Tfw 18 years old

>tfw 18 years old
>tfw just saw Judgement Day for the first time
>tfw effects from a 25 year old film are better than billion dollar hyper-realistic CGI today

How did they do it...

youtube.com/watch?v=ih_l0vBISOE

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/754454828428824576?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
youtube.com/watch?v=1pN1Qs9piN0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ilv-7r-5bbI
youtube.com/watch?v=xBNT8lMVRno
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Puppets and miniatures.

All talent is now dead

>How did they do it...
Ask pic related. Oh, wait, he's dead and movie magic died with him.

>Hyper-realistic

EBIN MEME

FUCK OFF

most of the special effects in t2 are practical, the t2 liquid skin was the only significant cgi in it

>all talent is dead
nah senpai.

>mfw I found out Adam Jones worked on special effects for Terminator 2

>mfw new Tool album soon

You just can't beat practical effects. Watch the original Independence Day and then watch the piece of shit that just came out, there's no comparision.

>>mfw new Tool album soon

PFFFFT

they're not releasing shit

practical effects hold up really well over time.

Just watch starship troopers!

>they're not releasing shit
No need to be a negative nancy, my man!

I mean, I've waited this long, I'm not holding my fucking breath. But a pretty convincing tracklist was leaked and Justin pretty much confirmed it in an interview sooo...

Get fucking hype?

>get fucking hype

no. probably going to be shit even if they do release anything.

>tfw Cameron considered redoing the special effects for T2 and then realized "nah, I don't want to be like George Lucas"
thank god

how can one man be so based

This.

Stan Winston was the king of non-CGI special effects. Any of his stuff beats the shit out of even the latest CGI stuff.

>tfw Avatar looks just like a video game

>not gonna release anything
>going to be shit

Who hurt you, user?

twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/754454828428824576?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

>shit

Well, there's no accounting for taste, huh?

youtube.com/watch?v=1pN1Qs9piN0

>10 000 Days was 10 years ago
HOW?!

What did he mean by this?

Every album they've ever made is sublime.

>tfw CGI fags are derailing the thread on purpose

>10 years ago
>Decem

confirmed

>tool discussion

>stems from guitarist doing PRACTICAL EFFECTS for T2

>CGI fags

???????????????

same goes for 90% of starship troopers, and all the non special edition effects in starwars.

>you'll never watch T-1 or T-2 on the big screen

There's always re-releases.

for the first time without knowing what to expect

He was really great at what he did.
Even the mediocre/average movies that had his talent have far more memorable moments than even the most over budgeted modern blockbuster.
A real man behind the curtain deserves all the praise

Nah a bunch of the original trilogy special effects are dated as fuck.

>moving the goalposts

>There's always re-releases
Yeah, full of ironic, hipster dickheads who have to knowingly laugh and giggle at everything. I'd rather stay home. I saw Psycho a few years back and you could have sworn it was a fucking comedy the way the shitbag audience was giving out their knowing laughs.

they hold up IMO

Order of Terminator movies I saw: Judgment Day, Salvation, Rise of the Machines, Sarah Conner Chronicles, Genisys, 1. So broken. Thanks Obama.

Less dated than the CGI from the prequels.

>Nah a bunch of the original trilogy special effects are dated as fuck.
outside of the AT ATs looking stiff as fuck on hoth most look pretty good, unless you're talking about shit added in the special editions.

>Sarah Connor Chronicles
loved dat shit

>tfw no terminator gf

>mfw old enough to remember a time when The Terminator franchise had only two movies and it was the greatest thing

>seeing 2 before 1
for what purpose?

>they actually thought this CGI in the 1997 re-release was acceptable

This is shitposting
They hold up very well, especially compared to the SE

>They actually thought that scene did anything but slow down the movie and make Jabba seem like a pussy

They cut it for a reason, this scene is DVD extra material

>tfw the best part about disney buying starwars is that we'll probably get an HD release of the original non fucked up star wars
the only thing the special editions got right was crediting James Earl Jones

James Cameron's attention to detail.

>cut it

That scene was in the original theatrical and VHS version, but it was a person. Then they CGI'd Jabba over it. You're probably watching some 2000 era DVD release.

>mfw there are only two movies and they are still the greatest thing

James Camerons vision must be protected. He is the future.

It wasn't in the original theatrical, it was added back in SE.
The scene is a modification of an outtake that was shot with a person.
Star Wars has a shit ton of deleted scenes that just slowed down the movie.

