Jew

Is modern hebrew any different from Biblical Hebrew? Can nowadays hebrew speakers read with easy old hebrew literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=q_ebGe7FhVEC&pg=PA5
academia.edu/3986901/Russian_and_Slavic_Influence_on_Modern_Hebrew_Grammar_Encyclopedia_of_Hebrew_Language_and_Linguistics
tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14725880500511175
nature.com/articles/srep08377
jewishtimesasia.org/contributed-articles-topmenu-39/606-2015-03/3227-the-chinese-lady-who-joined-the-ashkenazic-people
twitter.com/AnonBabble

very few changes since they had to be literate and read the same stuff for over a thousand years

older hebrew used to skip vowels

Pretty different, but still obviously the same language.

We can pretty easily read tge bible, but most can't write new grammatically correct texts in biblical hebrew without studying it.

If you mean in writting, Hebrew still ''skips'' vowels

uhm interesting, just like the Greeks with Koiné Greek and the New Testament

We can, but it's quite different from modern.

I don't know any good equivalent to describe with.

I am Hebrew.

Strč prst skrz krk

Hebrew doesn't "skip", any vowels. They're just represented by markings instead of letters.

In modern Hebrew we simply don't use them because we're Sup Forumselligent und understand even without them.

To be fair we have אהוי so technically it's just a semi-abjad.

it is relixified slavic

the revived language had been so influenced by various substrate languages that it is genealogically a hybrid with Indo-European.

The Schizoid Nature of Modern Hebrew: A Slavic Language in Search of a Semitic Paste

modern Hebrew is not a Semitic language at all, but a dialect of "Judaeo-Sorbian". He argues that the underlying structure of the language is Slavic, but "re-lexified" to absorb much of the vocabulary and inflectional system of Hebrew in much the same way as a creole.

Ghil'ad Zuckermann[7][8] compromises between Wexler and the majority view: according to him, "Israeli" (his term for Israeli Hebrew) is a Semito-European hybrid language, which is the continuation not only of literary Hebrew but also of Yiddish, as well as Polish, Russian, German, English, Ladino, Arabic and other languages spoken by Hebrew revivalists

"Had the revivalists been Arabic-speaking or Berber-speaking Jews (e.g. from Morocco), Israeli Hebrew would have been a totally different language – both genetically and typologically, much more Semitic.

hi im a jew

I've read some of it. It's a nice bait desu

While I agree there were some influences, but calling Hebrew an "Eastern European" language is beyond retarded.

How do you say (phonetically) cat in Hebrew?

Hatul

(soft "L")

Ok, it's not a slav language

its relexified, they took slav base of syntax, grammar rules and replaced slav words with semitic and others

its creole, igor. like you

And the H is like a much sharper and gutteral X in Russian.

Also what do you mean by soft L?

That's pretty much obvious for ever- ... or not.

Syntax is Indo European, but both in modern and biblical Hebrew syntax is very fluid.

How about giving an example of this so called slavic grammar.

>Also what do you mean by soft L

Hebrew in general got the soft "L", hard "L" is is like in "cold" or "cool".

Hmm, never thought of it that way

The Old Testament was distorted very many times. The most dangerous and most important distortion is the distortion of Rabbi Akiva. He was a Jew who after the destruction of Jerusalem tried to entice Christians (and even potential Christians) to his side and to deny them from the faith in the true God, Jesus Christ. He took the Torah in Hebrew, and began to conquer those moments in which the Gospel referred to it and cleaned them. Thus the Bible was obtained, which is called "Masoretic text". And this heretical Masoretic text was officially recognized by Rome in the 4th century and translated into Latin, the name of this translation is "Vulgata". "Vulgata" is recognized by all Catholics and all Protestants to this day. If you want to read the true Old Testament, then there are so-called "Septuagint", the perfect translation of the completely original Torah into Ancient Greek. I don't know if it has been translated to English, but there is no other way out.

They were considering polish and yiddish as the official languages for their regained homeland, but because they are Jews they had to go full autismo and recreated hebrew, which basiclly hadn't been used for 1000 years or more. For me it would be really nice if they had polish as an official language, but i am also impressed that they have managed to recreate hebrew. They had to be really happy and motivated after getting Kanaan back, so they had enough patience and strenght to make Israel as perfect as they could.

>Hebrew in general got the soft "L", hard "L"
RUSSIAN'D

To be fair, the concept of Israel was to be a nation for all Jews. It'd be a bit weird if you had Jews from Iraq and Ethiopia and France and Morocco (spits) speaking Yiddish or Polish.

It created a common language that was inclusive for all Jews.

Basically this Yiddish meant nothing to the non-European Jews. Hebrew (and Aramaic) is the only language which all Jews had a connection with.

Besides nationalists see Yiddish is a language of the exile, which independent Jewish state shalln't use, and I agree with them.

Maybe you are right, at least You are not as extremist as Kabalists were. They were obssesed with "muh cultural connection" and unity of the history, that they considered only polish jews as real jews. But they were from Kielce, so it is kinda understandable, since it is a magical place in Poland.

academia.edu/3986901/Russian_and_Slavic_Influence_on_Modern_Hebrew_Grammar_Encyclopedia_of_Hebrew_Language_and_Linguistics

>they considered only polish jews as real jews
how you know this? its supposed to be a secret

That's really fucking nothing bro.
The -chik and -nik aren't even a proper words, it's a slang.

You can get rid of the stuff that was mentioned there and 99% of modern Hebrew remains. What a load of crap.

t. Russian

The Schizoid Nature of Modern Hebrew: A Slavic Language in Search of a Semitic Paste

Poles, did contribute enough to be detected by admixture tests, both in the scientists' laboratories and in Gedmatch and 23andMe.

There's some East Asian inheritance in Ashkenazim that came from Chinese and from a Korean-related people (Khazars??). See my article "The Chinese Lady Who Joined the Ashkenazic People" in the March 2015 issue of Jewish Times Asia.

Ashkenazim as well as Sephardim also descend a little bit from North Africans, meaning from Berbers who converted to Judaism.

All Ashkenazim also have a substantial amount of ancestry from ancient Italian converts to Judaism.

nature.com/articles/srep08377
jewishtimesasia.org/contributed-articles-topmenu-39/606-2015-03/3227-the-chinese-lady-who-joined-the-ashkenazic-people