The Witch

If you don't like this movie, there are only a few options
>You don't like horror
>you don't like period films
>you're a straight up pleb
that's pretty much it. This flick is kino as fuck. I enjoyed it extra because I read a lot about witch folklore growing up. It's super historically accurate to what they thought was really happening at the time.

Congratulations, you may have broken the "most memes/buzzwords spouted in under 100 words" record.

>remove thy shift

sweayrandpaul.gif

I just plain didn't like the sound balancing. It was a pretty good movie, but it was damned hard to hear the dialogue.

Stop watching pirated movies on your laptop

But its not a horror film, which is why it was so dissapointing.

I concur. It was the one gripe I had with the he movie. Even in the theater there were things I missed. When I bought it I watched it with subtitles. The sound mixing was bad, I can forgive that. The acting, costumes and set design were top notch.

>>You don't like horror

You got me. I don't like garbage genres.

This is the most retarded shit that people say about the witch.
>Not horror
>possessed twins
>demon goat
>baby murdered and ground int pulp
>literally satan
>naked dancing witches
>matricide
What do you want?

>I enjoyed it extra because I read a lot about witch folklore growing up.

Went to see this at the movies when it was over many people said "is that it" or wow really". It is hard to appreciate this movie but it is good and a lot of work went into it.

I really like all of those things, but that was maybe what, 15 minutes of screentime? I was just sad there wasnt more of that and less gay family drama shit.

That guy doesn't look like he reads anything.
Plebs. I went to see it with an old friend of mine from high school, we both read a lot of paranormal type shit in our youths, so we both really appreciated all t he historical accuracy.
Seriously. Pleb. How can you identify with the suffering of a character if you know nothing about them. The dynamic of that family was was such a product of that time. I feel like a big part of it was trying to get the audience to truly appreciate how alone and vulnerable they were in the world, which is something that is hard to understand in the modern western world, hard to truly appreciate.

how about a good story, not a 120 min showreel. It's the story and script that is lacking. The performances are decent and the set design, photo, light is good (except sound which was subpar).

And the atmosphere is severly lacking, Sauna (2008) did a somewhat similar concept (at least in period and location, 1700's and a village far out in the woods) and managed to build a heavy atmosphere despite the story not making much sense, but at least that one was scary, VVitch just wasnt.

But I applaud the effort, it's a great piece of filmaking and acting, just not a great film.

Fair enough. From the way you describe it, it almost sounds like some sort of a ""drama"" film

Watched it Saturday. I liked it. The atmosphere had this dream like state to it like the area they were in was from out of time. The music was spooky too

I don't see a problem with the story. Aside from the family drama, I got this other half of the story which was heavily implied IMO
If you look into the documentation at the time, witches didn't really fuck with people. They sold spells and shit, danced naked, fucked the devil, but they didn't go out of their way to fuck with people. So then why did they fuck with this family. Probably because they came from a community that regularly burned witches. I mean they need the Un baptized baby for their flying balm, but they played with this family for fun.
And I just loved the ending. Because what the fuck else is Thomasin's to do?

>people constantly whine and cry that horror is just dull jump scare feats these days
>kino horror comes out that focuses on establishing characters, setting and motivation keeping an underlying uneasiness throughout but only utilizing the "horror" moments at key climaxes

>ITS SO BORING I WANT MORE WITCHES AND LESS FAMILY DRAMA

Took my little sister to see it and she loved it. She watched the plebiest of shit and she still clearly has better taste than 90% of his board thank god.

It really reminded me of The Shining. The sweeping landscape shots, the score, the weird family tension, and nothing spooky happened in The Shining for a good while. It just had me on edge the whole time, and I couldn't really explain why.
Also that scene with the hot witch reminded me of the bathtub scene.

You're exactly right. "Slow Burner" is the best way to describe both of these films.

What the fuck I literally just watched this. Fucking crazy

Not usually into horror stuff(especially shit like gore) but I like the historical atmosphere and portrayal of the setting as well as the music. I don't really like having unanswered questions though.

>period film

with that about of blood i wouldnt be surprised

This. I made my sister in law watch it. She is not bright, one of her favorite movies is The Hot Chihck, with Rob Schnieder. But she likes scary movies, and she didn't check her phone the whole time. She fucking loved it. BUT I did have it on with subtitles, so that helps a lot.

This and Conjuring 2 are my fav horror kinos

Horror is best when things aren't answered but the Witch pretty clearly answered everything senpai

This is, honestly, the only gripe about this film. Saw it in theaters with my girlfriend and we both agreed that the dialogue, in some spots, is just terribly difficult to pick up on.

Tell me your questions, user.

>If you look into the documentation at the time, witches didn't really fuck with people. They sold spells and shit, danced naked, fucked the devil, but they didn't go out of their way to fuck with people.

