What are the signs of schizophrenia? Do you have it? What's it like?

What are the signs of schizophrenia? Do you have it? What's it like?

Long period of dysthymia and anxiety. The delusions came first. Then the hallucinations. Since then it's been 7 years of misery.

What sort of delusions?

I thought girls were releasing pheromones around me. I can convinced I remembered my parents having sex when I was in the womb. I thought I was a better guitar player than Jimi Hendrix. I thought my dad was cheating on my mom with his receptinist. I thought all hairs were tiny communication points that communicated with other hair. I thought I discovered the theory of everything and was writing corollaries to Einstein's theory of relativity. I thought I was ambidextrous. I thought I could harness the power of planets in outer space.

*I came coinvinced. I thought I could tell what sounds people most liked to hear based on the shape of their ears. I thought I woke up during a recent surgery and my parents were covering up for the doctors.

my girlfriend has schizophrenia and doesnt really want medication, and i wont tell her to take them because i feel its not my place and her decision, but i really just want to support her. but obviously i have no idea what shes going through but i really just want to support her. any advice?

Ever seen Donnie Darko? Give her her meds

sounds like you had some greatness delusions. What are you taking? Did it improve (you have self-criticism so in some way it had to improve)? Did you had alucinations or just delusions? also: How old were you when it began and how old are you now?

she really needs to be on medication. which meds exactly is between her and her doc and it often takes years to get the right regimen. so start now.

different doctors have diagnosed me with schizophrenia, bipolar I, and schizoaffective because of the grandiosity. I had olafactory hallucinations, auditory hallucinations, and visual hallucinations I'm not comfortable getting into. I now take seroquel, lamotrigine, lithium, cymbalta, and propranolol. Tried 4 different anti-psychotics and seroquel has been excellent for me.

Well you should talk with her family. Its hard to give advice over the web without knowing the full story, but in general, she should be taking her meds. You should be specially attentive when the alucinations/delusions go away (with meds), because in that period many people commit suicide when they fall into the realization that they really have a desease

Also have had OCD since age 12 and that was a huge problem for me even after the delusions and hallucinations subsided.

Good for you mate, hope you keep going strong

It's hard to pinpoint what are the signs of schizophrenian because it comes in so many different forms, but I would say that delusional ideas and hallucinations (auditory are the most common but could be visual, or any other sense) are some common symptoms

her family doesn't know aside from her brother, who i don't speak with much at all. and she knows she has schizophrenia and manages it very well considering how much she deals with but i know she hears voices almost all the time and almost daily hallucinations

she doesn't already have meds, just won't go to a doctor to get them

does she go to appointments? like someone here said, it can take a long time to adjust the medication and it sometimes require a bit of trial and error. Ideal would be to discuss that with her and you both with her psychiatrist

no she doesn't have any appointments, therapists or psychiatrists. she was on meds before and said that they didnt help and made her feel like a zombie. she lost a whole year of memory while she was on them as well, so i know shes hesitant to try again

10 months ago i low level formated my HDD and microwaved my phone because I thought i was getting spied, then i yelled at my boss and blamed my syrian co worker for everything.

they both are really nice guys, but i lost my job anyways, lol

Its common that they have side-effects and lethargy can be one of them, but she should try other medications and discuss those side effects with her psychiatrist. I'm really sorry I can't say something like "Just do 10 push-ups before going to bed and it will go away". Schizo is a very serious disease and unfortunately there are no easy fixes.

Fucking shit. I already feel sick

you've been to a psychiatrist? Paranoid delusions can be a sign of schizophrenia, but it can also be a just a paranoid state. Did you consume any drugs at the time? How long did it last and how old were you?

also, maybe you want to take a look into ketogenic diet. I am not saying it will cure it but it doens0t hurt to try I guess

Oh, you fucking know when you have it, bud.

I'm good now, very stable. But looking back, the scariest thing about it wasn't the content of the delusions. Scariest part was how convinced I was that they were real.

I get super paranoid, schizophrenia style with crazy thoughs when I get high on weed, Im kind of wondering if its not just repressed stuff I think but less intence during my "normal" state

Did you mean delusions of grandeur?

