I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cells. Ask me anything about the 10 years I wasted at university

I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cells. Ask me anything about the 10 years I wasted at university.

Other urls found in this thread:

genome.ucsc.edu
nature.com/articles/nature12517
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is it possible to slow down aging so that we live for hundreds of years?

stfu retard. stem cells have huge potential
read "Stem Cell Therapy: A Rising Tide: How Stem Cells Are Disrupting Medicine and Transforming Lives" and do sth productive

>Ask me anything about the 10 years I wasted at university.

Will it ever be possible to regain those 10 years?

Let's put it like this. We increasingly understand what aging is on cellular and molecular level and are now beginning to target phenomena linked to aging in a preclinical setting (e.g. animal experiments). We do not know if these interventions will have any significant effect on human life span though.

Why would we ditch medicine entirely? Whats wrong with taking a pill, who cares who makes money off of it, the medical description of uses of drugs was not made to make money

>stfu retard. stem cells have huge potential

Theoretically. In clinical practice (even at the translational and experimental level), they didn't have any strong influence yet. Most trials using stem cells to treat e.g. tissue damage showed less than promising results. Exceptions being the hematopoeitic system and the skin

Could we live linger by repairing our aging organs with stem cells

Why would you want to increase your lifespan? What if on the other side of death there is good and not nothing?

That is illogical

if I inject ground up baby gums into my testicles will they get bigger?

Feel like it was worth it? I'm studying biochem, but research biology is seeming less and less appealing to me

That's the big question. Generally, aging has many manifestations on the intracellular level (senescence and telomere shortening, genomic and epigenetic alterations, dysfunction in cellular organelles) which could be mitigated if we could replace the stem cells in a organ with fresh cells. However, stem cell function is always linked to the microenvironment (the so called stem cell niche) and when this niche gets destroyed, even fresh stem cells will not function correctly.

>Feel like it was worth it?

Not. Get into industry after your Masters.

What is the structural relationship of AGCT to the double helix? As in, how does the shapes of AGCT correspond?

The molecular shapes of individual A G C T

Are you a virgin?

I don't understand the question.

What's your twitch channel? And why are you so good at Mario Maker?

When you gonna get my telomeres to slow down from grinding away.

When will mental disorders be nearly fixed

Also when we gonna get those chips that tell our genetic makeup?

What color are stem cels

Did you at least get laid?

How do the molecular shapes of Adenine Cytosine Guanine and Thiamine relate to the molecular structure of DNA? I'm not interested in how they correspond to one another directly, but to the whole formation of the double helix and even further relation to chromosomal shapes

I like this guy.

Do you believe the different average traits between different races have a genetic component

And if so how much do you think this is down to genes over environment

>When you gonna get my telomeres to slow down from grinding away.

It's theoretically possible to overexpress e.g. TERT in human cells by using some kind of viral vector. However, the question is whether that is something advantageous given that telomerase play a very ambivalent role in e.g. cancer.

>Also when we gonna get those chips that tell our genetic makeup?

You can get your genome sequenced and put it on a USB drive. It's about 200 GB though.

You have the Watson-Crick base pairs (A-T, G-C). In these pairs you always have a purine (two ringed structure) and a pyrimidine (a one ringed structure) which form pairs equal diameter based on hydrogen bonds. These pairs lie flat on top of each other within the deoxyribose + phosphate backbone.

TY science/b/ro

Will it ever be possible for humans to regenerate limbs?

There are some salamanders who can do that, and they are used heavily as model organs in regenerative medicine. If we can mimick this process in humans is hard to say because you would need to force stem cells in the human arm stump to go into a certain developmental program again.

how much bank do you make user? were those 10 years worth it?

I'm currently working a minimum wage job while looking for something in the field.

so thats a not much and a no then?

Yes.

how can you not have a job lined up ready for when you left Uni?

When I got my degree I had 4 different job offers that were relevant to what I had been studying (history)

my university offered a lot of help in regards to courting potential employers, setting up interviews with them and overall helping advertise me and my skills to them all before I even graduated.

why is there no vaccination for cancer

What job opportunities where available to you, other than a school teacher, university lecturer or curator?

>how can you not have a job lined up ready for when you left Uni?

I had a postdoc position set up which ran out of funding eventually. After that, I decided I wanted to switch to industry and focused fully on applying. Nothing.

>my university offered a lot of help in regards to courting potential employers, setting up interviews with them and overall helping advertise me and my skills to them all before I even graduated.

My university didn't.

There are quite a few in trial.

all different kinds of museum work, working with various historical trusts and committees, archivy work.