You speak of this like witches existed, but if you are talking about written documents about witches from that era, I'm on board.

The story just isnt compelling enough for me to care about any of the characters. The concept itself isnt very interesting, it's sort of The Blair Witch Project smacked together with The Crucible and a bit of Ravenous, but without any of the interesting cast. Watching a family move out into the woods, blame eachother for an hour then die in a abrupt climax just isnt satisfactory to any degree for me.

The Conjuring 2 was actually very enjoyable for me. That fucking painting scene , jesus christ. Literally felt like I was on the tip of a drop on a roller coaster at some points during that movie, and the nice thing was that it didn't drop when I expected it to. I'd start to question whether or not anything was going to happen, and almost forget about the drop altogether, before it tipped and the ride continued.

>Comparing VVitch to The Shining
jeus christ this pleb board

>Who exactly was the old witch? We see a bunch of young ones dancing in the end but we never see her
>Did the sexy witch in the forest fuck the kid? Or just strip him, poison him, and send him home?

If they had been speaking in a modern way, you might not have even noticed the bad sound mixing, but any time I watch anything where people have accents or speak in an old times way, if the sound isn't perfect, I am going to miss a lot. I can see how that was an issue for people.
But that's the point of the movie,miss basically a historically accurate sorry IF what people believed at the time was true. I guess one family isn't enough for you, I just thought it was super comfy.

>watch 41 movies released this year
>The Witch has been ranked #1 to me since it leaked
Damn...

Go on.

The VVitch is a movie for plebs. It appears "deep" to unseasoned film goers.

I'm not joking. It was so fucking shallow and boring.

anyone else think the father sold the baby to the witch to buy the goat?

Same. It was worth watching a second time, that's the thing though. I got just as much enjoyment out of it the second time with subtitles as the first without.

the line between answering a frustratingly little amount and devaluing the foreshadowing in the movie and answering everything was pretty thin in the witch. probably applicable to most spooky movies. personally glad that the witch landed on the side of the line that it did, but it's the exception and not the rule.

>boring
Opinion discarded. Every time I see this word I know the user at the other end is a total pleb.

The Witch is an homage to The Shining, their scores are almost similar(With the choirs that make you feel on edge) like you mentioned the hot witch taking the boy into her house, and the shots. It's funny because they were both panned initially(The Witch by audiences though.) With time I think it'll be around the same level as The Shining

>I'm superior because I like a movie where nothing happens

Why are the fans of this movie so fucking obnoxious?

>It appears "deep"

How so?

>boring
Why do you even watch film if you find it boring?

yup, I dont like period films. Road to Perdition probably being the only one I like.

Your misconception is in thinking it was trying to be deep. It's a story of religious fanatics who get fucked up by the devil. All straight forward. It's just presented really well.

Those aren't even questions that needed to be answered user I think you're just an autist.

Ask yourself how the movie would be improved or even just contributed to in any way but expanding on those two things.

Does it really matter who the old witch is? She is an old witch. Witches age slower than most, so that bitch is probably ancient. I kind of assumed she was in the circle at the end, but the hot witch was probably your basic old witch just using glamour.

Shinning have superior directing, superior performances, superior story, cinematography character development etc etc.

I've seen these "flavour of the year" come and go for over half a decade now and I can always tell the ones who stick around and the ones who doesnt.

Let me guess

you liked Ex Machina too?

Compare doesn't mean "Exactly like."

Didn't think it was a top 15 of last year but I enjoyed watching it. Some people just love watching film, user. Either accept it or go back.

It's not that I didn't like it, but I was disappointing by it
It was very well done, can't disagree with that
but accuracy and great directing don't necessarily make a good Horror
at no point in the movie did I feel that I was watching a Horror movie
Maybe I've just grown callous from it being my favorite genre.
Although I will say that if more of the movie was like the scene where the boy gets lost in the woods I would have probably loved it. That one particular silent shot of him peering into the deep foliage scared shitless of what was beyond was 10/10.

>Watching a family move out into the woods, blame eachother for an hour then die in a abrupt climax just isnt satisfactory to any degree for me.

Sounds like pleb talk to me. Next you're going to say 12 Angry Men isn't interesting because it's just old men yelling at each other for an hour.

I didn't get why the father didn't kill the goat at the end.

Compare the budget, and talent involved. The Witch was an indie film made by a bunch of unknowns. The Shining was made by a seasoned, experienced director, with two well known actors and a high budget, yet The Witch managed to be a great film and give a comparable tone.
You got to be realistic.

OP you sound like Smeagol when the only adjective you use is pleb

12 angry men is interesting because they actually talk about things, here they just act out a 10 min scene from the Crucible for about an hour. I bet you thought Bone Tomahawk was hot shit as well. Please never get into film making.