Ever have any seizures?

not really

don't do weed. There is some evidence that marijuana can trigger schizo in susceptible people. High doses can cause paranoia without any underlying disease, but you should weight the risk. I don't think it's worth it so I don't smoke

yup, not native english speaker, so I don't know the correct medical terms

I thought i was going to be schizophrenic at one point. I had a lot of anxiety in those days and sometimes it would take me to places that in retrospect seemed delusional. There were also a few incidents where i saw lights that others did not and movements too. Thankfully that was a few years ago and my life has become less stressful in the interim. I havent experienced anything like that since and I pray to God I don't.

I haven't but I've been on some type of anti-seizure medication for a long time. First was valproic acid, now it's lamotrigine.

never, i'm even afraid to confess this and getting blacklisted

no drugs, just a lot of stress

it lasted for about 6 days, then i realized the nonsense.

27yrs

Yup, people often deny that their delusions have no foundations, and often believe they are god, that they are being spied by Martians and so on. It is not just an idea that occurs, but an alteration of the thought process where people really believe those kind of ideas

in my opinion, when ur really mentally ill it affects a part of the brain which decides what is real and what is not. that's why schiozos can be confronted with how illogical their beliefs are but they continue to believe them. they cant control how the brain perceives what is real and what is not.

if you believe in your delusions then it might be schizophrenia, seriously, their imagination is their reality.

also, there is a reason that the meds used to treat schizophrenia deal with blocking dopamine receptors or some shit, dopamine can literally rot the fucking mind in my opinion if there is an overload just like with anything else i guess.

Be careful with medications. i've always been a functional skitzo and avoided any diagnosis like hell. When you go down that road you end up losing things in society you can never have back. i don't think i have to tell you that though.

I was put on what a thought to be a mundane medicine that was actaully blacklisted and causes neurological damage. The gates have come crashing down ever since. I'm sure you're parinioa keeps you scrupulous of what doctors give and do to you... but the types of medicines they have you on to calm your mind and ease tension can become the end of everything very easily. Do what you can to heal yourself. Remember that so long as you're still alive you can be whole.

That sounds like just a simple illusion. It is often caused by stress, lack of sleep, tiredness, etc. One example would be to be walking in a dark corridor and a jacket seems like a ghost, but after a close inspection you realize what it is.

It could also be an aura, which can happen in the previous cases, or with headaches, and is a distortion of the visual field, often with geometrical shapes

>signs of schizophrenia
Not knowing you have it

seems like a simple paranoid episode. Schizo is commonly more prolonged in time and within 10 months you would probably have had more episodes.

Maybe you should talk to a psychiatrist just in case, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it ever happens please do

Also, doctors (at least where I live) are required to keep their interactions with patients a secret. So don't be afraid to talk bro

if there isn't still a failsafe in the back of your mind screaming distantly that you're not okay... you've probably already eaten someone. Those crazy killers are not posting on Sup Forums thinking everything's alright with them. Crazy people know they're crazy. you're thinking of genetically, chemically, or physically lobotomized people

we don't really know what causes it. The impaired functions are so "high-level" that we cannot pinpoint a specific cause yet. (unlike in a stoke where you can know that a certain part of the cortex controls a certain area)

I had this trip one day, I was at a friends house and we decided to smoke with his gf and watch harold and kumar. So everything went fine for a while
His gf needed to go to the bathroom, after a littlebit my friend just say "I wonder what shes doing shes been there for a while" and it just triggered everything.
I was trying to listen carefully to the bathroom, I though I could hear her puke, I I though she might be pregnant and hiding it all along.
I then heard footstep upstair, as if someone was really trying to make ur hear that he was angry with heavy steps.
I though his asian dad was mad, cause he knew his gf was pregnant, and in his culture it could have been really bad because it could put a halt into my friends college degree.
I then needed to drink some water, By the stairs I spotted a circular with house adds.
Then it hit me, his father knew all along, and this has been a underlying issue for a while since his parents were often fighting. He was pressuring his son to leave the house if he wanted the kid.
I had to take a break in the bathroom for a littlebit until all these crazy thought stopped.
In the morning I saw the circular was a piece of paper by the aquarium that he was using as a spoon to feed the fish.

