.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fU9fTmTsssA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What do you mean? how should they hold it?

do you mean the overextended thumb on the fret board?

This would be the prime position to hold it, from where if you had it in a sitting position and then stood it would be roughly about there. Though going slightly higher is probably better.
No, that's fine. It's that it's slung so low.

Having it low makes it easier to bend and add vibrato for some people.

Guitarists should always hold the guitar either above or below the dick, never covering the dick. Deaner himself says this, so why doesn't he do it?

It looks 10x better low

Because all they do is strum of key, no need for proper form

You may not like it, but this is what peak male performance looks like.

This is good as well. Anything slung too low inhibits the speed and control of your right hand picking and can put strain on your left hand wrist. It's also not too great for your back or neck.

That is an awkward angle to pick at, good sir

That's not true. It looks better the more confident you are with it. Kids these days hold the guitar low to be just like Slash (mpbuh) or Jimmy Page and are scared to do anything but that. If you hold it however it's most comfortable and are confident with it, it'll look fine.

methinks OP doesn't play guitar good

Good's subjective. I have played for 13 years though. I mainly play Jazz.

clyp me some of your playing breh

Can't right now, on mobile. I have a few recordings that I have to finish mixing and can upload later.

I'll play it how I like cheers

LOL FAILURE

YOU LOST FAGGOT

does this form meet requirements?

not everybody has the same arm length to torso length ratio. dumb thread.

like it's your baby

That's the most ergonomic position for seated play, tilted up at 45 degree angle and resting on the left leg (for right handed players) is what most classical guitarists do and I find I make less mistakes practicing like that, but the bottom line is whatever you are used to playing with that makes you the most comfortable is the best. In the math rock/prog community, basically any player who does more tapping than anything else I've seen a lot of guys who play with the guitar up high basically resting on their breastplate because they use a very tight strap.

Cause unless u swinging low you look like a geek ass bitch lmao

>not sitting down while playing

also done for easier hard and fast rhythm. ramones are the best example, can pretty much only sound authentic for extended periods of playing if you have it extremely low. no upstrokes for you motherfucker

>limiting yourself to a single position

>playing a kind of rock music and not being able to move with it

>hasn't listened to "Bumblebee", "L.M.L.Y.P.", "Buckingham Green", "Spinal Meningitis", "Golden Eel", "Falling Out", or "Cover It with Gas and Set It On Fire"
>All it does is inhibit your playing ability

Uh-huh, sweetie.

That's my preference. With my strap on the guitar still floats a bit while I'm sitting. That way there's adjustment.

It's just rock fashion. There's no reason to do it. Dean explains why he does it in this vid though. His guitar teacher taught him that it's important to keep the guitar either above or below the dick. Not covering the dick.
youtube.com/watch?v=fU9fTmTsssA

This

You rock that pick slant and it"s great too! You can alternate/eco pick like a mother this way, Makes the strings a little less perpendicular so the pick glides better... In theory

>needing to move because "rock n roll wooo"

Sorry but your post doesn't apply to me since you have the hands reversed :/

They do it because it looks cool idot

>wrist angled down
>wears a wrist brace
Clearly that's not optimal.

That's called pick slanting you dumb fuck! Have you ever watched Steve Morse, Yngwie, Vai, Michael Batio, Paul Gilbert. It's clear you've never hear McGlaughlin who's pictured in the photo you replied to, another amazing slanted, alternate picker.

Oh and there's Guthrie Govan, Marty Friedman, Sup Forums's gay crush Fripp, and Satriani? Need I name more?

>below the dick
how tho

I've never thought low-slung guitars looked cool

I hold my guitar like the guitarist from the Strokes.

I'm getting heavy (((of the tribe))) vibes here

I like how George wears his strap

think again

That's how you should play the bass

>tfw upwrong bass

No it isn't.

Richard Fortus has the dumbest tattoos.

>not shitting in an invisible toilet when you riff

never gonna make it

thats authentic maori tribal shit

>Moving to music is somehow a bad thing
What kind of backwards ass contrarianism have you masturbated your way into

>tfw everyone not keeping their thumb on the bottom half of a guitar neck is technically playing wrong

Classical guitarists may prefer it.

>using chopsticks for rice

This.
Albert is the perfect example on how real men should hold the guitar. Absolute beast.

maori tribes are pretty dumb, think about it

This is true. I can vouch for him. You can play significantly cleaner and faster by doing that.

What a fucking pleb

Based Bob Dylan technique is the one true way

Adrian Belew somehow managed to play with his guitar hanging at his fucking knees. I guess it helps when you mostly make feedback beep boop, and he stopped the habit by the time he was in King Crimson.

this looks so fucking uncomfortable

Froosh way is best way

because the fucking huge gut, are you blind?

>not strapping your guitar around your waist

Good luck at trying to make bends with that thumb position

The lower, the more try-hard.

below the dick is where it's at

BUT YOU'LL LOOK LIKE A MUSHROOM!

we call those people "incapable retards"

Cuz his dick goes down to his knees cuz it's so big lmao

Rule of thumb:

The center back of your guitar should be at the height of your dick. Thats how you make sweet love and dont forget to move your hips.

It's not inhibiting his.

I don't know... still looks a bit flaccid to me.

this is the lowest acceptable position

rip :(

rip in pieces back

It's good for individual strings