Why didn't they just give the ring to Strider he seemed like a pretty good guy

why didn't they?

They couldn't give it to anyone who was influential enough to use it. They all started thinking about all the good things for their kingdoms or for the world they could do with something so powerful. That's how it gets you.

Men are weak

Shut up Elrond, you're just upset your slut daughter is eating the mattress from the BNC

Anybody else starts hating characters/movies when they get blown so over the top by redditors?
Shut the fuck up

Aragorn was able to resist the ring just barely, for like a few seconds. Eventually it would have corrupted him too and he knew it. He wouldn't have agreed to take it.

>inb4 ON A DARK DESERT HIGHWAY

>sits in a fucking tree house for thousands of years doing nothing
>I-it's men's fault!

Hobbits are the only race to be able to carry the ring and have it for an extended period of time without getting (majorly) corrupted. Bilbo had it for something like 50 years and it started having an effect. Frodo gets sick from it because he wears it a lot.

This

why didn't they just feed the ring to the eagle and had the eagle kamakazi it's ass into mt doom?

This.

Elvens are the niggers of middle-earth, let the world burn and blame the men.

why didn't he push isildur into the lava in the first place like 2000 years ago?

because kaka poopoo peepee

Because Isildur would have knocked him the fuck out

Ring are lamest shit ever, when I read the trilogy for the first time I thought you can do shazams with it, but it did shit besides invisibility and psychological pressure on the bearer.

the important thing is he didn't even try, just standing there looking like pussy

gotta be the master, nigga
show that ring who's boss

That's just what it does to hobbits. It also makes them immortal but with the cost of turning into a frog poop

Isildur was a DĂșnedain, being unusually taller and stronger than any normal man. He wasn't some one you could easily, 'knock on his ass'. In the battle against Sauron, they defeated Sauron in a duel. It wasn't an opportunistic striking of the fingers but a duel. Sure it was a few against Sauron but even with the ring he couldn't simply best them with his fencing skills.

>duel
>Sure it was a few against Sauron

so it wasn't a duel

Of course it was, Sauron was a demigod so he had to be opposed by Elrond, Isildur and others. Yes, were it a one on one Sauron would have gleefully pushed their shit in.

>It wasn't an opportunistic striking of the fingers but a duel
why would he be so feared then if he can't even kill some pesky elves and a glorified human while still in possession of his ring?

The more powerful you are, the more powerful the ring is, the more powerful the ring's influence on you.

Give the ring to Gandalf and he can magic blast the fuck outta Sauron from a mile away. And three minutes later he'll try to take over the world because he has ultimate power and knows better than any other, therefore he should lead man and orc alike into a new age under his dominion.

Give it to Aragon and he'll use it to try and fight Sauron, thinking the ring would give him power, and then he would gather followers and try to take over Middle Earth, as he is a wise and powerful and benevolent man, and surely he knows best and could lead man into a new age of greatness.

Give it to an elf and they will become powerful and immeasurable among any mortals, and thus surely they should conquer Middle Earth and lead man into prosperity under the dominion of the powerful and wise elves, upon which he/she is the greatest, and wisest.

Basically if you wear the ring eventually you become not-Sauron, unless you're a Hobbit.
I dunno how the ring would work on Dwarves though. I think the only other "safe" ring carrier besides a hobbit would have been Gimli.
Sam would have been the best ring carrier due to the power of friendship and totally platonic bromance

Give it to a Hobbit and uh, they turn invisible?

It's Sauron's ring

It doesn't do shit for the bearer If they're not Sauron besides destroy their mind

Now if Sauron's wearing it, It amplifies his innate magical powers

Likewise, the rings he gave to the Elves, Dwarves and Humans make those bearers more vulnerable to Sauron's powers.

I thought the ring did give its wearer power even if they weren't Sauron, but it would also inevitably corrupt them. The higher the high, the longer the fall kinda shit.

Because Elrond and Isildur were family.

Same reason why Elrond didn't approve of Aragorn fucking Arwen, incest is bad.

Post the pic lads

You know the one

It makes them think they have power and causes them to make horrible decisions which could result in losing the ring back to Sauron

Maybe it does give them some minor powers, I'd have to read up on it because I'm a bit flaky on it but I was fairly sure the ring is more of just a lens for Sauron's magic

Sauron was afraid that Aragorn could have mastered the Ring with enough time (he would have still ended up as a nasty corrupt fucker, but a powerful one). It's why Aragorn showed himself through the Palantir, to make Sauron panic and empty Mordor of troops in a bid to crush Gondor before Isildur's Heir could make full use of the Ring to usurp him.

It's because hobbits don't give a fuck
It's probably all that pipe weed

Elrond and Isildur were related.

Plus Isildur would have fucked him up if he tried any of his Elven bullshit.

i don't know dude, legolas proves that elves have some kind of fucking cheat code going on

and elrond is like more powerful than lego

Didn't Isildur turn invisible too though?