Can you go more into what being blacklisted means? I've recently been in the psych ward for the 3rd time, and the people at my psychiatrist's office suggested I apply for disability. Does this mean i can't get a job anymore? (what about a job with state/federal institutions?). I did get a letter from the police saying I can't buy a handgun or something like that...

I have schizophrenia and at times it amounted to schizoaffective. The voices told me they come from Satan, the devourer and my eyelids have been under possession for nearly a year now. I've been told to kill myself multiple times but they mainly ask: "Do you love the mother?" or "What do you want?"

That is not all that uncommon with marijuana. It can trigger some paranoid episodes, but it doesn't sound like schizo at all. I would avoid weed if I were you, but that is just my opinion, as I don't think it is worth the risk.

thanks user, that's one less problem, i guess

please, accept this modest picture as a gift

God I'd love to fuck her right in the ass..

sounds cool tbh

It has been wild, that's for sure. One time I think I saw through my eyelids with them shut.

Its kind of fun when it happens tho, Its a fucked up experienced when the thoughts really gets intence. Its also rather funny to think about the episodes the next day.

Delusions and hallucinations. I've been trying to maintain my logical mind and social behaviors but it's weird how a lot of problems are sensual, like rushing water in the shower will sound like multiple people whispering to me, how sometimes I'll catch myself genuinely feeling others can read my mind. Sometimes if my blood pressure is low I notice that sitting up or down too fast will make me see glitter or even drops of fire in the air. I have my spouse to help with the depression side of it but after dealing with it for so long it's easier to manage. Specifically I have schizoaffective disorder.

Go take some LSD. Keep doing that for about a week. Similar effects.

Alternatively just stay awake for four days or more. Use meth to stay awake.

calm down, i'm not sure about nothing.
also, you live in a first world country, your rights are granted

Mfw my first visit to a psych (which i got too anxious to go back to) diagnosed dysthymia and gave me antidepressants i never took. I can remember since near puberty ages i thought i wouldnt be able to cut it in school because there's too much work i deem pointless and dont do resulting in failed classes. I had told myself for years if i cant handle a normal job it would be impossible for me to live a normal life in western society. I couldn't handle the everpresent demands of the manager at my first job who would also change my schedule without letting me know while being three buses away from work, so i quit after a month. I instantly fell into a deeper depression which started by a four year breakup coupled with failing classes as the break up happened during semester. Im still unsure of what to do, the only person who knows i went to get help for a bit is my mom and i downplayed it. Im scared to let anyone know what goes on in my thoughts in fear of institutionalization, even if it might be minor. I dont validate my problems to myself except here, anonymously. I feel like im just waiting for something else to send me back to suicidal thoughts and want meds for anxiety mainly but i have no job and i dont know my insurance situation. What do Sup Forums?

Bonus points : my dad and two uncles have developed psychosis and nearly all of them substance abuse at some point/ lifelong for my dad

You know I'm real

>RIGHT IN THE ASS

Maybe talk to your mom, explain her that there are things that are not going well in your life and that you need to go to the psychiatry to get better.

Explain to the psychiatry what you are felling without fear of being descriminated, doctors are required to keep secret their interactions with patients. If you are prescribed drugs, do them as instructed, and if you have any undesired side effects tell your doctor.

She will murder you someday.

that actually sounds better than being in a sober state. scary but fun

"Everyone" would think I was schizo because of my religious experiences but I'm the most sane and healthy person I know. My experiences were out there, but others have had similar. I'm well adjusted in life and have a successful home life. I've read so much about this disorder, trying to be fair to the possibility that I had it. It's an interesting disease, because it seems to affect not just thoughts but thought processes.

I wish all of you who suffer good times despite the bad.

Generally when someone begins experiences delusional thinking and also starts dressing in womens clothing and watches anime this is often diagnosed as schizophrenia