Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio:
mega.nz/#!dNtARY5Q!bfm7xOeRcRilrs3qkP-DAFUUKBW4DEcGQ_IR_PWkYo0
Mixing Engineers Handbook:
mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz
mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU

Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle
mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ub0ekegc
clyp.it/q5imbmjc
clyp.it/cagdsb41
clyp.it/30tom22y
clyp.it/pcm02qw0
clyp.it/ai1c1z2s
clyp.it/5uu5j0og
clyp.it/tvfnr2hm
clyp.it/nralonm1
clyp.it/ij4rsjy5
youtube.com/watch?v=tBZ9tl50_EY
soundcloud.com/twatwave/i-pick-my-hoes-like-i-pick-my-fruit
youtube.com/watch?v=wuzD3m1Spj8
gearslutz.com/board/music-picture/1158733-music-libraries-you-can-recommend.html
clyp.it/h3vfbylj
clyp.it/injh4szm
clyp.it/hj3edlxs
clyp.it/3entzhyy?token=18fdc75b7b4ddaa35af08cb1b1c8ffea
clyp.it/xo5u3xqa
reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/76ape9/i_have_released_my_1418_instrumental_pieces_free/
instaud.io/1kzx
clyp.it/d0n5pmhj
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=90&v=udAtD-EhH10
vocaroo.com/i/s19YYgGfVElk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OP here... i chose that pic because i had a related question.

has anyone here earned any money from their /prod/ related work and abilities?

would someone pay for this to be in a film?

clyp.it/ub0ekegc
rate my orchestral shit, also why is it easier to make something emotional like this compared to something with an actual rhythm, granted i've only been trying to learn how to produce for like a month but mainly by messing around and reading little things here and there.

sounds good, could picture this in some sort of indie film.

Recommend me some music with sampled drums that actually sound good
I'm trying to make solo post-punk/new wave/indie whatever-the-fuck stuff and because I want to use my DAW synths I've just been cooking it all together on my laptop with guitar/bass recordings but I don't like the way my drums sound. I've just been arranging them manually so far but I've tried making them sound realistic and I've tried just rolling with it and getting weird and electronic but I haven't been super satisfied with either one
I feel like I need some inspiration so hit me with the best shit you got. I know the obvious ones like Loveless/Deathconsciousness already

What did you use for the guitar? It sounds kinda fake/synthesized. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass but if you added some variation with the velocity and whatnot it would definitely help. Compositionally though I dig it
I wouldn't bank on monetizing it just because getting money from anything music-related is awful these days but I'm sure there are channels that could help you get set up with a director/production company and vice-versa. I don't really know for sure though

How do I make beats like J Hus and Dave Santan?

clyp.it/q5imbmjc

just finished this /prod/

street sects - end position

Do inversions change the functionality of a chord? If you resolve to an inversions of the tonic is it less resolved than in standard position?

>Do inversions change the functionality of a chord?
You betcha!

>If you resolve to an inversions of the tonic is it less resolved than in standard position?
Not exactly, but it definitely sounds different, every little detail matters.

started fucking around with pocket operators in august.
clyp.it/cagdsb41
thoughts? would appreciate

good shit

:') thank you!!

clyp.it/30tom22y

Been trying to mix this guitar+drum track. Thinking of rerecording a few bits but whatchu guys think song structure wise?
clyp.it/pcm02qw0

It sounds like avant-garde Kenny G.

1.Drums sound boxy and very quiet.
2. Rhythm Guitar sounds out of tune with the Lead Guitar, or is playing wrong notes.
3. The chord progressions don't make a whole lotta sense, becomes a bit more coherent after vocals enter.

I like the energy you put into it but you're gonna need a lot of work to get there.

clyp.it/ai1c1z2s

>It sounds like avant-garde Kenny G.
Thank you

clyp.it/5uu5j0og

clyp.it/tvfnr2hm

fuck i think a retard actually learned to use a daw holy shit

BUMP

Would you mind not polluting this thread, thanks.

oooh FUCK YOU GUYS why do you always discourage me! FUCK I just wanna do music

Thoughts?

clyp.it/nralonm1

fuck you I worked hard on that. why the fuck can't you give me feedback?

Shut the fuck up you literal waste of space.

fuck you. you are just jealous of my awesome drum programming

>clyp.it/ai1c1z2s
Masterpiece

>clyp.it/5uu5j0og
Rocked my socks off. I can see this surpassing vaporwave.

clyp.it/ij4rsjy5

great track

I like the experimentation on this.

You can do it.

Not bad my dude, vocals sound like they're coming from the bottom of a well tho.

Cute and nice.

Nice sound design.

