Did anyone else fucking HATE the Operative...

Did anyone else fucking HATE the Operative? Dude had a fucking katana and went around like he was the most epic dude in the universe spouting bible quotes and shit. A few years later and he'd have been wearing a fucking fedora. And they treated him like he was completely serious and a major threat.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5K4vdKM_E90
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He was based as fuck you nigger.

HE KILLED SPOILER

Made these ten years ago.

He was badass, I wish he'd been in the actual series.

Serenity was pretty good.

If he'd been in the actual series maybe he would have had some proper development but as it is he just felt like some overpowered guy who came out of nowhere.

the villains for serenity should been those two guys with the blue hands who had those devices which made people bleed to death, did we ever find out who they were?

Not sure of the specific details but I read they actually got killed in some comic that was released leading up to Serenity. They got fired.

I was about to agree before I realised that's a different black guy from the edgelord bounty hunter from the final episode.

Now that guy was tipping his space fedora hard.

I looked into it more and apparently they're described as "independent contractors." So we know they were hired by the Alliance to shut River up about the Reaver stuff. Would have been cool to know WHAT they were, but I guess we already know everything we really need to know.

He was pretty much my favourite thing about Serenity.

That guy had a similar problem but I found him hilarious because he had a theme song that played as he was sneaking around.

youtube.com/watch?v=5K4vdKM_E90

Am I a lion?

I had deja vu from this thread until I remembered you posted this exact paragraph in an earlier one.

He was a convenient representation of everything Mal hated, which made him nice and broad for a movie villain. They already debunked the euphoric nigger archetype with Early anyway.

The difference between Early and the Operative was that Early was very tongue-in-cheek with stuff like the aforementioned lion thing. The Operative was played completely straight despite being a ridiculous character in every sense of the word and so he wasn't nearly as fun.

I don't think he was meant to be fun like Early was anyway. They needed a serious villain that lent authenticity to the evil Mal is always hinting at, so a human version of that served the purpose well.

Which would be a great idea, yes. The problem is that the supposedly serious villain was too absurd to be taken seriously.

You can blame Whedon for that I guess. I think the seriousness works because the plot and characters are just as serious the whole time. If Mal was cracking jokes the whole time, it wouldn't really be the big 'epic' he probably wanted it to be.

Besides, isn't it good to hate the villain for being an edgelord. All the more reason to see him beaten.

If literally anybody other than chiwetel ejiofor played him I would've agreed with you.

I suppose that's all true. That tone was something that bugged me in general about Serenity because it was so far removed from what I enjoyed about Firefly. I just wanted to share my opinions and see if anyone else agreed, but I do appreciate the alternate perspectives.

>Guy killed me, Mal. He killed me with a sword. How weird is that?

The characters in firefly were generally fun I thought, the only new one in serenity who was fun was mister universe but even he didn't feel like he would belong in the original series

God, serenity was so fucking COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The problem was stuffing all of the ideas Whedon had left for the next few seasons of the show into one movie. The Operative could have worked if we had time for his desperation to escalate and what not.

It's definitely a different atmosphere than the show, probably because they knew it would end the series and wanted it to be meaningful. I think it works great if you're happy to see the show reach a conclusion, but I feel like it left you wanting more.