JOHN MAUS DEFENDS MDE

pitchfork.com/news/john-maus-speaks-on-involvement-with-canceled-alt-right-adult-swim-show/

>I don’t want to make any apology, but I also didn’t want to.... The guys I met were nice. They weren’t burning crosses or doing anything like that. In other words, I never had, from what I know about it, any indication that anything other than certain instances of a sort of trolling was going on. What did they do that made them Nazis? Maybe I haven’t looked into it. Or why were they alt-right people?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ytnFVbdlaSo
youtube.com/watch?v=HtRZFGUJnOA
youtube.com/watch?v=-1sbT4akXPg
youtube.com/watch?v=SHlRtGqFODc
youtube.com/watch?v=Rqfkuc5mawg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The reason I love this record - the reasons are too many. Unfortunately in this medium it doesn't lend itself to the kind of elaboration that record deserves but I think it's just a. It accomplished something entirely unforeseen was previously unimaginable with the language of pop with the along the esthetic trajectory of pop. A strange thing happens where we think we're hearing

John Maus is based and understands MDE are anarchist post-ironic cultural critiquing satirical provocateurs. He operates on a different plane intellectually like the MDE boys on the 6th dimension. Mainstream media and alt normies do not have the esoteric knowledge of Maus or Hyde to understand what's going on behind the scenes conceptually, because they are partially the target themselves.

aw yeah round 2

bro that's punk as FUCK

John Maus and MDE are accelerationists

based

this

cared about this a year ago

kek, are we going to have a regular /john mouse defends MDE/ thread now as a cover for daily political shitposting

maybe

>World Peace
>"Alt Right"

oh baby oh baby

Generally when I think of someone whose art involves provocation, I can tell what its message is. I don't think MDE are nazis or any shit, I understand that they're trolling, but I can't tell how it's any more than trolling? Where's the beauty of it? It's just memes and aimless cynicism as far as I can tell. Or is that the exact point and are they lampoons not of their characters, but of their own aim to critique?

Sam "Guilty Of Not Being Anti-White" Hyde

I think some things "make you think" but I also think there are skits that are just skits to make you laugh.

sp pitchfork has taken the route of ideaology before aesthetics I see

rather than try to understand the legitimate artistic elements of world peace they decide to paint it all with the same dumb brush.

>The episode in which Maus appeared also featured a disturbing sketch where a man trips his sister-in-law, causing her to fall through a glass table and bleed.

This brainlet is a high up at pitchfork?

jesus christ

Associate Editor, to be exact

Why does he look like Sasha grey in this pic

it's just post-irony

sincerity = believing what you say
irony = what you say is a joke, hyperbole, a smug exaggeration
post-irony = realizing that being ironic is retarded and still doing it anyway because lmao absurdism

MDE is post-ironic and it's pretty much impossible to tell what sam hyde's end-game is if he even has one, it's just pure absurdist amusement and doing things because you can and people laugh at the act without necessarily making any sincere interpretation

DEFEND JOHN MAUS AT ALL COSTS

I can't help but analyze this type of thing with the Big 5 personality traits

Maus and MDE would score on the high end of openness (creativity).
Pitchfork types would be moderately open types but also high in trait agreeableness.

with a high openness trait art and creativity override everything else. so you get art that does not care about how socially acceptable it is and appears as complete anti human insanity to 99.99% of people

pitchfork types will fall back on their agreeableness which means they cannot override their sense of "who is this offending" before they attempt to understand the art itself

I think you're likely to find these types of people on Sup Forums where we can circumvent the social bullshit and all that remains to talk about is the art

STEMfags on SUICIDE WATCH

wtf i no longer regret getting an Arts degree.

Feel bad for Maus. He seems ignorant of all the degenerate and slimy drama linked to MDE, which goes waaaaaaaaay beyond Nazi signs or a shitty fanbase.

I can understand that he doesn't want to throw them under the bus, seeing as they kind of raised his profile by leaps and bounds. But I hope it doesn't end up ruining his career.

>They weren't being very specifically racist by burning crosses, they were just being generally racist by doing a lot of other things that people have talked about and I've done no research in observing
>I'll give Sam and his friends a pass until he does something this very specific thing, for arbitrary reasons

This is a really bad argument. Defend or criticise Sam, I don't care, as long as your argument isn't this stupid.

he's right you know

your parents still do though

This is called "lazy comedy with no intellectual merit".

