Depression thread

Depression thread.

I've lived with depression for the past 9 years. GF of 4 years left me about 8 months ago, finally seeked help as this was the all time low point in my life. Therapy was a joke; they couldn't tell me anything I don't already know. Tried several anti-depressants, none of them worked. Benzos help, but I can already feel the tolerance building. Drinking is the only thing that helps, but it's slowly killing me. Constant suicidal thoughts and feeling of worthlessness, despite graduating this semester with a CS degree and potential for a successful life. All my accomplishments feel mediocre and meaningless.

What to do Sup Forums? Is depression even curable?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AotZiyzsVjQ?t=1h18m30s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depression is an illusion that fragile mind creates

you'd actually be surprised to know how the symptoms of depression can be manifested from systematic imbalances in the body alone that can effect the mind. Not to mention people who just have actual chemical imbalance.
TL;DR Git.

Curable? Not yet. Just bide your time however you can. I got into philosophy after undergrad because I realized I had no idea about anything. Other than that, continue basic human functions and escape into frivolous hobbies.

Eat 5 grams of psilocybin mushrooms.
I'm curious if your serious or just seeking attention on Sup Forums tho

So you obviously listen to music. Wondering what genera you prefer?

Do you exercise?

Obviously working out can't cure a major depressive episode but it will definitely inprove things from where you are now.

I agree depression is an illusion of the mind. You're not living your true life or accomplishing the things you really want. You constantly put on a show for the world to see.

The cure is simple...
>Sell all the shit you think you "need"
>Get a passport
>Visit Iceland and party your face off
>Come home and start speaking your mind every chance you get
>Delete Facebook and everyone who's a life force suck from your life

youtu.be/AotZiyzsVjQ?t=1h18m30s

>true life
Lol this is a chaotic world and you have to create your own purpose, which unless you just be a mindless sheep and go with the culture you find yourself in, is usually pretty hard. Especially with an awareness that there's the possibility that this whole reality and every aspect within it is meaningless.

A few suggestions:

Go to residential treatment, if you’re afraid you’re not “crazy enough“ just tell them you’re suicidal. Either way they should take you for the drinking.

Once released take acid every few months if you don’t have history of hallucinations or Schizophrenia.

Find something you genuinely enjoy that’s not dependent on anybody else. A.k.a. a hobby or career

Eat and sleep properly

I self harm for eight years. I was anorexic for six years… There is a way out you just have to want it. When you want to give up, ask yourself this: if there is a chance I could be “normal “and happy wouldn’t I take it? I self harm for eight years. I was anorexic for six years… There is a way out you just have to want it. When you want to give up, ask yourself this: if there is a chance I could be “normal “and happy wouldn’t I take it? (IE
Continuing treatment and etc. )

>FYI It will get harder before gets easier
>I am in my second year of recovery

I have major depressive disorder and dysthymia. I had a plan to commit suicide, had everything laid out, and was in the process of acquiring a gun when I sought treatment.

Since then:

I'm on antidepressants, do talk therapy once a week, and speak with my therapist more regularly than that. I work out regularly. I started eating properly. I started being more honest with people in my life. Got better at communicating what I need. I have a girlfriend now, more friends. Pretty much turned my life around.

Single most important thing for me was talk therapy. I know you thought it was a joke. I know a lot of people who feel that way. My only suggestion is to find a different therapist. The right one can make a huge difference.

Sorry for the weird text, using voice text

Are you fucked in your head user? Do you know how horrible the lack of freedom feels associated with 5150/sections/whatever its called in your region?

OP DO NOT DO THIS. Although the psychedelics will help thoroughly in combo with therapy and encouragement.

Most important thing is your SOCIAL STRUCTURE nigga keep that in mind.

Oh and I’m not advocating smoking weed every day but since then I don’t have to take my medication anymore. Occasionally I will take Xanax ( used to take antidepressants, anti-psychotic for BPD, benzodiazepines and mood stabilizers)

I was in a place like that and it saved my life. I have never been better, and I don’t think I would’ve ever recovered if I didn’t go. I’m serious… I wouldn’t be alive right now

From 18 to 21 I was in and out of rehab. It was a waste. Every minute of it. At least disclaim a few things when you suggest something like that. OP may not know his rights regarding a situation like that.

Soz I'm drunk and coming on a bit too strong. I concur with treatment whether its inpatient or out is a big help but after the first time or two its just an oil change.

"me so tough and smart me no need understand brain chemistry"

That's what I've always believed, but it's only gotten worse over the year. I used to be happy.
Not after 9 years? My hope is fleeting.
Not looking for attention or sympathy, just sharing my story. I know I'm not alone on Sup Forums and looking for other's story/experiences.
Worked out a ton in high school when I first started feeling chronic depression. Joined a gym junior year, it definitely helped a lot. Continued lifting through freshman year college, then stopped. Start lifting again a few months ago and it helps, but only temporary.

HAVE YOU TRIED ANY REAL PSYCHEDELICS WITH THE INTENT TO TREAT YOUR DEPRESSION?