I currently work for a London law firm as a master of records where I document, administer and curate a huge archive of legal documents and legal procedings

They obviously do, at minumum the the physical level. Nose structure, physical performance (like sprinting), hair, skin, all of these factors and there is enough of a corelation to see there is a difference between white vs. Black IQ it just matters what the causation is now.

bump

Do you think you wasted 10 years because the field is a dead end now, or because you yourself just can't get a good job? If the latter, what's the story? Who is to blame?

Or are you just tired of working, and now you want to have a fun life and get laid?

How are you allowed to work with legal documents without a law degree? Is it because they are historical documents?

Exactly that

>Do you think you wasted 10 years because the field is a dead end now, or because you yourself just can't get a good job?

It's mainly because of the latter. Even though I think that the regenerative medicine field is overhyped.

>If the latter, what's the story? Who is to blame?

I am to blame. Didn't publish very well and networked even more poorly.

>Or are you just tired of working, and now you want to have a fun life and get laid?

Didn't get laid back then, don't get laid now.

Can stem cells cure diabetes? I've wondered it for years.

where did you study user? most of my friends and peers with degrees have similar stories to me in regards to their respective universities helping to line up potential employment opportunities for when they graduated it just seems strange to me there there are other universities in the world that dont do this

will drinking a shot of stem cells every day have a healing/regenerating effect on my health?

No

It is theoretically possible to e.g. differentiate ESCs into beta-cell (precursors) and replenish the beta cells in the pancreas. However, the clinical challenges are the same as for other tissues: getting the stem cells to the right place. In addition, the autoimmune response which is the causal defect in type I diabetes would still persist.

Heidelberg. There were job fairs and if people in the department get info about an open position, they shared it. But that was it.

Do you know an online source where one can find a genome sequence to download?

genome.ucsc.edu

Some universities don't give a shit about their students fag. you just got lucky you signed up for one that was willing to help you out

dude what the fuck, what are these pseudointellectual questions, are you still in school or some faggot lurking /r/futurology on reddit?

Google gives you literally countless results

Isnt Heidelberg one of the best Uni's in Germany? or is it just an England thing? It just seems so strange to me that students would pay so much money on an education that there would be better facilities in place to help their graduates to find work as they approach the end of their studies, sorry if I seem to be going on about it, it just seems like such a waste of potential.

Why are niggers genetically subhuman?

>It just seems so strange to me that students would pay so much money on an education

I paid almost nothing,

Damn, bro. That all sucks.

Let me just tell you, there are others out there in the same boat. I squandered a promising academic career in astronomy. Now feel washed up. However, I have concentrated on self-improvement, and I'm at least getting laid a little bit. I even fucked an incredibly hot 25-year-old I would have never thought I could fuck. (I'm 45.)

Hang in there, Sup Forumsrother.

are tuition fees paid for by the govenment in Germany? or was it a Scholarship kind of deal?

If the state is paying for your education is paying for your education I suppose that doesnt obligate them to go the extra mile in helping you secure work..... give and take I guess, Im still paying off my student loans.

Prove it, nigger.

>are tuition fees paid for by the govenment in Germany? or was it a Scholarship kind of deal?

Tuition fees were like 500 € per semester for undergrad. As a PhD student, you are paid (mostly for teaching).

why arent we healing spinal cord injuries with stemcells already

Getting an education in Germany sounds like a sweet fucking deal

Because (1) fibrosis is a big problem. (2) even if nerves are regenerated, they must be connected correctly.

if our body could mediate correct connections when we were embryo's, it shouldn't be that difficult to trick the body into that process again?

>stem cell niche
If I inject stem cells into a fleshlight, will the silicone be replaced with a flesh-and-blood vagina?

See? That is where you guys got it wrong.

There has to be some kind of "lattice" which is invisible to the individual cells in order for them to stop growing in particular manners and shapes.

Taken on the individual level (which all cells are, at their core), the famous Negro Scientists question has relevance -- i.e. "How Do It Know?"

How do it know to stop growing precisely -this- long and not -that- long absent some sort of invisible lattice?

This proves that there IS a 4th dimension which is defining the space where any physical 3-D thing may exist.

Neurogenesis is just feedback loops + trial and error.

I beseech you, from the bowells of Christ, think it possible that you may be wrong.

>When will mental disorders be nearly fixed
Mental disorders are a relative value judgment.

In a different context, all mental "disorders" are actually valuable. Alternate manifestations of human behavior and cognition are actually very valuable outside of our current monoculture.

Bipolar disorder: manic energy to clear cut a forest, build a log cabin, till the soil and plant it, then rest and energy-depressed state to save caloric energy and let the plants grow.

Depression: the instinct to focus on life's negatives provides valuable insight into the shortcomings of life and society.

Autism: separated from a plane of awareness and cognition that is more centered around social, emotional, and athletic phenomena, autists are gifted with extreme analytical ability that allows us to push the frontiers of STEM.

