Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1863

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Discord:
discord.gg/neA547g

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7I2Ryji_9Js
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/negativeverbs2
moemanga.neocities.org/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jcn7Z4tbdRblEGnq6jzfW_sc-cOekTSs_N8z7mqb8Uc/edit?usp=sharing
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=838113091
kanjidamageplus.neocities.org/
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1917095458
my.mixtape.moe/vsgekf.zip
downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.kanjidamage.com
web.archive.org/web/20170602214511/http://www.kanjidamage.com/
youtu.be/TlK4ksIpG2Q
desuarchive.org/qa/thread/855746/#858354
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011006721000/k10011006721000.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why are there DJT threads on Sup Forums and /jp/? What is the purpose of the split?

Also when do I move onto Kanji? I'm pretty sure i have all the Hiragana down even if it does take me a few seconds to recall the sound.

>Why are there DJT threads on Sup Forums and /jp/? What is the purpose of the split?

The cultures are different. Essentially, /jp/ is for anime weeaboo NEETS, and Sup Forums is for real men.

>when do I move onto Kanji?
aren't you doing core 6k? the first literal card is Kanji

Well that's what I'm asking. When I have all the hiragana memorized do I just go right into that core 6k shit?

>Well that's what I'm asking. When I have all the hiragana memorized do I just go right into that core 6k shit?

you'll get different answers from everyone

personally, i think the best way is learn hiragana, start core 6k (start with 10 words a day). Commit to anki, learn katakana once you hit 500 words, once you're at 2000 words it's time to buy Remembering the Kanji cause you gonna need it by then.

fyi it'll take you about 3 months to hit 2000 words if you can bump it up to 15 words a day, but this is all dependent on how much time you can commit to studying

NEETS are capable of 50~100 words a day, but us normalfags can only do 20 a day max before we blow up.

>/jp/ is for extremely autistic anime weeaboo NEETS, and Sup Forums is for anime weeaboo NEETS (real men).

A solid plan would be to also start reading through one of the grammar guides suggested in the Guide.

Well I'm not a NEET but I'm also not a normalfag. I work part time and when I'm not working I just sit at my computer so I guess I could go pretty NEETmode on this shit.

No, don't use your free time stuffing more words.

If you have time to spare, keep your Anki deck at 10 words a day and only bump it when you become extremely comfortable

Instead, use your spare time to open up bonus outlets of learning to reinforce your japanese. Memrise is pretty good and has a Kanji deck downloadable, and when combined with tae kim and anki will make you feel like you're on the right track.

Contributing

youtube.com/watch?v=7I2Ryji_9Js

>DJT
>Daily Japanese Thread
>DJT
>Donald J. Trump

hmm...

Is there a good chart/spreadsheet for conjugations so I can look at them all at once instead of going to different points in Tailor Keem's grammar guide? Surely I don't have to actually go and make one myself.

"The value in a cheat sheet comes not from using one, but rather making one of your own" - some dead guy

I did my own spreadsheets as I went through Tae Kim and it helped me a lot better remember and properly organize my understanding of the grammar, I recommend you do it yourself.

That's a wise cadaver.

>「嘘にならぬよう、同居がバレぬよう言葉を選んだ。」
I'm assuming the normal use of め (ない) here, does the sentence mean something like "In order to not lie, as well as to not leak us staying together, I should choose my words (carefully)?"

Yes, except choosing is in the past tense.
This is an old-flavored negative form, according to Taytay:
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/negativeverbs2

Damm that looks like you put some effort into it, i just read stuff while looking up ref in an brutish inelegant fashion until it stuck

An update for the "manga" catalogue link on the DJT op site.

moemanga.neocities.org/

The site now has thumbnail and full sized images for the manga in the CoR, as well as the まんがタイムきらら collection I'm working on and progressively adding to the catalogue. The "select to show" filter is now fully functional, with the remainder of the series now up. There is also a day/night mode toggle under the heading, for those who prefer a dark theme.

If you haven't noticed, only the first ~140 series so far have data for
>最新刊巻:
>最新刊発売:
>出版社:
I'll be adding that for the CoR manga series. This will also allow the implementation of a filter to show/hide completed series. It will also allow for anons to know which series in the CoR are not up to date in terms of available volumes.