What's good beatmaking DAW? I have some novice piano chops (can play most chords and melodies i want, just lack independence and technique) as well. Got a mic and an interface as well, just need a stand, pop filter and some software

Any DAW (of the main ones) is good for that, but I feel the hiphop "beatmaker" scene leans more toward FL Studio, so you'll likely find more tutorials, presets, samples, and general resources for the techniques you want for it.

I have seen this around and I think i'm going to pull the trigger on it; thanks.

You're welcome user.
If you want to pirate it I can help you.

Meh. I have a job and my overheads are low, I can spend a little on frivolous bullshit and besides if I pay for it it feels a lot more like an investment that I will want to get my money's worth for.

You're right user. Have fun.
Youtuber SeamlessR has great tutorial if you want to start.
He's more EDM-oriented but his basics are solid regardless of genre and should help you a lot.

Thanks.

anyone wanna laugh at how bad my shite is?

youtube.com/watch?v=tBZ9tl50_EY

how do i get my piano to sound like this?

soundcloud.com/twatwave/i-pick-my-hoes-like-i-pick-my-fruit

every grand piano i use sound like shit

can anyone figure out what kinda piano this is and link me it or whatever

1000$ to the guy that figures it out

Can I ask a shit question

What's this guy doing here, what piece of equipment is he using?

youtube.com/watch?v=wuzD3m1Spj8

>place random shit on your desk
I hate when youtubers do this

my near field monitors are too bright, what's a good substitute for clarity anyone know?

gearslutz.com/board/music-picture/1158733-music-libraries-you-can-recommend.html

its a roland 404 sampler Kimbra uses one

It's kinda sad when you go to check /prod/ after having roughly 16 hits from a bong and the first post you see is some brainlet pointing out youtubers having shit on their desk.

yeah, im sure he really needs to have those cassettes there. and its really useful to cram a lego character between the knobs of your synth or put a bunch of resistors randomly on the desk

Try FL Studio or Ableton

Pretty cool atmospheres, tho I'd appreciate more variation, more verb, more sound design. This really really reminds me of that Temporal Parallax track on the tonal plexus.

It's one of the Korg Legacy pianos. Now where's my 1000 buckaroos? :^)

bumping this, anyone willing to listen? I always feedback y'all

The kick is heavy, but then skrillex's is like that isn't he. Just as overall observation, the arranging is cloudy, in that you tend to focus on kick and snare when listening. Better in my view to have something stand out that isn't (just) the drums. I got halfway through and its fine, that interlude vocal is a little quiet but then that probably suits it. Its ok, but I don't know why people do remixes, if you're going to roll your sleeves up you may as well do your own piece

>The kick is heavy, but then skrillex's is like that isn't he.
Very different kick on the original track.

>if you're going to roll your sleeves up you may as well do your own piece
I mostly do originals, but I really liked the vocals on this and the overall mood, so I remixed it. Most of the times it's the vocals or a very catchy melody that wins people over and they wanna put a spin on them.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and write your thoughts

hello /prod/

teach me the ways of hi-NRG euro disco

Linndrum + Analog Synth Emulations, make sure to cut everything below 120Hz as bass wasn't something that existed back then.

a friend of mine came with this demo. He tried to do something over a morse code of "love" in portuguese. clyp.it/h3vfbylj . Any suggestions?

sounds really nice, picks up after 1:30, a little too much compression for my taste tho. Sick piano solo.

clyp.it/injh4szm

I definitely have a lot of hum in my setup, like this bass clyp. Any ideas how to minimize hum while recording it or removing hum after recording?

piano part is interesting, rest is boring imo

Find that one little humming frequency and multiband compress it.

clyp.it/hj3edlxs
a house jawn, just looking for feedback on the mix

It's noisy, also clipping. I like the idea but the reverbs are clashing so much.

thanks friendo i'll see what i can do

Thanks man

Notch filter - if the hum is a constant frequency at a constant level it makes no sense to use multiband compression () because the compressor would reduce gain further at times when the hum is being masked by other instruments in the same frequency band.

Multiband Compression would be much more subtle than a notch filter in my opinion.

If you set your compressor threshold below the level of the hum so that the hum triggers the compressor you're reducing gain at that band, yes? That could be done with a notch filter.

But, with a compressor, it'll reduce the gain at that band even further at times when it doesn't need to - ie: when there are other instruments in that band masking the hum, makes no sense to do that.

Thing is, you're gonna compress a tiny area, just where that hum is located, so it's not gonna have an impact like the one you're describing imo. Also if you do a really steep notch, you're probably gonna cause some phasing at that area. But ye, any of these is good to go, just that I found through experience multiband comp to fix issues better lately.

