How do you find the truth about something in a post truth world?

How do you find the truth about something in a post truth world?

Bump

It's gotten pretty hard. Everything's so biased and opinionated, journalism is effectively dead, and most of the fact-checking sites are so biased they're useless. I try to listen to a wide range of sources, but to get to the real truth and dig back to the original papers or the original events behind them. But fuck, that's a lot of work even in the best case.

By not searching for anything.

The problem today is that, everything looks like the truth. So even if you'll find it you wouldn't know.

You can spot some of the tell-tale signs of bullshit fairly easily. Making blanket statements ("X is a racist") instead of lsiting specifics ("X did A, B, and C, which is racist") is one, so is treating comparable situations very differently, depending on the politics of the people involved. But that just points out bullshit, it doesn't reveal the truth.

And what are you trying to accomplish doing that? Because basically all you will really get is maybe a peace of mind. Can you live knowing that your superior intelligence you developed for thousands of years is now wasted and will be almost completely irrelevant if things continue like they do now ?

You have to think critically. That means when you read a statement, you need to consider the source and what biases they might have, whether there were any facts involved and how reasonable they are (that's the hard part for betas), and whether your own biases tend to make you lean towards one conclusion or the other.

Most importantly, try to distinguish between opinion and fact. Right now, facts are under attack as questionable. That's not true. It's the interpretations of facts that are questionable.

If it's important to you, look it up and get more information or viewpoints.

That's obvious if you know how to be skeptical about sources and information, but revealing a truth is in a complete different scale of a problem.
When people uses the same high level language, using the same level of professionals portraying themselves trustworthy in the same waybof the one telling the truth - you can't possibly have a chance against that do you?

>what are you trying to accomplish doing that
I'm not doing anything.

>peace of mind
Not just that but that already is truth.
Truth that will be taken appart by constant oversteering, which is the root of the problem that causes the search in the first place.

>wasted
How is it wasted? Elaborate.

Dig into root sources. Avoiding talking heads and advocacy pieces.

When you let anyone manipulate you however they like, you are giving your mind for someone else to control. Now obviously that always used to be the case with religion and war.
But this feels like a much bigger problem, because right now everyone is truly for their own benefit.
While you had countries that their main goal was to progress as a nation to become powerful and lower threats, today everything is becoming more of a global problem of rich vs poor. It's not about the power of a country but more about class. And that's very scary becausd at this day and age nothing REALLY matters for humanity but money. And it's terrifying

Wat?

You don't

I sort of agree with you, but if that's the problem you will in most cases be lost.
Because those same people that look and sound reliable might also tell you a lie from a different propaganda that tries to capture the attention of a skeptic like yourself. So you are coming to the beginning point - that your ways of challenging lies is always getting more advanced and they always track how an audience would think to tackle any disbelief. And we reached a point where nothing can be legit unless you personally test it from ground 0

>When you let anyone manipulate you however they like
Do I? You are now calling me stupid and that doesn't even relate to the topic at hand.

What you say here is that people are selfish.
That has alwas been so and will always be so.

In the first place I do not at all understand what any of you mean by "looking for the truth" as if there was one permanent fixed and unchangable truth which could be held on to forever.

You can say the Truth is water flows downhill.
But ultimately that is a lie too.

One of you has to come up and explain to me what you are actually talking about when you ask for the truth.

By root sources, I mean watch the unfiltered video or read the scientific papers.

So how do you live your life?

The truth about any controversial topic.
If you take any true controversial you will find numerous sources stating "A" with scientific/history evidence and "B" with scientific/history evidence. How do you tackle that

Learn to evaluate scientific evidence. It's not all equal.

Why would I need truth for what I don't need?
Just to say that I have the truth?
Again that obviously doesn't work that way anyways.

When I get caught in an avalance I spit, the spit will tell the truth.
People cannot help but lie all the time.
Never did trust people and never will. I find the truth I need by reason.

A study of man might aswell be called a study of a lie.

There are reliable sources and reliable studies that are false even today and they always have been this way

You went a long way to say almost nothing, user.

Nice troll.
2/5 made me reply

On the offchance you are actually born without reading comprehension, here, have a 9erchart of something.

Truth is objective. Actively look for cited dissenting views and fact check. One of them is wrong. By process of elimination, the other is correct.

1. Learn the difference between fact conjecture and opinion and practice identifying each.
.....Trump said something Truth
.....Trump said something racist (without know what he actually said) Conjecture
.....Trump is a racist Opinion

2. Accept that for expedience people use inexact language and that this is understood and expected.
....Water flows downhill = material in a liquid state flow in the direction of gravity when allowed to do so and not acted upon by an opposing outside force.

You went a long way to say almost nothing, user.

the same way you always have... relying on other has never been a way to find "the truth" ... and people have never been "truthful" so the "post truth" world ... is just the same as the "truth world" ... actually you have a better chance of find the truth in this world considering it is now common knowledge that journalism is propaganda bull shit ... before you used to call their lies truth ... now you call their lies , lies and that is the truth

cant take it , then fap , play video games and stfu

You are assuming that:

You are the ultimate arbiter of truth. You are not the physical universe around us is the arbiter of truth.

>>People cannot help but lie all the time.
This statement is nonsense, you state that people unintentionally perform and intentional act. thereby nullifying the rest of your argument.

I never assumed that.
And here we start again from scratch with the same arguments over and over that will lead nowhere.

>You are not the physical universe around us is the arbiter of truth.
see
>When I get caught in an avalance I spit, the spit will tell the truth.

You sir, are literaly retarded.
But that's Sup Forums for you, I don't even know why I tried to discuss good questions with bad people.

No joke, but are there any good left intelligent podcasts out there? I listen to Ben Shapiro from time to time and he is very smart but hardcore conservative. I don't think I get the whole picture u know? Any suggestions?

>When I get caught in an avalance I spit, the spit will tell the truth
You'll have to provide some context for that. I've never been caught in an avalanche and I don't participate in pop culture.

There is no 'post truth' I appreciate that all that we observe is personal and that all persons are faulted with bias. That does not mean that the forces that bind the universe are somehow malleable to our whims.

You are engaging in the sort of intellectual masturbation that is likely to lead you further from truth instead of closer to it.

searching for this^

>You'll have to provide some context for that.
Aaand you've disqualified yourself for any intelligent discussion here.
Thanks.

> I've never been caught in an avalanche
And probably also couldn't think about the fact that
a.) you'd be burried underneath layers of snow
b.) you'll be disoriented as fuck
c.) the only way to know which way is up in this scenario is to drop something

I've never been in an avalance either.

Had a good laugh at this. But now I must abandon the thread because quite honestly, stupidity like this is really frustrating to deal with.
And don't give me none of this "lel troll shit".
I can smell your pretentious stupidity all over your post.

>You are engaging in the sort of intellectual masturbation that is likely to lead you further from truth
That is an assumption.

A thread about truth filled with assumptions. Maybe that tells you all something.

Ok, well have a nice life then, but realize your own parable about an avalanche proves that you know there is truth.

You are correct that I am assuming that your engaging in this belief that a 'post truth world' exists will lead you astray. Consider that it might be an assumption based in experience. Also consider that I knew, or at least assumed, I knew what you were talking about but that I have enough experience with truth to know that just because you said something in the vernacular of a historical quote didn't make it so.