ITT: What is black soul music? Like just finished this album and it's fairly poppy, light, and white...

ITT: What is black soul music? Like just finished this album and it's fairly poppy, light, and white. This thread is for suggestions, not Stevie Wonder or Motown records.

I'm looking for soul albums that sonically wouldn't appeal to white soccer moms.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4bXCJVEOF-E
youtube.com/watch?v=_jRIb3IUtZo
youtube.com/watch?v=x0ELdjG8O28
youtube.com/watch?v=och2eqP6eHk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>light, and white.
Clarify.

Like my mom doesn't like soul music at all, but she love Stevie Wonder. I'm white, but I know a lot of white people who like him. He has great stuff, but I feel like his music doesn't have grit or punch to it for the most part.

Obviously As among other are a tad different, but I do like his music. I just feel like it isn't soulful or "black" enough if that makes sense. Like when I think of "black" soul I'd think grittier or not as radio friendly, does that make sense?

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul

>soul albums that sonically wouldn't appeal to white soccer moms
Those don't exist.
youtube.com/watch?v=4bXCJVEOF-E

that's actually one of my favorite albums of all time, so fucking good

Got news for you, soul has always had white appeal. You can either maybe go further back and listen to blues/gospel, or forward and listen to funk, that's where moms draw the line.

>I just feel like it isn't soulful or "black" enough if that makes sense
It doesn't.
It feels like you're implying it's not soulful enough just because white people like it.
And that's stupid.

I have heard a few songs off this but never the whole album, I should definitely check it out though

I mean it's to poppy vs soulful. Like Blue Eyed soul is like a neutered version of it. I feel like Motown tends to be a bridge between Blue-Eyed Soul and something more Soulful. Like I don't know any white people I know who like Philly Soul or Southern Soul

you probably want Nina Simone if you haven't listened to her already

You're fucking retarded.

Literally the only reason one would ever describe Stevie's perfectly crafted, perfectly recorded synthesis of Soul, R&B, Funk and Jazz Fusion "light" or "white" is because white artists stole from him.

OP confirmed for basic bitch

>Songs in the Key of Life
>not soulful

How am I retarded, I understand what your saying but Stevie has tons of music that's pretty lame. Your going to tell me every song he's put out is soulful perfection. I'd argue he's pretty light and accessible. Like I never said he made shitty music, I just said I think it's to light for me. I've heard his classics multiple times and most of the cuts go in one ear and out the other.

Also why, because I like grit to my music instead of neutered radio music?

You really need to kill yourself

>Side B Track 1: "Am I Black Enough For You"

what does grit have to do with soul?

listen to james brown or some shit

Not gonna be a dick to you but if you're looking for "grit" then Funk is probably more of a genre for you.

you don't realize that Stevie has plenty of grit, it's just that you're familiar with his music already. you're mistaking obscurity for authenticity and you're idealizing some kind of essential negro-ness. just basic as all fuck.

anyway, what you want is the Stax catalog. go for it and have a good time.

>not gritty or soulful

youtube.com/watch?v=_jRIb3IUtZo

I get what your saying, but I guess I don't know how to put into words what I'm trying to convey. Like when I think of "black" music I think of Billie Holiday, James Brown, Ray Charles (though he got a bit light at times), Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk. Their music has a grit to it that I feel like was lost in the 60's with Motown and some of the 70's. Not everything but like Motown is more I guess Poppy Soul, there exist other types, like how Punk Rock is different from soft rock.

and when I say light I mean not gritty. Like if you listen to a white blues band lots of time there is no grit or soul or conviction to it.

Also I do dig some of Funkadelic's shit, they have some solid records

This is actually another great records I've heard.

I haven't heard these so I'll have to check them out thanks :)

Didn't James Brown and Ray Charles kind of invent soul?

I don't know if I put in this version, but I had to retype this because I was banned and I couldn't post it. But in one of the first in the thread I put that I know he has some but I'd say most. Like if you have 5 punk songs but 100 folk songs, you're not a punk artist, you're a folk artists who has dabbled in it.

Dude you just fucked up by saying Stevie Wonder isn't soulful, the thread's gonna keep going like this. Although I do understand what you're asking for

>not listening to innervisions instead

Yeah, I probably should have thought of a better way to explain it. Most people are autistic on here and don't understand people jumble words or can't explain things exactly, thanks for understanding :)

heard it, I actually prefer this to Interventions. But that does have some great songs

>Too High
>Living for the City
>Higher Ground

do white soccer moms like lauryn hill? mine did.

your mom prolly took nigger dick, let's be honest senpai

OP here, never heard my white mom talk about Lauryn Hill and I actually haven't sat though the album so I can't say

surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

I actually love this record, this and Stand are classics

>Attaching race label to your music

youtube.com/watch?v=x0ELdjG8O28

i just wanna share this one.

and definitely this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=och2eqP6eHk

play it loud

Both classics also, I probably should have asked for more obscure records. But these are from my two favorite albums by both of their respected bands. :)

Underrated album