Does burial only use samples for his atmospheres and melodies or does he actually use software/hardware, i just picture him moving samples around everywhere in a program

>compress a tiny area, just where that hum is located

>if you do a really steep notch, you're probably gonna cause some phasing at that area

Wouldn't choosing to compress a tiny area also involve a narrow (High Q) notch though? A 3db gain reduction at that band with a notch filter will have the same effect as a 3db reduction with a multiband compressor set to the same narrow frequency range (since it uses the same filter types to isolate bands), but a compressor will apply even more gain reduction at times when it doesn't need to - both multibands and notch filters have controls over filter slope so the only thing that needs considered is the behaviour of both devices at signal levels above those that would mask the hum.

Just to be clear here - keep in mind that hum tends to be constant so saying that the compressor would only act at times when the hum is heard is irrelevant, if the hum is constant and the compressor threshold is set to be triggered by the hum then the compressor would always be acting.

Record through a D.I. box, then use a noise gate (preferably just in the frequency band the hum is in) or use something like izotope rx, waves ns1 or fl studios Edison to remove the hum and introduce artifacts

clyp.it/3entzhyy?token=18fdc75b7b4ddaa35af08cb1b1c8ffea

Feedback is appreciated.

lol funny that he told me he was kinda uncomfortable with his piano improv. I'll pass him the feedbacks. Thanks

"Comfy" disco server huh? I guess tell people before you kick / ban then?

Thanks guys

clyp.it/xo5u3xqa

Here is an updated clyp, full with the other instruments.

Meh, it all comes down to my personal experience. I still use both methods but I really recently started doing the multiband compression thing and it just sounds better I think.

You're just achieving the same exact result in a really roundabout way, it won't sound any better or different
The whole point of compression is to even out a dynamic signal
If you're trying to turn something down that is at a constant even level, there's literally no point in using compression to do that.

Is Ableton or Protools better for a dumbass?
I've used Ableton briefly before and it was alright, but I've heard a lot of people use PT as well and I have a new computer so I might try something new.
I'm gonna record guitar and bass and program drums for xxxtreme metal, nothing electro.

reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/76ape9/i_have_released_my_1418_instrumental_pieces_free/

Why are people doing this? Of course nobody will want to pay musician for a work when they can just use free music like this. Although t b h, this is shitty.

Useful for exposure maybe? A lot of people just like making music as a hobby too though, so if any of it is any use to someone else it's a bonus.

Ableton for sure. Pro Tools is only good if you're mixing/mastering stuff, its MIDI support is terrible and you're not really meant to start on it.

>nobody will want to pay musician for a work when they can just use free music like this

People with money want to get the good shit, not some free library.

Pro-tools is the industry standard. If you are learning from scratch, I'd say protools. I just like the layout of ableton more. It suits what I need.

It's the industry standard only when it comes to recording studios.
Definitely not for bedroom producers or independent music creators (that would be Ableton).

At the end of the day it all depends on what your goal is, and how each DAW's strengths fit it.

>Not mentioning FL

>Is Ableton or Protools better for a dumbass
>better
>for a dumbass
I think we're forgetting (((someone)))

Holy shit this post is autistic

i've got my first track written and structured out now the obstacle is to make it sound good

what is your favourite resource for learning how to eq and master

sorry my english isn't the first language so i had to translate some of this

FL is the most stable host after Reaper

FL is like Ableton but it's a close second.

>clyp.it/3entzhyy?token=18fdc75b7b4ddaa35af08cb1b1c8ffea

this needs better mixing my man creat some space and balance the mix
also I think the gun shots are messing with the bounce of the track might be batter to axe them

instaud.io/1kzx

hi c0rn

:no_mouth:

So I fucking around with some punk rock, trying to get a nice mix template going. Sorry about the sloppy performance, I just want to know what you think of the mix.

clyp.it/d0n5pmhj

Really like the way the drums sound, nice work
The bass could stand out a little more maybe but that's just my subjective opinion

I though some of his synth sounds in recent EPs were programmed by midi in a DAW but even those are samples of youtube videos of people playing synths:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=90&v=udAtD-EhH10

1:28 and 1:39

>burial will never sample your obscure synth noodling

I guess I could open it a bit more towards the upper end to bring it out in the mix.

Thanks for feedback.

vocaroo.com/i/s19YYgGfVElk

well that went nowhere.

are those live drums or what

sounds good as fuck

Steven Slate.

I'm not a huge fan of their plugins, but their drums seems to outperform the competition by a large margin.

I think the server itself got deleted. shit just disappeared and no one knows what happened.