Daisy Ridley Responds to the “Mary Sue” Criticism of Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens

“The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it’s the name of a woman. Everyone was saying that Luke had the exact same [capabilities]. I think Rey is incredibly vulnerable, and nothing she’s doing is for the greater good. She’s just doing what she thinks is the right thing. And she doesn’t want to do some of it, but she feels compelled to do it. So for me, I was just confused.”

themarysue.com/daisy-ridley-rey-not-a-mary-sue/

She's retarded.

>themarysue.com

disgusting mary sue

>[thing] is sexist

stopped reading there

>is sexist because it’s the name of a woman

R E T A R D E D

kind of funny that site is literally called the Mary Sue, and Daisy is saying that term is sexist.

>themarysue.com

Imagine how much of an edgelord is the domain holder irl

>She's not doing it for the greater good
>She's just doing what she thinks is the right thing

IDK kind of contradicts itself

There's a male equivalent called a Gary Stu. This isn't sexist at all.

Hitler did what he thought was the right thing but it wasn't for the greater good.

Not really. What you think is good on a personal level may have nothing to do with the collective good.

>luke had the same capabilities
Yeah after three movies of training. What's the term for a fanfic character that shows up out of nowhere is inexplicably as powerful as the heroes?
>she doesn't want to do some of it, but she feels compelled to do it.
"Oh why me? Why do I have to be so perfect that everybody loves me and needs me to solve their problems? Don't people realize that greatness is a curse?"
TFA was literally a shitty fanfic.

People rarely name any Gary Stus.

In fact Anakin in Ep1 fit the description perfectly and no one ever pointed it out.

I think the black shit in her uterus is clogging up her brain

What else is she supposed to say in her position?
>yes, my character is a marry sue and the movie was shit too

>"Oh why me? Why do I have to be so perfect that everybody loves me and needs me to solve their problems? Don't people realize that greatness is a curse?"

She's never said this or anything even remotely like it. You're trying to force something that isn't there.

lol upvote my good reddit sir

:^)

""""""""""""""""""""""""""sexist""""""""""""""""""""""""""

the fuck are you on about

How is Anakin a Gary Stu? He didn't do anything amazing other than flying the ship in episode one. He constantly fucked up and the other jedi didn't like him very much.

>“The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist
HAHAHAHAHAHA

This is wrong. He messes up and has to be saved by others. Even watto points out that he failed before buts still good

Sort of explained in-universe as him being The Chosen One, but he still consistently fucks up and is disliked by a lot of people, as points out. Also he turned into the main villian of three and a half movies, which isn't something a Gary Stu would usually do

Bullshit. He's already declared the Chosen One by the only Jedi who turned out to be right, was liked by the queen and the other relevant main characters and was even given a virginal birth, the ability to win pod races and build protocol droids even though his balls hadn't dropped. Blowing up the station was just adding a final insult to a long line of injuries.

Worst of all, he never even acted conflicted because Jake was such a shit actor. The amount of cognitive dissonance it takes to call Rey a Sue and still make excuses for young Anakin is fucking astounding.

We never once see him fail. Rey at least gets kidnapped. Name one time Anakin was ever in need of being saved. He even freed himself from slavery.

oh my, she's retarded..

The droid assembly factory in AotC, the Geonosian Arena in AotC, he probably would have died if Obi Wan hadn't caught him when he jumped off some dude's flying car at the start of AotC...

It's all in AotC

Also he had to be saved by Sheev after getting buttblasted on Mustafar

You do realize that there were two other movies in the prequel trilogy right? And in those other two movies he does nothing other than fuck up and piss people off. And all of Anakin's success in TPM was (poorly written) dramatic irony, because the audience knows Anakin is going to grow up to be a dick.

If she is not Mary Sue, then explain how she won vs Kylo Ren.

I get it, he was weakened, but not to the point where he would lose vs an untrained bitch, especially when their fight wasnt based on the force but on sword fighting skills.

should probably just ignore the criticism or brush it off as "nah, she gets beat up and makes mistakes fuck you". the "mary sue is sexist" response shows she's not really in touch with the actual criticism about her character, probably because she doesn't go on tibetan donkey-grooming boards in her free time.