>not liking TSCC
shit taste tbqh

Hey now, the extra wampaa screentime was great.

love and care with some ingenuity, now just add it in post.

>the future war scenes in Terminator 1 and 2

all I wanted as a kid was more scenes like that, maybe even a whole movie. And then the next 3 Terminator movies shit all over my childhood dreams

Thought so to

Practical effects + some CGI + filming on location >>>>>>>> CGI cartoon with live actors in front of a green screen

>we live in a world with more bad Terminator movies than good ones

Its not that the effects were better. They made the film and did shots based on how the effects worked. These days the effects are better BUT they don't shot for it, they don't plan for it. They just write it off as "post work". Cameron was very aware of what he was filming and what they would have to do in post. It was much more a team effort.

>They made the film and did shots based on how the effects worked.

Literally every film.

>tfw unironically like Salvation
>would be up with the Cameron movies if the idiot producers hadn't panicked and changed the original ending after it leaked

John Connor getting killed by the T800, and Marcus taking over his identity and leading humanity to victory, was a genius ending

It probably would have been a lot better if not for that no talent clown McG. I hated that they went down the Modern Future War CoD route. Since when does the Resistance have fucking fighter jets and attack choppers? A Resistance High Command operating out of a secret nuclear submarine? Pretty dumb.

The original ending sounds hype.

I unironically liked the twist in Genisys with John being corrupted by the T5k into a T3k, it could have been interesting but it fell flat on the screen, and all the time travel fuckery too. They fucked up by not making JK Simmons character one of the cops Arnold kills in the police station shootout in the original movie. They also fucked up by not having a shout out to the Tech Noir sequence too

Also hated that there was a night and day cycle. This is fucking nuclear winter, it should have been everlasting night. This was the one movie every Terminator fan wanted to see and they fucked it up so bad. Genisys future war scene was a little bit better, but still horribly bland.

>A Resistance High Command operating out of a secret nuclear submarine? Pretty dumb.

Actually it makes a lot of fucking sense.

Since choppers and jets are all un-manned aircraft, they would've been cut off from Skynets control.

Don't see why they couldn't.

I would have thought that a nuclear holocaust would have left most everything crippled. I didn't see any aircraft flying around in the first two movies future war scenes. It just doesn't fit. Most everything on the North American continent had to be obliterated. John was Resistance HighComm, since the global military infrastructure was obliterated by Skynet.

There was no resistance before John Conner. He was the one who stormed the first camps and liberated the first slaves. Resistance High Comm is a bunch of high level military officers which is just bs, most everyone important got wiped out on Judgement Day. As made evident with T3 it happened so fast no one had time to respond or get to some deep under ground bunker, fuck Conner barely made it to safety. All that was left was Civil Defense and they pretty much defer to Connor, because he's the only one at Crystal Peak.

So no it's just a load of stupid crap

TSCC is not a movie so it would exists.
T-800 user is just doing god's work.

>I didn't see any aircraft flying around in the first two movies future war scenes

Except for Skynet's hover-crafts.

>no one had time to respond or get to some deep under ground bunker

NORAD has 24/7 maintenance and monitoring, and is built into the side of a mountain and built to withstand high yield nuclear war heads.

The idea that "no" military personnel would've been around or in the field is incredibly unrealistic.

>Except for Skynet's hover-crafts

yeah obviously, all the Resistance has is jerry rigged technicals

As for the High Command, I stand by my statement that, according to Kyle Reese himself, there was no Resistance, no hope at all, until John Connor started raiding extermination camps.

The idea that there would be no military personal around when over 3 billion people died in the initial nuclear strikes alone, is unrealistic? Ok, well, this is a movie series about a cybernetic machine uprising heavily centered around time travel, sooo

Well, Salvation states that it's not the future his mother told him about, so one can only assume things changed based on their actions to change the future.

>The idea that there would be no military personal around when over 3 billion people died in the initial nuclear strikes alone, is unrealistic? Ok, well, this is a movie series about a cybernetic machine uprising heavily centered around time travel, sooo

Cybernetic machines exist, and time travel is already being theorized.

Your point?

well there you have it .
this one is real.

John Conner becomes the leader of the Resistance after the professional military leading in the Submarine are wiped out. Reece only just met Connor and wasn't aware of the Submarine crew.

also previously the Resistance had been devoting resources to raiding military and research facilities, not camps. Connor was in direct opposition to the submarine crews orders to free the people in the camps. when Connors crew gains all the people in the camp as followers this is where the Legend could of been made.

as for the Resistance having too much equipment, the way Kyle Reece lives is evident that the Resistance Conor is fighting with is not the uniform force but only the most well organized out of the larger group of people

Really, name one film released past 2004 where this is the case.