Probably because it was his only fucked asset left! Dude lost a couple of kids, his only horse, his dog, and his gun. Even if it's the devil, it's kind of stupid to kill the only thing you can trade in town for a few coins.

>Ex Machina
>film

watch more movies. you have literally no standards.

At this point, you're scratching the surface

kinda wish the movie had ended with her walking into the woods, the naked witch rave around the bonfire was just silly

though it is a bit of a trip when you realize the witches made another flying ointment out of the bodies of her twin siblings

Yep. Mainly for pic related but it was well acted in a film that called for it considering it was just largely three actors in a house the entire movie. I love shit like that.

>corruption, not in front of my father

what did he mean by this

"They talk about things" is your defense and criticism and you're trying to tell others they don't know film.

Yeah, figured as much

Usually plebs really go for The VVitch, It Follows, and Ex Machina because they are better done than the average movie but still have REALLY broad appeal.

I love when embryos try to use that argument against me.

I think your reaction image needs a fedora to be complete.

You must have a snoozefest watching The Texas chainsaw massacre, The Shinning or The Exorcist because "nothing happens in the first 60 minutes"

>They talk about things
Yeah, cause the Witch was literally about nothing for an hour and a half
Don't blame the movie because you didn't even bother to get interested and shitposted from your phone or something the entire time

>binging on movies

Confirmed total pleb.

When you do that you just see everything at face value instead of analyzing everything that was put into it.

It takes months to years to make truly amazing movies and you think you can absorb that all in 3 days?

>le family drama
>A horror movie

Lol

I was actually the one who started the witch is pleb meme before I watched it. I ended up enjoying it though. I didn't like ex machina. Where do I fit in?

would you even read it if I wrote a 10 paragraph synopsis and analysis of 12 Angry Men just to prove a point? No you wouldnt, go fuck yourself.

I don't know.

I hated Ex Machina half way through watching it

They were literally afraid of losing the audience to the point of telling them the ending upfront, doing no twists with the plot at all, and reexplaining the plot up until whatever point they had their conversations at.

The VVitch isn't the worst movie, but it's dumb to parade it as something amazing. It's a movie to be forgotten.

Hey buddy I think you got the wrong door. The Babadook thread is two blocks down

It's a really boring movie

except it was though

and you wouldn't read a 10 paragraph synopsis and analysis of The Witch because you think you're above it with your high horse of taste.

Some people aren't mentally challenged, friend. Why do you even come to this board if you've seen less than 100 movies?

>10 paragraphs is a lot
But sure, go ahead, I wanna hear how much they talked about things for ten freakin paragraphs wooow

Stick to videogames, kid.

of course a pleb would argue this.

It's like a guy working out day after day and not letting his muscles recover and he ends up not making any progress at all.

That's you Good job.

Maybe just stick to Wes Anderson movies.

VVitch posters are horror fans right? What other horror films do you like?

How is dismissing an entire genre a valid excuse? This thread is stupid.

>those faggots who wanted another Lords of Salem or le ebin fucktarded ambiguous ending

This is like a guy trying to do a speed run through a museum

I just wished they developed the characters more and built up the plot more

it felt so short and quick

>Maybe just stick to Wes Anderson movies.

This pretension is so delicious I can't help but continue egging you on.

The Witch is poser filter

>can't answer the question
Do you take months to understand a simple question as well? I'm sure your handler could at least help you.

Style over substance

This and the style is bland as fuck

I watch a film every Monday and Friday so I can have some time to think about everything that happened.

Why would you go to an art show and just read the description and run to the next one without giving it a second though?

It's because you're a pleb.

Just so everyone knows, The Shining and The Exorcist are the best horror films of all time

You literally said it takes you months to understand a film. Why did you change it to three days? Post top 10.

I said it takes months to make a film.

Learn to read.

Do you speed read posts on Sup Forums too? top kek

Agreed. Well done but bland and wasted a lot of wasted effort.

Witch as a movie was like someone took a lot of effort to build a house, build a beautiful frame, walls, foundation, but never decorated the inside, and no one lives there.

Is accurate.

Is it a terrible movie? No, from a technical standpoint it was good.

The frustrating part of threads like these is people thinking that everyone criticizing is a pleb who was bored by it.

This is like being the guy that crams for every test instead of studying it over time. You end up retaining nothing

fucking spread out that shit

literally mediocre shit in every. i mean every single aspect.

so naturally you faggots think its great. get some taste or better yet commit suicide

>Witch as a movie was like someone took a lot of effort to build a house, build a beautiful frame, walls, foundation, but never decorated the inside, and no one lives there.

you put how I felt about it into words.

When the movie finished, I just thought it was so lacking and that sums it up

Calling someone a pleb is a red flag for being a pleb