What do you Joel Osteen? Is there anything wrong with what he actually teaches...

What do you Joel Osteen? Is there anything wrong with what he actually teaches? He is considered one of the most popular Christian pastors in America, maybe even the most.

Other urls found in this thread:

newsweek.com/joel-osteen-televangelist-whose-church-closed-during-hurricane-harvey-tells-659302
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleansing_of_the_Temple
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_and_the_rich_young_man
openbible.info/topics/sharing_wealth
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's a fag and so are you

His theology is fucked. He's a greedy cunt who uses his position for his own benefit.

How exactly bad is the theology? I keep seeing his stuff referenced to as "Word of Faith" or "Prosperity Gospel," do his teachings have much to do with that? Have you ever watched his TV program, or listened to his radio show?

I Joel Osteen my balls nearly nightly

He will ask you to send him monies, user. He's a jew

Financially exploiting devoted Christians since 1999. Televangelists should be treated like the scum they are. They have zero impact on the evolving world around them.

What exactly does he teach to his audiences, though? Does he ever read from the Bible, or does he just talk, paraphrasing the Bible, getting details wrong along the way?

It is shitty cause they have the oratory and could legit convert people and lead them through the darkness if they're looking for thay (Or whatever, idk, I haven't been to church in years). But instead thwy get people to send in their $ on some weird promise of return $$$

He will do some direct quoting, but then interpret. He seems to like to open with an alagorical tale that he has "heard" from one of the (apparently many) regular Joes he runs into

Fucking Dr Joyce Meyer is way more better. They both exploit stupid people though.

Could you show me a link with evidence that Osteen does bribe people into getting material gains in blessings, in exchange for donations to his church? Thanks.

What is Joyce Meyer like, is she that different from Joel? I see them often lumped together, with the Prosperity Gospel movement, or Word of Faith, in that they both believe in the "name it and claim it" principle behind receiving blessings. Also, I am under the impression that Christians are not even supposed to have female Pastors, as that is something the New Testament is against.

He is a motivational speaker with christian overtones

Prosperity gospel. Pretty much of a lightweight, as far as theology goes. Not someone to take seriously if you are serious about Christianity. The folks who follow these charismatic types are more interested in the dopamine hit from getting all worked up. Kind of like posting on Sup Forums.

Prosperity gospel. pretty much flies directly in the face of lots of points in the new testament that state that christians should be anti-wealth.

So like most other religions, only follows holy text that fits their own worldview.

Ove never seen him directly ask. I've seen him speak about receiving money, and I've definitely seen him plug his books, in fact I tuned in for a minute last weekend and his book title stayed in the bottoms left hand corner for as long as I watched with the "out now" logo below it. I guess YouTube it

Are Christians all really supposed to be poor, or are Christians able to at least live normal middle class lives?

Agree, Jesus's gospel is pretty hardcore, leave everything and follow me.

i dont know about poor but i know they arent meant to be really wealthy. i remember hearing a parable about it being easier to thread a camel thru the eye of a needle than for a wealthy man to enter the gates of heaven.

yeah, pretty much on poverty level. but it also talks a lot about sharing, so if everyone is christian youre not really poor cause you get a lot by sharing.

now that i think about it, its kinda like communism.

Well, the parts of the bible that talks about the early christians really read like some form of communism where people sell their possessions to give to the community and communal meals.

>kinda like communism

BLASPHEMER!

no eternal paradise for you heathen!

The wolves like him only have one message "give me your wealth and you will get more in return" like religious nigerian princes.

Luke 3:10-11
10 “What should we do then?” the crowd asked.

11 John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

if you want to be truly Christian, you would livee as Jesus did. so yes Christians are supposed to be poor.

I wouldn't say poor, more like not require more than you actually need.

While we should strive to be as close to Christ as we could, just doing that and believing it is enough would be like a works form of salvation, which is false. Instead, we are saved by grace.

