Doctor Strange Discussion Thread

What did you think lads?

It was a solid 7.5/10
Story was basic origin story stuff and the villain was forgettable-tier (typical Marvel problem) but the trippy and creative action sequences made up for it, also i really liked the ending when it doesn't come down to a standard fight-scene but rather Strange using his intellect to put an end to Dormammu.

Only problem i had was that the Marvel Quips® didn't work well in this movie, some felt really forced, that's probably the fault of the reshoots with Dan Harmon.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/10/27/review-doctor-strange-is-pure-magic/
youtube.com/watch?v=O_5NwVy8L5M
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg
youtube.com/watch?v=tcynCZDPMXw
youtube.com/watch?v=jFKyqo9S0tE
youtube.com/watch?v=-xhIX4qr9JI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cons
>dude beyonce lmao
>DUDE THAT IS SO FUNNY LET ME LAUGH AS FORCEFULLY AS POSSIBLE HEHEHEHEHE
>everything came to strange conveniently
>forgettable villain

>>dude beyonce lmao

it's like Marvel is copying their own movies now, that was just like the scene in GOTG with the alien prison guard listening to the 80's music on Star-Lord's walkman.

For me the original visuals and not-bad action didn't make up for the shitty writing (not a single interesting line, trite as fuck) and worst of all just how unconvincing Strange was as a character. It didn't feel like a story naturally unfolding, just a string of conveniences to get Strange into superhero mode. He never reacted in a way I thought was natural for a character, just in ways that got him into the next set peice. Maybe I'm not explaining it well, but I just found it so fucking tedious. Mordo and Kaecilwhatever were even worse. The Ancient One and the nurse girl were good.

Ant-Man was FUCKLOADS better.

Marvel probably wants to make Doctor Strange the new leader of the Avengers after Infinity War (RDJ and Chris Evans can't or don't want to play these characters forever) and it was quite obvious in this movie, they especially pointed out his science and problem-solving aspects (like with the ending). Not to mention the after-credits scene where Thor asks him for help.

Dr Strange can function as a taxi service.

>>everything came to strange conveniently
How is this a problem? If you ever go to uni you will find lots of people like this, especially med students.

The only 3D movie I have ever watched was the Tron sequel and I hated it. I told myself I would never waste my money again for that stupid shit.

But this movie I will shell out the extra money for 3D.

Saw this on Imax.
Worth the 12 buckeroos

What country are you from that IMAX is only 12 bucks?

It's usually 20 dollarydoos everywhere.

So what themes did the film explore? Did it use the visuals to good effect in illustrating those themes or the narrative? Does it have any depth or is it all surface?

Watched it in 3D and I loved it. Best Marvel movie in ages.

Saw it today, thought it was alright.

It got much more interesting towards the end, the beginning was such standard origin story shit.

>released all over Europe now for few days
>discussion threads are dead
lmao its either a flop film or the american film industry is a joke

Flip I know

DORMAMMU, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN

Great movie. I agree with your points the only thing that felt rushed though was the training sequence.

>beyonce

All of Strange's jokes aren't funny because like they said in the movie, he THINKS he is funny. In fact the funny part happens when he doesn't try to make jokes.

That mirror dimension fight in new york looked great in 3D.

>travels to nepal
>gets mugged in the street by a white guy

rip when?

Well, it's a Marvel film. Generally speaking they lack depth and meaning. People will praise the glossy surface for a while and then it will be quietly forgotten like all the other Marvel films.

>villain was forgettable-tier (typical Marvel problem)
They fucking wasted based Mads?

Shit.

youre right, there literally isn't really anything to discuss apart from 'yes it was good' or 'its was OK'

Why do they use these faggy hand power things when they just could use guns?

where's the camripppppp

Saw it yesterday in germanland and I loved the movie. Strange's quest to pick himself up again after fate fucked him over and he was almost out of ideas, really connected with me, more so than Tony Stark's allegedly similar arc did in Iron Man. Loved the actor performances, especially Cumberbatch and Swinton. Without going into spoilers, there was one heartfelt moment between their characters that was simply beautiful and sends Strange on his ultimate path. Add in the great visuals, fucking cool locking magic and fights and it's one of my favs among the MCU movies.

I dig 100% Soft's qt poster.

Looking forward to the film.

So I guess it's as empty and shallow as virtually all the other Marvel Films then? I'll wait for the webrip then.

