Reminder that goth/post-punk is better than punk in almost every way

Reminder that goth/post-punk is better than punk in almost every way.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WCqaXfFJD9c
youtube.com/watch?v=NtnlvHxlgOE
youtube.com/watch?v=F4coUbDktPg
youtube.com/watch?v=iz1dH1NNTUw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In the flat field is closer to punk than either goth or post punk, it's trash.

I agree. Punk rock is just fast repetitive chords and yelling your political opinions.

I can see the punk angle but come on this is one of the biggest goth early 80s albums.

Define postpunk for us OP

You are correct, but this opinion really triggers Sup Forums for some reason.

that album is so underrated. idk how bands like joy division and the cure are so widely praised but bauhaus just got thrown under the bus somehow not to detract from joy division or the cure, but bauhaus deserve more attention. such a good band

Punk erasure is as tryhard as it gets, this generation of kids knows The Pop Group better than they know The Gun Club and that's really weird

oh come on, Bauhaus gets their fare share of attention.

both are great and not true, Sup Forums isn't this entire generation

It triggers me postpunk is not really fundamentally different from punk at its core. Most "postpunk" musicians share an ethos and style that would have fit in perfectly during the mid-'70s.

Really the main thing is that postpunk was more varied and was facilitated by a shared ethos. I just think people inherently elevating one above the other is funny. I used to do it before realising how silly it was.

the average person knows who the cure and joy division is. the average person definitely doesn't know who bauhaus is. also, i've read a ton of negative feedback about their music online

/thread

>is a grimesfag
>expects anybody to take his opinion about music seriously

because joy division had their frontman kill themselves and then new order, etc.
the cure has released more than two good albums, and I'm not even a fan of theirs.

It only applies for that album tho

this

>and I'm not even a fan of theirs.
repent user

there are much better mid80s post punk groups.

it's hipper than punk. most punk is too unhinged in a pleb way both musically and lyrically

But what about goth punk?

A-grade rebuttal. Simon Reynolds might like a word with you.

Except, you know, for the fact that they are different genres with different sound?

the funny part is i actually agreed with your original post. but you're a grimesfag so i can't just let you off that easy

Postpunk has no one sound. It's basically just that punk as a genre evolved and varied with time. The only reason the term was adopted in the first place is because punk was seen as "dead" in 1978. There were bands making music before that turn who were suddenly considered postpunk for no reason other than the fact that they were making punk music after punk "died".

Stop goofing on me!

99% of post punk is considerably more slow and less aggreasive than punk. They have only recently started to merge again.

the birthday party?

Proto-goth, yes, just as proto-punk existed before punk. Evidenced by Nick Cave being a goth for years after

This is wrong and I'll prove it with some classic mental gymnastics.

There are a load of artists that demonstrate classic punk attributes (fast-paced guitar riffs, shouted vocals, political lyrics, hard 4/4 drums, and a sharp constrast between bass and treble tones) that are arbitrarily considered "postpunk" because of when they released their music and not because of what their music sounded like. Examples: Gang of Four, Swell Maps, Wire, The Fall, Television Personalities, and XTC.

Things got more atmospheric, electronic, and genre-varied, but the core was the same throughout.

If you honestly don't realize postpunk has it's own sound and structures (way more bass and high pass filtering for one), you're probably autistic, sorry. Yes, the genres intertwined, then split and intertwined again, but pretty much everyone outside of hipsters knows what post punk sound is.

This has nothing to do with them "intertwining" and everything to do with how those sounds and structures are not singular in the first place.

Also, it's important to note that a fuck-ton of artists in the movement sounded nothing alike and had far different influences from one another. It's just like any genre.

