Given Joss' penchant for unexpectedly killing off main characters...

Given Joss' penchant for unexpectedly killing off main characters, who do you think would have died if this had lasted past season 1?

For the purpose of discussion, disregard that the movie happened and did in fact kill off some characters. The question is whether you think it would have played out differently if we'd gotten more seasons.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HIGTPKzsjB8?t=227
youtu.be/_n40Un4GP6E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Probably the same people he killed in the movie. I wouldn't doubt it was just his plan for season 2 condensed.

That and the whore, she was already on the fringe from what i remember, just renting a room.

mal would've been forced to kill jayne eventually. pretty obvious where that was going.

that western whorehouse episode was shit

Summer Glau would die and come back to life at some point

Didnt watch the movie and probably wont, but I guess the doctor and the priest would die. Everyone else lives to the end. Jayne probably leaves the group to stay permanently on some planet because of love or some shit, mid series.

Oh, and the pilot probably dies in the last episode to save the black woman

Nah they would have another really close call but then that possibility would be permanently closed by some bonding event

The movie just plain wasn't as good as the series. Whedon started to hit his decline and did some pandering.

Beyond Wash and Book? I'd say Inara had a kill me sign over her head since episode one.

the show tricks you into thinking were friends but they were both scumbags that just tolerated each other. that would make it even more dramatic when he did kill him.

Yeah the movie was a pretty big letdown, it had a bigger budget for action but it was missing the charm that made the show great.

I think the show tricks you into the opposite, but I guess we'll never know.

It wasn't "missing" the charm, there was just less of it because it doesn't fit the movie format. The movie was great, I just wish they didn't kill Wash.

agreed.

Doctor lives, Priest died,Pilot died, and some random ass dude died.

honestly the only reason Firefly is so well-regarded is because it ended before it reached the decline it was clearly heading towards, if it had gone on it would have run out of gas real quickly

That's why even though a lot of people clamor for Firefly to return, I don't want it to happen because I know it wouldn't work. Serenity already wasn't the same, at this point it would just be something completely different.

I figure Joss thought "We're never gonna do another one, may as well piss 'em off."

Probably Simon, maybe Preacher or Jayne

Really makes you think.

I think Inara, Wash and Book were definitely gonna die.

>out of gas

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WE GOT PUNS

Out of Gas was a great episode you dick.

stronger than ever

Not to mention the cast would be old as fuck now

Yeah, that's another reason it's dead in the water. But if, for some magical reason, they were able to get around that problem, I still don't think it'd work.

Shepherd Book would die season 2. Nothing of value was lost.

Jayne would kill Mal and probably Doctor Tam as collateral damage in season 3 finale, GoT style.

Season 4 would be the three girls arguing over how to run things and whether to go after Jayne and seek revenge while Wash and River Tam form some weird friendship based around him going slowly insane and her going sane, and also evil. Would end with Jayne's death but also tragically Kaylee, unexpectedly killed by River when she switches to Jayne's side.

Season 5 is Inara and Zoe bickering even more until Wash is killed in some freak accident due to them bickering. Chritina Hendricks returns and kills them all. Fuck em.

If China is the dominant culture in Firefly's western-themed universe, does that make all the American characters space space-Mexicans?

>mal would've been forced to kill jayne eventually

you misunderstood the meaning of their bantz

they were absolute bros

It's like you never had a good friend..

My pick was Jayne but Simon is an even better choice. Book would have had more story lines to play out had the show continued. Wash being Joss' proxy never would have been killed off in the show either.

Kaylee or Inara would have gone out next if we need to have two people die like the movie did.

Why do people hate on Book so much? He's a rare example of a character that's religious and not obnoxious about it.

you can still kill your friends

While I love the movie, I can't deny this.

And I guess this is as good a place to put this as any. A previous thread reminded me of a nice Nathan moment:

Say, that reminds me of a funny moment in the extra features of White Noise 2. youtu.be/HIGTPKzsjB8?t=227 If link doesn't work, skip to 3:47. Bad movie, but this is a moment that will make me laugh any time. Hmm possible thread idea: favorite moments in DVD/BD extras. I'd say the same about the outtakes from Made. Vince Vaughan is funnier in the outtakes.

The show was on an upward trend when it was killed. Who can say how close to the nadir it was?

Firefly was never /that/ much of a Blake's 7 ripoff.

I have no fucking idea what a nadir is.

Never made the connection, but yeah, sure has similarities.

>nadir
>I have no fucking idea what a nadir is.
No *I* have no fucking idea what a nadir is. Meant apex. Oops.

It's like when you have a work bro, you joke you're going to get them fired.

Or you have a social bro, you joke you're going to fuck their girlfriend.

So if you had a thief/merc bro, you'd joke you're going to betray and kill them.

Its fucking just bantz man.

Religion aint the issue. Just boring.

What's boring about a friendly grandpa with a dark past?

Inara's whole character arc is that she was terminally ill

Remember how she was wealthy and successful and no one in her social circle could understand why she ran off on a freighter in the first place?

Remember how she went to see her private doctor for a regular check up because she insisted Simon not be allowed to look at her health?

Remember when they were stranded in space and Kaylee said "I don't want to die out here" and she just wistfully replied "I don't want to die"

Remember how she keeps a suicide needle in her room

Remember how every single scene she was in she looked like she was in physical pain and pretending she was fine

>remember Firefly as a 10/10 show
>rewatch Firefly
>it's all filler

Firefly is just a shitty Outlaw Star rip-off.

