Is gold or silver a good investment, Sup Forums?

Is gold or silver a good investment, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BjqzyqRz_Mc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No.

Gold stores value, such as when the USD plunges now that China has slowed its purchase of US debt. Our money is worthless paper printed by Jews. When the shit hits the fan, you may want gold rather than money, which, again, is worthless paper.

It isn't. At all.

While the cost of gold and silver goes up yearly due to taxes and inflation, the value stays the same. Gold has had the same value since like the 1970s.

Preppers try to argue it's the way to go. However, if there's ever a collapse in FIAT currency to the degree where it's rendered useless, nobody is going to exchange your gold value as all the services to do so will be unmanned. Moreover, nobody is going to know how much it's worth. You're better off just investing in goods in that case.

As far as a good investment, look into a IRA

Gold will always go up in price so yes. You can never go wrong with investing in gold, but it’s probably not going to make you as much money as investing in something like bitcoin or weed.

clueless
this guy knows

Both are if u have the money to invest. They only go up if u stick with it

>samefagging this hard
The absolute state of ya

It's not samefagging. It's just other educated people that know how to invest money.

I've got all of my money tied up in aluminum cans.

If you're going long term, go silver

Investing in virtually any commodity is stupid with the exception of maybe crytpo - but even then it's more of a gamble than a true investment.

If you're serious about making money, invest $5 dollars in "Investing For Dummies" and get a good idea of what you're doing before you start shelling out hard-earned cash on useless shit like gold and silver.

Yes, I can keep them safe for you, just send them here.

Stellar Lumens (XLM) $5 EOY.

Screencap this.

Best investment for 6-12 months.

Gold has been the/a standard since the Egyptians...History 101

Bitcrap is just that.

How do you know?

i dont know why people put value in gold. it's really not any better than paper money. i mean it's just a shiny metal. maybe ages ago it was great because it didn't rust like other metals, but seriously it's just shiny metal.

You want me to tell the secret? Hahaha.

I can only tell you that bought this shit at 1300 sats and HODLing hard all the time untis $5.

I would qualify your answer just a little. Gold and silver will always retain value even when the other mediums of exchange collapse. So keeping some of both is always good. As for stocking goods, your answer was only partially correct. The type of goods are as important as quantity. Ammo and non-perishable foods are best for what we refer to as ballistic wampum.

Gold is really heavy...

I can give you really fast for cheap.

The people on this forum are seriously fucking idiots. You literally have no idea what you're talking about, and have the audacity to post up a condescending little gifs.

The reason gold was the standard of history was because it didn't rust, it was rare, and it could be melted easier. That was also thousands of fucking years ago, and most developed nations aren't relying on the gold standard.

Seriously, if you think people are going to revert back to gold anytime soon, you have no idea how any of this works. Gold is a commodity - like firearms, art, wheelchairs - you name it. It has no intrinsic value besides what people are going to pay for it. Crypto is a commodity, but it's volatile enough that people have become millionaires overnight - which I'll remind you has never ever happened in the history of precious metals.

EVEN SO, crypto is still a commodity and should be seen as more of a gamble than an investment.

Open a book before you open your mouth next time.

And I see it used as metal or being delivered fast. Not fucking brick.

thank you. people like you are the reason i keep coming here i guess. that and the ass threads.

Yeah but, if you're in a country where this collapse happens, what are you going to do with this gold? Take it to an exchange? Go to the market and try to convince people to give you real goods like gasoline or water for your shiny rocks? Gold and silver are a scam that take advantage of gullible people. Even so, the likelihood of a total market collapse is so remote that you could easily just invest in more stable investments.

>. As for stocking goods, your answer was only partially correct. The type of goods are as important as quantity. Ammo and non-perishable foods are best for what we refer to as ballistic wampum.

Well obviously it goes without saying that, if you're investing in goods, you need to invest in something that people will be willing to trade for. Preppers get triggered, but ammo is honestly a lousy investment - especially if you're talking about after a collapse. People will only trade for ammunition in calibers that they have, and you have no idea what those calibers are going to be.

> Muh 5.56 tho

You still can't know there's always going to be a market for that.

