Are cassettes an acceptable recording/listening method?

Are cassettes an acceptable recording/listening method?

nope

not really

Recording yes
Listening depends
Other niggers are dumb digital / vinyl fags

cassettes are alright for recording demos or field recording on the lofi
Listening isn't really ever preferable, only tolerable on decent equipment.

>recording to tape instead of just running digital audio through tape as an effect

that particular recorder is one of the best cassette machines ever made. had a concert photog i knew who used one for years, with binaural mics mounted to his eyeglasses....some of the best bootlegs i have ever heard!

>running digital audio through tape as an effect
that usually sounds like shit. John Darnielle tried to do that with one of the releases of demos from one of the later albums to sort of replicate the sound of the earlier albums.

>he doesn't put the cassettes in a dishwasher

>with binaural mics mounted to his eyeglasses
What? Why would you mount a mic on your glasses? And binaural ones at that.

only if you're still in in the '80s

to record concerts without being noticed. he was an official photogrpaher for the statewide music magazine, and recorded EVERY show he ever worked. the mics clipped to the sides of his glasses gave the recordings a nice stereo field. and that Sony Professional Walkman was a really high quality recorder for the time....i still have some of those bootlegs he recorded....

Well he sure put in a ton of effort to record bootlegs. Don't know why he would bother but that's neither here nor there.

To preserve history, as best he could. Art is life.

Patrician, unlike vinyl.

he was a totally OCD dude. he never released the bootlegs or did anything commercially with them. and he basically had a press pass to nearly every concert in Florida for about a 15 year period. i wish i could have snagged all those tapes after he passed away, there were some AMAZING concerts in his collection.....

What happened to the tapes? and what kind of concerts did he record? Sounds like he worked a really interesting job

Tape is higher quality than CD or digital and potentially vinyl, so yes

They will literally only last for 10 years while vinyl and CDs will last for centuries.

Utter nonsense

this is bait

Cassettes can sound good, with metal tape recorded in Dolby S you'd pretty much rival with CDs, but Dolby S tape decks are hard to come by.
Pre-recorded music on tape doesn't always shine, not as much as proper home-recorded

Everything expect digital is nonsense from a listening standpoint. All these dinosaur mediums are only good for collectible purposes because a "digital collection" of anything is bullshit.

now that the vinyl boom is over, cassettes are the next "big thing" for audiophile hipsters.

This

technically that is probably true, there are however some terrible analog to digital conversions out there

-Much cheaper than vinyl
-Analog
-no clicks and pops like vinyl
-Hiss actually adds to some types of music like shoegaze
-more portable
-Can find a decent tape deck at practically any Goodwill for dirt cheap
-good way to support small/local artists

I could go on... Vinyl objectively has a better sound quality on the right equipment, yes, but the amount of shit that is thrown at the cassette community from vinyl elitists is ridiculous. Cassettes sound much better than mp3s and come close to vinyl if you have a solid Nakamichi/technics deck, etc. They are a very affordable way to amass a lot of great music in a physical format. Infuriating how so many in the vinyl community label tape collectors as hipsters or cringey contrarians. Sure, lots of Urban Outfitters normies out there by tapes to be different, but many of us actually enjoy their analog sound and the very low entry price.

Kys faggot.

Remember when record companies spent millions in legal fees to keep ADATs off the market because they thought ADAT was going to cause a piracy boom. Whos fucking laughing now?

your phone is literally a better record and playback device than cassette tape ever was

unless your going for some lo-fi charm then the answer in no.

this'll sound like the most hipster shit ever but honestly clicking a mouse on spotify to play my music is the most boring shit ever, not to mention multiple ads. Same goes with files themselves although no ads make them better. I just love playing a cd or cassette or dropping a needle on a record so much more than clicking

This isnt even true. Doubt you were alive for cassettes. There were high density formats and such(like the metal tape) that came close to digital quality

>using anything but computers in the age of computers
well, if it's an artistic statement, then it's ok, even then it's far-fetched

Nu males will say no because they know nothing about mixing and frequencies

Most of the retards here think lofi = bad production and death grips are good

The problem with magnetic tapes is demagnetization over time. This is the main issue with why the medium is looked down on by "collector" communities. Same goes for VHS.

>Implying open reel isn't perfection

>they know nothing about mixing and frequencies
teach me about the 200 Hz frequency senpai

aren't cassettes still the cheapest and quickest way to put out merch?

Any suggestions for one of these? I have old reels of my grandpa playing music I want to convert somehow.

Bingo, thats basically why you would have one.
I have a second hand cassette deck for those tapes, and the sound really isn't that bad with a halfway decent system.

not as fast & easy as cd's

Heard your mom was fast and easy

>listen to mp3 in car
>pop in cassette
>glorious

cassettes sound so so much better than you'd expect. fuller, richer, natural compression, fuck now I miss them.

it is, to a point where most high end fags aren't even interested anymore because it's so damn linear and perfect, especially if you use it with a good compander system to get rid of the (tiny bit of) noise left.
I recorded a lot to 1/4" two track tape, and using good 'studio standard' basf/emtec tape on a good machine you have to push it so damn hard to get a tape-y sound or else the difference to the digital backup running at the same time would be minimal

Was there ever a car with a built-in vinyl-jukebox?

That's like a fuckin 50's dream

It would move too much I would think. Im sure they could have done it with 45s. Im almost positive ive seen old photos of a setup in a car with a 45 player but it was used when the car was parked somewhere.

would you believe this was actually a thing, but it was highly impractical and replaced by 8 track tapes very quickly.

Id have been blasting some Dave Brubek

>those loose records stacked like that
SOMEONE SHOULD PUT YOU IN A BOX FLOATING DOWN THE RIVER GRANDMA

They were 10 for a penny back then.

a penny was like 200 dollars back then bro.

Yes, as long as it's genuine (i.e. you're not a pretentious hipster cunt, doing it so you can be "different" and "interesting")

it's cool just for the aesthetic

unless you're in your forties or older and have old tapes lying around in your car that would be the only reason to do this over buying an MP3 layer.

explain

That's a nice Walkman

if i was an artist i would like to have my work in a cassette too because it's such an "old school" item that i remember since i was a child

well, they're lower quality but, sure you can listen to them (then again if you're listening to poor quality mp3's then probably about the same.)
there were a few such things as upper tier cassettes that couldn't be written over, and also had better recording functionality and sound quality, which in come cases could be better then digital if from the original source.
also, there is a sort of eq effect that happens to music when put onto a cassette which is especially handy in electronic music in dealing with the digital formats highs of a track

WOW NO ONE IN THIS THREAD KNOWS DICK ABOUT TAPE

This. Especially with old tapes, once its fucked, its fucked. I had a beck tape that worked fine until one of the bits bunched up and now it doesn't work. I got into tapes out of necessity when I had my first car and then bought new stuff for the novelty. I think its a good companion to viny