I'm trying to understand the 4D tesseract...

I'm trying to understand the 4D tesseract. Am I correct in saying those "extra faces" beyond a 3D cube are actually the inside of the cube? So like you're seeing the inside and the outside at the same time?

So if I put a sphere in the center of the cube, I wouldn't be able to see it in the normal cube part, but I would see the insides of large spheres inside those extra parts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j-ixGKZlLVc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A 4D tesseract is dependent on a 4th dimension of space that we don't perceive. The gif is just a 3 dimensional representation of that, which doesn't exactly work. There's really no accurate way to visualize a tesseract

uh maaan so what is it I'm missing that makes other people go "woah dude"?

No, you're still thinking about the 2d representation of the 3d representation of the 4d cube as a 3d object.

4d is just the idea that you can add another another right angle to the to the 3 dimensions that we have in out universe. Like, you can't imagine it, but it exists mathematically.

youtu.be/j-ixGKZlLVc

That may help.

>So I was trying to prove Fermat's Last Theorem on a cocktail napkin and I keep getting stuck.

I mean no matter where you are in space, there is always another direction of space and dimension that you can't perceive at a right angle to you at all times. We are technically fifth dimensional beings that perceive a 4 dimensional progression of time in a 3 dimensional context.

It exists more than just mathematically. They recently did an experiment using some kinda quantum physics shit that measured 4th dimensional shadows. Quantum Hall Effect of some shit, idk im high

god damn it, it drives me crazy that I can't visualize this. I want to understand it.

In theory, a 4 dimensional object could leave a 3 dimensional "shadow".
In essence, the 3d cube would be a single fave on the tesseract.

What you're missing is that, in the same way we can walk forwards and backwards, in a 4d universe you could move along the w axis (in addition to x, y, and z) and arrive at completely no euclidean places.

So, the 4th dimension is time. A tesseract is not a good representation of the additional full perception of time, but it visually looks cool. Seeing the 4th dimention means you are theoretically able to see all of time, instantly, on a whim, not sure what that means in terms of geometry, but there ya go.

Also time crystals which move through time while stationary in space. Not really crystals, more like electrons from a certain isotope with matched spins and laser and shit

The last scenes of 2001 A Space Odyssey are reasonably cool

Time isn't a spatial dimension.

So does this have anything to do with consciousness? Like could we be something else intersecting with three dimensions and experiencing it somehow?

Dope, I haven't heard about that. I'll look into it.

Just because you can't visualise it, doesn't mean you can't understand it. There are some 4d computer games/simulations, and some 4d vr simulations you could check out.
Google "4d Rubik's cube". That may help you wrap your mind around it a little better.

But movement through time is. Our perception of time is kind of like a slide projector showing tiny snap shots of space in various states of time. We perceive the projector moving forward but it's possible to move the slides back or in some cases switch them around entirely. The 4th dimension as a physical spatial dimension is unfettered movement through the progression of time as a direction.

It isn't? Silly me.

Funny you bring this up.
I just had an epiphany about 4 d last night.

So you are standing in a room with a reflective surface in front of you.
Behind you there is a glass door and behind that door a plant with two leaves that when seen in the reflective surface in front of you, look like the quintessential alien face (two big black eyes huge head). So imagine that plant is both a plant and the temporary embodiment of an actual alien, but when you turn around and face it, its only a plant behind a glass door.

Thats four d in a nutshell

That's the basis of biocenteism. It's the idea that consciousness is a force of nature like gravity or magnetism and our bodies are like fleshy antenna that pick up on the field of consciousness in the universe. Drugs will also tell you this so the validity of such things is skeptic

Consciousness is non-dimentional. We exist purely in thought. We are an animal capable of understanding we are an animal. If we understand it. It's up to us few to move on educate and raise others with the same understanding.. in sense pay it forward. We are the one. We are god. We are thought and pure imagination. Enjoy the ride. Church
-MoonSyde

This has nothing to do with 4D and everything to do with the wave function of quantum particles and superposition.

How do you get this high

These are really cool subjects that would make awesome plots for movies, sadly they don't carry much weight beyond being thought experiments.

Everything that has existed exist and is extinct in the same universal time line. Reality is the dimention in which you are seeing the universe on a time scale. Example. Now, then, past or always is. Church

No actually he's right.

4D is basically a form that appears to be one thing but is continuously evolving or turning into another thing that is within itself, or construct. Like one of those images you see that looks like... well, this.