A few key things I'll be working on:
1. updating the missing latest volume/publication date thereof/series page on publisher site.
2. a filter for completed series.
3. an overhaul of the "select to highlight" filter, with some sort of showing/hiding selected genres instead of highlighting them.
4. an RSS feed, as per request.

For reference, there are 642 manga series and 6526 volumes.

Thanks for all your hard work.

>For reference, there are 642 manga series and 6526 volumes.
Did you buy all of that yourself?

Oh, no, no, no. Most of that is from the CoR. All I bought and sourced personally is the content from this spreadsheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jcn7Z4tbdRblEGnq6jzfW_sc-cOekTSs_N8z7mqb8Uc/edit?usp=sharing

Oh, either way, 乙

Is there any usefulness to reading Genki after finishing TK's grammar guide or is it rehashing the same stuff I read in a different way? I feel lost as to what to do next aside from my daily anki grind.

Read shit and look up grammar points as you go via DoJG

There isn't any usefulness to reading genki under any circumstances, and practically nobody here recommends it. Just mentioning it without derision gives a pretty big indication that you've either come from reddit or a college course, although for now I accept that neither of those is necessarily true.

>nobody here recommends it
it's in the guide in the OP

What does this sentence mean? 飲みねくせに調子に乗るからだろうぞ.

Which grammar guide is better to use? Tae Kim is a common choice but I took a look at "Japanese the Manga Way" and it looks more interesting and seems like it goes more in depth than TK.

Who here /not gonna make it/?

but tommy kimbo doesnt generate nearly enough memery

Who here /KOE/?
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=838113091

Everyone.

いくら勉強しても何もわっかねえもん

Can someone check my translations? onegai

I'm gonna make it because I'm not concerned about "making it" within a certain time frame. Considering the pace I'm moving at, and the progress I've made thus far, I'm not particularly concerned.

in the first one it's eat with grandpa

the second

"Since he was born from a peach, let's call him Momotarou"

"The grandma and grandpa rejoiced and"
>ももたろうをそだてることにしました。
they decided to raise momotarou (him)

Is it common in Japanese to only use the ひとつ, ふたつ, etc form when counting objects or does it really get more specific?

Are there classifications for words that have the same sort of structure? Such as words that are made up of exactly 2 kanji or words that alternate between kanji and hiragana like 流れ込む

thank you so much :)

Wew. Almost thought I'd have to do it myself.

Different things have different counters. つ is pretty much a generic counter.

nice i had a conjugation table from google images which i referenced from often, but this one is much better :)

>when do I move onto Kanji?

You move on to Kanji the very instant you know the Kana. You start learning ASAP and never stop for the rest of your life

This is not even half of it and there are a few mistakes because I hadn't reviewed it yet. Good luck.

Yeesh, that seems like an unnecessarily large amount of work...
Really, there's just two main verb-types, plus a small number of irregular verbs, like suru, kuru and iku.
If you know how to conjugate "taberu", you can conjugate all other ichidan verbs, if you can conjugate "nomu", you can do the godan ones (except for the -te and -ta forms...)

焼き鳥料理準備はできましたぁ〜 写真に見えないけれど味醂と醤油でソースも作った
明日、友達が遊びに来る時に、この串を焼きます!

料理は楽しいだね?このスレには他の料理が好きな人がいますか?

>Some people say どうも is blunt and rude
>Some people say どうも is nice and polite

Which is it? JFBP keeps using it in business situations, but when I use it on my teacher in language class they never seem to acknowledge it.

Kanjidamage just died, what are some good options to learn kanji that don-t suck ass? Was already at like 350, the addition of jukugo was extremely usefull.

Is this thread kino?

as with everything it depends on who's saying it and how, but it's pretty casual so you should keep that in mind
I don't think you should use it on a teacher unless there isn't much of an age gap

just my impression though

Memelords out.

>Kanjidamage just died
Our jimmies are eternal, user.
kanjidamageplus.neocities.org/
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1917095458

Apparently ankiweb is having issues, so here are the original and reordered Kanji Damage Anki decks:
my.mixtape.moe/vsgekf.zip

美味しそう、楽しんで

僕だって料理に興味があり、時々新しいレシピを試している

what happened to kanjidamage?

downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.kanjidamage.com
It's down for me. Maybe the host is having issues.

