Is Mark Knopfler the most underrated guitarist of classic rock?

Is Mark Knopfler the most underrated guitarist of classic rock?

Protip: The answer is yes.

who

idk he looks like he plays tennis or some shit

No it's Andy Latimer

Maybe, but Rory Gallagher is also up there.

the fuck is he

He's in a band called sultans of swing, he knows all the chords.

"Dire Straits is the most boring band imaginable."

- Robert Smith

kek

Allow me to introduce you all to the most patrician album of all times, music's logical conclusion

In what world is he not celebrated?

Appliance sections of stores
Sup Forums

Robert fripp

Nobody in this thread knows who he is.

>Mark Knopfler
>Underrated

no, its my dad
he can even play smoke in the water

Lol, thought that was Bush for a minute.

This
I love it when these boring fags that know literally nothing about writing or playing music have the gall to call out actually talented artists just for being competent (see also: Steely Dan, Toto)
lol wut

That's that black sabbath song right?

Mark (((Knopfler)))

its by the holland oaths iirc

Really makes me wonder who's jewing who.

>user (((ymoose)))

that nigga don't even solo, wtf

kek

What the fuck? Is this accurate?

swang man 3000

He's the greatest guitarist of all time. Ain't no one can play like him.

Why does the money for nothing riff is different in the first seconds?

He was a big session musician that worked with tons of famous people, so he probably made a lot from that.

steve lukather nigga

bump

Brothers in Arms [Warner Bros., 1985]

"Money for Nothing" is a catchy sumbitch, no getting around it, and the first side moves with simple generosity, not a virtue one associates with this studio guitarist's ego trip. But it's too late for the old bluesboy to suck us into his ruminations of the perfidy of woman and the futility of political struggle, and "Money for Nothing" is also a benchmark of pop hypocrisy. We know Mark Knopfler's working-class antihero is a thicky because he talks like Randy Newman and uses the same word for homosexual that old bluesboys use, a word Knopfler has somehow gotten on the radio with no static from the PMRC. I mean, why not "little nigger with the spitcurl" instead of "little faggot with the earring," Mark? And while we're at it, how the hell did you end up on MTV? By spelling its name right? B-

>we got to put faggots in the ovens
>we got to show it on tv
What did he mean by this?

>"little nigger with the spitcurl"
I assume it's because niggers weren't on MTV at that time.

lol, best review of his i've read.

>session work
>make you rich

You make money from songwriting
session work just pays for your time like any other job, and you work for far less time.

Wait, I just looked this up and it's real. Does this dumbass realize that a lot of lyrics in the song are quotes from a department store worker that Knopfler overhear?. The "that little faggot" comments were about members of Motley Crue that the worker made when a music video played on a display tv. Did Christgau not look into the record at all?

Underrated.

>The "that little faggot" comments were about members of Motley Crue that the worker made when a music video played on a display tv
Was this common knowledge at the time of the records release?
You have the internet and 30 years of knopfler reminiscing in interviews.
Christgau didn't.

This is an 18+ board

He could have used context clues to come to the conclusion that it was about a blue collar worker talking about a glam band. What did he think it was about?

You never heard Les Boys--Mark Knopfler had done anti-gay songs before and that's probably what Christgau assumed he was getting at here.

And he produced a Bob Dylan album.

There's nothing anti gay about les boys. It was impartial retelling of things the band had seen in Germany.

Michael Jackson and Prince?

>He could have used context clues to come to the conclusion that it was about a blue collar worker talking about a glam band.
He did.
>We know Mark Knopfler's working-class antihero is a thicky because he talks like Randy Newman and uses the same word for homosexual that old bluesboys use

>Michael Jackson and Prince
>black

Was he butthurt that that were picking on glam or because he said faggot?

Since Christgau isn't generally a fan of glam metal...

He just likes shitting on everything because he thinks it makes him seem smart.
It's how P4k get popular too.

Only white people watched them on Mtv though. Blacks, although often stole tv's from whites, couldn't afford cable for it.

New York Dolls is his favorite band though.

Wasn't there a big brouhaha about how MTV would not play Rick James because "our target audience does not go for his music"?

Christgau noted in one of his Rick James reviews that his inability to conquer MTV didn't make sense. It seems he didn't know that MTV refused to play him.

There was no Internet back then. How the fuck was he supposed to know?