youtube.com/watch?v=65g0VmaylAk
youtube.com/watch?v=bxkXc_QmL_c
youtube.com/watch?v=QjGtNPEWruM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qt23KDSjxeo
youtube.com/watch?v=xtOdM3hMfqU
youtube.com/watch?v=z0ojO0Ich0M
youtube.com/watch?v=AyupQ96gKoQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hate it but clearly I'm the only one that does because I see nothing but fucking praise for this thing.

Why?

not really a fan of southern rap

are you being ironic?

No.
I very literally hate the fucking album. It's one of the worst rap albums I've listened to.

how could you possibly hate this thing? It's literally a 10/10
youtube.com/watch?v=WOgcxdyBVFw

One of the most claustrophobic hip hop albums I've ever heard
t. Never heard Memphis rap

I hate the memphis rap aesthetic.
I hate the cheap ass sound/mixing that sounds like it was done in 2 minutes.
I hate the shitty pen and pixel album covers.
I hate his voice.

Need more?

>Never heard Memphis rap
Or I've heard it and don't like it.
That's a possibility.

have you listened to this album in a car with full stereo?

No, I used headphones. Does that make a difference?

The jocking of early 3-6 is a white boy internet meme

Mid-career 3-6 is much better

Not earbuds. But as long as you can hear the full bass, which works best in a car. Otherwise i can understand how the album might sound tinny and hollow when it's just all treble you're hearing. The bass is going to lull you into the trance that people always talk about with this album.

As for his voice, yeah i always accepted it as kinda quirky and even goofy at times ("my ma said there'd be days like this but ma DADDY never told me!"), but never got to hatred of it. I just accepted it as him. He keeps a pretty consistent pattern of going up and down every other line, and when he deviates from it for a second, it's exciting.

>le white people prefer it it's bad
nice meme

so is acting like Mystic Stylez is some seminal hip hop album

stop it man you're destroying my favorites

except it is

It's the best 3 6 / affiliates album imo, followed by pic related

middle class white boi here

early 36 / early Memphis sound is the best in hip hop

Excuse me

90s southern rap has the ugliest album art imaginable

Its an art form

>ugliest

ironic since that cover is actually GOAT

Memphis rap is very good.
youtube.com/watch?v=EvCa9zExqrU

Literally every album past When The Smoke Clears is straight up garbage. Three 6 made like 3 actually good songs post-2000.

Mystic Styles>>>Underground Vol1>The End>World Domination>When The Smoke Clears>>>>>>every thing else except "Stay High" which, while it obviously rules, is a departure from their signature sound.

Luckily, there are countless Memphis gems from lesser known names if you're willing to dig. There's honestly no reason to listen to post-2000 Three 6 at all.

as someone who mostly listens to metal and electronic music it's probably my favorite hip hop album ever.

you broke rule number 1

do not, steal, from me

>Tomskee Mask

Damn that's almost as great as Big Aloe

Sippin on some syrup is a hood classic fucc nigga

youtube.com/watch?v=Nqs6XthE5bE

>i got a knock on the door man who is it bitch

meanwhile Paul adds a couple extra knocks on the bass drum to simulate knocking in the background. So genius

>AND MY M F'N SELF

yeah but literally nothing else from Memphis comes close to three six. They were truly on top of their scene with everything. Lil Noid is the only one i can truly enjoy

BURNIN IN THE CORNFIELD

Devil's Playground>Smoked Out Loced Out>Vol 1>Mystic Stylez>>>Body Parts>>>>errything else

>is it my niggas from the mother fuckin triple six?

the delivery is so fucking slick

the casualness with which he delivers lines involving death destruction blood and devil worship separates it from other rappers who would normally be screaming that shit. And plus he's not even trying to sound nonchalant, he just is

>i'll break ya part and have a ritual in the fuckin park

Gay liberal cuck faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=50S-WzsMLOk

Those creepy comforting bells don't do it for you? I mean, I'm not a expert on mixing, but it sounds good to me. It puts me in a mood, plus that bass. The elements are combined perfectly.

