maths edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XNwE02gBBXI
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher
youtube.com/watch?v=rbA84UgMqGY&feature=youtu.be&t=8
youtu.be/JylLQpjJ4LQ
twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/791940973404098560
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's a Jenna's blatant crush on Peter episode.

/who/ is kill, even with a spinoff airing.

Last thread, will give it a go

What happened?

Fuck knows what happened.

Started another thread, but was too late. /Who/res are polite and stick with the earliest one.

>tfw to intelligent for Doctor Who

>As if 2 actors working together have never been attracted to each other.

Fuck sake, piss off shippers. We had enough of that with the Ten/ Rose shit.

THIS IS THE VOICE OF LIGHT CITY
WELCOME TO YOUR NEW WORKDAY
TODAY IS HIGH PRODUCTIVITY DAY
YOUR STATE LOVES YOU
HAPPINESS THROUGH ACCEPTANCE

Fucking Malcolm Tucker

What are you listening to /who/?
youtube.com/watch?v=XNwE02gBBXI

To the person asking me last thread about Joyride, and whether Ram has gay sex in it, all I'll say is that in the book, people can take over teen's bodies and do whatever they want, and let you fill in the gaps. Just like Ram's body ends up doing.

>hindu
>good at soccer/football

I think he's Sikh. Is that Hinduism? No, right? (Honestly asking.)

Anyone want any info on the Class novels?

Lads, is Margaret Thatcher canon in the Doctor Who universe?

Sure why not

No, it's Sikhism.

That didn't take long.

Fucking heck, lads. Fucking heck.

Unfortunately, yes - Ten mentions her a couple of times
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher

>Escape to LA
The Oswald plot is definitely the best part of this. His attempts to out-attention whore the Tea Party woman are priceless. The Torchwood plot is pretty shaky in this one. I'm really starting to wonder how they afford all the disguises and shit. Just how much cash do they have on them? Surely they can't draw from their bank accounts when they're wanted fugitives? Also Rex rips Ester a new one for visiting her family member in LA and how it jeopardized the mission when he did they exact same fucking thing. It also seems like the plot is going nowhere fast, since the last few episodes haven't brought us any information about what caused the Miracle or (I think) who sent out the Torchwood emails that somehow drew Jack back to Earth.

>The Categories of Life
This actually seems to be getting pretty good. It's kind of like Children of Earth from the opposite perspective. Instead of seeing politicians struggle to make unthinkable decisions in a time of crisis, that all happens offscreen and we find out about them from the POV of the people directly affected by those decisions. I wasn't that sold on Colin as a character at first. Honestly I think he had a point that Vera was being unrealistic in her expectation of what was possible in this situation and making him sort of a creep was just a way to delegitimize his points so we agree with Vera's outrage, but when he finally went off the deep I think end he became more compelling. I guess I'm a fan of "making a terrible snap decision like killing someone and then realizing how bad you fucked up and desperately trying to hide it" plots. Oswald's speech scene is pretty good too, although I find it hard to imagine the phrase "great leap forward" playing well as propaganda at any time in the near future. Also
>Hillary Clinton exists in the Doctor Who universe
Fuck.

I'll have to break this into three parts. One for each book, plus an overall notes.

What She Does Next Will Astound You by James Goss

Starts off as a riff on the social media craze (with one character I couldn't help but imagine as Pewdiepie). Midway through, it transforms into a riff of Ender's Game, and a deconstruction of the “teens are used to fight alien invaders” plot. Obviously, that's a deconstruction of Class itself, but it also reminded me of Power Rangers (which is funny, since Class has reminded me of Power Rangers for a while.) Even though it's April who's on the back blurb, this is more of an ensemble piece. Every character gets a chance to shine. Matteuz ended up being a character who I, surprisingly, liked the most. He gets great lines, balancing out Charlie's alienness well. Charlie and Quill's relationship gets a lot of development as well, as one specific event changes their status quo for a while. Concerning April, she gets put through hell, and a few passages involving her actually disgusted me. Ram's trauma, and his leg, also gets development. This wasn't the book with my favorite Ram characterization, but it is the one with the most in-depth look into his head. (Weirdly, his POV book Joyride isn't either one of those.)

Joyride by Guy Adams

This book is probably my least favorite of the three. Not that it was bad, but it was the one where it's hard to remember specific events. There's a standout sequence where Miss Quill has to accost a drunk April, and a scene where one of the group is surrounded by three other friends who are possessed, which is one of the real times the characters feel in danger. Ram does get to show his smarts in this one, and quite a few times the plot uses the Joyride concept to pull off something interesting. There's quite a bit of development to the villains, but it feels like it's at the expense of the main characters. Actually, the villains' plot is actually rather clever, and feels like something a person might do if alien tech were real, and they were unscrupulous enough.

