Does dark music lead to a dark personality?

If you're one to really internalize and to be in tune with the lyrics, the message, the mood, and the overall intention of the music you're listening to, can this affect your behaviour or even get to change your personality over time? I'm growing sort of concerned that listening to darker or more negative music is making me a darker or more negative person. Is this possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb9lFKLuq0g
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pzEmSkF0n4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh9Vt02hvkI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably more the other way around I think

No but somehow it makes you smell a little worse with every new band

If there is already an underlying problem, it's possible.

I find that in order to get into the mindset to write dark, or aggressive music, I generally wind up listening to the lighter end of jazz and classical to sort of cleanse my palate, while still getting some material to plagiarise.

When I'm a little overwhelmed by negative emotion, I find that something in that vein helps center me.

>I'm growing sort of concerned that listening to darker or more negative music is making me a darker or more negative person. Is this possible?
no its your own ego's doing. not the music
i've been listening to black metal and post-punk for about 7 years(even had a band that ended after 2 months)
hard to prove on Sup Forums. but most ppl find me cheerful and sarcastic optimistic.

the darkest personalities i've met were fans of top 40 and edm.
i think ppl fall for the soccer mom mentality and boil us humans down to a simple minded thinking. if you're already in a dark place then maybe the stereotype around this music can push you to the edge. but overall i don't think so.

no

You pick the music you listen to, the music doesn't pick you. If you already like that kind of music and your personally starts getting darker and darker, you might gravitate towards darker music.

I'm precisely trying to find out if, by willfully listening to dark music, you become a darker person than you already were before you made the choice to get into such music. The actual resulting, (possibly) lasting effect of the music listening is what I'm interested in, or the possibility of there even being such an effect, not really whether or not it's voluntary.
>no its your own ego's doing. not the music
How can you be so sure of this? Just because it hasn't happened to you? People are different. I'd dare to say that also applies to the examples of acquaintances you brought up in your post: what you're saying may well be true, but it doesn't (or shouldn't) have to be true for everyone per se, should it?

i think you look for art to help w/ ur mental state

>How can you be so sure of this? Just because it hasn't happened to you?
because the guy who killed all those ppl in las vegas wasn't listening to fucking burzum
same with those terrorists and other murderers.
even the so called edgy kids who do school shootings always listen to the most softest entry lvl "dark" music. like marilyn manson or some shit.

Look if you wanna force yourself to believe that dark music is going to make you self-destructed. go ahead

Sounds like you need to get funding for a study.

I'm not trying to force myself to believe anything, I am merely wondering about something. Nobody's forcing you to participate in this discussion. That being said, the examples you provided are but casual occurrences that, as you yourself said, have nothing to do with the music. We do not get to find out about how many people end their lives over DSBM, for example. If you care so much about facts though, how about the increase in church burnings that went on in the 90s in Norway? You can also be a negative person without having to act out on it. You're merely focusing on a single aspect of the initial inquiry.
Just trying to spark a conversation.

No, what else are you gonna ask? if video games turns you into a serial killer? That dark music makes you a satanist?
If only k-pop turned me into a cute k-pop girl

>I'm not trying to force myself to believe anything, I am merely wondering about something.
then do what the other guy said. and study yourself for 6 months listening to nothing but dark music. ask your friends and family to see if you've had changed. would be better than theory crafting on Sup Forums

>i think ppl fall for the soccer mom mentality and boil us humans down to a simple minded thinking

The other week I heard a talk radio host (I won't say who it was) proposing we need to revive the old Motion Picture Production Code from the 1930s-50s that censored anything edgy or lewd in movies because the shit today is too degenerate and it would set off unstable people.

It's very very very easy and knee-jerk to fall into this Simpsons "PLEASE THINK OF THE CHIIILLLLDREEEN" mindset but I don't think watching the Saw movies has any effect on a serial killer's decision to go out and butcher anyone. In fact I agree more with Moe Howard when he said "If your kid is a nut, he's gonna be a nut regardless of whether he's seen it on TV or not."

darkness is fucking meaningless, just listen to whatever crazy shit you want

yeah this music is just some shit hitting your ears its not some crazy mind altering expereince

If I listen to Temple of Baal, I just find the music so ludicrously over-the-top that it's funny. I have never once had the desire to sacrifice and eat any newborn babies as an offering to the Dark Lord.

It's the same with video games, too. People always use the medium as a scapegoat to justify people's "psychotic behavior," when most of the time, it's always the person who caused the problem.

To draw a parallel, say a person left a bottle of water near his MacBook Pro, then proceeded to leave. While leaving, another mysterious person enters the room, for no "apparent" reason. The original person enters back in, only to see a shortened out MacBook soaked in water...and the mysterious person next to it. Who do you think is to blame: the water bottle miraculously soaking the MacBook, or the mysterious person who entered the room?

Never got the appeal of black metal, but since i am an depressive alcoholic it is the only music i am listening to now.

that jerk who fucked over my macbook

The person who left the water bottle standing next to the MacBook.

