Is it legal to build a castle in th US...

Is it legal to build a castle in th US? I imagine it would be against zoning laws in a lot of areas because of its heights.

A. Could you build a castle like this but modify it to be earthquake proof?

B.Would it's core have to be steel flexible beams and the stone appearance just a faux one?

C. Also a castle picture thread if you want to contribute.

Other urls found in this thread:

en(DOT)wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_Castle_State_Park
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Isn't state law nothing over 3 stories without a special permit or something.

Might not technically be a castle, but Disneyworld has one, so I don't see why not.

Well, lots of states having laws regulating height. I'm curious what you could do to mitigate earthquake risk as well.

There's nothing really stopping you from doing it. It's the same process as building any other building. You'd need to follow correct zoning laws for height restrictions and whatever other laws are required as well though.

I imagine that it wouldn't really be built of stacked stone. Maybe just plates of it on the outside of the wall. It would,have to be able to flex during earthquakes.

hearstcastle.org

That would depend where you build it. Not everywhere is at risk for earthquakes.

Well, true, but if I ever did it (not likely) I'd want it to be very tall with lots of floors and bridges ect. I'd want as much castle kind of stuff as I could get in. Ki d of like the winchester mystery house, but built upwards and cryptic.

I'd want some cathedral like elements too.

I'd imagine there's going to be limitations on height due to the swaying of buildings. High rises can twist and bend due to wind and they're designed to do so.

might as well ask if its legal for you to build a space station or any other thing that doesn't matter
>youWillnever.jpg

>best entrance to a castle.
I saw this on some type of shitty "scare" show. They lit it up with spooky Hollywood lighting and led them here at night in the moat blindfolded. Walking up and out to the front walkway is very impressive.

Disney was modeled from this one, right?

Probably right, I suppose this is more of a fantasy house thread.

Although I'm learning to be more open minded about possibilities. I graduated summa cum laude and jumped 3 career ranks in a few years.

It looks like it huh? I'm not sure I haven't seen the disney ones up close. Here's some pics for ref.

that's the spirit. Start small and grow from there
bouncyCastle.gif

I wonder if they have some architecture applications what would let you plan one just design wise.

Revit should be able to

Awesome, I'll check it out.

Texas doesnt have zoning laws so assuming theres nothing else going against it you could build a castle in the suburbs or wherever else you please

I know for a fact that castles are allowed to be built in the US.
Since you seem to be a complete castle-fag. I'll throw you a bone.
Find it yourself, but there is a real castle being built somewhere in America right now. I saw a show about it. The kicker is it's not some jew stucco faggot monstrosity being called a "castle"; its as true of a castle as they get.
Part of the stipulation of the build by the owner is that no modern technology be used in the making of the castle. FUCKING NONE.
Its been many years in construction by a small group of employees who have contracted for their entire careers to this castle.(just like old times) .
I think I recall they are even required to wear period clothing too while they build it.
What diabolical, sick, rich, fuck would do this?
Like a fucking boss.

Yeah, the Disney castle was modeled after this one. I still think it's the most impressive castle I've seen. But I'm no expert.

I recently visited this place where a rich dude built a castle with a spectacular cliff view over the river.

en(DOT)wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_Castle_State_Park

Haha awesome. The only thing that worries me about not integrating modern tech would be height and flex limitations. I'd kind of want some long creepy bridges and some towers that freak you out. Maybe a flexible bridge between some high towers.

Imagine if you put a climbing wall on the back side out of just stone peices that goes 18 floors up with resting spots every 8 floors.

Or a zip line running between towers.

I see this castle every time I visit family in Kentucky,USA.
its right off the highway.
I think I heard will shatner owned it before, now its some kind of hotel or something where people can rent for weddings. Its pretty impressive.

Not bad

That's cool. I live in sacramento and I've seen a few places that have built castle like hoses that are awesome. I've been to that small castle in Calistoga too.

its in France not the US, All built with midevil tech and its not done yet

here are some of the guys building it.

Pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure a project I'd favor a little modern tech to push the limits though.

the original owner would be pissed at the modern depiction

>as soon as they finish
>My family and myself shall occupy that castle
>dispose of old owners
>buy 2 years of food with foodstamps
>garrison up and fend off all local/national threat

This is pretty awesome. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking bigger. What if the US out of spite built a castle. I mean fuck the Washington monument. Why not build a 30 story rediculous castle just because you can.

Tourist fees would probably pay it down fast, I mean who the fuck wouldn't want to go?

Disgusting

it looks all set up for a moat and everything.

Lulz

Imagine having a forrest around it that you populate with odd animals like waterdeer.

I dont think it has the tennis court and pool before. That was when a company bought it for commercial purposes. also the parking-lot right next to the wall. Why they wouldnt put parking a little further from the castle is beyond me.

bump for awesome thread

THIS IS COMPLETELY RELEVANT
>A
Yes, but it'll drastically spike up the cost and push back the construction timeline.
>B
Whatever works best for your circumstances.
Depends on the state, from what I understand. I assume getting paperwork for a castle done in America is easier the further away it is from an airport or city center.

Romania has dank castels

Imagine it was on like 40 acres or more of its own land and you could put any animals in the forrests. What would you put there to freak people out?