Also, the novel spoils the end of episode 2, and is clearly meant to take place after What She Does Next Will Astound You, even though the characterization feels off (Ram feels like he's more friendly, and spent more time with, the group in What She Does Next, than in this book. Also, he's a lot friendlier with his dad. If it wasn't for that reference to ep 2, I'd think it's between Ep 1 and Ep 2, based on characterization.

Now, I haven't read The Stone House all the way, so I'll just give short notes. This one was written by A.K. Benedict

Out of all the books, this is the one that feels like it's made for the character on the book. It's still a book with an ensemble, but Tanya is one with the main focus. It's her drive that continues the plot, and it's Tanya who looks like she'll be in the most danger.

-Ram is hilarious in this. He's basically a jerk to everyone, but it's a loving version of a jerk. He's very comfortable with the group now, and Tanya and him are clearly best friends, beneath the snark.

-Quill is the best. That is all.
-The monster feel properly spooky. And the mystery gets interesting, very quickly.

-Charlie and Matteuz don't feel properly characterized here. I think it's because bantering doesn't really suit those characters, the way it does someone like Ram or Miss Quill.

There's a big Doctor Who reference mentioned by Miss Quill, which works because in-universe, it's just another piece of weird alien gobblydegook to the kids.

Overall notes: Miss Quill is like Fitz Kreiner: she's a character who it's impossible to mess up. You can tell each author had fun writing her, and although they all focus on different aspects, she still seems like the same person. (Although I'm not sure if James Goss realized that Miss Quill understands Earth technology. She comes off as completely oblivious to Earth tech, specifically the Internet, in his book. Though it's implied part of that is just her messing with her students.)

You get the impression from these books that these children (and Miss Quill, unwillingly) are taking on the responsibility of being the defenders of the school. All have different opinions on this, of course, but it's clear that's the direction Class is taking them. You also get the impression that the alien incursions are a constant event at the school, though it's possible it just feels like it only feels like that to the characters.

-As far as the books are concerned, Matteuz, Charlie's boyfriend, is part of the official group. And it's great, as his lines, and Polishness, is always funny.

-It's interesting watching a normal group of kids have to deal with alien problems, without the Doctor there to save them. The danger feels even more real, as the closest thing to an adult is Miss Quill, and she really, depending on the author, either couldn't care less about the kids' problems, or would rather blow the kids' brains out, if she thought Charlie would let her get away with it.

Eh, it makes sense in context. And Ram technically isn't having the sex.

Just read it.

Post Who characters no one remembers.

rex the nigger was the worst character in that
the fact that he can barely act doesn't help

Titan really loves their lore, don't they?
>Marvel-comics-Rassilon
>classic-Rassilon
>Big-Finish-Rassilon
>Rtd-Rassilon
now if only the art was a little better.

What's the Doctor Who reference? Also what happens to April in WSDNWAY?

I actually remember those characters. Yep, those were some freaks.

What was RTD thinking?

>black woman General
Is this the Doctor's first return to Gallifrey since Hell Bent?

Miss Quill, when discussing how all aliens like hugs or something, makes a quick reference to how Daleks are an exception, and they would just kill you in response to anything you did. It's worded better than that in the actual book.

April, who has been fighting as a soldier in a constant battle against mysterious aliens, refuses to kill at one point, and tries to rebel against the mysterious captors of her and her fellow teen soldiers. She fails, and that night, while she's sleeping, a group of people (implied to be her fellow teen soldiers) come into her room, wrap her in her blanket so she can't see their faces I the dark room, and basically punch, kick, and beat the crap out of her while she's defenseless. And, for good measure, they throw a beheaded alien's head into her face, and she ends up nearly choking on alien blood. Then they leave the room, and when she comes out to the main room, all her fellow soldiers act like normal, like they didn't just beat her into submission, and then something else happens, which more or less makes clear that she's being taunted. It leaves her completely demoralized, and more or less stops her will to rebel.

Apparently.

>art was better

Thanks for that piece of comedy.

When was Wilson Fisk in Doctor Who?

Sabbath and Fisk probably would get along. They're both men who would consider themselves self-made to a degree, and both go up against opponents who are technically more powerful than them.

Also,

>not knowing all Marvel is part of the Whonisverse

Do you even Death's Head?

>bolding random words that don't need emphasis

what did literally every comic mean by this?

That sounds brutal.. it really sounds like something too important to happen in a tie-in novel, considering April would have PTSD symptoms that won't be shown in the TV series.

Thanks for the info on them though, sound better than I expected. Also how the fuck do you read so quickly, didn't they come out yesterday?

is there an actual answer to this? it's always perplexed me

I'm a quick reader, always have been. And yes, it's very brutal. And from what you learn about April's background in this novel, it's clear she already has PTSD. There's more to that car crash than it seems...let's just say there's a very good reason April and her dad aren't speaking.

I guess the Doctor's putting emphasis on those words.

>I guess the Doctor's putting emphasis on those words.
No, gallifrey_immigrant. Stay out of this discussion because you do not know what you're talking about.