The thing is I've already done that for some years now, and people do say I've changed. Didn't do it for the sake of experimentation, but because I legitimately enjoy the music. I myself notice I've changed. The thing is I don't know why, so that's part of the reason why I'm trying to sort out the music itself as being partly (if at all) accountable for it.

Listening to metal and its edgy lyrics has certainly helped me in being open to denouncing my christian upbringing, which in turn led to being more open minded in general and having a total disregard for political correctness. Hard truth, logic and reason above all. I guess being accepting of the way things are (instead of denying reality and living in a fantasy world like most people) naturally made me pretty dark and nihilistic.

this better be bait
I was like that when I was 13 and I discovered powerwolf or some shit

Yeah it came off more edgy than I meant.
I mean, I listened to metal and noticed the people in the metal scene were nice people, while church people were telling me metal was evil and satanic. That made me go hmmm which ultimately led me to the conclusion that religion is just hogwash to exert control over gullible people.
Not that christian values are bad. They're mostly okay. I don't hate religious people (except muslims), but I do hate religion itself, and those who use it as a tool to gain power over others.

i fuck with you user

Yes and biggie smalls made me sell drugs and tyler the creator made me homophobic

Happens often

If you want it to because you romanticize darkness and think you'll look a like deeper person, then sure.

That's the point. This is the answer I was looking for.

I'd say that it's about the same as with reading, you're susceptible to taking on certain aspects of a story if you're heavily invested in it

Agreed, basically. So, moving on further from that standpoint, could it then be said that there's a personal component as well as the influence the music itself has and that both of those make for the resulting influence on each individual? Do you believe it then to be a 50/50 case?

Quite the opposite actually. I like to listen to DSBM when I'm feeling really down, it's therapeutic or some shit. Kinda like when stacies listen to ed sheeran when chad didn't call them back at night.

I used to be like that when I first started listening to that type of music. That soon changed, though.

Not the guy you were replying to (I'm ) but I think the way music affects people is different for everyone. For some, like me, indulging in a certain feeling (or non-feeling, for example depression) helps with dealing with it. Then again when I'm having a particularly good day I won't tend to listen to DSBM but rather something else, not particularly happy or anything but not something at the lower end of the mood spectrum. However I'm sure that for some it's the opposite, that they'd listen to really happy, upbeat music when feeling down. If i'd do that, you'd have another elliott rodger case in the news that evening.

How long have you been listening to BDSM for?

How long have you been listening to DSBM for?

Can't pinpoint it exactly, I've been listening to metal for about 10 years now on and off, I'd say two years for black metal in general and maybe a year for DSBM.

I would say that it's more a reflection of you than something that shapes you as a person. You look for something to identify with in the music.

Okay. My recommendation (if you care) is to not overdo it. Personally, it ended up having an adverse effect.
So you propose the music has 0 effect on the listener?

>So you propose the music has 0 effect on the listener?
Not at all, I just don't think it's as significant as the OP describes. OP describes an actual change in personality from the music that you listen to.
Not every person looks for something to identify with in the music, but often people do, it touches them on a direct emotional level. A dark person might be attracted to dark music because of that. But I don't think a person would be all ditzy normie and somehow make a gradual descent into edgedom from listening to thrash metal.

The question is then, can a somewhat sad person become even sadder by listening to sad music?

> Personally, it ended up having an adverse effect.

As in, dsbm worsened your depression?

Yeah. But that comes from the person's connection that he makes with the music, not the music itself, is what I'm trying to say.

Paul Simon's Graceland is a super sad album about a terrible breakup and subsequent life crisis, but it always cheers me up. I also always listen to it when I'm feeling down because of my own past relationship.

>can this affect your behaviour or even get to change your personality over time?

Normies have being trying, and failing, to prove this for years.

If not that directly, I just couldn't listen to it without feeling like shit at one point.
Respectable outlook.

You guys are gonna laugh at me, but fuck it. When I put on Drake, I really do find attracting and fucking women a lot easier.

First time I listened to a full dsbm album I was depressed for several days after & kinda saw the people around me as cynical self-serving bags of meat. Hadn't had those particular sentiments before so I felt that it was brought on at least in part by the music - of course I had to be open to having that sort of experience happen to me in the first place, but I decided that music was the trigger

I find it odd but also fascinating that such a feeling could appeal to people, but at the same time I'm aware that dsbm almost certainly doesn't affect everyone in that way

To each their own.
I actually can say I shared that sentiment when I was really into DSBM.

Music can make you feel something, but it can't make you something unless you're part of a music culture like hip-hop, EDM, Punk, or Goth, in which case it makes you a member. If you feel like you're becoming negative then it's a you problem that's reacting negatively to something, amd the music is helping you realize that. Also "dark" is nebulous, dark can sad, depressing, or edgy, but can also be funny, light hearted, and beautiful.
For example:

Beautiful: m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb9lFKLuq0g

Light-hearted:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pzEmSkF0n4

Funny:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh9Vt02hvkI