Can speakers of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Catalan, French...

Can speakers of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Catalan, French, Romanian understand each other's spoken and written languages?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GYwcT1z2kpY
youtube.com/watch?v=3C0_kVqEvZs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Depends on the languages and on whether the speaker wants to be understood or not

When it comes to Spanish and Italian, the words are much closer together so it's easier to understand. Spanish and Romanian... not so much.

Of course, being Romance languages, they're all going to have noticeable similarities as they all effectively derive from the same language.

Portuguese speakers can easily understand Spanish and Galego, they can understand somewhat Italian, can understand somewhat less French, can understand shit about Romanian

Spanish 80%
Italian 40%
Catalan 70%
French 20%
never heard romanian

not really, no
you'll maybe vaguely figure out what they're talking about sometimes but that's about it

I found it easy as shit to get fluent in Spanish though so there's that

Italians and spaniards can understand each other enough. Portuguese is slavic tier that only spaniards can understand. French is retarded latin that italians understand slightly more than spaniards. Occitan and catalan are respectively accessible and easy french and spanish. Romanian is the "heyy man i'm back, how do I look" meme tier that only italians with knowledge of latin and deep ayy lmao languages can understand

I speak Portuguese and Spanish. I can understand Italian pretty well. Catalan and French are easier to understand in writing than spoken. Romanian, a word here and there, a little more in writing.

Catalan spaniard > French >Spaniard >>>>>>> Portuguese >>> Romanian

Galician = 100%
Spanish = 95%
Italian = 40%
The rest is not understandable

Portuguese and Italian
>Somewhat
Catalan and French
>No
Romanian
>I have not hear enought of it, but it sound familiar.

50% ~ of portuguese and italian

80% of Portuguese
50% of Italian
30% of French

Can speakers of English, Scots, Afrikaans, German, Luxembourgish, Icelandic, Faroese, Norwegian, Danish understand each other's spoken and written languages?

hi xbox
i've heard that one speaking swedish can understand a lot of other nordic languages

I'm fluent on both Portuguese and Spanish, I'm also used to Venetian, so probably not the best example, but:

>Written
Galician - 100%
Spanish - 99%
Italian - 80%
French - 40%
Romanian - 1%

>Spoken
Galician - 99%
Castilian Spanish - 98%
Rioplatense Spanish - 96%
Chilean Spanish - 70%
Italian - 65%
French - 30%
Romanian - 1%

I can't answer about Romanian and Catalan.
>Galician
Written: 98%
Spoken: 95%
>Spanish
Written: 90%
Spoken: highly depends on the accent. Sometimes literally every single word can be understood, and sometimes it's even more confusing than spoken French.
>Italian
Written: 40%
Spoken: 42%
>French
Written: 25%
Spoken: wew
Many times you'll be able to understand the context of what is being said, but that's it

>whether the speaker wants to be understood or not
This is very important.

>Written: 25%
I need to add that sometimes, like in the example picture, French can be well understood and sometimes you can't recognise a single word that is being said.

It all depends on how familiar you are with the other languages as well.

I speak Italian and Spanish and for me Portuguese written is 90% but hearing it is only like 40% (even worse with some accents) and French written is 70% and spoken is almost impossible outside of few slow words

POrtuguese yes, French not a word, italian nothing.

T. Spanish

Froumlette de omougeee

Portuguese
>Pai Nosso, que estais no céu.
Galician
>Pai noso que estás no ceo.
Spanish
>Padre nuestro que estás en los cielos.
Italian
>Padre nostro, che sei nei cieli.
French
>Notre Père, qui es aux cieux.
Romanian
>Tatăl nostru Care ești în ceruri.

Same here but I don't understand jackshit of spoken Portuguese, at least the BR version, they have an African lisp that makes it complete blabbering. Written is aight though.

Italian and French not word.

I don't even know what Romanian sounds like lol

Let's fucking all adopt Latin and be the cool boys in the street.

this

No

you're jealous because you're speaking a germanic language and you don't have an equivalent of latin

A savage germanic language*

anyone who speaks any of those languages, write something and I will try to translate (I don't speak any of them)

Salut le brésilien, change moi cette phrase dans ta langue de sous-race de singes

of course they can

because they all speak english :^)

hello brazilian, translate my phrase to your monkey language

Eu sou um francesinho afeminado que gosta de levar piroca de brasileiros pardos no meu cuzinho arrombado

You forgot your proxy.

Saludos Brasil, me gustan los colores de su bandera

UMA DELICIA! :)

I think it's
>translate this phrase into your subhuman monkey language

I mean...speaking English is so easy

En cambio hablar una lengua romance es difícil, nuestras leyes gramaticales son complejas y exquisitamente únicas.

hello brazil, I like the colors of your flag

a comida mexicana é boa mas tem pimenta demais

>sous-race
makes sense
what is cette though?

The harder the language the easier to understand the orders, portuguese speakers can understand spanish and a bit of italian, french has a lot of similar word, I have no knowledge of romanian but I bet sounds very familiar.

>what is cette though?
this

nice dubs btw

>a comida mexicana é boa mas tem pimenta demais

La comida mexicana es buena mas (pero) tiene demasiada pimienta

''Mexican food is good but it is too spicy''

...effeminate french who loves... of the brazilians...?

nice

hmmm something like "I'm a cum eater cuckold with a hardon for muslim dick on my prolapsed asshole"

Romanians understand french more than italians, we even use some French words. As a kid learning French was a piece of cake while my classmates had some trouble

good post

hum, french is a germanic language sweetie OK ?

say something in romanian and italian romantic friend

I'm an effeminate little french who likes to take brown brazilian cock in my stretched asshole

Euro Portuguese and French are the hardest to be understood by others when spoken, but not when written.