We're talking Ep 1, which is what TFA should be compared with. Including the whole trilogy against one movie is stupid .

Could she miss the point harder? I don't think so.

Tapped into the Force as a desperate last move in the same way that Luke used it to blow up the Death Star.

And yes, Kylo was severely weakened. He took a shot to the gut from a weapon that normally sent troopers flying.

>Luke had the same capabilities
>took two full movies to use the light saber properly
>took two full movies to use the force properly
>literally everything he learned from Yoda about discipline and fear which took a whole movie to get to
Shut the fuck up you ugly dumb slut.

he literally had a blaster shot through his side

its a wonder he was able to fight at all

Imagine if Star Wars VII (yes, with a number since it's the 7th fucking movie) took place from Luke's Jedi Academy. Imagine if the whole movie we got Luke and Ben Solo and the real perversion of the dark side and instead of being a total reboot the galaxy as a setting had consistency. Star Wars needs to die. There's nothing kids can get out of these Disney movies that they weren't already going to get from watching the Original Trilogy with their dad.

> untrained bitch
It's as if you didnt even watch the movie

I guess, but then Anakin never would have been freed from slavery if Qui-Gon hadn't fixed that bet. I guess we'll see if Rey continues to be a Mary Sue in the later films. But then, they might just be shoehorning in flaws/trials where they never would have been had there not been an internet backlash, and I'd like to think that Lucas had SOME idea of what he was going to with Anakin in 2 and 3 when he was making 1.

I guess we'll see.

>took two full movies to use the force properly

He successfully used it to blow up the Death Star in the first movie. Maybe you should shut up fagboy.

>Star Wars VII (yes, with a number since it's the 7th fucking movie)

Why did they drop the Roman numerals?

>I'd like to think that Lucas had SOME idea of what he was going

He did, it just wasn't a very good idea. For some reason he thought Anakin should be a creepy whiny asshole by the second movie who kills children.

Clone Wars Anakin was way better, proving the franchise was always better off in the hands of others.

Except she's doing it because she thinks it's for the greater good, and she feels compelled to do it.

pray to the force for accuracy for 1 second when you are already a good enough shot to shoot whomprats or whatever the fuck he boasted he could do
vs
pray to the force to have sustained melee combat for 10 minutes despite having no training with the weapon and fighting against a master of the weapon

JJ claims it's because of pottery with Star Wars IV: A New Hope originally just being called "Star Wars". Really it just reinforces that TFA is a soulless reboot and nobody born before 2005 should care about the franchise anymore.

Nope. She was kidnapped when all she wanted to do was get away back to Not Tatooine. Then she finally fought back in revenge after Finn was almost killed. She literally did it all for selfish reasons with no thought to any greater good whatsoever.

Oh wow one time in the entire movie which is still vague weather Obi Wan helped him and still used a lot of concentration and energy. Oh and when he took fucking ages to get the light saber out of the snow cave. While she could do both and more with in the first hour and a half. Kill yourself.

>it's only fair to compare TFA to the biggest pile of garbage that has ever has ever had "Star Wars" stuck on it
I agree lol. Seriously though, if the new movies address some of the criticisms people have about Rey, like TCW and RotS did for TPM, I will take back the Mary Sue thing. But they won't and you know it.

She had to survive on a desert planet surrounded by scavengers. That's where she learned to fight. And she was still losing to Kylo right up until she had to pull out together for the final minute.

At this point you're just making endless excuses for Luke while giving no leeway whatsoever for Rey.

In the Phantom Menace, Anakin is definitely a Gary Stu, but he also isn't the main character and doesn't do that much.

In Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, Anakin is not a Gary Stu at all.

She could get herself out of snow caves? Yeah no, you kill yourself right now or I'm gonna do it myself. Seriously, kill yourself immediately while you still have a choice in how you die.

