I'm buying a used car or SUV soon, but it's been years since I bought one and I haven't kept up on the newest models...

I'm buying a used car or SUV soon, but it's been years since I bought one and I haven't kept up on the newest models. Any car people have advice?

Requirements:
>2015 or later
>4 doors
>Decent cargo space (at least enough for a couple of suitcases or weekly groceries)
>Fun to drive. I can drive stick, but....
>1-hour commute each way, part backroad part heavy traffic. Stick might not be good for the heavy traffic.
>Budget $40,000 or so

I'm thinking about the Alfa Romeo Giulia, pic related, but open to other suggestions. Help me Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QYV3yWshHLI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Alpha's have a horrible reliability record.

Sounds like you might be looking for a WRX hatchback or a Golf GTI.

Yeah, I've heard that about the Alfas. I would worry about that. The newer models have really good reviews though.

I've thought about the WRX. I used to drive a 2001 WRX, many years ago. I think I'm looking for something just a step up in luxury, though.

The GTI is too small for me, but it is definitely fun to drive. Thanks user.

2018 honda civic type r

>306 horse
>FWD (all season driving) great handling
>good on gas+reliable
>employs actual downforce
>hatchback/4doors/decent cargo space

Honda is the godfather of sporty hatchbacks. without the risks honda took in the 90s you would not have the suburu STI or WRX, the ford focus ST, the volkswagon GTI, etc etc. Honda has never made a type R for american markets ever, and they likely never will again, so now is your chance.

faggots will tell you FWD is gay and it's ugly, but they are retarded and do not know what quality is or or where it counts.

championship white or ur a fgt

I drive a Honda now (Accord). The Civic definitely catches my eye, especially with the new aggressive styling. I'll go test drive one of these, thanks bro.

>championship white or ur a fgt
Agree

>>/o/ would be a better place to ask the question. Its a board dedicated to cars

>FWD (all season driving)
Are you retarded?
AWD or 4x4 for all season.
FWD for summer.

But I agree championship white is a good call though.

Audi A6.
You get 333hp out of a Supercharged V6, plus all the luxury that you could ever want.
It's a no brainer, Sup Forumsroski.
If you want something faster but still in price range, go S4. It's a bit smaller, but goddamn does that fucker move.
Oh yeah, and it's got Quattro. Bitches love quattro.

never get a 2013 or newer Ford Escape
that was maybe the worst buy of my life
try a newish Mazda 6

As a Mazda/Subaru salesman I highly encourage leasing. Too many benefits in a 3 year span as opposed to financing. WRX's lease great cause they hold their value like most subbie's. STI's don't. If you are set on pre-owned I'd do the Carmax warranty route personally... Bumper to bumper coverage towards something German could supply peace of mind.

You could get a Chevrolet SS. Has about 400hp~ and not many people have them.

+1 on that. Never buy a ford.

Hadn't even thought of that. Thanks user

I like leasing, but I can't; I put way too many miles on my car.

Chevy or Tacoma. Don't get suv.
Maybe this
My fav car actually there is also some 69s. I like older cars if I cared about muscle.

What about hybrids or electrics? One almost caused an accident today. I was stuck in the mid lane. The bat died.

you do realize FWD was created specifically for winter conditions right? AWD and 4x4 exist for trucks and vehicles to accommodate towing capability. the only reason you see it in most modern sporty cars is because it allows for controlled oversteer and was necessary for 90s rally. For everyday road use? sure, but it's unnecessary weight at that point.

2018 Audi a5 sport back is a pretty good bet. Decent cargo space and great to drive also if you live in the mountains 4wd is a must

Glad to help. I currently own a 2015 Chrysler 300S. Love the fuck out of it, but I'm gonna be going to an A6 next.

I'm with either one of these two anons
And
If you live in a place where snow isn't an issue, get the Honda. Otherwise the Audi is the superior choice. Dat AWD can do wonders.

audis are trash. they break down like crazy. every mechanic makes fun of audi owners for buying audis. over engineered unreliable generic shit. all of their cars look and feel exactly the same, especially on the inside.

Look into a used BMW 335i. Gt or sedan is more personal preferance. 300 horsepower, tunable, zf automatic 8 speed (lightning quick shifts, the reason BMW is getting rid of the dct) and when you dont want it to be a race car, it has the ability to get fairly good gas mileage. It will set you back about $30,000 on the used market

>BMW faggot

Didn't see that but yeah Audi's are always a safe bet, my dad almost always gets an Audi and he can afford almost any car.