Thanks, I think im just gonna stick with the 350~ that I have written down and memorize them better and learn some grammar while I wait for the site to be up. The anki decks are good but the format in wich they are presented are extremely bothersome.

It's rather ghetto, but you can still use the kanjidamage site via archived pages.

web.archive.org/web/20170602214511/http://www.kanjidamage.com/

Was trying to find something like this, it's actually bretty gud.

bump

毎日料理してるけど、食事よりスイーツ作りが好き
ケーキ、マフィン、クッキー、プリン…
作るのも焼くのも、そして何よりも食べるのが楽しいからww

From someone that started both...
Tae Kim is much more succint and you'll get done with it much faster.
Japanese the Manga Way is 'easier' because it takes that much more time with each concept, with a lot of examples.

At the end, I think (emphasis on think) that they should cover more or less the same ground.

why japs people so cool and cute?? i want them to fuck me its suck that their dicks are small tho

Generally Tae Kim is more production focused, trying to equip you with useful ways to express yourself, whereas JTMW is much more targeted towards things which might confuse you while you're reading, with it's large section on rhetorical questions and so on. In any case I would recommend reading them both, they're not that long and won't try and waste your time with exercises.

女性?

Anyone have that pic of germanyball trying to learn japanese to read ものべの pls?

目玉焼き

aw shit dude thanks i love you

youtu.be/TlK4ksIpG2Q
What the fuck did I just find

On a related note- is the title of the video gramtically correct or is it just a bunch of nouns thrown together?

Expression of the day:
逢うは別れの始め
Brought to you in part by 「物の哀れ」

it's too hard

The eraser always gets me.

So I'm learning baby first grammar and I have a question.
When does ーために mean "because" and when does it mean "in purpose of"?

because:
X ために Y - because of X, Y

in purpose of:
X ために Y - in purpose of X, Y

Do I have to guess every time, which works in the context?

our wonderful website's spam prevention features in action:

which djt is better the one here or the one in /jp/?

The most important part of /djt/ is the guide, so either will get the job done, but the overall community in /jp/ is way more hostile and that board is overrun with Touhou autists

well I frequent /qa/ so I actually like 2hu autists. I guess i'll try both for a while and see which one I enjoy more.

That's a fun word.

DJTはどうしてここにあるの?
Sup Forumsでは何かあったの?

追い出しちゃった

えー?広島君のせいかなー?

desuarchive.org/qa/thread/855746/#858354

tafuk, is this /ic/?

one of the mods who used to visit djt got angry because he couldn't learn japanese. He started deleting every thread related to japanese.

I'm learning with Genki right now, and I'm wondering of someone can explain this to me.

For onegaishimasu and kudasai, Genki says there's a trailing o that can be applied, but when should I use it? In the dialogue examples it uses o kudasai, but the chapter doesn't explain it further than that example.

Where can i find a japanese cutie to practice with?

you can say [noun]をください which means "please give me X".

[noun]をおねがいします means "X please". There is a difference in the two, but it's hard to explain. You could try jisho for example sentences though.

Hello Talk. heard japanese women would easily put out for white gaijins.

can confirm. you don't even have to request anybody because they all come to you.

An o in front of the word makes an activity honorific when there are no special honorific verbs. It's mostly used to refer to someone who is higher above you in the hierarchy or someone whom you do not know well (refer to chapter 19 of genki 2). Not sure if it explains your question.

The o, in this case, is actually を.

If I'm understanding right, I would, for example use kudasai if I were talking to a friend, and o kudasai if it were a teacher?

Really I should ask, does it follow the same rules as gozaimasu?

ください is a polite imperative meaning you would use it when make a request or give a command to someone you have to be polite to.

Please install an IME.

すみません

not him but fuck, didn't know about this til now. 教えてくれてありがとう

Can anyone help me translate this last paragraph of this article?

>www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011006721000/k10011006721000.html
>EUとどんな話し合いをするか国民に聞くために総選挙をすると決めました。しかし、どうやってテロをなくすか考えて、選挙に行く人も増えそうです。

So far I have:
>An election for the purpose of asking the nation what discussion to have with the EU was decided. However, thinking about how to get rid of terrorism, the amount of people going to the election also seems likely to increase.

What is this Jewish propaganda doing in my flashcards?