Just about every movie these days films things the way they want it and shrugs off any post work. It "doesn't matter" any more is the attitude. Even though some framing, lighting, angles ect. could make the post work blend even better or be easier and thus not look like ass. Shooting on a technical level like this is annoying for directors, actors ect. Though it gave a better end result.

Not till fox loses the home video distribution rights in 2020 or some shit like that.

>NORAD has 24/7 maintenance and monitoring, a

unfortunately NORAD can't do shit if everyone outside is dead.

>tfw effects from a 25 year old film are better than billion dollar hyper-realistic CGI today
Lol. Every time I see practical effects monsters I always think "How can they be fucking killed by something that slow?"

Except Aliens.

Bad effects will always be bad effects. Your generation has LOL IT LOOKY LIKE VIDEOGAME. Mine has LOL OBVIOUS TOY.

You know
I used to to think six years between their albums was a long time.
but 10,000 Days
Was fucking almost ten years ago at this point

is that a freeze frame or actually the movie?

that sound design is shit tho m8

We live in the world where Hollywood tries to convince everybody that movies like that are the thing of the past forever (Expendables, other "comeback" titles, etc).

I am still baffled and enchanted by the Tauntaun.

I'll find you, Maggie!

He did fantastic work with the two Predator films.

And then they made those AvP films and didn't even ask him to do the job. No wonder the Predators there looked like shit.

Is that actually a shot from the video game? I don't remember the movie ever looking that bad.

Cameron understands lighting, you can achieve the same lighting with CGI backgrounds. Characters are fine but if you watch any film of the past 10 years all the backgrounds are shit and dull because of the faded lighting

Fuck off to your twilight hunger jew games you cuckold underage faget

The sound design was on of the best ever made in the film

Great now i gotta watch this film again, this john connor still a better looking leader than all after t2 how they fuck up so bad

practical effects from the 80's like Day of the Dead & The Fly are 30 years old and still better than any amount of CGI today.

Jesus, time flies fast.

The lightsaber/laser beam effects sucked major dick. So do all of the space explosions. A lot of the costumes and puppets looked horrendous too which was understandable because New Hope had the lowest budget of them all.

Original trilogy's strength is the practical effects, not the 70's era cgi desu.

Welcome to manhood, son.

>hyper-realistic CGI
user I..

Him and Eddie are still the only John Connors I acknowledge existing.

Sound design has aged like milk though, movies have improved greatly in that regard.

Don't forget the godfather Ray Harryhausen

Terminator 2 only has 2-3 minutes of CGI
everything else is practical effects.

No, they have day. They just only go out at night, according to Reese himself.

No it hasn't, everything in it is ADR and it got the Oscar that year for it

Know what I miss most about action movies?

Real fucking explosions.

I am a sucker for big spectacular explosions in movies.

I cant stand fucking CGI shitfarts where I can spot the induvidual dot in the simulated smoke effects.

Everything looks like a video game these days, I miss the days of the great slow motion explosion shot. What the fuck was wrong with that?
youtube.com/watch?v=Ilv-7r-5bbI

Sidenote, Skyfall did have a great one though, fuck that was awesome to watch on the big screen.

>looked like shit
they also got much shorter and bulkier guys to play the predators, they're about 6'6 and very big and muscular stuntmen. Even the Rodriguez Predators used guys of that type of physique

Kevin Peter Hall was over 7 ft, and he was very slim. He had been a basketball player, he'd done dance and mime and ballet, so he was slim and he was graceful.

And thing about any sort of suit is its going to add to you, so you have to have slim people otherwise it will just be bulky

RoboCop was the same, initially Verhoeven was looking at his old pal Rutger Hauer or Michael Ironside til it was pointed out the suit was going to be big and they'd need a slim guy, you look at Peter Weller in any 80s film and he was an incredibly skinny guy he was doing marathons and shit back then.

optical effects were often added to make explosions look bigger

What are you talking about OP

IS THIS FROM 2015 NOT ENTERTAINING ENOUGH FOR YOU

youtube.com/watch?v=xBNT8lMVRno

How did they do it?

You got it all wrong.

How does HE do it?

>The Terminator
>Aliens
>The Abyss
>Terminator 2: Judgment Day
>True Lies