By the car crash I refer to , I mean the one that crippled April's mother.

>.let's just say there's a very good reason April and her dad aren't speaking.
Just tell us what happens, I'm not going to read the novels and just care about information that would be relevant to the show.

What big finish must do it's to explora Tasha and Trenzalore stuff. All that scrapped Smith season that was cramped into "Time"

But he's totally right for once

rude

He fucked her but pulled out before she could finish and wouldn't eat her out.

youtube.com/watch?v=rbA84UgMqGY&feature=youtu.be&t=8

It'll probably be officially revealed in Episode 4, when April meets her father face to face, but her father intentionally crashed the car that April and her mom were driving with him in, in an attempted suicide. It isn't specified why he did that, though.

No, he's not THAT terrible.

>no April erotic fanfics yet

I guess I could do something about that.

she's a kid

>no BRIAN BLESSED Rassilon from Interference
Dropped.

there is no room on the Homeworld for filthy Faction-propaganda.

New series 10 monster revealed.

From the new Gatiss episode

More like Gatoss, Anónimo! Amirite?

BRING
DOCTOR
WHO
BACK
RIGHT
NOW

Is it ringing?

Ok ok we hear you.
We'll have a new episode for you in 2 months dealio?

;_;

youtu.be/JylLQpjJ4LQ

Tell me he'll come back ;_;

That's not Doctor Who. That's some CW show.

Is what ringing? Ears?Bells?Phones?

What the FUCK is happening to Sup Forums? First the big ass ads, then pop up ads and now fucking posts that don't identify a (You) meaning you can't see if someone's replied to you? This is the end.

But has the moment been prepared for?

The whole Cloister.

>watched the first episode of Class
Do I hate the Doctor now? I used to think he was cool.

There are other chans. Only really have experience with 8ch an. There's a couple of boards to choose from there. Id probably go wherever desu senpaitachi so long as its got muh /who/res.
That got rung earlier if you know what I mean.

in part meant for

Why would you hate him?

I need to see him be cool and interesting and not just a wisecracking asshole.

>Doctor Who was good. Remember.

so what you're saying is...
Doctor Who is required?

I'm not part of ze war, I swear I never was

Kids like supra heros.

le wacky british man

>Doctor Who spinoff
>it's a man ass scene

Shadowmind: everyone seems to hate this book and I don't get why.
Sure, it isn't the most original novel ever written, but it does its job well enough.
The regulars are fine, Ace gets the most focus for the fourth book in a row (I guess everyone wanted to explore the 'new' Ace). A lot of criticism comes from the way the Doctor works closely with the military, but none of his actions struck me as out of character given the circumstances.
One thing I've noticed about many NAs (especially from The Highest Science onwards) is that they try to introduce all the characters early on, even the ones that aren't a part of the action of the story yet, with the result that the start of the book kerps cutting between characters we don't yet know or care about. But once the first few chapters are out of the way, Shadowmind moves along at a very nice pace, with some good action scenes along the way.
However, it's the kind of story that you probably won't remember anything about a couple of months after having read it: the plot, the setting and everything else about it are generic.
More than any other book so far, this feels like the NAs on autopilot, but the NAs on autopilot are still fairly decent. I enjoyed it more than White Darkness (I think I overrated that one slightly, it probably deserved a 5). 6/10.

What's /who/ doing for Halloween? Anyone have any fancy dress parties?
Have any of the thorax crew mentioned anything about a special stream? If they don't have other plans and don't mind we can pack it into thorax? I've yet to ask them I might be being rude.
I think maybe watching that Jon Pertwee Vampire flick might be cool, I don't know if it would be available to stream though. Could watch some spoopy cybermen in 10th or tomb r-right fellas and xirs? Any interest in something like this or am I a big dumb möngö?

Freezing to death in countryside.

It's all still going on, for me it never stops. I could help Rose Tyler with her homework.

Buying sweets for kids I know won't come so I'll end up eating them all myself while watching shite on netflix

That sounds awful. Bring a coat and some matches or a lighter to summon fire for warmth. I use those instant hand/foot warmers when I'm out with the horses. A handful of those in well placed areas keep me toasty and they're pretty inexpensive. Why are you hanging out in the countryside freezing? Doing some freelance clowning?
Be the fifth beatle even.

I'll probably end up doing the same. Don't get many if any trick or treaters. The schools here do lame ass trunk or treating all week before halloween. Like handing out candy to kids in dark parking lots full of kids screaming bloody murder with trunks/boots and the backs of windowless vans already open, and somehow it's more safer than the neighborhood canvasing variety.

nigga dats kawaii

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/791940973404098560

See? This was Ness' own little show from start to finish. He never intended it to be anything Doctor Who-related.

When are we going to have any viewing figures for Class?

That one's easy: 57

What time does the next episode of class air in the UK? Last week was a special promo thing and it'll be different from now on right?