What are things I should tell someone who is really into listening to Joel Osteen speeches? How could I make them understand that Osteen is a false prophet, or at least very misled himself?

He talks about financial wealth like it is what really matters, yes?

Matthew 19:24
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Matthew 7:15
Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Just say its kind of concerning how rich he is, and how big his churches are. But there is lots of quotes from the bible about wealth, the tale of mammon, and worship of false gold idols.. depends on if they are swayed by logical arguments, or actual bible quotes.

kek.

If you say you believe, but you have no works to show for it, did you really believe?

Hebrews 13:5 ESV
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Timothy 6:10 ESV
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Matthew 6:24 ESV
“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

So, should I book a flight to Africa or Asia, and try to pursue work as a missionary, then? Or, is there a place for Christians to live relatively normal lives at wherever they are from, and try to speak the gospel to people around them, there?

Discernment rule for all people, policy and institutions. Don't listen to words to determine anything, look at the holistic effects on people. Christ is and spoke true, easy to understand logos.
"For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit."

I would say it is to strive to be better than what you are, but it is not up to me, it is up to him who has the authority to judge.
So I guess it would be a matter of conscience.

is so much easier and simpler. We all a mess, just be honest with God about, take some time to pray and read through bible. Go ahead and doubt but just say if its true could you speak to me. He will. All the rest in ones life, He does

It aint about doing good. No one can do good, not one. Its all about we are all like babies born in a prison and He came to destroy the prison and wants to rescue us.

It is by faith alone that we are saved, through asking Jesus Christ for salvation.

like this guy
very upbeat and positive

My fave: Abraham believed God and it was credited as righeousness.

Aint got nothing to do with behaviour (or genetics/culture), just strive to believe and that starts with telling Him "I dont believe, i can't even see you", how can I, help me too."

This. And Dubs confirm

CREFLO!!!!

Well, thanks, but I already believe in Jesus. I'm just saying also, that faith in Christ alone is enough to be saved, but I agree that Christians should try to be as much like Jesus on this Earth as possible. There are some different rewards for our services in Heaven, as well.

just another con man.
if you "follow" him. you are a sucker

even the norks are making fun of us

Used to listen to his broadcasts on Sirius XM. Uplifting but absolutely cringe-worthy stories he makes up. Hes a huge fan of using stories to get a point across, and most of them sound impossible to be real.

The best we can do or offer God is like a dirty menstrual rag... literally.
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Osteen helps people become more cheerful, chill and rich. Fuck the haters, go listen to him some.

And this is the way to have eternal life, that they should keep on knowing the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

How does he help people acquire wealth?

I've noticed how so often he is reliant on all these stories. Does he ever just pick up a Bible and read a few passages from it, or is all he does paraphrasing by his own interpretations of scriptures? I once heard that he, possibly accidentally, made up a verse in the Book of Hebrews, in order to reinforce his point. That sounds extremely shoddy for a Pastor to do.

Hierarchical church is a sham, historically bad fruit. Most haters are right. No more priests intermediate for God. Holy Spirit in is much better than faulty man. Open heart and open bible plus friends that love ya is all we need.

But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.

He just uses Christianity as a framework to svindle people out of their money.
Nothing more than your garden variety conman.

Matthew 23:9
And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

he takes money under false pretenses.
he's also been a noted hypocrite, most recently in refusing to open his indoor stadium to the needy masses of houston.

He did open his church-stadium to the public, though. That's the record I've read.

2 Peter 2: 2-3
And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

>What do you Joel Osteen? Is there anything wrong with what he actually teaches? He is considered one of the most popular "Christian" pastors in America, maybe even the most

There. Fixed it for you.

You be close to him faggot

He is leading me to Glory.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................hole

He's a greedy evil millionare who takes advantage of stupid people and acts like hes doing the world a favor.

After people literally went there to call him out. Fucking hate you sympathizers

Acts 20:30
and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.