Sure but you have to understand it.

Commodities in general are only good investments if you think they are under valued (gold and silver are not).

That said they are great stores of value. If you want to save for retirement and not have your savings eaten up by inflation they are just what you need.

Now in silvers case specifically it might be possible to extract a fear premium. Ie stock a few ozs per month then sell once people get scared the world is ending and drive up the price (happened about 5 years ago).

Also when looking to buy watch the daily spot price for a few months until you see a good dip before you buy, and make sure you avoid the pumpers trying to convince you the world is ending or you should pay a premium for rounds with funny pictures of trump on them.

illuminatisilver on youtube is a good source for non-conspiritard info on the metal markets.

gold - eh
Silver - yeah sure, gotta be prepared for the inevitable werewolf apocalypse

And you are not allowed to go into outerspace to mine, so price won't drop.

Retards.

KEK Bitcoin has literally been plummeting and you still think crypto is the way to go?

I'll give you some investment advice, if you're not a felon or retard in a third world country, get your hands on as many guns as you can. Guns will NEVER go down in value from what you paid if you buy them used and in good condition.

If shit ever hits the fan, guns will always be more valuable than gold, or paper money. What will your etheriums get you if no one can get an internet connection?

Why have Russia and China been buying up so much gold in the past few years?

Yes.

But when the shit hits the fan, there will be no more cryto and you will be another fat fuck with nothing to trade.

Gold because it's a soft metal that can be used in electronics as well as still being something that's pretty to look at that people still covet in jewelry and other trinkets.
>But if you have a substantial amount of money, do some research and instead purchase a warehouse and stock it with commonly used metal building materials.
The closer you are to construction companies the more you can charge due to convenience and unlike precious metals people will always need to build shit. Once you make some overhead, branch out and purchase new locations within a 200 mile radius in order to service the same companies and give them little reason to get their materials from other suppliers even if they're doing jobs in other states. Invest in those 18 wheel flat beds with the portable forklift that's attached to the back to save them time and you'lll have a leg up on the competition...kinda...it's a new world.....new shit comes out all the time so stay up to date.

Gold is a reliable store of value.

You should invest 10% of your portfolio in gold/silver.

But if you go all in and make it 100%, you are an idiot.

Cause they love big golden dicks

electronics and how it's used inside them.
they'll be middle men to any project of any technological significance in the future
which is why if the US is smart it'll invest money in the rapid development of graphene in order to keep the value of gold in check.
>Imagine if you wanted to make something world changing but you had to put it up for review with the people you're purchasing the necessary materials from or if they didn't require a review but instead access to it's earliest iterations.
You think rigging an election's bad, wait til you go to buy the new VR phone and it's been hacked by the time the first one's out so that all of our politicians are under thumb due to everyone having one and Russia's already learned how to gain remote access to em.

This seriously fucking stupid 13 year old nonsense.

You didn't read what I wrote about crypto at all. I said it was a volatile gamble and that you shouldn't invest in it. You just read the word "crypto" and assumed I supported it like a reactionary little faggot - which is precisely why you think firearms are a good investment.

And yes, firearms do go down in value - even if you buy them in used / good condition. They go down in value every time there's a republican president, and go back up again every time a democrat gets into office. Plenty of people try to invest in firearms, only to find it's just like every other commodity. The only difference is there's an insane amount of regulation, and they're not as easy to sell as you might want to believe. In fact, mass shootings have happened so often that they don't even really affect the price anymore. There's an abundance of firearms and they're not presently undervalued, so the idea of using them as an investment just shows a lack of knowledge in this area.

On a side note, all this fear-mongering and crying about how the world is going to end is just a culture of paranoia propagated by business owners who want to sell you crap you don't need, and the gullible consumerist public is more than happy to eat it up. Do you really want something of value for when SHTF? Just buy a ton of fucking clean water and Mountain House #10 cans. You can't eat bullets. Most people shilling the gun stuff don't even know how to hunt, skin, or clean an animal. Even still, most hunters in the America understand hunting as sitting in a deer stand and hoping a deer walks in front of them while they're awake. So what are you going to do? Eat bullets? Firearms are not a survival necessity, it's just that Americans can't imagine a world without them because they've been bred this culture of insane fear.