Well yeah I'm not saying it's 100% valid science. It's just a cool idea. Everything in the universe is made of the same shit. We're all just thoughts wrapped in particles, bunched up into random shit stretching billions upon billions of miles through a giant vacuum. It's not wholly outside the realm of possibility but it's definitely on the low side of probable

Drives me crazy too
Mostly the part where we can't actually see the 4th dimension but instead just 3d representations of it
Like I don't get why can't a computer represent the 4 dimension as it is instead of 3d representations of it

Well yeah I'm not saying it's 100% valid science. It's just a cool idea. Everything in the universe is made of the same shit. We're all just thoughts wrapped in particles, bunched up into random shit stretching billions upon billions of miles through a giant vacuum. It's not wholly outside the realm of possibility but it's definitely on the low side of probability

aaaaaaand i forgot the image

because the screen is flat.
Also computers can do 4 dimensional calculations

You're still thinking 3 dimentionally those would all be existing yes but your perception would be to the right angle and have an alternative view of time it self

no idea why that posted twice... all this science and my phone is still a raging pile of shit

what the fuck, delete this. this is not right

Also while we are on topic of things that we don't need in our life... what about topology? anyone can tell me fun facts about it?

We can see 3d geometry in a flat screen and it looks just fine

Are you retarded or....

The image on a screen is not 3 dimensional, it's a 2D representation of 3 dimensions. We don't actually see in true 3 dimensions. We have a perception of depth but not of a full 3 dimensional space.

That which contains cannot be contained by what it contains. Therefore a computer monitor, that can only represent 2d (remember, computer 3d is just an illusion, it is fake or else you would be able to touch it) cannot contain 3d and much less 4d.
But it can represent it. Thus thebdraeingnOP has posted.

The tesseract is the representation of a 4th dimensional object in 3 dimensions. Think of it like this, if you have a 3d object such as a cube, and you unfold it so all sides are laying flat, it is going to be comprised of 6 squares in 2 dimensions. If you did the same and unfolded a 4th dimensional tesseract each piece would be a 3d cube

Viewpoint of 3d- 3rd person cam in game. 4d is good mode seeing the scripts and files of the whole game in one reality point at any point in time or space in game. Church
-MoonSyde

That kinda works for me
Its still frustrating tho
Anyway there's an anime called Gurren Lagann all you guys should totally check it out

Also mathematically it is possible to go up in infinite dimensions I believe
Things get weird after number 5 thought

C-c-c-c-c-c-combo b-b-breaker
-MoonSyde

/thread. Church
-MoonSyde

that's not how any of that works

Goddamned small keyboard. The drawing OP posted, is what I meant to write.

Trust in the me that trusts in you or some such, right? It's a great anime.
But don't be frustrated. Not a single soul in this entire planet can successfully do what you are trying to do.
What mathematicians do is think of the equations and they relations to one another and so on.
This is the reason one cannot fully explain the universe without mathematics. Also, all the books for the general public that try to explain quantum physics and It's consequences are simplifying and not giving a correct picture, because it cannot be shown or told outside of mathematical equations.

If you understood it you'd know its true but you can't understand it otherwise you'd be extra dimentional. You aren't neither am I. I don't have time to explain to you how broken your reality is but I'd start by deleting Facebook. Church
-MoonSyde

nigga, nobody knows wtf a 4D space looks like.

1D = One Dot
2D = Two Dots
3D = Three Dots
4D = Four Dots

It's simple

It actually goes really philosophical and pseudo-scientifical in the last episodes
Well that's kind of relieving I guess, I'm going to sleep and dream of higher dimentions, or at least try to xd
Bye guys, people like you make places like this less shity :')

It's a little cube inside a big cube. End of fucking story

Why are you looking for companionship when you ride the short bus?
Must be a lonely trip.

Basically you are seeing just a slide of the 4th dimensional object. Kind of the same way you would look at images of a cat scan. You can tell by looking at the whole film it is a 3d object but can only see basically a 2d image of it at any given time. Similarly it would be like seeing a 3d image of a 4d object as it passes through the 3rd dimension! Hope that helps op! I've too done alot of thinking and watching the tesseract.

dude.. we're not able to see or imagine 4D because our senses are not designed for this.. imagine you can project 3D objects on a 2D monitor and that goes well.. because our brain can process the 2D image and add "virtual" depth to it.. but for 4D objects you need a 3D monitor to project them on.. which kinda look like hologram monitors where you can see all sides at once.. the only problem is that the retina in your eyes is flat so you're basically you're receiving a 2D image all the time even if you're looking at a real 3D object you'll still receive a 2D image.. so you need a 3D retina in your eyes in order to receive the 4D objects "of course your brain needs to be able to process the 3D image you're receiving and add the 4th virtual dimention to it.. basically your eye needs to be like the 360° sensor in the modern cameras ( of course a real 360° sensor not forgetting also the Z axis.. ) which can practically recieve a 3D image and not stretch it to become a wide 2D image.