Is it true that Jazz drummers are superior to Rock drummers like this movie implies?

Is it true that Jazz drummers are superior to Rock drummers like this movie implies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C1AtfdNKYug
youtube.com/watch?v=tMaWsXW4EsI
youtu.be/5MzuKKN1ZX8
youtu.be/hF2ZYdNBQpc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wouldn´t it be better to ask Sup Forums?

it implies that jazz drummers are more up their own asses

jazz drummers can easily do rock drumming but not the other way around

Yes.

yes this is a correct derivation

Yes

It's not a subjective idea, objectively, jazz drummer play more complicated and challenging music. Listen to the music and tell me which is more challenge.

so basically rock drummers are small white cocks while jazz drummers are big black cocks. good to know

You wot m8?

Jazz experience helps good drummers become great drummers. Source: I'm a drummer, I suck at jazz, I suck at drums.

LOL so true

>rock drummers = the walking dead
>jazz drummers = the sopranos

More often than not, sure.

Rock is a wider, far more diverse genre and jazz is more open to improvisation. Both genres have incredible, amazing performers though, it's not a pissing contest. Only plebs argue over who or what's best.

Just look at this qt
youtube.com/watch?v=C1AtfdNKYug

>he thinks Sup Forums knows anything about music

Have you ever been there? it's all kpop and memerap. It's the most plebian board in all of Sup Forums.

Sup Forums doesn't know shit about anything, especially music.

And yes, jazz drummers are objectively superior.

I just watched one of his videos and he didn't do anything I couldn't have done albeit at a slower pace and I suck at drumming.

that would be Sup Forums

This is 100% true.

t. Jazz pianist

That's a lot of chords.

Technically there are more than 4000. Smash your face on a keyboard and you're still playing a chord

uuuu

youtube.com/watch?v=tMaWsXW4EsI
I'm not trying to prove my point, I just love this song.

Arguments about which genres or particular musicians have more technical skill is always the dumbest, most pointless shit.
More technical =/= Better music

No......not at all

Why make a statement about something you have zero knowledge of?

I'm a jazz pianist you moron. A chord is just 3 or more notes played simultaneously. They don't all have to be diatonic. Go back to fucking Sup Forums you weab

>Technically there are more than 4000
Technically there are more than 8000 variations possible.

I think so, but its more of a self jackoff type of thing, which is why jazz sucks so much

Found this online.

3 notes = 220
4 notes = 495
5 notes = 792
6 notes = 924
7 notes = 792
8 notes = 495
9 notes = 220
10 notes = 66
11 notes = 12
12 notes = 1

Total = 4017

>devin townsend
>some short of shitty metal band
>song called NAMASTE

It's really sickening how whites appropriate foreign cultures without even blinking an eye.

the question was not which genre is superior, but which drummer is superior, and if we're talking about the drummer we're probably talking about his skill on drums, and if we're talking about his skill on drums we are probably measuring technical ability. Keep in mind these results are based on the above stated assumptions.

>Some instruments only have the range to play 2 or 3 octaves, whereas a piano with its 88 keys can play 7 octaves -- 1200 chords in the lowest octave, 1200 chords in the next octave, 1200 chords in the next octave, and so on up to the top octave of the keyboard.

>So on the piano we could theoretically play those 1200 chords in all 7 octaves, giving us some 8400 possible chords. Of course, some would sound so low or so high that they wouldn't really be useable in a song. But still, they are possible.

Devin Townsend is a literally r*ddit hipster faggot.

Everyone ITT is retarded

First of all "Rock" is a retardedly broad grouping

Your average power-chord rock shlock would obviously be simpler than Jazz,

But anything highly technical like mathrock and neoclassical, or even some black-metal and screamo, is far more technical than any jazz.

I know that. I'm saying the entire discussion is pointless.

>thinking mathrock and neoclassical are anywhere near the complexity of neoretro jazz or jazz cubed

check out this pleb

>jazz guitar
>challenging
dude playing scales up and down

Watch for the changes and keep the cymbals splashy

t. non musician

>t. someone who didn't realize I just made up those jazz genres

just wow

>not realizing I didnt even read your whole comment and just got the jist of you saying any sort of jazz is the most complex music

check m8 atheist

>mathrock
*tips eboshi*

Changing the voicing of a chord doesn't change the chord itself.

There are hundreds of ways to play CMajor on a piano, but at the end of the day they're all still a C Major chord.

That isn't really the case though. By changing the inversion of the chord you can in a sense change its function, a second inversion major triad is going to have a different function as a root position. Also tone quality changes with different voicing and they may sound like different chords retrospectively.

It's true though, Kashikura Takashi is considered to be one of the best if not the best modern drummer at least from a technical sense.

I get what you're saying, but context is irrelevant. For the purpose of calculating how many chords are possible in (western) music, inversions and voicing doesn't matter.

Playing every single C, E, and G on the piano simultaneously is no different then playing a C triad in the top octave with the lowest G in the bass. They're both still C major. What comes before and after changes the context, yes, but not the fact that it's a Cmajor.

>im a jazz pianist
>chords dont need to sound good

>muh manime

>Jazz Drummers
>Superior
Keith Moon
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Phil Collins
Mitch Mitchell

Buddy Rich walks circles around all of those shiheads.

Hell, JoJo Mayer is miles better.

>Phil Collins
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Literally Who?

Yes.

Pic related from the movie itself

>I'm a pleb
>chords need to sound good

youtu.be/5MzuKKN1ZX8

>most plebeian board in all of Sup Forums
>NOT Sup Forums
The fucking delusion.