FWDs don't do good in Canadian winters. Besides, where's the fun driving a FWD on snow? They're meant for tracks, that insane stability and low weight makes it a much more suited track weapon that a snow car.

Everyone knows AWD >RWD > FWD in the snow

Acura MDX type SH-awd. Out the door within budget and super fast (turbo), awd and great handling. Plus creature comforts are A+

youtube.com/watch?v=QYV3yWshHLI
you won't regret it, here is a video of it slaying the ring.

Holy shit! The Accord is RWD now?! When did this happen? 6cyl turbo v-tec with 410bhp?

Go with this!

Why would you want to increase downforce on the back of a FWD car?

Idiot.

I'm gonna go jack it and when I get back you tell me why someone would want that.

I'm in the same situation, looking to upgrade with a similar budget.
I'm currently on GTI 2013 and I looked at:
1. AMG CLA ~ 42-47k --> not sure about maintenance $$$

2. Golf R ~ 40k -> I had extended warranty for GTI, it did come really handy, happy with VW. Problem is there's really few of these golf R

3. BMW M2 --> ~42k, nice but a little tiny

4. BMW 340i -> seems fun, not sure about maintenance and gas mileage (there is still some reasonable number even in these sportcar)

5. Audi S3 --> seems interesting but it's also an Audi. Coming from EU, Audi is more of a gipsy/old people car..

6. Kia Stinger -> thought about it. I'll give you that. But given it's a (mechanically inferior) kia, I feel the price should be below 20k.

7. Abarth 500 -> fun and cheap but way too small

Lexus/Acura were beyond my price point for the sport version, even though some lexus are neat!

First of all nobody gives a fuck about Canadian anything so fuck right off back to maple syrup land. This information is based on the idea that OP won't be traveling through 6 feet of snow on a daily basis. If that was the case he would not be suggesting he wants a sporty car in his OP.

now is the point where you become a total pleb. RWD is the superior track choice see every single race car ever built for asphalt track, the reason for this is it's superior turning radius, naturally higher torque capabilities and controlled oversteer. AWD is for rally, snow, towing, and offroad, to imply AWD is the best for summer is pants on head retarded. it is thrown in sports cars like the GTR is to have better launch times. that's it. FWD was created for the sole purpose of being able to handle in the snow because all of the weight is in the front and it is harder to spin a car out if it is being pulled and not pushed. Honda just happens to make the best FWD cars and have been doing exactly that for decades. they also get some of the most HP per liter of any car and invented variable valve timing electronic lift control or VTEC, which is a fucking genius technology to say the least. you don't know shit

t. /o/tist

dude no thats a civic in FWD. and it's whooping ass

downforce is downforce, I don't even understand what you are implying. you add nothing and call me idiot? fuck you retarded sourgrapes nigger. downforce is applied to the front AND back of most sports cars through the shapes and diffusers mounted on the front and rear bumpers and sideskirts. downforce is important in any configuration with a sports car because it increases stability at high speeds and corners and also keeps the car from sliding off the track at every high speed turn. without downforce, the sports car would be useless

to use Jeremy Clarkson espression "they overdesigned" that car

All german cars a trash. the only one that i can say is good is porsche and fuck them because they are the ooposite of practical
>time to do a tune up by removing the engine from the bottom of the car

As a eurofag I can confirm that alfas are garbage. The last two generations are passable, but personally I wouldn't touch anything that's been made by a fiat with a stick let alone trust it with my life.
OP didn't mention where he's from, but if you're from the EU look into the new Skoda Superb sport. Looks classy, doesn't break the bank to much and basically performs like a passat CC but without the boredom... If not stick to the subaru or golf user suggest. Look at the Mazda 6, shit's tight!

This guy is a mainstream shill. Alfa Romeo were poor at quality until the 159 that was designed to do battle with the BMW 3 Series. Since then their reputation has been comparable to any German brand.

> hurr it's fiat must be shit
> I live in 1986

if you know anything about cars you know jeremy clarkson likes driving them and really nothing else. he's a fucking dunce that can't into engineering and praises certain cars because they are European while shitting on everything else because Europeans have a superiority complex. judging cars on appearance alone is like wearing a neon sign on your head the says "I have teenage opinions"

Subaru Forester touring 2.0.

I agree with this user.
I would, however, make an exception for the Giulia Quadrifoglio, since it was designed in collaboration with Ferrari, mounts (basically) the same engine of a Ferrari California, Brembo brakes etc but with a much cheaper cost..

automatic=training wheels

Seriously? No one is gonna say it? CHEVY SS!
Bangin 6.2L V8, sleeper, RWD, 415hp, manual or auto, and these bad boys are selling WAY under MSRP. OP I promise you can get an amazing deal on these.

