Horror genre is stagnating for a decade

>horror genre is stagnating for a decade
>women artists come into the picture and elevate it to another level

Oups, looks like us "SJW" were right, and babbymen were wrong

All horror movies are shit. The only 'good' ones are not scary at all and might be as well considered drama

Yeah but babadook was pretty shit overall.

Except The VVitch is the only good modern horror movie and it was written and directed by a man.

Of course women are good at horror. They're terrifying.

>elevate it to another level
Babadook was awful.

I don't think anyone ever said women can't make movies, almost everyone here likes american psycho

the vvitch and babadook were both garbage

This was drama, not horror

The worst thing is, even if you think that, it was still among the 'good' horror movies to come out in perhaps the past 3-4 years.

That's what the horror genre has become.

I'd give it a 6.5/10 though. ending was actually good as was some of the setup.
Fuck the mom and the kid though, especially as the kid did a 180 out of nowhere.

Babadook, yes. If you don't like The Witch, you're a fucking retarded pleb.

That's what Hollywood says about any good horror movie like Silence of the Lambs

>>That's what Hollywood says about any good horror movie like Silence of the Lambs
That's because all 'good' horror movies fail at being scary, which is the entire fucking point of horror movies. They are drama/suspense

>it was still among the 'good' horror movies to come out in perhaps the past 3-4 years
I admit that it was an honest attempt to do something mildly original in the genre.I'm sick of Paranormal Activity clones.

the only scary or disturbing part of the bababooey was the part when she went to the police station. Reminded me of that scene in zodiac where he is in the guys basement, simple paranoia is so much scarier than when movies try so hard to be DISTURBING AND EDGY.

The VVitch was alright but The Wailing was horror kino.

real artists are usually too autistic to care about politics

Name a scary movie.

Exactly.

But we're fucked anyway, normies keep eating it up. Everyone has been recently talking about the Ploughsies tapes or wahtever. Watched half of it and turned it off. They made a character we hardly see a MARY SUE
>he's a killer but SO SMART
>what a genius he is, for knowing there's a gas station 10 ft from his house
Plinkett made better home torture scenes.

i turned the babadook off after half an hour. 30 minutes with nothing but a screaming autist kid and close up shots of a depressed single mothers face, wow so good.

>But we're fucked anyway, normies keep eating it up.
Overall this was always true, though. Horror has become a mainstream genre over the course of 30 years, but the idea that the vast majority of viewers eat up schlock isn't new.

Did it remind too much of home life, mate?
I hear your daddy left in shame after he spawned a cunt like you.

it reminded me too much of an awfully bad movie and i heard a voice telling me im wasting enough time even without watching shitty garbage movies.

>nowadays people are too weak to allow a movie to build up
You shouldn't be too quick to give movies up. Horror movies ESPECIALLY are about build up.

>white man does great achievement
"lol user stop taking credit for other peoples work"
>woman makes a movie
"wooo grrl power watch out cis scum!"
>nigger does something noteworthy
"we wuz kangz and shiet da white man keepin a brotha down"

I fell asleep twice during it. Forced myself to watch it the other day and was disappointed as fuck.

It's not even about build up it just isn't good and the pay off is worthless.

>western society grows softer each generation
>youth get their kicks by making race and gender trolls on Sup Forums

Looks like the older generations were right and the kids these days are indeed pathetic...

>being this retarded that you fall for obvious b8

>The worst thing is, even if you think that, it was still among the 'good' horror movies to come out in perhaps the past 3-4 years.

Not even, that's only true if you're looking at mainstream horror films. (or in the case of The Babadook, ones that went viral)

The best horror films right now is all low budget and/or independent stuff, coming out from smaller distributors like Magnet, Glass Eye Pix, IFC, etc.

Movies like Late Phases, House of the Devil, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, We Are Still Here, The Innkeepers, Last Shift, Stake Land, V/H/S, Maniac... Just off the top of my head, I could go on but you get the idea.

You really have to dig to find that stuff granted, as it flies under the radar of normalfags so you probably won't hear about them, but good horror movies still exist if you're willing to put in the time and the effort to seek them out.