Talking Heads (disco, dance, artrock)
The Fall (most bare components of punk and psychedelic rock)
This Heat (Canterbury prog rock and experimental)
Joy Division (Krautrock and a lot of protopunk stuff)
Gang of Four (funk, punk, and Karl Marx)
The Slits and The Pop Group (dub and reggae)

I think the whole hardcore punk can of worms is something else entirely, and is in itself a form of postpunk. Also, it's always irritated me that albums released in 1977 (Talking Heads '77, Suicide, Pink Flag, Marquee Moon) are considered postpunk despite the fact that they were released pre-mortem and are very different from what happened after Public Image First Issue came out; for context, that album is considered the first 'true' postpunk album, and it came out in late '78. The qualifiers for postpunk are stupidly vague and inconsistent as hell, depending on who you're talking to.

A lot of other genres have projects that sound nothing alike, yet they are still their own genres. If I download a post-punk record, I know what to expect. If I download a punk record, I know what to expect. 99% of the time they are different and my expectations are met. It doesn't help that you can't seem to name any band that isn't from the late 70s or early-mid 80s.

I agree, and as always Japan perfected it.

it's like punk, but not quite.

>If I download a post-punk record, I know what to expect.

On that description alone? Remember that Grotesque, Remain in Light, and Closer all came out the same year and sound absolutely nothing alike. Again, genres can and do have plenty of variety, but the core point I'm emphasising here is that The Fall, Talking Heads, and Joy Division are ultimately punk bands that have histories and recordings that predate the "death" of punk.

I just think the hard, arbitrary line people draw between punk and "what came after" is really silly.

>he's still stuck in early 80s

Its current year grandpa, time to listen to some post-punk that's not older than most people here.

post-punk is strictly from the 1980s, maybe late 70s, user jr.

t. Capitain Autism
Enlighten me master, what's contemporary postpunk called in your world? Post-post-slowcore-rock'n'roll?

>Capitain

The whole genre in the first place is a contrivance that was born from the "PUNK IS DEAD! WE MUST SAVE IT!" hysteria after Sid Vicious died.

redpill me on this user?

And yet again you haven't said anything relevant to this millennium. I don't know what I was expecting talking to a namefag. Have fun sucking your own purist dick, I'll go listen to some postpunk.

K good talk

what happens when this 2017 album by my buddies in their mid-20s is more authentically post-punk in sound and vibe than most 80s post-punk?

that's called deathrock

and it's the best

best riffs
sexiest girls
most handsome boys
best songs

There's a lot of bands lately who are not calling themselves deathrock on purpose but use something like goth punk or anarcho goth. Stuff like The New Flesh.

I doubt you and never listen to it

This:

that's because you're both faggots who don't actually know what you're talking about but enjoy larping on the internet. It's AOTY in almost every indie circle that leans post-punk or jangle. have a look on the old google and kindly never post on Sup Forums again

>It's AOTY in almost every indie circle that leans post-punk or jangle
What kind of argument is this, Satan?

fucking shills, wasting satan trips on this level of butthurtness

>using terms like "Punk erasure"
>implying kids know about The Pop Group
You're sad

I feel like deathrock or whatever peaked with this song and everything after isn't that worthwhile
youtube.com/watch?v=WCqaXfFJD9c

What about Flipper?

youtube.com/watch?v=NtnlvHxlgOE

btfo. kek wills that both of you listen to the Omni album. it got a better p4k review than Protomartyr which had been hyped on this board for months. i know how much you normies value shit like that.

at this point you need them boyos, not the other way around.

Damn that opening is god like.

No really, how is telling me that other people like the album an argument for it being good? And no protomartyr is standard shit I didn't get much out of it, nor the first omni album but if you implore me I can spin it again

No for real, Sup Forums is scared of punk because it's """anti intellectual""" and you can't get any as much social capital out of it as you can from being a post punk genre tourist

I guess this
youtube.com/watch?v=F4coUbDktPg
going from reverse image search and google translate

Is that a man's penis? This disgusts me.

Holy shit I haven't seen this in forever.

I agree

The production on this album is weird

Reminder that powerviolence is better than post punk and goth rock in almost every single way.

What's the pic from?

Old rabid japcore/swecore > powerviolence

youtube.com/watch?v=iz1dH1NNTUw