We've been through this a thousand times.
Kylo didn't even want to beat/kill her, he wanted to show her the dark side and take her as an apprentice because he knows that she is powerful "in the Force", hence that line right before she turns on him.
Also Kylo was mentally and physically weakened yes.

The literal physical overpowering with the hands was too on the nose tho.

>but how did Finn held up so good then?
No he didn't, Kylo played with him until Finn managed to connect a hit and then Kylo BTFO's him immediately.

>b-but why didn't Kylo just force push/choke Finn, why even fight?
Because it is the same thing like the samurais code, if someone pulls out a katana you ain't gonna pull out a glock on him.
Also Finn pulled out Anakin fucking Skywalker's saber, ofcourse he wants to show the traitor that he is not worthy of holding such a weapon.

How can you fuckers argue over and over again with the same exact posts and replies, there is no new views or explanations you all know what each side think or says.

TFA is a too safe, but competently soft reboot and that's it, it isn't a revolutionary masterpiece or utter dogshit.

>Rey is a badass orphan who grew up on the mean streets always fighting for her next meal. But it didn't make her cynical or maladjusted though, she's a nice person who is compelled to do the right thing ;).
MARY SUE
A
R
Y

S
U
E

>In Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, Anakin is not a Gary Stu at all.

So we should probably wait to see how Rey turns out in the next movies, seeing as how everyone gave Anakin the benefit of the doubt despite him being terrible.

He was still terrible in the other movies by the way, just in different ways. Clone Wars is literally the only medium he got good.

:^)

Nobody gave Anakin the benefit of the doubt, everyone hated the phantom menace and hated anakin because he was an annoying kid. Are you 12?

>What's the term for a fanfic character that shows up out of nowhere is inexplicably as powerful as the heroes?
OC Donut Steel

>luke was a farmboy and wants to fight in the war so he can get out of farm country, learns about the force and joins a rebellion.
>rey is a junker, who can expertly fly a custom built ship, has incredible force powers, counter mind rape, call her lightsaber, beat a trained sith...because it's the right thing to do.

Give him a break, he doesn't actually like TFA, he just gets $.02 every time he shitposts about how great it is.

I don't think Rey was a Mary Stu. Anakin was a Gary Stu in Phantom Menace, but not in Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith.

This is also true. Saying "but Child Anakin was a Gary Stu" isn't a proper defense of Rey because Child Anakin was an awful character and one of the major flaws of the film.

I liked Anakid

Different user here, but I agree with both sides. They should give more time to setup the character in order to judge, but at the same time, if TPM got blasted for being a shitty movie (partly because of gary stu annakin), why shouldn't TFA

It would have been if he had succeeded

Rey's not a Mary Sue. She's just a shit boring character. Which really isn't much better.

YIPPIE

but she a cute tho

Even if Anakin was a Gary Stu in the prequels, it doesn't count because we know he becomes a mass murderer. Being capable, or even godly capable, doesn't in and of itself make a Mary Sue or Gary Stu. It's a combination of factors. Anakin was very powerful but he was also a whiny douche and everyone who met him didn't like him, even when he was a little kid. Unlike Rey.

I mean not everyone who met him liked him.

Fuck with Rey, even the villain ends up fascinated with her and takes it easy on her.

looks like almost everyone involved in ep 7 is retarded.

how is it being a tfa apologist, you fucking cuck?

I have to say this bothered me too, but much moreso with Finn. Why bother giving him a background of a Stormtrooper brainwashed from infancy if you're going to basically make it not affect him emotionally and mentally? He became a bumbling good guy way too quickly.

"Mary sue" is an overused term, but she meets the definition to a T.

>young girl written into existing franchise by a new author
>inexplicably stronger than previous heroes without prior training
>meets up with the entire fucking established cast, all of them love her
>outflies imperial pilots despite never flying before
>teaches Han Solo things about his ship
>is the one to console Leia despite never even meeting her
>is able to use the Jedi mind trick literally 1 minute after learning it exists

They tried to give her some cynical and anti-social traits at the very beginning, but then they threw them away for the most part and made her ridiculously well adjusted compared to her backstory and made everyone who met her like her immediately.