It can be very luxurious when you want and sporty when you want. Comes fully loaded standard with all kinds of safety features and creature comforts.

Don't believe me? Look up Doug Demuro's video about it on youtube

Speaking of Euro cars, does anybody got an opinion on the BMW 7 series?

Let us be realistic, the Type R and Focus RS are designed to be appealing for a younger audience. The "appeal" they give is considerably different from, let's say, a BMW M series, AMG or Audi S/RS series . These are a lot more elegant in their animal performance.

The chevy ss is fucking disgusting

but.. it's a Chevrolet..

Are you some euro-fag master race or something

they sell under MSRP because chevy is desperately trying to get rid of them because they are trash. doug demuro is a great advertiser and even i like his videos but he does not daily drive the cars he reviews, he points out the neat gimmicky shit and moves on to another. chevy SS was made for boomer appeal who live in flroida, why do you think its called the SS even though SS was a package for better cars and never a car on its own? and RWD is unpractical if you live anywhere above north carolina

Best part: it's not a Ford

They also make a nice electric car, Volt!
These cars will never become successful, mainly because they carry the Chevy brand. They should have created a new brand and "cut ties" with cheverolet history of very unreliable low performance cars.
As of now, I believe Chevrolet should pay people to drive Chevys.

s4, c class, accord, optima, preowned certified of course, don't be stupid to buy it brand new

that's also the only good part.

They're selling low cause they're trying to cut their losses from importing an Australian car. The name is dumb yeah. It didnt help that there was no marketing effort for the car. I bet 3/4 fags here never heard of it

>chevrolet

Fuck electric cars (minus Teslas, all hail Elon Musk). They could've used Pontiac as their side brand to do different stuff but they fucked that up bad

Volvo V60R

Are you euro fags or do you just hate chevy?

>elegant
there's that word that only europeans use again

the "elegance" you are driveling on about is the result of a lifetime of exposure to advertising to make you think their design is "elegant" because "le german engineering". it's a fucking meme and nothing more. and modern german cars are about as far away from animalistic as you can possibly get, they are way to big, have way too many electronics controlling way to much, and frankly have retarded configurations and have completely strayed away from their core concept all in the name of luxoshit. (btw every bmw is identical on the inside, just like audi) for fucks sake BMW makes a v10 that only pushes 445 HP (for you kids out there, that is laughably low for ten fucking cylinders and is actually pathetic) BMW fanboys need to be gassed. in fact all german car fanboys need to be castrated so they don't ever reproduce and further infect the human genepool with their faggotry.

cheby is shit friend, they are not at all what they used to be. they use extremely basic design configurations to pump out a corvette every year (which admittedly is good) and then crap out on the rest of their cars. their interior modelign is lazy and generic, and the SS is an overweight, impractical, piece of trash. you are better off geting an accord sport

I had one for a few months, a Malibu, and it was ok but I wouldn't go back ever. its build quality is shit, interior and exterior, that's why they are cheap compared to other cars in the same class. Ford got better, heck even Kia started to build solid cars since 2009, but Chevy has constantly deliver shit, like the cobalt, cruze , sonic, etc

these are actually quite awesome, my only gripe is that volvo maintenance is fucking impossible

The cobalt, cruze, and sonic are all shit cars to begin with. I'm not talking about grandma cars to get groceries with. I mean OP has a budget of 40k, you can get some pretty quick and nice shit with that.

Yeah the interior on GM cars is not good. SS isn't terribly overweight considering it's a four door loaded with a bunch of tech and luxury items plus a big fuckin V8. Plus it's only impractical if you're a faggot that can't drive in the winter and/or afford winter tires

Accord sport? Yeah I'm fairly impressed with it, but it's BORING. SS 6.2L V8, enough said

>"hey girls, wana ride in my SS?"
>"your what?" *laughs and points*

>"hey STI guy, nice vape haha fagit, wana race?"
>*tail lights fade away*

>"h-hey Mercedes guy, i-i have a nice car too!"
>"ya uh.. that's a real nice chev- BAHAHA"

>"MY CAR IS LOUD HAHA V8 PUSSIES"
>"no, don't call the police, I feel bad for him"

>"h-hey it's me again, I'll have the usual. yea $60 on pump 5"
>"weren't you here yesterday?