I have a ton of guns and a decent amount of ammo stored up, but the idea of that as an "investment' is laughable.

>money is worthless paper
>shiny rock is where the real value is!

>As far as a good investment, look into a IRA

>LOL U THINK CRYPTO IS A GOOD INVESTMENT HAHAHA

One reasonable dude in this thread, and nobody even actually reads what he wrote.

You must've been like beaten by your Grandmother while she was wearing a strap on and sodomizing your grandfather because you appear to be one of the people on here that just goes from thread to thread inserting some form of a penis or homosexual act into every conversation even when it's not even remotely relevant.
>also that's racist
>and I think gold might be too soft a metal for that
>unless it was like cast iron or something and it's just gold plated.

Our economy is going to collapse. They're crashing our dollar on purpose. Buy all the gold and silver as you can get, but make sure you have enough paper currency to get through, but when paper currency crashes. Gold and Silver will save your life. Going to happen sooner, not later. It's happening now.

Source: Alex Jones

I'm more of a Bill Cooper guy myself. Read a book. You might learn something.

Gold and silver can be a part of your complete investment breakfast, Billy.

Precious metals typically rise and fall the opposite to the stock market. Stocks go up, metals go down. Stocks drop, metals rise. Typically... there are often exceptions, but that's how it usually works.

Most people recommend 15% MAX of your investment funds go into precious metals.

IMPORTANT- if you buy gold or silver make SURE you can actually HOLD the metal in your hand... physical silver, physical gold. There's literally more gold and silver bought and sold than is in the market now. A lot is on "paper" and you can get burned.

You can't eat gold, so no. If you want something assuming things continue on like now, get an ira. If you want something for when shit hits the fan get a mossberg 590a1 with a bunch of no. 4 buck.

Oh please, spare me. You're seriously here name dropping a loser like Bill Cooper and being condescending about it. You might as well reference Glenn Beck of Barney the Dinosaur.

You conspiracy retards are all alike. You're sitting here condescending to people on this forum about how you have some special insight on a plan about what "they" are going to do. Who is "they?" The jews? Big Banks? How does it at all profit the rich and powerful to make all their fucking investments worthless? If you're rich and powerful enough in this society to crash currency, you have no need to totally destroy it and jeopardize your investment.

If even if one small group could crash the value of the dollar, how is gold and silver going to help you? You're seriously going to go to central market where everyone is trading and try to convince them to take your shiny rocks? So tell me this high speed, when people are starving and we've reverted to a trader / hunter /gatherer society, how many ounces of shiny rocks does it take to get five gallons of gasoline? Nobody is going to want that shit. All of the resources you can use to turn those metals into anything else will be rendered worthless.

Your delusional fantasy notwithstanding, if this super uber powerful group is going to crash the market, do you think they're going to let you compete with their power with all your silver and gold?

Trying reading an actual econ textbook instead of dropping a conspiracy theorist that isn't even on Glenn Beck level.

This is pathetic and sad.

>>>>(((((They're)))))
Back to Sup Forums

What's that comic?

More like /x/. This user has written of the most asinine things I've ever read on Sup Forums.

One thing I'll add... I said "typically". There's 2 times to pay attention to when metals and the stock market go up or down together-

When they both go up over time, the economy is ROARING. Get in early.

When both go down over time... GET YOUR FUCKING MONEY OUT. NOW. The economy is crashing.

Sup Forums is just /x/ with flags.

This isn't even accurate. Like another user said, the value of gold has been the same since like the 1970s. The price can go up, but only steadily with taxes and inflation.

Basically that means the price of gold goes up as the dollar depreciates, but not enough to change it's value.

Ferals by Avatar Press.

Not a great comic by any means but its a fun violent gory comic.

no

No.

The good investments now are Guns, Ammo, Canned food, and non-genetically modified Seeds.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The guy drove around chasing aliens and who opened fire on sherrif's deputies when they served him a warrant for not paying his income taxes?

You're a fucking idiot and I hope you die in a a fire.