I'm sorry you can't understand the necessary role of the provocateur in society

The only reason why Sam would ever make "racist" jokes or comics is because he knows how much it riles up the sensitive brainlets. and there's a real kick to be had in that

that'd be cool and all if the premise wasn't retarded because STEMfags are more prone to reading autistic bullshit like formal logic than any other group besides people who specifically *major* in humanities, so basically he is implying that a situation got worse, when in reality it's only getting better. more people into philosophy than ever before.

also
>the STEM/humanities false dichotomy
not doing both is 89IQ when there is a shitload of overlap between maths, logic, language, etc.

also "boring, hackneyed retards"

when people imply STEM vs humanities, they really just mean low IQ continentals who "study" shit like the intersectionality and art history versions of humanities lmao

all the top analytic philosophers are mathematicians anyway.

This is a shit point to make, too. Provocateurs who don't have a point with what they say and do are a dime a dozen and aren't "worth" anything as creators of content. The fact that he's been compared to Lenny Bruce, Chris Morris, and George Carlin frequently is insane, because those men had interesting things to say by challenging the constructs of society and satirising the ridiculous stringency of it all.

The fact that you defend the outrageous Jerry Springer tier entertainment he pumps out while implying that it isn't "racist" (and therefore not that outrageous at all really) really illustrates how worthless he is when it comes . . . anything. He doesn't rile me up, he doesn't make me laugh, he doesn't make me think, and that piece he wrote about Adult Swim and Tim Heidecker just made me feel pity for him because he clearly puts a lot of work into this worthless career he's made for himself. Bill Burr riles me up, makes me laugh, and makes me think. He's not a simple provocateur and actually tells jokes about the hyper politically correct nature of certain people in society while still being generally "edgy" with his material. Sam Hyde is no Bill Burr. He's a C- level comedian who rides the wave of controversy to get views and trick people into believing he's a brilliant provocateur.

And it worked, apparently.

i think pitchfork types, especially now, would be high in trait Rat too

Maus is into continental philosopher and his IQ is way above yours.

>muh morals

a lot of absurdist comedy is nihilistic, you can't shitpost about sacred cows if you're a hindu yourself

The truth is all anti-comedy, or meta-comedy, is worthless. It is for the weak and cowardly. The idea is this. The performer does not find the comedy he sees to be funny. So he chooses the worst he can find and ridicules it. It is not comedy. It is critique. And it is not funny. And, of course, that is what is supposed to make it funny. But it has never worked. Never.

Many point to Andy Kaufman as an anti-comic. When they do, they expose themselves to be the idiots they are. Andy Kaufman was a comic. He used comedic techniques, he ridiculed no comedic techniques. Andy Kaufman was one of the greatest comics ever, because of his large arsenal of comedic weapons, which he used only when necessary. Andy Kaufman was not an anti-comic. But he spawned many. Being such a fine and original voice,

Andy Kaufman, a great comic, was misunderstood. But he was not misunderstood by the masses. They loved him. He was misunderstood by a small minority who were convinced he was misunderstood by the masses. And this minority was going to let everyone know that they understood, they “got” the ungettable Andy. And some grew up to take the stage, where their mission would be to follow in the footsteps of their hero, whom they considered misunderstood. And he was misunderstood.

By them. I say they because I don’t want to name anyone but I am sure you know of whom I speak. And so they perform their anti comedy which is comprised of this. ‘I have found a form of comedy I find bad so I will do it, but I will do it intentionally bad’ is their credo. Both are bad. Anti-comics, when you come right down to it are critics, which may be why they find favor among, guess who, critics.

>you can't criticise muh comedy because "it's so lol randumb absurd XD"

I've listened to Blue Jam all the way through several times. That is nihilistic, absurd, insane, and cruel. Sam Hyde is just shit.

Million Dollar Extreme created College Cunts, probably the best writing and filming in the last 30 years.

