What's some essential WW1-core to watch? So far I've watched Joyeux Noel and Lawrence of Arabia...

What's some essential WW1-core to watch? So far I've watched Joyeux Noel and Lawrence of Arabia. I'm about to watch Gallipoli.

Any other recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_des_Buttes_(Battle_honour)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusilov_Offensive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Battle of the Somme (1916)

Paths of Glory is the obvious recommendation

Saving Private Ryan

>1916
Can I get some newer ones please?

Westfront 1918, All Quiet on the Western Front (OK, but mandatory), Le Croix de Bois, Tannenberg, Mountains on Fire

The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands

Newsreel footage

The Lost Battalion is pretty good. It is a made for tv movie but it is better than some real movies.

Can someone explain to me why this war is so irrelevant compared to ww2? Why do people not find this one as interesting?

I'm no expert, but I'd reckon that trench warfare and static attrition battles don't really make much room for heroic exploits that audiences like. There are exceptions, sure, but the First World War seems a lot more futile than the second. There weren't really very many D-Days, Stalingrads, or Kursks that turned the tide. So me and Verdun were pretty much just massive meat grinders.

It happened too long ago and it is far more complex than ww2

It's very simple: there are no good and evil guys.
Audiences want to watch heroes and villains, not some grey area meaningless war.

America had very little to do with it. They make all the shitty movies which bring stuff to the attention of the plebs.

less technology

Only one of these wars had holocaust.

Paths of Glory

Watch Paths of Glory if you haven't already. Listen to Blueprint for Armageddon if you have some time to kill. Also The Great War on YouTube put out good content every few days.

Yeah, technology played no role in how that stalemate that was trench warfare came to be.
Technological advances making old tactics completely obsolete played no role whatsoever.
*cough*cough*
Unless you mean that tanks are more fun to watch than machine guns and hot air balloons and Fokkers makes you sleepy compared to Spitfires and Messerschmidts in which case I retract my childish sarcastic swing at you.
Needless to say technology was, in my opinion at least, THE factor that decided how that war played out. Not tactics or strategy, not heroic deeds or anything else. Just that simple fact that moving across open land when the other guy has a machine gun is utterly pointless.

Always nice to see someone who knows what they're talking about absolutely blow the fuck out of some retard.

Nice trips too

America didn't do much in WW1, so Hollywood doesn't want to make movies of it because it won't appeal to an American audience.

The Lighthorsemen. It's hands-down the best WWI film. It features the Aussie Light Horse in their famous cavalry charge at Beersheba.

Everyone was kind of shitting themselves behind the trenches all the time, partly because chemical warfare suddenly became a big thing again.

The jews pulled a lot of crucial moves back then toward their goal of world domination (balfour declaration, the bolshevist revolution et al) which was very plain to see for everyone paying attention (which is why "anti-semitism" was on the rise afer ww1) so naturally (((Hollywood))) wants to divert attention away from the whole subject matter

The ramblings of a mentally ill person, everyone

Grande Illusion, All Quiet on the Western Front, the Big Parade, King of Hearts
WWII was more recent and has better "bad guys" they can villify.

Yep agreed

>Have no counter-argument
>I know, i'll just use nonsensical ad hominem instead

Kys you retarded kike lmao

Fuck you

>heroic exploits that audiences like

There are quite a few if you're willing to look for them. This is one involved my old local regiment.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_des_Buttes_(Battle_honour)

I made a poor generalization, of course there WERE- just not the crowd-pleaser big victories. See your example, even. Stalling an advance in a battle most people have never heard of and retreating with 40-80 men isn't going to be a hit at the box office. compare that with the (tired but successful) use of D-Day with its clear victory against overwhelming odds and name recognition.

I've reported you to the IDF, מסתערבים are on their way to bag you. Good luck!

תהין החבל שלך

all quiet on the western front, of course.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusilov_Offensive

A Very Long Engagement.

Lost Battalion is pretty good

War Horse if you like gay horses

What Price Glory (John Ford, 1952)

I think it's rather ironic that WW1 is kind of stuck in the shadows since that's when the science of propaganda really took off. The war provided the opportunity for an enormous case study of how to disseminate ideas & attitudes across the country and the world.

I find the whole period of the Victorian Era leading up to and culminating in WW1 immensely interesting. One of the world's most dramatic tragedies.