He gained credit with me when I heard him telling his sheeple they are not supposed to eat pork etc. They just laughed it off. Christians swear by a book they don't follow. They claim they live by the law, yet don't observe the Sabbath.

But, Lakewood Church issued a statement that said they were really always open to visitors, just that people didn't come in droves yet!

The mosaic law was absolved by Christs sacrifice.

Look at the parts about circumcision to get a handle on how it works.

A good case of confirmed quads. Also, read the Book of Galatians, and there is that point about circumcision and Mosaic Law.

Mark 2:27
And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

Matthew 15:11-12
11it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” 12Then the disciples came and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?”

Nice quads, but I disagree. No big deal, my beliefs. If I'm wrong, it's fine. Problem is, all the stuff about killing people for their sins is old testament stuff that Christians say no longer exist, and there is supposed to be grace.

He's an Evangelical who preaches heresy.

Like, literal heresy.
Prosperity Gospel is heretical to all things that Western Monotheistic religions value.

This was a major point of contention in Houston, road next to his church was flooded, they weren't ready, and weren't open. Doesn't make him bad, he just wasn't prepared like most of us.

Then he got called out and was demonized on social media so he opens the doors and says "hey, they were open all the time but nobody came over" while red cross shelters were filling by the thousands per hour.

So, I don't think he did anything wrong but then lied about it so coverup worse than the crime

Could you explain to me what's wrong with the Prosperty Gospel movement? What do they do and say that's against the Bible? Thanks.

It's really an issue with American (and a lesser degree Australian because they adopt American culture) Evangelical Protestantism.

Jesus probably grew up in a kibbutz.

newsweek.com/joel-osteen-televangelist-whose-church-closed-during-hurricane-harvey-tells-659302
>Pictures and video posted on social media showed the church apparently undamaged by the storm, and Osteen initially claimed he had not opened its doors because he had not been asked to by the state. The church re-opened Tuesday, as floodwaters began to recede.

>“You know I really believe in these times of difficulty it's, for me, certainly not the time to question your faith but to turn to your faith because God is the one that gives you the strength to make it through the difficult times," he said in a video of Sunday's sermon posted on YouTube.
>“We are not going to understand everything that happens but, you know, having a 'poor old me' mentality or 'look what I lost' or 'why did this happen', that's just going to pull you down. Like we've been talking about all night, you just got to turn it over and say 'God you're still on the throne'.”
what a fucking putz

Have people mostly stopped complaining about Osteen's hurricane incident, these days, or are a lot of victims and those nearby really vocal about it still? Has anyone sued Lakewood Church?

... thats tim allen

And that's where Evangelicalism came from. The "Do good works" part of mainstream Christianity didn't make them special because they were inherently selfish.

So the 10 commandment are not valid? How is the Sabbath not a blessing? How is it a burden? I disagree.
Also, if there is a new convenent, died that mean Earth could be flooded again?
Also, if old testament observances are only for Jews, how do you know you are not a member of one of the list tribes?

There's actually like 25 Commandments.

Beating a dead horse, I don't see how these two verses lead you to believe Sabbath is not required to be observed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleansing_of_the_Temple

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_and_the_rich_young_man

Acts 4:32-35 ESV
Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need.

Great point...... Not.

The pact of Abraham is different from the Pact of Christ.
The bible goes on at length on this subject, you have no one to blame, but yourself for your willful ignorance.

Any more good examples like those? I need to know more about why Prosperty Theology is bad. Thank you for your contributions.

God is not a wishing well.

Which verses would you use to support your statement? Thanks!

Jewish Law has 613 Commandments.

openbible.info/topics/sharing_wealth

Why do you need more?

Why is that not sufficient?

seeing the thumbnail without reading the text, i seriously thought that was tim allen

Romans 14:1-12
As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. 2One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. 3Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. 4Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own mastera that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 8For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. 9For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11for it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
and every tongue shall confessb to God.”

12So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

Are you... are you Joel Osteen fishing for counterarguments you have to sharpen your sword against?