FACT: Rey IS a Mary Sue!

She immeditely without ANY training knows how to mind trick people, defeat a Sithlord who is able to stop lazer bolts in mid air and freeze people (as Kylo does to Poe at the beginning).

It feels like the writers forgot about Kylo's power in the 3rd act.

Also: the idea of the ground splitting between them and separating them is so Disney/cartoony.

The Force Awakens feels so amateurish with the way it is written.

>Anakin was very powerful
Anakin loses most of his duels, doesn't he?

Don't bother. Anyone with half a brain understands all of this but people just want to be mad. For some reason this is the sticking point with so many people even though it was one of the least annoying and badly written aspects of the movie.

>They tried to give her some cynical and anti-social traits at the very beginning
and yet Rey smiles at Finn like as if she is trying to not laugh (or was this a mistake by Daisy?)

This is a retarded thing to say, but remember that Disney basically has her by the throat and it's not like she really has any ability to publicly say what she really thinks about their intellectual property if she wants to keep her job

HOL UP

was she objectively more of a mary sue than luke was?

she just can't get the bbc off her mind

>sexist
WTF I HATE DAISY NOW!!!??

Jesus Christ are you normies brain dead?

Luke had to undergo training by Obi and Yoda until he could master the force yet Rey is able to know everything straight away without any training.

The only reason that she seems cute is because she's so average looking that she's almost attainable.

>The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist
Ya blew it.

it more like
>she's just doing what she thinks is the right thing
>and IT JUST SO HAPPENS its for the greater good

and that's just bad writing 2bh

This. People forget that being super strong doesn't automatically make a Mary Sue. In fact, damsels in distress who are always kidnapped can also be Mary Sues.

What more makes a Mary Sue is if nothing they do has any negative consequences that they aren't immediately forgiven for (if they're even blamed at all, which they usually aren't), everyone likes them right away, everyone immediately regards them as special and important even if they've done nothing to warrant it, and if despite their tragic background (which many traditional ie fan-made Mary Sues have), they're still pretty well-adjusted except for a few token times where they're upset about it to move the plot or make other characters/the audience feel sorry for them.

Anakin does no force powers at all in Phantom Menace.

Yes he causes the destruction of the fedoration ship by shooting it accidentally and obviously the force/medichlorians were guiding him so he wouldn't get killed or his ship blown up.

BUT young Annie did not use any force powers or mind tricks on anyone.

Anakin was not a Gary Stu at all.

Just a very talented pod racer.

>damsels in distress who are always kidnapped can also be Mary Sues
No

>average
foreveralone.jpg

I'm not talking about Rey being a mary sue you idiot. I'm talking about Kylo losing.

>The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it’s the name of a woman
>So for me, I was just confused

Rey is a Mary Sue because she can mind trick people without even knowing what mind tricking is.

Now unless she is a reincarnation of Anakin or her mind was wiped and she was trained when she was 6 years old, she is a Mary Sue.

End of discussion.

Yet you fucking pathetic normies just don't understand this and will keep calling her not a Mary Sue but since Episode 8 and 9 has not been released yet and if TFA is to be watched as standalone: she is 100% a Mary Sue.

Yes. The fan characters written by teenaged girls that are the original Mary Sues were almost always kidnapped. Then main character of their choice saves them because they're the most important thing ever.

holy fuck you can't even let someone think she is cute lmao how fucking autistic could you be to hate a movie so passionately

>Then main character of their choice saves them because they're the most important thing ever.
You have no idea what the definition of a Mary Sue is. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

>Now unless she is a reincarnation of Anakin
I'm terrified this may be the actual story now.

Can you fucking read? I'm arguing that Anakin isn't a gary stu for being powerful. And the other traits, besides damsel in distress, you can easily pin on Rey.

There was no defense of Rey in that post, sperg.

Yeah, for now she's a complete Mary Sue.

But I bet she had her memory wiped so she's not going to be one.

her memory about her parents leaving her here so she has to wait for them on Jakku is so clearly an implanted memory to keep her on that planet.

Padme will always be most attractive Star Wars girl