Kek

Bullshit. Silver hit $80 around 1980. It languished around $5 in the 90s. Shot up to around $40 in 2010. Learn history... it existed before you were a freshman.

>"B-B-But the price changed"

Yeah, the price changed with bitcoin too. You're still investing in a commodity, and you have no way to track it's value. It's not a stable investment.

There are literally hundreds of stable investments that give great returns. 401ks, IRAs, Money mutual funds, hedge funds, trust funds, real estate, business, stocks, bonds, and you're sitting here investing in shiny rocks. Nobody got wealthy off of precious metals besides the people running the companies that sell it to uninformed people like you.

You really need to get some perspective.

700% increase on your initial investment after 30 years?

Yeah man, it sure sounds like you know how to make money.

Also, like said, the price fluctuates but the value stays stable. It can be worth more money, but that means the money is less valuable.

I guess you missed the part where I said 15% MAX of your portfolio in metals.

>Bought in at an average of $8/oz
>Sold at $39/oz
>35 ounces
>$1000 profit
>Reinvested in biomedical stocks

Again, no more than 15% MAX. You guys seem to keep missing that part.

goldmoney. com ur welcome.

youtube.com/watch?v=BjqzyqRz_Mc

what do you do with your 200g of gold when you want to eat bread. or go shopping.
theres no way keeping gold at home would feed you through a real crisis

Gold is but silver isn't because silver you have to pay 25percent VAT!!! So your never make money unless silver rockets in price

You don't even realize what you're saying you moron.

You're trying to say gold is worthless with out fiat currency to compare it to, and that's the stupidest fucking thing anyone has ever said about gold.

Or you could spend that 15% on an actual stable investment like a diversified portfolio in stuff that consistently out performs the rest of the market.

You might have gotten lucky and made some cash, but to try and pass it off like that's representative of the commodity is stupid. Even so, $1000 is not very much money - even if it's 15% of your investment.

How long was the time period between your initial investment and when you cashed it out? A 401k matching 3% will give the average person over $1000 is less than four or five months.

>You're trying to say gold is worthless with out fiat currency to compare it to.

It is though.

>, and that's the stupidest fucking thing anyone has ever said about gold.

No, the stupidest thing anyone said about gold is when you came in here saying it was a good investment because the price went up, even though the value stayed the same.

you didn't do that but ok faggot.

I never said it was 15% of MY portfolio... currently, I have about a pound of silver that I bought at $11/oz. Silver's at $17 now. My portfolio is currently valued at about $45,000... and that's a 30% jump since this time last year. So, metals are less than 1% of my investments.

Yes. Totally unbelievable that someone spent $280 on something.

shit will hit the fan when gold resources will be depleted - 40 - 50 years then it will rapidly gain in value
well gold value always rise either way

Yeah but it's still not a stable or good investment.

Let's say you make 50k a year, which is 1923.20 biweekly.

Let's say you invested in a 401k that matches even 3%.

3% of your paycheck is $57.70. So you'll have $115.40 in your 401k every two weeks.

You'd have matched that $1000 in less than 5 months - not including the compounding interest you'd be making on it in there.

I grant you there are downsides to a 401k, but just saying there are more stable investments than silver.

Don't invest in precious metals it's not worth it get a mutual fund

Most of my portfolio is on an IRA. The rest is in Franklin Templeton investment funds.

You're all missing my point...which is that metals are NOT a good investment. You SHOULD have a little as a hedge instrument, but the keyword is LITTLE.

If it's a prepper situation that you're worried about then Invest in something that will tremendously spike in value once shit hits the fan ie guns bullets water MREs marketable skills ect
Source my family is a bunch of crazy Preppers

Yeah but it's still not a stable or good investment.

Let's say you make 50k a year, which is 1923.20 biweekly.

Let's say you invested in a 401k that matches even 3%.

3% of your paycheck is $57.70. So you'll have $115.40 in your 401k every two weeks.

You'd have matched that $1000 in less than 5 months - not including the compounding interest you'd be making on it in there.

I grant you there are downsides to a 401k, but just saying there are more stable investments than silver.

This.

No, I understand your point clearly. Your point is that you should invest a small amount of your wealth into them as a hedge instrument.