As many cassowaries as is safe, raised from birth. They're the closest we'll get to guard-dinosaurs.

I'm thinking sugar gliders, zebra platapus, waterdeer.

Trying to think of some others.

Striped hyenas are pretty cool.

Probably large lizards too for effect.

Maybe some gila monsters we breed for size.

Yeah with enough money and lawyers you can build anything in the us.

like they do in the mideast.
giant guard cats

Maybe part of it could be a sanctuary for the world's biggest animals so big game hunts don't kill them.

and get taxpayers to fund it.
>NFL statiums

Agreed,
Just tell them you are a major corporation and the government will build it for you

I always had the thought of building a castle one block at a time, one day at a time. Just add a block every day, kinda like brushing teeth or taking a shower. Just a regular daily thing to lay a block down. On some days maybe do more work, but wonder how many decades before anything reasonable comes out.

Oh, look, it's Orlais

Not building a giant castle with animals of unusual size would be racist.

well, the above castle will take about 30 yrs. 50 or so people working 40 hrs per week, I'm guessing. So just extrapolate out from there.

Your result would depend on your blueprint and the standard size of your blocks.
Stacking up a river rock once a day for eighty years likely wouldn't have as much of a result as doing so with refrigerator-sized stones.

The structure on that is cool. Too many color though. May just stone color or bright red would be cool.

so I could build the shitter only

good point. If I use large blocks its done faster, but then its more of a task than flossing or brushing teeth.

I suppose massive planning would make the effort worth it.

its like 14th century Europe meets a belizean coke dealer

>Could you build a castle like this but modify it to be earthquake proof?
Outside of the west coast most of the US doesn't really need special considerations for earthquakes. Ya you could

>.Would it's core have to be steel flexible beams and the stone appearance just a faux one?
Likely wood or steel frame with a stone veneer.

While not the sturdiest material to build a castle with, pumice should be somewhat easy to handle in massive quantities.

Not possible.

I'd want some super ornate elements on part of it like a cathedral.

>isn't state law nothing over 3 stories

depends on the state. :^)

I guess I never really thought of a castle as that tall. for me its more about the look. you could build a mansion sized castle easy i think.

probably okay for use as a facade and non-load bearing walls

Its possible, but probably going to be disappointing

awesome, but that Gothic cathedral is for looks only. True castles are built for fightin' and defense. Cant have both.
I want my Castle nig nog proof.

that is a nice castle. seems more than big enough to me.

if you want bigger you should spread out not up, give it wings, you know? you'd probably need this to be a big joint venture amongst many people.

I'd just fund it through tourism and weddings. I'd charge 35 to 50k for a wedding there every day.

If done every day that's a bit over 18 million a year.

Obviously I'd like movie scenes fim parts of it for maybe 4 million.

>id like movie scenes fim parts of it for maybe 4 million

that is not the going rate.

What the fuck are you talking about?
Thats a Church. If you want a tour, just walk the fuck in. If you want a wedding there just ask. Its a Cathedral

Rich people pay a ton for weddings in fancy places. I'd let them rent out part of the castle for a day to do it.

you could probably build one in canada if you owned enough property in the country, though i doubt you'd be able to get insurance for it. and if it was in canada you'd have to pay a lot more to weatherproof it.

1-your pic is of a church.
2-You want to rent out castles? its already done all over the world, and they are not rolling in the money. It takes care of upkeep/employees and little profit only.
Your fantasy of owning a castle now has another fantasy compounded upon it, whereby the market for commercial tourism of castles (new ones) is many hundreds of times reality.

Hell, why not go for the gold and tell us more about your Castle tour. Interstellar trips for a luxurious mars castle destination wedding.

A giant labrynth around it would be sick too

Goggle Bavarian pastels

Nice

Castillo de amoroso is pretty legit. Basically stole parts from Europe then copied them with an onsite black smith. In wine country in CA there are many. Is also earthquake country

wHY, are you the fag that won the powerball?

Eh, there's a few different ways to earthquake proof buildings. One way is to have base isolation that allows the foundation to divert the energy from the building itself. Also dry stone construction could work to make it less of an issue - that is, don't use mortar.
There's variations.

Sometimes that's the worst place to not have protection. Like in the U.S. west coast gets quakes all day, they build to protect for it. But the East coast doesn't get as many and doesn't build as much for it. The problem though is though because of that fact that ground on the East coast is very solid, whereas the West is very seperated and disperses waves really really well because it's like dirt. The east coast earthquakes hit way harder and way farther than the equivocal strengths on the west. There was an earthquake in Virginia that was felt all the way to Florida and Canada that California laughed at because it was low magnitude ignorant of the fact that their earthquakes are god damn pussies in comparison to what can happen on the east. While it's unlikely to get hit by one on the east, you're far far likelier to get your shit damaged by one on the east.

The castle of the gay realm

why does this hoofed creature hav fangs? or this is from a rat family?
I would want my castle to have a shallow river nears it, so platypus

No it isn't. Back over 100 years ago, a wealthy munitions ceo made a castle in up state New York. I know it was over 100 years ago but still. Search for Bannerman Castle. Pieces of it are still visible today.

kek
That jew did say he was going to do things that "mattered" for the world with the lottery money. Guess that means a castle tour industry.
Move over oil...here comes BigCastle