There are probably at least 50 Memphis tapes equal to or better than anything Three 6 ever did. You need to do more research.

...Sippin On Some Syrup is on When The Smoke Clears and it's the only great song on the album. I don't understand the point of your retarded post.

it aint anything outta frayser click

Da Summa is my favorite triple six track.

Anybody like Evil Pimp?
youtube.com/watch?v=m9ugrcUpapE

DJ Sound's frayser click tapes are straight fire, especially Vol 11.

Do you have to be a fan of the 90's memphis scene to truly appreciate mista thug isolation?

youtube.com/watch?v=RTROHRlEwk8
youtube.com/watch?v=1-97qC72XaM
youtube.com/watch?v=65g0VmaylAk
youtube.com/watch?v=bxkXc_QmL_c
Who /tommy/ here

Please educate yall selves

this beat is nice

LUM's production is straight Memphis, but his flows are more east coast. He doesn't really do the triplet shit at all.

Project Pat - Mistah Don't Play
Blackout - Dreamworld
Lil Slim - Robbery's My Specialty
Everything TWIII
Guice - Ashes Off My Blunt
Snubnoze - Off Safety
Lil Noid - Paranoid Funk
Player 1 & Bloody Bones - Crime Rate Sky High
Gangsta Pat - Deadly Verses
Nigga Creep - Demons Takin Over Me

yeah on a crackly dark shit type vibe, if you want to switch it up. But it's still not better than paul or juicy. And Paul and Juicy could still do it better. They outpaced everyone

Paul and Juicy J became legitimately terrible at production post-2000 and were never that great at it to begin with.

DJ Sound and Blackout are tied for best Memphis producer.

Tommy Wright III

They were literal teenagers when producing devil's playground, da summa, their tapes.

How does a teenager make something like this youtube.com/watch?v=C5fwP6pYXtk and you not give them credit? They made this, in the hoods of memphis, with equipment available in the early 90s. Sound never made anything like that, sorry. Dunno about blackout.

Although i have wondered about the post 2000s drop as well. The creativity literally went down to a zero. How can you be incredibly innovative, imaginative, draw from a number of influences, a smart composer, and talented with your instruments at 17 years old, and be utterly dull in your 30s? Makes me think someone else was writing for them all those years

youtube.com/watch?v=QjGtNPEWruM

superior

it generally works in the reverse way, it did for me at least

I agree that early Three 6 is amazing, not disputing that at all. I think Juicy J ended up focusing less on production and more on production, since his skills on the mic never dropped off too badly. I think he can still rap very well today when he really puts forth the effort. I think Paul was really the mastermind of the early Three 6 sound, but I have no idea wtf has been wrong with him the past 15 years or so.

In my opinion DJ Sound had the best entries in the creepy broken music box unnerving foggy shadowy Silent Hill-like sound that I associate strongly with Memphis. To me, he was somehow able to really evoke the idea of psychosis - a broken, delusional mind - with his beats.

Two best examples of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Qt23KDSjxeo
youtube.com/watch?v=xtOdM3hMfqU

But he also had versatility as shown with this one, whose beat doesn't sound Memphis-y at all.
youtube.com/watch?v=z0ojO0Ich0M

As for Blackout, check out the tapes he produced. He's extremely talented.

>less on production and more on rapping

early 2000s southern rap is superior
youtube.com/watch?v=AyupQ96gKoQ

>not liking Memphis rap

no, it's actually not a possibility

>not UGK
>not Outkast
>one of the lesser T.I. tracks

stop your pussyfooting

The truest successor to Perotin.

i feel this guy, i don't hate the genre by any means but i don't understand the people who listen to it exclusively (mostly white kids in their late teens, but regardless)

>i don't understand the people who listen to it exclusively

because once you start you cant stop. Always looking for that high.

It's creative, standalone for its era, and "real" by all accounts

and i've heard those songs of course, his most famous basically. Prefer reachin for my mask to those two actually. They seem too amateur to me, as well as the creativity not being there the same way it is with paul. But that's just me.

kill yourself dude

Is memphis rap hip-hop's black metal?