Yeah, it's absurd how this caught on when NOTHING in the show could be construed as "alt-right" (which doesn't even mean anything)
They're citing a woman getting tripped as evidence that it's "misogynistic". Meanwhile a man gets kidnapped, beaten, and explodes into red mist in the same episode.
Sam's actually WN, the others don't seem very political past general anti-establishment. World Peace wasn't political at all though, the only thing that comes close were a few skits mocking shit like psych meds being pushed on kids (the fact that criticizing this makes you a crazy nazi conspiracy theorist says a lot imo)

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Million Dollar Extreme. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Sam’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike MDE truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Charls’s existential catchphrase “Shoot a hot batch between your toes,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Sam Hyde’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a World Peace tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

lmao

And never repeated it.

>hehe guys wouldnt it be hilarious if i put on blackface and you filmed me ranting in stream of consciousness for 3 hours? dont worry if i dont say anything funny, we'll figure it out in editing... oh shit this sucks. oh well put it in anyway.

wtf I suddenly have lost all ability to read any works by dostoyevsky for some arbitrary reason.

tyler the creator praised that skit bro

>implying they did the angelic ascension as an afterthought purely through editing
IMMA START SCREAMIN

damn

You mean the meme man was blessed by the approval of another meme man? That's a relief.

I don't mean to say it makes their other content good, and honestly they peaked with college cunts. I'm just saying that college cunts is genius and no one has been able to top it.

no sam is simply capable of levitation

He's right but I'm hesitant to support this view because it'll invariably get mobbed by queer Islamic massage poetry majors
It's the duty of humanities to purge all the useless shit that's giving them a bad name, but they'll never cut off the endless supply of trust fund shekels
IRISH GIRLS!
I agree that MDE isn't for everyone but it's not meaningless. The backbone of pretty much they do is absurd mockery of society, be it politics, technology, or whatever dystopian corporate shit is going down. Obviously it's comedy, so it's not all serious and gloomy, but there's usually a real message or point to their stuff. Very little of their material is meaningless. If I had to sum it up I'd say it's about mocking parts of the zeitgeist that are normally celebrated, and embracing parts that normally are hated.

I wouldn't be surprised.
If you check Sams last.fm his favorite artist seems to be in that vein of thought.

Even if he isn't consciously an Accelerationist, as in he hasn't read about it, I think he might be reacting emotionally/artistically on its behalf in the sense of adopting the aesthetic of sensory overload and capitalist culture while being critical of it in content.

you are a faggot on the internet being mad because a comedian isn't moralfagging his shit into a nice little aesop fable

>maus is a continental philosopher

checked em

I can ensure you I'm actually smarter than him and could make him look like a mental midget if I ever met him IRL

>on Sup Forums, especially fucking Sup Forums
>IQ above 120

This is just a comfortable way of saying "I only care about something insofar as it entertains me".

it's very hard to describe the beauty of it but i think that's not really the thing that makes it profound or elevated for many (at least for me)
i guess the mde conception of human nature squared so strongly with my own and to have this community of people who understood somewhat the absurdity of our institutions... i am no voucher of absurdism as philosophy, but i can see how one is inclined toward it by the current culture
it's difficult to put the appeal into words. this vid remains one of my favorites from sam and i think it somewhat communicates the sentiment. check out billy the clown for a longer version youtube.com/watch?v=ytnFVbdlaSo

The fact that MDE have actually become part of that "normally celebrated" zeitgeist is a hard pill for many to swallow.

kek well it certainly seems to have worked perfectly on you anyway

>community of people who understood somewhat the absurdity of our institutions
Nailed it.
I'd call it blackpill without the most overt nihilism

so what

Fuck off, Sam.

same jawline

Our guy

ok, unironic question - i will tacitly acknowledge that liberal and left-leaning people are more INCLINED toward creative endeavors, for a number of reasons, some of which include their preference for an economic system in which they have more safety nets (meaning, perhaps, they are not inherently MORE CREATIVE), but, does it seem to anyone else like they are less likely than conservative people to engage with creative works that do not line up with their personal worldviews?

Sam Hyde is not real, 'he' is a simulacrum, a Russian psych weapon, being beamed right into your skull by the KGB. Many high level Russian psy war operatives have a background in the avant garde. MDE recuperates brechtian agitprop for neo-reactionary ends!

