Why is

Why is
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PP_bi1heQ
more captivating than
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MshUFnfEfeA

because dream theater is garbage

>Slint : Music
>Dream Theater: m muh technical skillz

There's nothing wrong with liking dream theater. You cherry picked an instrumental intended to showcase their virtuosity. Not really a fair comparison.

>comparing indie garbage to superior progressive metal that transcends musical genres
top pleb

Fuck slunt.

>You cherry picked an instrumental intended to showcase their virtuosity.
That's the point......
How is this virtuosity so much less potent than anything Slint is doing.
If I would pick any other song. It would have proved my point more.
Oh well.......

I prefer Slint because I prefer visualizations I get from their music and that style in general. However, Dream Theather can be entertaining in their own right, but as art, they're not a unique experience.

They made arguably the best concept album outside of the golden age of prog

Also. I'm not saying or even implying liking Dream Theater is bad.
I think they have some duds but they're pretty solid.

To each their own. That song is literally mathematically designed to be nearly as complex as possible. Its not even the beat dt instrumental (stream of consciousness has a better overall feel). If you really want to give them an honest shake, try six degrees of inner turbulence, the whole track.

Even the end of the portnoy era had 1 or 2 good tracks per album. The first album with mangini was actually a good return to form for them, but its been lackluster since them. Octavarium was their last great album but even writinf just one great 10 minute plus track is an accomplishment in itself.

I think their music isnt distinct enough for it to be a unique experience. Also, Dream Theater didnt start until after the golden age of prog (1970s) unless progressive Metal has a different timeline.

fucking quality kek right here

Reminder that Scaruffi gave Images and Words 8/10

I think its safe to say theyre the biggest or most influential prog metal band and within the genre at least the certainly jave a very unique sound (or HAD when mikey p was still callin shots)

Sup Forums plebs can't into actual art music as proven by this thread
Can't think of a more laughable fact than more than half of this board doesn't even listen to classical music at all.

Thats because its actually a 10/10 and the beat prog rock album since the 1970s

Show yourself the door and dont forget your fedora on the coatrack

Prog Metal (or at least DTs take on it), isnt very distinct from Prog Rock to begin with. Arguably Meshuggah is a far more unique take on Prog than anything DT ever did. You could easily say DT is just Yes with heavier tones. King Crimson had been "out-progging" them a decade before they were even formed. Many DT songs are just long Trash Metal song in which the "prog" is questionable. I like DT btw.

The Bassline in Washer doesn't work tonally with the guitar.

In Dream Theater everything is neatly tied up as only one instrument, but sometimes a loosely-attached set of instruments is much more intricate to listen to.

Kek fair asessment, but meshuggah and dt are really apples in oranges. Petrucci has said in interviews they wanted to be yes or rush married to metallica.

Any who plays an instrument can at least appreciate dream theater

Also, I don't how you cant compare both of these songs together.

Washer by Slint is a highly textural piece, where the 4 instruments plays the same rhythm with extremely different notes.

Dance of Eternity is a highly gestural piece, where the full ensemble works all together traveling through multiples rhythm and grooves.

I guess you prefer more textural pieces, that's all.

I'm indiffirent to DT but Slint is a whiney numale garbage.

I understand, I appreciate DT. But i think thats a reason why something like Slint is more captivating than most if not all of DTs work.

Its almost like...people have different tastes

Kinda a pointless comment considering the OP

DT is shit

Yore shit

It was in reference to your comment. Slint sounds like trash to me