As a rock drummer, yes this is probably true in many cases.
Not as cut and dry though, meaning a jazz drummer couldn't just instantly play any metal piece just because. But jazz is often more intricate, so by that standard it's probably true.

Well looks like the number of chords doesn't make music better.

Jazz drummers have to work with odd tempos, tuplets, playing the melody, and improvisation on the regular in addition to using highly complicated techniques to stay relevant within a small group

Rock drummers usually work in 4/4 90% of the time and don't usually go beyond anything than the occasional triplet and odd accents here and there.

There are amazing rock drummers out there but more often than not they have a background in jazz or at least dabble in jazz music. Your more likely to find a quality drummer in a small no name jazz group than some garage rock band.

To sum it up; Jazz drummers play as a contributing musician to the composition, Rock drummers keep time and entertain with superficial drum solos.

nice cartoon music faggot

Exactly. You wouldn't know actually good musicians from the barely average rocker shite you enjoy.

I mean no they really don't
A chord is a chord whether it sounds good or not
That's just the definition
Whether or not it's usable is entirely beside the point

he's a jazz drummer originally though

On a technical level, maybe, but jazz is awful.

Have you thought about seeing a therapist?

>jazz is awful

Lmao get a load of this pleb

>Kashikura Takashi is considered to be one of the best if not the best modern drummer at least from a technical sense.

Source?

Except context is what names the chord. Also, just by looking at C, E, and G, It can easily be said that there are an obnoxiously large number of chords because a C major triad sounds the same as any number of chords. You could play it and depending on its situation it could be a Dbb major or an a7 with an omitted root or any other chords that share the same pitches. Enharmonic equivalents do not mean "same chord," at least in conventional tonal harmony

>I've listened to maybe 5 jazz albums tops

>Not liking Dizzy Gillespie

youtu.be/hF2ZYdNBQpc

>doesn't know who buddy rich is

My dad is a professional drummer and played in heavy metal groups in the 80s

His favorite drummer is buddy rich

Your dad must be a beast on the kit, then.

Generally jazz drummers are playing more complicated and/or counterintuitive rhythms that require more precise timing and also training to prevent natural instincts from leading the rhythm into something more natural and intuitive

That said there are definitely segments of rock music that also try to foray into the world of jazzy and otherwise "next level" rhythms, and there are definitely metal drummers out there doing stuff that's more difficult than the average jazz drummer by a mile

Whether jazz or rock or metal is the best genre of drumming and music is subjective but in terms of the skill involved, that's more objective

No user, he clearly said that he played in heavy metal groups.

>has never listened to 70's Genesis

He's absolutely incredible, and he says himself he doesn't hold a candle to buddy rich. He saw him live and even has a picture with him when he was like 14.

My father is a wizard behind the set, it's a fucking blur you can't even follow it. And he says that buddy rich is the best. If you ever saw him play and then proceed to gush about how much better buddy rich is, then you know buddy rich must have been a god.

kek

Awesome. Bit jelly.
>and he says himself he doesn't hold a candle to buddy rich
Frankly, no one does. That guy was a mutant. A huge prick too, but so are most geniuses.

>he hasn't ventured into the amazing genre that is jazz

Best decision I've ever done. I used to think it was pretentious shit in high school but now I love it.

I'm talking about how many combinations of notes are possible, regardless of context or enharmonic equivalents.

C major is technically the same thing as Em#5. But it's still one chord. If we named that combination of C E G (or B# E G or B# Fb G or C Fb Bbb) the colour purple, then there would be around 4000 "colours".

FYI I agree with you. I'm just thinking mathematically here, not musically.

Every single relevant rock drummer got educated through jazz drumming

That should tell you everything you wanna know

It's more so the fanbase who tend to make it pretentious.

This also applies to David Lynch, European food, and liquor.

Here's the pic.

People say I looked just like him when I was younger

Be better if you could link us to his music. But I understand if you won't.

Rock drummers make/contribute to music that is far more human and unpretentious than jizz drummers.

Fuck sorry didn't realize it was upside down

Maybe Jazz drummers are technically better but they just play what someone else wrote. Writing good songs > being a good technican.

it sounds like a lot, but they're mostly small derivations of the major/minors.

>Sup Forums
why not just ask tumblr? it's the same fucking thing at this point

By your logic professional actors suck because they don't write their own lines.

By that logic pop artists are better than rock musicians

Retard alert!

Ever seen a piece of drummer sheet music in a jazz band? It's empty. A big page of chord progressions with empty music bars, because jazz drummers are ALWAYS improvising

>pop music
>humanity

No time. Prepping the bull is a full time job.

He's relatively unknown outside of Japan, but I think NPR might have done a story on him recently? For all these top drummer lists it always comes down to popularity and moderate skill and Takashi is pretty much unknown.

Try asking this same question on 2ch though and I'll bet you he tops the list.

Pop music is about the most human you can get...

Yes, but the movie is still retarded.

it's a fun flick bro

I know who Phil Collins is, I was laughing at you listing him as one of the best things rock has to offer.

>synthesized sounds and manufactured personalities
>human

Jamming isn't the same as writing songs. Some fucking Oasis song will be remembered in 1000 years by the bards of the post apocalypse and all the Jazz will be forgotten.

I certainly wouldn't give actors credit for their lines if they just read them from a paper.

Was this supposed to be a drama?

I thought it was a comedy with all the shit JK Simmons was doing and the retarded decisions Miles Teller would do.

Technical death metal is superior to jazz in terms of complexity.