What album got you into jazz?

For me it was very recently with pic related (and thanks to Sup Forums).

It's not the first jazz record I've ever heard, but this is the first that really blew me away. I'm relatively new to the genre, so maybe it gets even better after this but for now I think this is amazing.

What album(s) got you into jazz Sup Forums?

Bill Evans Complete Live at the Village Vanguard

None of the other "classics" I listened to made sense until I heard Bill Evans and then went back and listened to swing, bebop, hard bop, etc.

The first album I heard that I like that was jazz was Kind of Blue. Then the album that kinda got me to check it out more, outside of Bitches Brew, was and A Love Supreme

But I have been listening more and more to jazz over the years so I say one particular album really.

Miles Ahead got me into jazz.

But a little unrelated question.
How do I distinguish generic jazz from unique jazz?

I've only heard two other jazz albums but this is the greatest jazz album of all time d e s u

Pic Related

That is a great record

Why does that matter? Unique =/= good

It matters to me.
I'm also not implying unique means good.

desu any jazz player who uses more than 4 notes in a solo is a tasteless wanker for complexist fags.

If you really want to distinguish what's generic from what's original in a particular genre, just listen to more of it. Is there an other way I'm not seeing ?

You're probably right.
I'm asking as an average jazz listener.

this should have gotten quints. The more you delve into a genre the more you pick up on what's generic and what's good. Obviously personal taste comes in, but you just gotta do the research yourself to "get it"

John Zorn's Naked City.

Kind of Blue and The Epic

First album I heard was Kind of Blue, but I didn't really appreciate it. A couplke yours later, at John Riley's recommendation, I checked out Max Roach's Discography; the album that really got me into jazz was either Jazz at Massey Hall, or Clifford Brown and Max Roach at Basin Street.

That's why I exclusively listen to Kamasi Washington.

Oscar Pettiford's stuff, surprisingly.

Pharoah Sanders - Village of the Pharoahs

The first track is still one of the most unique, brilliant pieces i've heard in all of jazz

Jazz Impressions of Japan

Toki's Theme

Alone in San Francisco