Schizophrenia: unique creative capacity to develop the unconscious into a rich fantasy world. Share it with others and it becomes a religion. Bypassing the rigorous deliberate approach of logic and reason has its downfalls for sure, but while that approach slowly grows and develops, it traps people in systems of morality and social systems which lead them to feeling unfulfilled and sublimated the energy of their unconscious desires into destructive and self-destructive behaviors.

Neurodiversity is the cure, not the problem.

The problem is a society that more and more considers itself the height of human achievement. The unacknowledged price of that achievement is marginalizing, drugging, and ostracizing anyone who doesn't fit society's needs (which in our society means being an efficient cog in a capitalist machine to generate ever greater profits for our oligarchs.)

will it allow jewsnips to restore actual foreskin to their mutilated shafts?

also, how the fuck did you manage that without wanting to off yourself? my time at uni was fucking horrible, i cant imagine another 10 years of it.

excellent, thank you. I learned a lot.

>how the fuck
>my time at uni was

different people have different experiences dude

What will be the impact of CRISPR on human life?

good stuff.

i know, but i dont know how anyone can stand it. my experience of uni was being strung along with basic bitch project in new field to next basic bitch project in new field, with 0 incentive to actually show up to do the studying as literally everything was handed out by alternative means. i went into uni loving what i wanted to study and came out hating it and looking visibly unhealthy. also it cost me a shitton of money.

It's just a tool to make genome modification much easier. So it might help to overcome certain obstacles when it comes to e.g. gene therapy.

wow paradigmshift material

crispr is great, there's only this little problem of thousands of off-target mutations

It's shitty researchers, not crispr.

Notice how no one else in the community is reporting the same results?

Uhhh, they wouldnt publish shitty results, thats why you dont see them

OP, I want to create and experiment with brain matter. I want to grow brains and brain-like tissues and organs, connect electrodes to them, and experiment with them.

How do I get started? What challenges am I likely to face? How much will it cost?

Utterly incorrect.

The idea of neurodiversity being a good thing has been thoroughly debunked. 70% of people with autism have an IQ below 100. Almost none can function independently in human society. It is a massive stretch to call something which is so clearly a disadvantage an advantage.

Same thing for depression, schizophrenia etc. Lots of people with depression become unresponsive, unhelpful, and an utter burden to their communities. Schizophrenics are unreliable. The reason why humans evolved a normal range is because it is what allows us to quality as and function as humans: advanced social skills and a need to understand and respect norms and fit in.

There is also the WEIRD problem. Academics largely come from a WEIRD background (White, Educated, Independent, Reasonable, Disciplined) and this is something that has only existed for the past century of human history. Fanciful theories explaining autism and depression have to explain how such things were an advantage for 50,000 years of subsistence hunting and gathering.

The more likely explanation is that there is no explanation. These things are illnesses. Diseases. Afflictions. The human brain is incredibly complex, there is a large amount of feedback in how society and early experiences shape the developing brain, and it doesn't always go right.

So say you worked at plan parent hood and had the hook up on dead baby fetus'. How much could I charge for these body parts? we talking 10 or 100's of thousands of dollars? Better than just tossing in the dump.

In this case, they would unless they belong to the big labs (Doudna, Zhang, Church) who have a financial claim.

Use your knowledge to create something innovative. Surely you noticed at least 1 thing about this field that's retarded and could use fixing. Find the most important issue and form a team of people and get funding. There you go.

That's legit all you have to do to be a millionaire. Just look at something that's important and go "Wow that's retarded they should do this instead" Then make sure the plan is actually reasonable. Get funding to fix it. It gets fixed. You're rich.

Aborted fetuses are pretty worthless for stem cell research. Might be more interesting for the developmental biology crowd.

Are you joining TERMIS in september?

Factual, accurate, reasonably presented and correct.

Your kind are not welcome here faggot. Go suck a dick.

> balance restored.

>How do I get started?

The best thing resembling brain in a tube are the Knoblich brain organoids.

nature.com/articles/nature12517

You can probably do Patch clamp on slices of these organoids.

I would say a lab space including primary cell culture plus the necessary devices will cost several 100k.

what's your opinion on terrahydrite and its relation to mitochondria and cell to cell/organism to organism communication

I listened to that Dr. Riordan on JRE and tbh he sounds like a good doctor that's had some success in certain areas that is now trying to move into the snake oil business.

I think I overstated my case, but at best you are doing the same thing.

I don't mean to say that there is no person who shouldn't be helped. But we frequently frame that help as changing the person, instead of changing the environment.

The assumption more and more seems to be that there is a single ideal form of man and that deviations from that are illnesses to be corrected.

Even illness itself imparts a unique perspective to those burdened with it which shapes their contribution to society in irreplaceable ways. I don't think this means we should make people ill if we start running out of ill people, but I don't think it's a simple black and white issue, either.

Why do you bring up the WEIRD problem?