>Bill Burr makes me think

million dollar extreme is the most brilliant comedy troupe of the 21st century

it is a RULE of new liberalism to never engage with opposing views

Art is a part of the echo chamber circle jerk for leftists.

you gys are some catty cunts, no better than tmz
who gives a fuck

It's nothing, it's just lazy and hacky.

A frustrating part of the whole sjw vs anti sjw post-gamergate nonsense if you're just interested in art (and especially actually provocative outsider art) is how people here react. Someone throws out the word "faggot" in their work and even if it sucks and is extremely obvious, Sup Forums types feel the need to defend it as something incredibly smart and edgy. They would have been calling Stern a "genius" in the 90s for making homeless guys call each other niggers. And if you say that some poorly made stream-of-consciousness Sam Hyde skit is bad then you must just be triggered!!!

Outside of America maybe, I don't know.

In America this is only true if you ignore the large swath of the country where conservative and evangelical Christianity go hand in hand. I lived in a large Bible-belt city where you couldn't even find a copy of Harry Potter a decade ago because of how ban happy they were. Someone brought a Type O Negative CD to school and it was such a big deal that we burned secular CDs. This is was in a city with a quarter of a million people so not just a rural oddity.

>liberal and left-leaning people are more INCLINED toward creative endeavors
No, it's just that people who engage in creative endeavors typically follow the zeitgeist of the age, which today is post modernism and liberalism

and by "burned" I mean we physically burned them in a fire, not like CD-R copying lol

Oh yes because liberals never try to ban anything ever, nope, nutjobs only exist on the opposing side.

a successful television show was cancelled for basically being too masculine and for its creators perpetrating wrongthink. one year later it is dredged back up in a veiled attempt to defame a pretty-much apolitical musician. id say its a little deeper than mere gossip -- more like sounding the alarm on borderline-fascist behavior

The question was originally do they generally exist on the opposing (liberal) side... Let's not be hypocrites.

Didn't say or imply that retard.

if you think mde is masculine then you're definitely a faggot

have you watched television lately?

mde's audience is almost exclusively male

inb4 semantics

lol that does not make it masculine dumbass, otherwise most indie rock is masculines (it's not)

We live in the lamest imaginable cyberpunk dystopia. Our very reality is disintegrating due to information overload. The American empire is in a death spiral, quickly becoming ungovernable. communicative capitalism envelops us all, our identities are being demolished by pavlovian web content, often based on 'identity politics' (whatever that means) . MDE speaks for a generationally relevant sense of psychic disintegration. It's irrelevant whether Hyde is 'actually racist', Hyde is not a human being, but some sort of hyperreal multimedia event. Hyde reminds me of the demonic TV comedian in Philip K Dick's novel ''Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?''. MDE's content tells us SOMETHING about late capitalist hellscape that provided the conditions for it.

>if you think mde is masculine then you're definitely a faggot

greatest queer(tm) performance art of all time
youtube.com/watch?v=HtRZFGUJnOA

An identity defined by its opposition to something is still some identity politics shit, probably more than an identity defined by affiliation. That's the hypocricy of MDE as I see it, and it's the only thing that offends me about it.

some videos to give an insight to the mind of sam
youtube.com/watch?v=-1sbT4akXPg
youtube.com/watch?v=SHlRtGqFODc
youtube.com/watch?v=ytnFVbdlaSo

i guess we werent watching the same show

>An identity defined by its opposition to something is still some identity politics shit, probably more than an identity defined by affiliation. That's the hypocricy of MDE as I see it, and it's the only thing that offends me about it.

I understand Sam Hyde as an alien artefact produced by a fucked late capitalist society. A situationist prank/fascinating psychiatric case study. Maybe Sam Hyde is just a more nihilistic Nathan Barley:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rqfkuc5mawg

Counterculture has always been an outlet for capitalist society's repressed death drive think punks with swastikas and NO FUTURE.

>mfw Boards of Canada will be considered alt-right music eventually when the SJWs catch up with it
Fucking hell

Sam Hyde's humor is the equivalent of this. If you're over 16 and find this crap funny you're retarded.

Nah, because BoC actually has some redeeming qualities

It's because they offered their music for Sam Hyde to use in his shows for free. That won't look good for them

doesn't make a difference

they support this racist fuck

>Because they offered their music for Sam Hyde
source?

if you actually read the article, he doesn't really defend it at all.