>From "mediocre movie" to "movie you haven't heard of" here is an article that has absolutely nothing relevant to say

What a meaningless opinion, try actually communicating your ideas instead of a witty one liner, then waiting for someone to disagree so you can actually explain what you mean.

is berberian sound studio a horro

back when I interacted with people, all the female geeks I knew were into horror flicks, while all the men were into fucking naruto.

I guess this confirms that all guys are weeaboo plebs

I came here to post this almost verbatim

>tfw no more films like Rosemary's Baby

Babadook was fucking AWFUL

women are drawn to horror cause horror is shit

All of them are mediocre films, they can go fuck themselves as they like fucking dykes.

I'm tired of everyone making everything into a battle of the sexes.

Women have made a lot of quality horror movies lately. So what?

Can't we just enjoy the movies for being enjoyable movies?

user saying you dont like a movie is communicating an idea. im sorry you didnt care for it, i guess if you returned to reddit you might find posts that better suit your sensibilites

>Women have made a lot of quality horror movies lately.
Like?

can somebody explain to me why this movie is praised on here other than "muh waifu"?

>Rolling Stone
Remember that time they published an article about a rape that never happened and caused a national panic?

How will they ever gain back credibility after that?

No, even by modern horror standards it's a pretty awful film. If it weren't for the heavy marketing campaign nobody would give two shits about it.

What exactly did you like about the ending? How ridiculous and out of place it was?

>fuck the main characters
So what did you like about the film? (besides the shitty ending)

If I had to give it a number grade it'd be 4-5/10. Worth checking out only to see what the fuss is all about, but not worth anyone's time really. The kind of film that you should watch only if you catch it playing on TV and have nothing better to do.

the exorcist is the only scary movie

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Midnight was really good. The Invitation was great as well. I liked The Babadook, even though it appears by this thread that I'm kind of alone in that regard.

But there you go, doing it again. It's not about hating women, user, it's about loving movies.

what's your problemo lad

from what I saw it was more generic small town/suburbian america bullshit

V/H/S and Southbound had good concepts

>A Girl Walks Home Alone at Midnight
absolutely unwatchable. how did you sit through more than 5 minutes of it?

I don't know, it just clicked with me.

I liked the slow hypnotic way the story moved. I liked how most of the devastating societal crumble was placed in the background. I liked how there was a lot of buildup to violence that then happened with rapidity.

I liked the movie overall and you didn't. Meh

>babadook
>horror

pick fucking one

>I liked how most of the devastating societal crumble was placed in the background.
yeah thats bakersfield for you

Setting, timeline, acting?

It was great compared to anything else that's tried to be creepy in years.

>the only good modern horror movie

pic related wants to have a word with you.

The Babadook isn't even the best horror film of the 21st century. It has fantastic acting and is very well made but it isn't very scary or unsettling. The "OMG SCARIEST MOVIE EVER" acclaim is very misleading.

Babadook fuxking sucked

babadadook was one of the very few pure psychological horror movies, that didn't feel the need to have scary monster faces or jump scares. I admire the movie for that.

>modern

that movie is 10 years old, bub

>babadook
>horror
It was decent, but certainly not horror. It's a shame it was and considering the article, still is advertised as horror.

I don't understand how you can appreciate Silent Hill and like shit like the babadook

keep trying

Even then, those horror movies are 6/10 at best.

Horror has like 10 good movies and those movies aren't good because of the horror aspect.

>
If I had to give it a number grade it'd be 4-5/10. Worth checking out only to see what the fuss is all about, but not worth anyone's time really. The kind of film that you should watch only if you catch it playing on TV and have nothing better to do.

I can agree with that.

I liked how they kept the monster, even though "he can never leave" is kinda stupid. I like the darker scenes when he's in the house and she is going crazy. Yelling at her son, etc.
Of course, liking doesn't mean I think it's necessarily GOOD. Your rating of 4-5 is fine.

I want to do terrible things to heather

>elevate it to another level
I don't get this, there certainly hasn't been another horror film as critically acclaimed as The Exorcist or Silence of the Lambs.
There hasn't been another horror film as visually striking as Suspiria or The Shining.
There hasn't been psycological thrillers as well crafted as Rosemary's Baby or Psycho.
Every modern indie slasher and gore films try hard to imitate the 70s-80s era.
Not to mention there hasn't been another horror movie as creative as Poltergeist or Hausu.
What's this so called another level?