In Dawn of the Dead which ending do you prefer?

In Dawn of the Dead which ending do you prefer?

The one we got where Peter and Fran escape in the helicopter?
Or the one we almost got where Peter shoots himself and Fran cuts her head off with the helicopter blades?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YxtqK3l0ttE
youtube.com/watch?v=2vdAV1XXJog
youtube.com/watch?v=nKWpR1b-2Ac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A better ending would have been Peter getting eaten to death on the rooftop. Fran flies around aimlessly for hours, has to land because she is out of gas. Gets mobbed by zombies and also eaten. THE END

The first time I saw it I wasn't happy with how overall hopeful it ends(to a degree) but the more I've watched it, the more I love the somewhat cheesy escape and I'm glad the characters get out alive

I dont know man, when it comes to zombie movies I like to see hope, to see them evolve and adapt, if a movie just ends with everyone dying then there is no opportunity to expand the story and explored new themes, I feel Romero was great at showing the world getting fuller with zombies but every character varyies from movie to movie so when they die im not that emotionally invested in them.

Also fuck fast zombies in the ass.

>mfw that cheesy action music starts playing when Peter decides not to kill himself and to fight the zombies

that sounds shit mate desu. The ambiguous ending is the best

Why do people hate Day of the Dead? It was one of my favorites when I was younger, I thought the music was great, and being in a bunker was pretty cool

>Also fuck fast zombies in the ass.

I take it 28 Days Later made you shit your pants?

these

Because watching it gives people anxiety attacks.

its a marmite film. If youre a zombie fanatic you will love it but as a film it has some poor acting and forgets its a film towards the end and turns into a special fx demo reel. Not to mention its too short to actually delve into any characters or themes properly

>its a marmite film
It's a superior horror flick

for you
you made do that

I sorta think a hybrid ending would have been interesting, sorta like what we got with night of the living dead. For the main characters you had a sad ending, but for humanity as a whole you had a good ending.

So you'd still have peter and fran kill themselves, but at the end you could probably have a scene with a new group of survivors trying to rebuild society.

nah, your opinion is shit mate

But I am the biggest zombie fan in the world, and I only think it is average.

Also biggest zombie movie collection guy reporting in!

what lets it down do you think?

I love the movie but Romero fucked up royally with the "upbeat" ending with that silly A-Team style theme. Up until then it is a superb horror movie. The movie SHOULD have ended with all characters dead. The rationale behind it was that Romero was having such a good time making it he decided to change the ending at the last minute. Sad that Tom Savini never got to complete the effects for Fran's head exploding in the helicopter blades. Still a great movie though.

What is the best version of DOTD?

Original? Director's cut? Euro cut? Ultimate/extended mall hours cut?

Barely any zombies, it was more character driven yet the characters weren't even that good. The few tunnel zombie scenes were lackluster, until the big ending.

WWZ

Should have gone with something like the original NotLD ending and have a clean-up time coming in and murdering everyone including the survivors.

I always wondered how the zombies became incredibly stronger in this movie. When Steele and the other guy catch one in that cage device at the beginning of the film the zombie is frantically almost wrecking the thing

>Marmite film.
Only an utter pleb would say that. Fuck off you tasteless little twat.

good to know I got someone this angry this early in the morning.

The one where they get out on the boat, but must stop on the island and it's full of zombies is pretty sad.

Then you are the biggest zombie fan in the world who literally has zero respect for the one film that redefined the entire sub-genre of zombie movies and made it what it is today. It's basically like saying, I am the world's biggest Christian but that Jesus guy was an overrated faggot in my opinion.

Yes you did and I hate you for it. I was just enjoying my rice crispies and then you happened. Good morning.

I wouldn't go that far, it's just opinions. I'm not a huge fan of Shaun of the Dead either which was a big game changer for the genre. Just my opinions tho, also I just think Dayotd is average. It's not bad, but it's just slightly overrated by most people.

I kind of fail to see how Dayotd redefined the genre too.

The one we got was fine
If I wanted a movie where every character died, I'd just go watch Night of the Living Dead

How did you guys feel about
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
Survival of the Dead

maybe you were tainted by the dawn remake, 28 days etc turning the genre to shit?

Personally, I'd have prefered Peter and Fran suicide.

That ending is entirely too lighthearted, and I think is just jarring tonally. The ending is probably Dawn's biggest issue IMO, and why it's not as good as NOTLD.

The other step they really missed, was they had a pregnant extra, and the extra suggested that the zombies tear her apart and rip her unborn baby out and eat it as well.

Both George and Savini were apparently appalled by the suggestion and both flatly turned it down. I would have really liked to see that.

at what point is that entertainment for others who are not degenerate gorefags?