Written Portuguese s intelligible with Spanish speakers, but they can't understand our accent most of the time in my experience, unless we speak really slowly and open our vowels a lot.

Everything else the Brazilians in this thread have covered correctly, I think.

Brazilian Portuguese is closer to Medieval Portuguese than European Portuguese, my dear índio, much like how the American accent is closer to the Old English speech than the modern British accent.

i couldnt understand german or dutch/afrikaans to save my life

I think cette is our questo/questa, so something like esta/esto in Spanish maybe?

Catalan and spanish speaker here.
>Portuguese
Written: Almost everything
Spoken:About half
>French
Written:More than half
Spoken: much less
>Italian
More or less like french
>Romanian
Almost nothing

Sort of. With spanish, especially with our latin neighbors we can comunicate with a weird mix of portuguese and spanish, which we call Portunhol/Portuñol. It's not perfect but it allows for some clarity.

As for french I can sometimes understand what they're talking about, the general tone and certain keywords even though I don't understand what the words mean.

Italian is the same as french, easier since the phonetics are so similar to brazilian portguese

Catalan and romanian I have never heard someone speaking so I can't answer that.

catalan is the easiest spoken and written, spanish is second, french and portuguese I can understand when written but not really spoken, I can't understand romanian when spoken and can't make sense of it when written often.

Saluti brasiliano, traducimi questa frase nella tua lingua da sottospecie di scimmia

Can understand 50-60% of Italian and Spanish. French is more difficult to the untrained Romanian ear. Portuguese sounds like Russian to me, even though we have a bunch of Slavic words in our language. Never head Catalan so I can't say.
Salut brazilianule, tradu-mi această frază în limba ta de sub-specie de maimută.

Italian 50%
French 30%
Spanish 40%
Portuguese...20%

But because we have a Slavic sounding accent they probably understand about 1% of what we say.

like 10%

I remember watching a random romanian video on YT. At first I thought it was italian then it suddenly got slavic and I got surprised, that was pretty funny.

Eh. No but kinda. As a Spanish speaker, I can decipher French but I cannot understand it even when spoken. Portuguese, I can both decipher it and mildly understand it, that is I can understand words if the speaker is talking a moderate pace. Italian, its the same as Portuguese but I need the speaker to speak slowly. Romanian no idea since I've never heard it but written, it looks like a really funky Italian, I can only see a few root words here and there and I'd have trouble reading it. Catalan, yeah, its like Portuguese but I can understand more of it both spoken and written although I do believe its more similar to Italian or rather it looks like it if you didn't pay attention, at first it looks like a weird Spanish.

can understand written portuguese almost entirely
can understan a few italian phrases

Take a Latin base, throw in a bunch of Slavic and Turkish words, sprinkle some French in there because why the fuck not and you got Romanian. After 89, most borrowed words are from English so it got even weirder.

Only if you kno the basics, else you have to guess

Le chat est sur la table

How much understanding ??

>Turkish words
there is barely any turkish words, i've checked the number long ago on wikipedia or something. It's nothing.

La penna è sotto il tavolo

??

STRUNZ

Humanism was a mistake
you should've stayed vernacular dialects of Latin always written the same way

Not as dominant as Latin of course but there's a bunch of very usual words in there like kettle (ibric), pretzel (covrig), tip (bacșiș), window (geam) washbasin (lighean). They did fuck around here for about 200+ years but Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania were allowed to keep suzerainty status. Some words became more popular than others.

100%

Cattus super tabulam est

>cattus

What about it dude

The Brazilians in my Spanish class say they can't understand a lick of it. Are they liars?

they must be south Brazilians, therefore white and Germanic, therefore speak a Germanic language

There's more hungarian and greek words than turkish words. The turkish loanwords come from like the 18th century, too, brought by phanaroites.

patrician

They're white but they speak Portuguese natively.

French and Italian share more wordroots than Spanish and French or Spanish and Italian, like in cane-chain-perro or finestra-fenetre-ventana. We understand those just fine because most of the time we have direct equivalents that are considered a bit old fashion like can and fenestra, but they will probably have a harder time with us.

En gallego esas versiones antiguas del español son la palabra comun
Can, fiestra.... incluso fender (verbo) se usa a veces como sinonimo de "golpear" exactamente igual que el latin
realmente el gallego es como un español antiguo psh

We usually get a few words, but we are at loss with the whole sentence.
There is also the fact that unlike french or spanish very rarely we hear romanian, every romanian here starts to speak italian almost immediately.

I can understand written and spoken portuguese and french and written italian at a certain degree. Romanian is 100% incomprehensible to me

youtube.com/watch?v=GYwcT1z2kpY
here's every turkish word still in use

actually not
i fucked up

youtube.com/watch?v=3C0_kVqEvZs
here's a normie as fuck blogger or something
i know he's popular
or at least was
post blogs and shit so we can compare

I can understand written spanish and french except for a few words. I'd say italian is 30%. I don't think I've ever seen anything in romanian.
As for spoken languages, spanish is ~90%, french is 70%, and the rest is pretty hard to understand.

I have french classes and spanish is the same as portuguese but worse, so they're pretty easy desu