His acting of that character? He had no personality except, I am your friendly but wise conscience, but with my own faults and dark past. No other traits. Total cipher.

Did anyone else fucking HATE the Operative? Dude had a fucking katana and went around like he was the most epic dude in the universe. A few years later and he'd have been wearing a fucking fedora. And they treated him like he was completely serious and a major threat.

Where the fuck are her pubes

It's 10/10 filler. "Filler". A show can be episodic and still be fucking great.

Yeah he was an awful villain.

Don't be a dick. They're both excellent shows. I went into Firefly knowing it was basically a live action Outlaw Star, and I loved it.

She was gonna succumb to chick cancer thirty seconds after confessing her love to Mal

All of that can be explained by her being a whore

>all these people that forget book was literally a former black ops agent dude

he was going to have a huge story arc

>Remember how every single scene she was in she looked like she was in physical pain and pretending she was fine

You may be reading a bit much into that because the actress does the same thing on Gotham.

As someone who loves both Outlaw Star and Firefly, i can safely say you couldn't be more wrong.

OS takes more and more from Chinese culture than it does the wild west. (Gene's caster gun basically shoots Taoism bullets)

I can explain that, your brain was turned into mush by this site.

>muh filler

Damn, she's in Gotham? I just started watching that, when does she show up?

>Outlaw Star isn't similar to Firefly because Chinese culture
>He said while forgetting that Chinese culture is a huge part of Firefly

About halfway through season 1. I'm like a year behind but I know she sticks with it into Season 3.

I don't understand the appeal of this show at all

Okay I concede that. It was still very fun and very watchable, it just wasn't what I remembered. I forgot that basically every episode except that pilot was "return to the status quo" at the end of every episode, without any real trace of an overarching story.

I mean there was the River stuff but she got 2-3 minutes an episode for most of the season. Which is fine now that I think about it, I'm glad it wasn't The River Show like how after the show was canceled they released The River Movie.

That's pretty cool, I'll keep an eye out. Probably wouldn't have even known since I also didn't realize that was her in Deadpool, I am bad at actors.

They hinted at she had a terminal disease, its was confirmed by Fillion in a interview. I bet she would have been the only one for now until they fill out more cast.

TWO BY TWO

HANDS OF BLUE

two by two

do my pooh

River Tam

Mary Sue

Take my Kaylee, take titcow, I don't care I've got my Glau

Burn Inara, boil Zoe but you can't take River from me

':3

I assume she's covered by a thin layer of fur.

You don't know what a Mary Sue is

r u a lion?

This show was so lame, most of the episodes take place on some primitive wild-west planet where everyone look straight out of the 1800s. Wouldn't barely even consider this a scifi show since the "scifi" is really just windowdressing and could have been set anywhere and changed almost nothing about the show. The universe and characters are stupid especially Inara, I really don't get the whole point of her sacred prostitute organization or what its significance is or why they're so goddamned honored across the galaxy. I only liked this show when they were actually in space doing scifi type stuff, but since that's like %10 of the show I thought it mostly sucked.

i hate those ""bros"""

Tell us more about your autism, user. I could listen to you all day.

>You may be reading a bit much into that because the actress does the same thing on Gotham.
Gotham causes pain to its entire cast though.

She is kinda like a geek queen (imho). She was a villain in Stargate SG-1, and V

Cowboy Bebop is objectively a better show than either tho.

When the fuck is Gotham set anyways?

The twentyish century

maybe if you're a disgusting weeb

>If today Batman exists, then this world is the past. But it’s everybody’s past, an 18-year-old’s past and a 54-year-old’s past. So in your memory, the past is all mashed up together. So in this Gotham, it’s a kind of timeless world. It’s yesterday, it’s today, and it’s tomorrow all at the same time, because that’s the world that dreams live in.
I like how every television in-universe is the kind with the knobs and antenna

when did the western and sci-fi meld? my first memory about that was brave starr

IT'S CALLED A SPACE WESTERN, IDIOT.

The movie was a slap in the face to people that actually liked the show.

Yeah and the Chinese aspect is like 80% of OS.

China has like 5% involvement in Firefly.

Watch both materials before jumping in next time.

you never were a "bro"

I agree with this.

Me too, I've seen the movie about 8 times. The dialogue is so good on it and it's easy to miss the brilliant stuff

filler=/= episodic

Nothing in law and order is filler but most episodes of firefly are filler. Deal with it bitchtits

The least popular characters so:
the priest
Summer Glau's Brother
the mechanic.

>The least popular characters
>the mechanic.
Bullshit, everyone loved Kaylee

>Nothing in law and order is filler
Hahaha what the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK?

I accidentally skipped it and didn't realize until months later, but I fell asleep watching it when I went back and still haven't seen it properly.

I had no idea Simon even existed before I watched the show, which was surprising because I heard plenty of mention of other characters. That was good though, because it turned out to be a neat twist that the creepy-looking guy in the first episode actually wasn't evil and became part of the main cast.

Joss had no problem killing off popular characters in Bucky.

Trips confirmes best intro theme
youtu.be/_n40Un4GP6E

I feel like, since it had the same or near the same production crew and writers as Buffy and Angel, it would've headed down basically the same path;

A strong first three seasons, with season 3 easily being the strongest of the whole three seasons, varying wildly in tone during that time, petering out by season 5 without going into out and out BAD territory for more than an episode at a stretch, and going out on a high note.

Overall regarded as generally good, with maybe a spinoff