Think of the ring as an almost sentient being. It's focus isnt about power, its about getting back to Sauron. It will deceive your mind into thinking that you are all powerful and should try to best Sauron, but its all just a ploy to get back to its master. Maybe the wearer gets a bit of strength. But the ring isn't trying to create Sauron 2.0, it only really likes Sauron because thats the way he created it.

>Kin slaying
>What's the worst that could happen

I enjoyed the LOTR but it made me think it was a bit too 'good goy' 'turn the other cheek' Christian

What is wrong with power? It aids you and helps you protect the ones you love.

Apparently that's a bad thing?

Pipeweed is a tobacco-like substance, not DUDE WEED LMAO like Hackson suggested.

"oh shit, isildur totally like just tripped and fell inside the volcano, my poor cousin, oh no"

The ring would make a dwarf an asshole too. It'd basically be the same shit as the arkenstone in the Hobbit movie. They would probably feel more compulsion to dig deep in the earth first, which I believe is what the rings that Sauron gave the dwarves did, but they would march out to conquer everything eventually.

Yeah, Elves are pretty OP in Tolkien lore, but so were Dunedain/Numenorians. With the power of the Ring that Isildur possessed he would have dunked all over Hugo Weaving.

Plus, in a universe dedicated to muh honor, muh oaths, and muh trust, killing a king (and your kin) is a great way to JUST yourself.

If the person with the ring has a strong enough will they can claim the ring as their own and it would stop trying to return to sauron. Its corrupting properties can't be diminished though.

Why didn't Frodo or the fellowship lock the ring in a tiny cage, toss the key away, and carry the ring in the cage to avoid anyone trying to put it on?

No, it's weed

rings made dwarves greedy and reclusive. hobbits don't have any real ambitions which is why the ring doesn't affect them. only bilbo(tainted by the world) is negatively affected like smeagol was.

cause you gotta wear it during emergencies otherwise itll get stolen

well the ring didn't help isildur to not get rekt by some random wolves.

or Sauron as a matter of fact

No it isn't, Tolkien stated so in a response to a fan letter he received from one of his faggot 60's hippie fans that he resented.

w-wolves?

>(((greedy and reclusive.)))

Power without wisdom is a terrible idea. Also its literally a cursed ring.

And also, not only that, it's stated in the prologue to LotR that it's in the nicotine family of herbs.

Retard stoners BTFO

yup, wolves

He was shot by orcs when he was swimming across a river and the ring fell off.

OK the fact its cursed is a pretty good argument against using it. Did they know it was cursed? It seemed like everyone who had it was a ruler for a long period and then got ganked by someone who wanted to usurp their power.

Even so isn't that how life works without the ring? People are always trying to usurp power. The Ring might increase the chances but it's going to happen.

Power without wisdom is true but many of the fellowship seemed wise e.g. Gandalf and Aragorn, even those high elves and Sam as simple as he was was pretty wise.

power consumes and will eventually corrupt. Unless you are a god like saint, or elon musk.

the orcs shot wolves at him

Why didn't Sauron keep a Nazgul on sentry duty 24/7 at Mt Doom?

well what would boromir do with the ring even if he got it?

become invisible and go on a killing spree in mordor?

It's better for me and my loved ones to be powerful and corruptable than under the thumb of the powerful and corruptable

It's silly to think noone else will be powerful or corrupt and surrender the ambition to be

For the same reason every other LotR thread turns into GOAT comfy discussion, a stupid question followed by a plothole-proof answer that Tolkien solved himself, thus prompting the rest of Sup Forums to discuss LotR lore civilly.

>become invisible and go on a killing spree in mordor?

That seems to be a good idea... I guess he follows his whims like all the other ring barers? I expect it'd be to establish dominance of men, which would include dominating mordor.

>mfw Sam was tempted by the Ring and felt compelled to conquer Mordor and turn the place into one enormous garden.

and there you go, there's your answer.

>Tolkien predicted the internet and prepared for it

kek that tickled me

but how would becoming invisible help you dominate men?

>And three minutes later he'll try to take over the world because he has ultimate power and knows better than any other, therefore he should lead man and orc alike into a new age under his dominion.
Well... what if he did?

got me good

Maybe he was too proud and never thought a small hobbit could enter his realm to destroy the ring.

but that makes the whole "power is bad" thing wrong, unless LOTR is meant to teach you to refuse to believe that powerlessness is the right way to live

Was Tolkein causing me to think? That motherfucker?

>Did they know it was cursed?
Yes. It was sauron's soul/will bound to the ring. Those that had the tree elven rings saw sauron's plan for the rings of power when he used the one ring.

Also, only two people had the ring before bilbo. Isildur had it for a few months at best before it killed him, and gollum had it longer than anyone.

Tolkien received thousands of letters about potential plotholes from his fans (all of which crop up on Sup Forums and lead to these threads) and autistically answered almost all of them. He pretty much made the LotR story bulletproof from a plot perspective.

