Am I supposed to like this?

Am I supposed to like this?

I can see what people like about it, but it's just so dated (in a bad way) for me. I don't find it funny and the songs are just dumb. What am I missing out on?

>the songs are just dumb
or maybe you're just a faggot

Did you watch it alone or at a group event. Because if it's the former, you're doing it wrong. Audience participation is crucial.

LETS DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIN

Why? I should be able to enjoy a film on it's own merit.

I went to see it live. Here's my experience

>get there, ugly as fuck girl wearing nothing but bra walking up and down isles charging 2 dollars for 5 second makeout
>guy running this cast is a fat 30 year old neckbeard
>half of the cast are either nu-males, fat guys or fat girls, no pretty girls in sight
>people in the audience were mostly normal people with the exception of a few weirdos
>movie starts, can't hear the movie because one neckbeard keeps shouting obscenities whenever something happens
>they get up on the stage and act out the music parts poorly lip synced,
>one faggot behind me kept yelling in my ear the whole time

It was te cringest hing I've ever been to

I refuse to see this movie on the basis of it being too weird, and every explanation of the movie given to me just tells me it's terrible.

Maybe you're just mentally challenged

This movie is straight up pure and unadulterated trash. It's filth. A pit of despair. It disgusts me, it disgusts everyone.

It's good as a musical and comedy, just ignore the mass hype around the events and enjoy it for what it is. Make up your own mind.

It's all Tim Curry's performance for me

The music is great and the movie is enjoyable, Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon in particular

It's akin to watching any other b rated movie / musical. For funsies

>seeing it live
>and not the actual movie

literally wtf?

you're supposed to watch it live in a theater full of degenerates in lingerie

Songs are the only good part. The rest of the movie is dumb.

it's a shit film. watching with an audience only makes it shittier.

ONCE IN A WHILE

It was always bad.

Your not missing a thing

dat Sarandon bush tho

But why is this one specifically held in high regard?

>Dear toaster

Because people like it, that's literally the only reason. Are you autistic? Do you realize that people can like different things? Your question is retarded and your thread is retarded. Fuck off.

You're not a degenerate. Therefore you don't like tranny-musicals, or even the merely gay ones.

>>get there, ugly as fuck girl wearing nothing but bra walking up and down isles charging 2 dollars for 5 second makeout

Protip: not a genetic female

>75717306

also, most certainly riddled with HSV

I still haven't seen it live but I really like the film as well
actually seen it today for like the third time, it's flawed but I like it

If you understand why people like it, why make the thread?

It's a collision of various kinds of trashiness; the B-movie sci-fi/horror trappings are the perfect complement to the hypersexual rock music and the way the story looks at WASPy repression and debauchery. It's weirdly cohesive and cohesive in its weirdness. That's the fun.

>Am I supposed to like this?
You're not supposed to like anything, bitch.
>not liking something about transvestitism, bisexuality, and dudes in skimpy clothing
>lol faggot
I don't think you understand the - oh, you mean the songs.

Wait.
>implying we should like musicals

>too weird
It's pretty much okay if you go in expecting as much. If you try to take it seriously I think you're missing the point.

I can take or leave, probably wouldn't really have a need to watch it again except out of utter boredom, but I do know someone who loves it, and if she wanted to go with me to see it or something, I'd go in a heartbeat just to be with her.

N-not that I'm in love with her or anything...

>It's terrible haha
>but that's what makes it great!

Literally the worst reason to claim something is bad.

I've only seen it once. In college I was pulling an all nighter in the dorm common area, and this super gay dude was up and a handful of other randos. He put the movie on and sing along with every single line in the movie. The movie itself wasn't funny at all and was way too bizarre for me to enjoy, but it was funny watching the fag sing and dance.

So from what it seems most people claim this movie is good when watching it with a group of fanatics? Doesn't that mean that movie is pretty shit if it can't stand on its own?

Oh yeah, the movie was awful. I was trying to specifically point out that watching the dude's antics was better than the actual movie.

I think the group viewings have more to do with the film's history as a cult success and how it's unusually celebrated more than the appeal of the movie itself. That is, the group viewings are for people that are already fans I think.

I watched it for the first time with a friend and have only ever watched it alone since. It holds up just fine without the bombastic audience shenanigans. But it's definitely not for everyone.

It's a trashy B-movie, lad. Don't go into it looking for the greatest movie ever made or even a good movie. It had aspects to it that made it popular back in the 70s and the huge following it gathered enjoyed just those things and sort of cemented its popularity. You don't have to like it, of course, but don't get angry over it, cult movies are not often coherent or pleasing movies. And they're certainly not for everyone, if they were, they wouldn't be called cult movies.

Can you read faggot it was the movie with people acting while it was playing

>get there, ugly as fuck girl wearing nothing but bra walking up and down isles charging 2 dollars for 5 second makeout

yup that sounds about right