I have a BMW e61 523 from 2007.

Got the M-performance packages so lots of equipment and details while also being really cheap to buy and fun to drive.

>"hey you wana come to the bar?"
>"ya there's a little snow on the ground so lemme just put 15 bags of concrete mix in my trunk because funny enough winter tires don't do shit for RWD, be there in 2 hours, see you soon"

you know why it was cheap? because BMW depreciates in value more than any other car. hows that intensive forearm workout going? what do you call it? steering?

1. Tell me girl is gonna laugh at a screaming LS3?
2. From a dig, no contest for the STI. But from a roll race, might be close. But I'm not saying the SS is the fastest car in the thread. For OP's sake the SS wins. 4 door and WAY cheaper insurance for a "family sedan" versus a car people love to mod and wreck/break
3. Are Mercedes nicer? Yeah. Nicer in this price range with all the same options? No. Plus MAINTENANCE. Upkeep on an SS versus Mercedes? No contest
4. Who gives a fuck what normal people think? It's a car guy thing. Want it loud? get an exhaust. Quiet? keep it stock
5. Smiles per gallon > Miles per gallon. Got me there though. 14 city 22 highway isnt good

6. Now you went full retard. Go look at videos of AWD cars on all season tires versus RWD cars on winter tires. The rest of your shit at least made some sense, but this is just dumb af

3 options, you're delusional, jealous or you have only driven some older shit BMW.

My E61 is like driving a cloud, never driven such a smooth car. When I change to one of the family members 2 new Volvos or Audi I can really feel a difference.

Cali-fag here.
Drove a bunch of different cars for work (as in test driving cars)...
Ford, Chevy, Chrysler all ranked pretty bad for one reason or another (performance, efficiency, reliability... )
Latest Cadillac is an improvement.

I do like Cadillacs. So did like and not like about the SS?

I'm positive Jaguar and Ranger Rover depreciate worse than any other car.

a BMW with 100k mi. is still north of $10,000 no matter which series.

M cars hold their value REALLY well...

I have an 07 335i with well over 120k mi. and it's still a great car given its age. BMW is very well made. Just like with any car, eventually you'll need to repair things.

Some M cars even appreciate
>E36 M3

>Camaro 3.6liter engine, V6 DI, 335HP

>BMW M4 3liter engine, inline 6 cylinders, 425HP

BMW has 27% more HP using 16% smaller engine.. american car companies still haven't learnt how to make decent engines apparently..

Go to /o/ you'll get better advice there

There's nothing wrong with Alfa, most of the 'bad' quality cars are from before 1990. I've had 2 156s a 147 and a 159 myself. No big strange problems, just normal maintenance. The new ones are probably from the same factory as a lot of other brands, as is normal these days. So wouldn't worry too much about the quality. And it's a fucking beautiful car mate

Are you a fucking retard? The camaro V6 is naturally aspirated and the BMW M4's V6 is twin turbo charged. Turbo's are meant to create more power from smaller displacement engines you fucking retard. Twin turbo a camaro V6 and tell me how much more power it makes.

Plus how the fuck can you compare these two cars? COMPLETELY different price ranges! The V6 camaro is barely $27k and the M4 is $65k-$75k. You're so ignorant it makes me sick

performance and driving experience are really amazing. They outdid themselves.
Driving quality, safety, braking is also really impressive (compared to their previous models).

It's really nice and fun to drive, but realistically we averaged 16mpg which might be impractical to most. They compensate by putting a 19 gal tank.

We have no data on maintenance costs, but my guess is high.

Idk i'd argue that maintenance wouldn't be bad. I mean it's an LS3, they're fucking tanks. Just as long as you don't fuck up your diff and tranny, you'll be fine.

So really the only downside is the fuel efficiency?

you are literally such a dumb retard that I refuse to waste time replying anymore. every single response was damage control or flat out wrong.

>b-but a car with snow tires is better than a car with all season!

enjoy the mcdonalds of sports sedans, I'm going to sleep

One of my jobs is valet, I have extensive driving experience with every BMW (old, new, factory fresh) except the i8. I can assure you, you can lie to yourself all you want, but I know for a fact your car is shit. utter garbage. waste of money. cock sucking motherfucking good for nothing piece of fucking shit. remember this thread when your power steering fails again.

ask me how I know you wasted 10k on a bmw with high mileage. How many fights with your wife do you have a week over it?

>considering an SUV
>"fun to drive but I can't drive stick"

Just buy a fucking Camry and stop pretending you're into cars, faggot