I grant you that's not as stupid as the guys who think it's going to save them from the apocalypse or whatever, but you could just as easily hedge that money in something more stable.

That's all my point is. There's virtually no redeeming qualities about precious metals that aren't outperformed by other, more responsible investments.

In fact, for the last year, you're really missing out on a lot of stock and bonds wealth if you fiddled and farted around with gold and silver. The market has been doing insanely well.

I've had my silver for awhile... well before the current market boom. And, they're in old coins. Their numismatic value is far higher than their silver content... but in really bad times, their metal value will always be there. Currently, I put 20% of my gross income into my investments, plus a matching 4% from my employer. I'm doing fine.

It isn't an 'investment'. It's a store of value or hedge. It's what rich people buy to protect their wealth in times of economic crisis and threat of hyper-inflation (when paper money is worth less than toilet paper, gold more or less retains its value).

>you have no idea what those calibers are going to be.

9mm is a pretty safe bet. I have a few thousand rounds. Wouldn't call myself a prepper, though. If the shit hits the fan, I'll use my guns to take what I need or get killed trying.

Is it better than bitcoin

Of course. World governments are about to fuck cryptocurrencies and the people who trade them right up the ass with two chainsaws and a dick.

Bitcoin lost 25% in recent weeks. You tell me.

I am going to cum buckets that day.

Not so much their stupidity, that can be forgiven but how smug some of them are.

Not an investment. A way to preserve wealth. If you don't understand the distinction, dont buy it. You'll only set yourself up for stress.

This guy knows.

This guy's got it

The long and the short of it is this, investments with dividends and or the ability to compound interest are always going to be a better investment than a static investment that can only be purchased from you are a later date by someone who wants it more than you.

Exclusions to this include objects that are exceedingly rare, such as art, some consumer objects of great quality that are no longer made, such as guns, and elements that exist in very limited quantity

Crypto is not a commodity dumbass. Show me the commodity backing crypto. Point to it. I'll wait.

I'll say this... when you see the markets starting to fall, and you have some discretionary cash, buy some silver. Don't use your investment money, use your entertainment money. Silver should rise up in response to the falling market and you can make a little short term cash.

There are cycles where it is better to buy silver at certain points. The ratio of its price to that of gold has a sweet spot where silver is quite undervalued. That is the time to strike.

The person who made this image is an absolute drooling tard. A kilo of gold would be nearly half the size of a kilo of silver but the tard put them the same size.

Show me the comodity backing gold...
Crypto is THE comodity.

>trading paper with no actual value besides what the government tell us, for the thing that is supposedly what our paper is a representative of.
Of course it's a good investment dilumbass.

This.

Mostly, it's s hedge against inflation. That means they will hold their value (more or less) in terms of buying power.

So if today $17 buys you 5 loaves of bread and one bar of silver, maybe in 5 years you need $30 to buy the same things. The bar of silver is still worth 5 loaves of bread.

The catastrophists among us will have you believe they will be the only currency. BS.

Buy it is the piece is pretty or has some meaning, and yes it's nice to have some. But it s not an investment.

Technically it can be an investment... in terror and instability. Everyone something extreme happens the price in gold increases. I think the charle Hebdo attack caused a 5% increase, while the death of Osama had the opposite effect. Gold also has a negative correlation to the US dollar.

Wow... just wow..
The autism is strong in this one.

You would be better of learning how to farm and make things from wood. Then you could sell your service for what you need.

That idea is gonna work for all of a whole day.

Clearly, you have the money to invest some of it poorly, but that doesn't mean it isn't a poor investment.

Do you realize how many people feel that way though? It's not a smart investment.

Shit won't it the fan but, if it does, your 9mm rounds won't save you. You can't eat bullets. Most people will be brutally unprepared, so they'll have nothing for you to rob. Stores will be ransacked in a matter of hours.

People just buy guns and ammo because they like it or to feel macho, and they lie to themselves that its a great investment. Prepper mistake #1 is having a ton of guns and ammo.

If you're serious about SHTF, get water and dehydrated food.

...except when it loses value, or it's value doesn't keep up with inflation.

>Whew, lad