>Land of the Dead
It was alright. It wasn't as good as Night or Dawn but was about on par with Day.
>Diary of the Dead and Survival
Trash, it was just garbage. They're practically parodies, and absolute shit. Even the worst episode of the Walking Dead would be 10x better than either of those dumpster fires.

The first one. Not too sad and not too hopeful. Theyre still probably fucked.

It's meant to disgust, gore isn't bad simply because it's gore. Part of the reason the original NOTLD was so memorable was because it really pushed the envelop on violent gory horror movies for its time. I was hoping Dawn would do the same and set the standard, but Dawn is actually fairly tame, and it's violence aged nowhere near as well as Night's did.

>not too hopeful

This music alone is too hopeful. Is this a zombie movie or an A-team knockoff?

youtube.com/watch?v=YxtqK3l0ttE

>Helicopter Escape Ending

Yeah, the helicopter escape ending is by far the best. Not because i need a ''happy ending'', but the helicopter ending is just so fucking great. I cheer every time is see it.The kicks / music is enough to justify this ending being the superior ending

>2:32
youtube.com/watch?v=2vdAV1XXJog

>I cheer every time is see it.

Except that means it completely failed as a horror movie though.

It'd be great for something like Shaun of the Dead since it's a comedy or something in that vein, or like a Resident Evil where it's just action, but if this movie is trying to be a horror film, it's kinda failed right there then.

I mean, it'd be like if The Thing suddenly ended with MacReady turning into Jack Burton and punching out the Alien to death and riding off into the sunset.

Like, yeah, maybe that would be funny to see and be kinda thrilling but it'd completely fuck over the tone and kill any sense of dread or horror.

Look up the original script, it was going to be fucking incredible but they fucked it all up.

>mfw

>Why do people hate Day of the Dead?

I don't hate it, it's got its own charm, but it's just not as good as the first two.

In fact, I'd say each Dead movie is worse than it's predecessor.

Night>>Dawn>Dead>Land>Dairy>Survival, so yeah, each movie is worse than the last.

At no point in the movie does it lean one way or another in terms of mega-happy ending v. mega-sad ending.

Faggots like you make me fucking sick. Horror movies aren't always based around downer endings. Most of the time that shit is forced anyway. Designed to be edgecore or worse le kino.

>What is the best version of DOTD

I'd say one of the extended cuts, but I forget which one between Directors and Extended Mall Hours.

I think that I prefer the ending we got (minus the cheesy Peter jump kick), but wish that the original ending would have at least been filmed, so we could at least see it.

the escape kicks ass including the music

I guess it was just super agitated with Steel yelling at it, and knocking it's hat off.

Much like my experience with the other classic Romero movies, I hated it the first time I saw it, but it grew on me to where I kind of like it now. The only thing that bugged me was Cholo's demand for money when he's threatening to shell Fiddler's Green. Where exactly is he going to spend it? It's not like he wouldn't be immediately be killed by Hopper's people as soon as he let his guard down.

It's lighthearted in the immediate, but then you realize that they're still fucked. They have no idea where they're going, low on supplies, Fran's due any time, and don't have much fuel left. They're basically back to where they started before they got to the mall, only much worse off.

>Horror movies aren't always based around downer endings.

True, but the best ones do, because it keeps the tone and atmosphere in line.

You wouldn't think a comedy film would be good if suddenly it spent the last 10 minutes going super dark and nihilistic and all that. How do you think the Hangover would be if the entire crew was brutally tortured to death by the mob at the end or if the main cast of Coming to America ended with all of them being beaten and lynched Emmit Till style by the KKK? It'd be completely at odds with what a good comedy is supposed to get out of you, and that's what this movie decides to do with the ending here.

What movie did you watch ? The same movie with a guy who decides to test his blood pressure in the middle of a zombie horde. The same movie that has biker gangs throwing pies into the faces of zombies. Dawn of the dead 78 is not an overwhelmingly dark movie. Dawn is filled with moments that will scare you, make you laugh, cheer, or possibly cry etc. Since Dawn is structured that way, that ''happy ending'' well is justified

>because it keeps the tone and atmosphere in line.

Exactly. Half of DotD is borderline comedy so the ending suits it fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=nKWpR1b-2Ac

sorry mate, must disagree as well.
Is a surprising fair ending. Kind of rounding ouch each ending.

>people not understanding the ambiguous ending

the whole point of the ending is to keep it ambiguous yet still keeping optimistic since they survive, like there's a chance the zombies might not win, there's a chance the survivors might find a nice place to live and rebuild. Almost all of the dead movies ended like this, even Night (it had the survivors taking control of the outbreak)

Having them all die is the equivalent to a movie ending with "it was all a dream". It makes everything that's happened pointless and isn't clever at all.