UEFA to trial alternative 'ABBA' system for penalty shoot-outs

>An experiment changing the order of penalty kicks taken by teams in shoot-outs is being tested at the men's and women's European Under-17 Championship.

>The new system known as ABBA, sanctioned by the International Football Association Board to be trialled by UEFA, is similar to the tie-break format used in tennis and is designed to prevent the team going second from having to play catch-up.

>Currently, shoot-outs see team A and team B alternate in taking five penalties each. If the scores are level, the procedure continues in a sudden death format.

>The new system sees team A take the first penalty, team B the second and third, team A the fourth and fifth and so on until each team has had five kicks - and the sequence continues if the shoot-out goes to sudden death.

>The IFAB claims research proves the team taking the first penalty have a 60 per cent chance of winning. The game's law makers deem this an unfair advantage and want to make the system fairer.

eurosport.co.uk/football/uefa-to-trial-alternative-abba-system-for-penalty-shoot-outs_sto6152164/story.shtml

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RRITqS6WEn0
youtube.com/watch?v=fxhAg9BIPO8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

60% is not that much

The new system is better.

So does the winner take it all?

Thanks for the heads up.

sounds neat

It's about time. This has been a real problem for years, and it's a very easy fix.

Yes it is.

It's still too much

Irony?

The loer has to fall.

Think of it like 1 in 5 shootouts are decided by the order of the old system.

>posting a graph
Fag!

What they should change is

> 1 extra sub allows for Extra Time.
> Away goals don't count in Extra Time as it is an Advantage to the Team who plays at Home first

>1 extra sub allows for Extra Time.

Isn't that already a thing?

60% of teams playing at home win.

They should make all matches in neutral stadiums.

No, it's a problem with turn-based games that statistically and artificially affects results. It's why tennis already uses an ABBA system.

> 1 extra sub allows for Extra Time.
This is already implemented in FA Cup ties.

> Away goals don't count in Extra Time as it is an Advantage to the Team who plays at Home first
Agreed.

the only way to fix penalties is to ban them and replace them with hockey like shootouts

I did think this was a natural progression when I first read this. Certainly hope it doesn't happen.

Whoops that came out arseways, 1 extra sub in Extra Time.

>> Away goals don't count in Extra Time as it is an Advantage to the Team who plays at Home first
upvoted

Smash and grab is part of the fun though. Away teams would constantly sit during extra time otherwise.

Like the old MLS ones?

youtube.com/watch?v=RRITqS6WEn0

>This is already implemented in FA Cup ties.
I didn't know that, should be implemented across the board.

Does every team that takes the first penalty also play at home?

Oh. I wasn't sure since a lot of people seem to be bemused by what UEFA are doing.

German cup started using it this season too.

FIFA/UEFA is a joke, they are ruining the sport for 20 years.

they will hire this retard too. Because clowns like Van basten already work there.

Kind of retarded. Don't see the need for this and it's just trying to fix shit that isn't really even broken.

60%, what did they expect, full 50/50 parity?
Can't say I'm a fan of this at all. Keep the current system, it's fine.

>Away goals don't count in Extra Time as it is an Advantage to the Team who plays at Home first
While I like the idea it's just confusing things too much. People already don't follow the Away goal rule very well, then suddenly "oh it doesn't count because it's extra time"

>60%, what did they expect, full 50/50 parity?
Yes, you fucking dickhead.

Obviously a move influenced by money, money, money

Replace them with taking corners.

To be fair it still is not full 50/50 parity as sudden death starts after 5 penalties which is an odd number.
It should be 6 penalties before sudden death.

It's gonna be hard to get used to but it seems rational. I still prefer the american penalties

Home-away series should not even have extra time, especially in tournaments where the order is settled by a totally random draw

Possible signs of autism at any age:

Gets upset by minor changes in routine or surroundings

>Home-away series should not even have extra time,

What do you think, should they play the KOs in a neutral stadium? Just one match deciding.

Basic probability suggests it should be close to 50/50. 60% is too big a discrepancy to chalk down to a coincidence. You're a mong.

no extra time
penaltis are shot by all team members
that's it

user look at the graph Notice how in the old system team B is always on the back foot and having to score the more pressure inducing equalising goals?
Notice how in the new system they have equal time being behind and they both have to score equalising goals?

thanks doc

If the series are even go straight to penalties.
A lot of people think that playing at home is an advantage, then why should only one team be allowed to have 30 more mins at home? I understand if the order is based over previous stages performance, but most cups nowadays set keys and home/away order up to a completely random draw.

There's nothing wrong with the system as it is, it doesn't favour one side or the other

It's because there's too many players who are so mentally fucking weak, not because the system is biased

It's the same fucking deal for both sides

5 penalties each, if tied then it's sudden death

exactly

>60 per cent chance of winning

while the change seems fine, I don't really get this reasoning. statistics may say 60% of first takers win, that doesn't mean first takers HAVE a 60% chance of winning.

the data collection they used was probably huge and can't be applied to a real-time game with actual people using their skill and nerve

Imagine that done by actual elite players. Shit is dank

I'm starting to hate NZ and Australia (and a lot of others). If they players are all equally weak it should be 50/50, not 60/40. What are you even talking about?

>It doesn't favour one side or the other

That isn't true though.

Well it clearly does favour one side, the side going first because the other team is usually playing catch up which is a mental game and naturally carries more pressure.

I'd have to say it's probably going to be amongst the most accurate of stats in the entire sport. Soccernomics analyses penalties more than most other types of play, because with other goals there obviously are just too many variations, whereas a penalty is about as sterile a play as it gets in the sport.

Shoot against both goals, simultaneously.

>keeper fouls
>a penalty kick is given
Kek.

It will be fucking stupid.
Every player with a brain would just out run the keeper or lob the ball.

> every player with a brain would
Are you saying that it would be 50/50 for everyone? Thanks

>That El Diablo
I'm gonna cry

Hey mang, you're the one that said elite players.
Also contrary to popular belief, most players that reach professionalism are actually good.

No you don't get to use that on me I use that on others you cunt

what the FRIG is tiger tail ice cream?

Extra time, every 5 minutes a team has to remove a player. First goal wins.

Are you retarded?

I can't say I dooping know, but it's a nice image all the same

well explain how this data will in any way affect the next penalty shoot out you watch please

MAMMA MIA

HERE I GO AGAIN

This legitimately stupid

That's why Group Stages and Knock-out Rounds have both a home and away game. Leagues do the same thing, it's really only the single-legged cup ties with no neutral ground that have this problem.

fuck penalties

silver goal + infinite extra times

I have a graph that proves you wrong.

nice response, you are wrong the original post stands

major in something other than social science next time you useless fuck

MLS penalties a GOAT. GOAT!

youtube.com/watch?v=fxhAg9BIPO8