It’s not my job to educate OP about his rights. I don’t know why you guys are so against institutionalization… There are a lot of shitty institutions but there are many that can turn your life around. I will admit I did not recover until my third stunt in rehab for nine months. It was pretty awful, but it definitely changed me into the person I was meant to be. If I could go back I wouldn’t have fought it so much, and if I ever have to do it again, that would be fine.

>have been to jail 2x also and Rehab is about 100 times better so don’t even go there
> just research your facility of choice before hand, these places are designed to rehabilitate people like us

Agreed. OP seems to be ignoring any real advice. Psychedelics are amazing… I’m not sure what they do but they make me feel wholesome.

Thinking about depression leads to depression
Doing something alleviates depression
Repeated activity, health and exercise alleviates depression
There is no cure, just as there is no cure for being happy or living forever
Just do stuff, travel, stay fit and healthy.
Depression is a book and if you repeatedly flip its pages then you'll be stuck in it all your life.
Put it down and write your own chapters

start exercising but first of all bring God to your life. Can't do it on your own.

What worked for me was concerta. It is mainly used for ADD but since I have been on it it has fixed pretty much completely.

Not sure how psychedelics will help. I smoked weed through most of high school, and it helped. But to what end? Once I stopped, nothing changed. Drugs won't help end this. Life is great while you're on them, but it's not the cure.

t. 17 year old with no responsibilities..
you're right up until the first comma. then its just gay philosophical bullshit.

I've worked out through most of my depressive state. It helps, but doesn't last.

No one knows how psychedelics help. The best part is that it is not limited to when you were on them, it’s an afterglow which follows you for a few months. Personally I am going to experiment with microdosing w LSD soon. Looooooove me some Lucy

Bipolarfag checking in. Therapy was faggotry, meds work but make me half retarded, trying to kms just got me stuck in psych observation, only real solution is to set up your life in a way that you can have an episode, have someone around to do damage control, and get back on track when it's over.

My point is this. When you speak your mind...what you really want to say, when you do the thing "You" want to do and not what someone else forces you to do or expects you to do...

You think our ancestors were "depressed" fuck no! They were worried about staying warm during winter, and fighting off distant tribes that wanted their shit. They didn't have time to be depressed.

Depression is bullshit and I beat that shit with a bat.

Ask anyone who is depressed why they are depressed, and this is what you will get

Because I don't [insert some shit I don't have]
Because I don't [insert shit my peers are doing]
Because I don't [insert shit I can't control]
Because I don't [insert shit I should have done]

Fuck that noise...go be/do/say what you want, and watch depression evaporate like a fog on a Sunday morning.

"Lives of quiet desperation" and other shit dead dudes who knew what was up said.

seconded

OP in high school I was a burnout, majorly depressed, got into heroin, eventually shot heroin and cocaine for a living.

BUT, out of all that, I learned to do what the fuck I want. Within some reason, so that I can live in order to do all that, but I do mostly what *I* want and I'm as happy as I can be I think.

Yes indeed it's caused by the lack of luck in the gene lottery resulting chemical imbalance in your brain and there is no known cure unfortunately. 9 year without continuous medical treatment and any improvement in condition means that most likely you have already suffered atrophy in the temporal lobe.

Certain drugs can rewire some shit in your brain which can greatly improve your condition, yes mushrooms are highly recommended feel free to google the subject. At this point I don't think you have much to loose anyway.

checked faggot

TL;DR be GG Allin

whoah checked samecheck bruh

OP you will be ok. Don’t give up, life can be different, promise.

you obviously dont know nothing about psychedelics.

try shrooms or ketamine... you could find an enlightment against your depression. This wont wear off after the drug is outer your system.

>mfw everytime somebody tells me that they're depressed

By the current state of "being depressed" trend I foresee a MAJOR drop in "depressed" people by 2020.

You don't "cure" depression. You grow out of it. People over 25 with depression should be put into special camps with furries, weebs and other undesirable characters who fail to provide anything to society.

Help yourself, lil man. Seeking help is the pain itself. Laugh at pain. Embrace that shit.

Set a goal and use hate and pain as fuel to achieve it.

dude just smoke some weed lmao

Fucking this so much

When I was a faggot teen I also suffered form the mental retardation of being "depressed".

Anyone with half a brain and some fucking sense realizes that this is just mental weakness. Depression is just peoples inability to adapt to the harsh realities of life.

Shit will get better with time, go find a cs job. Plenty of cs workers are actually chill people. Make friends with your new coworkers and see if you can pick up a new hobby. Drinking can also turn into a good social thing, go get some beers and chill with bros if you got any. If you play video games go super fucking ham at one competitive vidya and get high rank. Don't base your self worth off one thing alone btw, that shit is what really gets you.

what do you specifically mean by harsh realities of life?

Good example of the self worth thing, when I was in highschool I was a shut in that got really good grades but did nothing other than play vidya. I got in a slump with competetive vidya and started hating life, but then I started getting nights where 5 hours of homework was normal. I finally realized "hey maybe i suck at vidya, but i should be proud about my grades, cuz school is fuckin hard rn" "maybe life ain't the worst" from then on i learned to take in all of my abilities no matter how unimportant they may seem.