SAMWISE THE STRONG, HERO OF THE AGE

Caspere knew this

Examples? That sounds great.

Maybe he's not a fucking murderer?

Take action when the power is out of balance. Otherwise, just relax and live your life. LOTR's in a nutshell

Elendil and Gil-galad wrestled him, Isildur cut his finger off
So it was three against one, not a duel

I think most of them went unpublished and remain either in Christopher's possession or have long since been thrown out.

Most of the major ones are the ones you know about if you visit Sup Forums though for LotR threads.

"Why not use eagles?"
"Why no guards at Mt. Doom?"
"Why Sauron not conceive the idea that someone will destroy ring?"
"Why not let Gandalf have the ring?"
"Why not just toss the ring in the ocean?"

etc...

>tfw you live in Tolkien country and go for walks around his imagination every other weekend

the turn invisible thing wasnt explained well in the books

physically yes it looks like youve just turned invisible, in reality the ring has put you into the "shadow realm" (forgot its proper name) which is the realm that sauron and the wring wraiths are bound to, they only inhabit middle earth through the rings power.

the rings power is based on the power of the bearer, simple creatures like hobbits and men are simply tunred invisible,

more powerful creatures like elves, wizards, will become extremely powerful,

Sauron please go

Is it accurate to think of the ring as sort of a Horcrux? If an uber-powerful individual like Gandalf or Galdriel took the ring to use for themselves and rule over Middle Earth, could they permanently destroy Sauron and take his mantle,or would he still exist in some way until the Ring was destroyed?

because hed become sauron mark 2, he wouldnt be a benevolent ruler.

hed set out to be a good ruler, but over time hed become crueler and crueler and more evil until he became sauron

however this may not happen because the ring is loyal only to sauron, chances are if gandalf tried to use it and then went to fight sauron the ring would slip away from him and return to sauron, it betrays the wearer for sauron which is why it is always tempting people to march towards sauron.

>good idea
Thats exactly what the ring wants. For you to think you're hot shit and literally bring the ring to sauron

Did they ever forge a ring that granted supreme power to good noble people and caused pain to evil people?

Like a one ring.. that wasnt a piece of cursed shit

>tfw when you also live in tolkien land but in a dirty city that's riddled with meth and natives asking for a dollar.

The ring belongs to Sauron, it was stolen from him by men and all Sauron wants is his property back. Why are the '''good guys''' trying to destroy the ring instead of return it to Sauron? How would they feel if their property was stolen and destroyed? How am I supposed to side with the fellowship when in reality they're the assholes?

Talk about double standards.

>tfw want to immigrate to NZ but only jobs in my career deal with dirty Mauriniggers

My favorite Sam moment for sure. Even when granted ultimate power, his first thought his "man, I could grow SO much food, they'll call me 'Samwise the Gardener'".

>tfw you spend 4 years at uni in nz only to get an apprenticeship to become a builder because that's the only jobs available and it pays more than your profession you originally studied for and now you have to deal with burnt cookies on a daily basis

We'll make it one day user.

Eventually somebody would find it again. Also, there's a very good chance that Sauron could have won without the ring. Basically:

Sauron without the ring: 99% chance of him winning
Sauron with the ring: 100% chance of him winning

I would like answers (if they exist) to all those, though.

If things ever got really desperate, I think they should have given the ring to Galadriel. Having a hot bitch of a queen wouldn't be so bad.

The same way Huan defeated Sauron thousands of years before that albeit with the aide of LĂșthien. Sauron decided to fight mano e mano. Which wasnt the way his power worked.

>Having a hot bitch of a queen wouldn't be so bad.

>Wanting female leaders

lol fuck off Germany

>tfw take my Australian LLB to NZ and become the #1 lawyer in NZ and buy up all your cheap as fuck picturesque property

You will be my serfs

And you shall call me Lord

hobbits are uniquely resistant to corruption, aragorn also had anxiety about turning out like his ancestor and perpetuating the cycle of the ring due to what he felt was an inherited weakness and selfishness.

1. The Eagles are not an Uber service for the benevolent forces of Middle Earth, and largely care not for the strife of those living below them. They only help when Captain Eagle sees "Well shit, if Sauron wins we won't have any delicious grubbies to eat on the ground" Along with coercion from a god.
2. It was literally inconceivable to Sauron that anyone would be able to/desire to destroy the Ring. Imagine it as the most potent drug ever created and that as soon as you come into contact with it (Sam being the only exception) you are so hooked you could never begin to hope of giving it up. Sauron was also correct about this, as it took literal divine intervention to push Gollum into the lava. You never take preventative measures for things you can't think of.
3. See 2.
4. While Gandalf would most certainly desire to do good, through him the Ring would wreak untold havoc (this is even stated in the movie IIRC).
5. It was inevitable that Sauron would win the War of the Ring if any other outcome happened OTHER than the destruction of the Ring. The only variable was time.