Dunno if I would say wasted. He wasn't the centerpiece of the story, but he served it well. The movie is first and foremost about Strange becoming the man he destined to be. Kaecilius is a vehicle to show that transition, but not the focal point of the story. As such, I think Kaecilius was a pretty cool antagonist, a misguided man on a quest he thinks righteous and to an extent a man who showcases where Strange could have gone astray if he had made different decisions. If you wanted him to have half of the screentime though, you'll probably think Mads was "wasted".

Read this article if you want to have a decent insight of the themes the movie tackles.

forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/10/27/review-doctor-strange-is-pure-magic/

The effects were trippy as they said but the whole movie is meh at best.

Mads is wasted.

pretty good read

Oh that's not so bad. That's fine.

For an origin story it's fine, much like Ant-Man.

It's efficient and light-hearted all the way through so it's impossible to hate.

The cinematography in Marvel's films still look like television though.

>The cinematography in Marvel's films still look like television though.

u wot m8

>The cinematography in Marvel's films still look like television though.
no way you actually saw the movie

Thought so too. I like that the guy actually went and did a decent character analysis and how they reflect different aspects of the same theme. From a majority of the reviews, even the favorable ones, I get the impression that many of the critics didn't bother to try and look a bit deeper, as if it being a capeflick automatically shuts down their willingness to think about it, even for a bit.

The WiFi password was one of the most hilarious jokes I've seen in ages

Movie begins in 2016? I heard that Strange's award had 2016 written on it, but I didn't noticed that. But there was Iron Man 2 reference, and IM2 took place in 2010.

>But there was Iron Man 2 reference, and IM2 took place in 2010

What are you talking about?

There was a Civil War reference, in the beginning when Strange is driving his Lamborghini he gets a call where the hospital staff says they have a 35-year-old military colonel with multiple spinal fractures who needs surgery ASAP, but Strange declined (this was referencing War Machine and his accident in Civil War).

>they have a 35-year-old military colonel with multiple spinal fractures who needs surgery ASAP, but Strange declined

That was so stupid, War Machine had his accident in Germany, they would never waste the time to fly him all the way to the US for the surgery.

Director Scott Derrickson said "I've heard this several times. War Machine has nothing to do with Doctor Strange. There is no War Machine easter egg in that preview." He referenced to IMAX preview, where people saw this easter egg and connected that to Civil War.

And also, Rhodes was not in the marines. He was jet pilot in U.S. Air Force and IIRC there was said that he was in mid-40s, so he was to old.

No, the man in the metal suit was the one trying out Just Hammer's wannabe-Iron Man suit in IM2.

>post credits scene
>Mordo is now an evil black guy wearing a hoodie
Eat shit Luke Cage.

There‘s no way Strange learns all the shit he did in only six months, it was an Iron Man 2 reference, it took him 6 years and he still is shit tier sorcerer

Then why did it say "2016" on the plaque that he had at home before the accident?

7/10

The final scene was a little strange. I didn't expect that ever.

I didn't noticed that, as I said. Maybe director made mistake or this is time paradox caused Strange in the future.

Rhodes is 47 year old.

ITT: Marvel shills in full force

>sooooooooooooo trippy
>le action
>wasted villain but Thaaaaaat's Marvel ;P

It's like you're proud of your cookie cutter movies. You just watch them for the after credit scenes at this point.

I wonder how mad are SJW going to get that a nigger is evil and that Tilda Swinton died to give way to a white male

Just got back from watching it, 7.5 is a bit too generous, I'd say 6.

There's a prequel comic that explains how Mads lost his wife and son and came to the Ancient One, but instead of developing him in the film all they had him do was rant about time in his monologue, came across more crazy than well-intentioned extremist, and lessening his relationship as Strange's foil. Mordo going from "Ancient One was a hypocrite" to "wtf I hate sorcerers now" was a bit of a stretch.

If the Ancient One was drawing power from the Dark Dimension like Mads was doing, why didn't she have the stuff around her eyes like the zealots? Also, during the scene where Mads is in bondage, was it just me or did it look like he was crying and the tears was smudging the makeup around his eyes.

The CGI was cool and all, but as expected Marvel did nothing new and it was just another quip-fest off the assembly line, but now with ebin effects. The magic boiled down glowing orange lights and the Inception shit, didn't really feel that special towards the end. In the comics they could summon demons and shit.

Preferred Ant-Man over this, although it was a solid origin story and at least Marvel is trying something new visually and the multiverse presents some new directions they could take.

I'm talking actual cinematography -- mise en scene, composition, etc.

not all that CGI bullshit.

SJWs are already mad that they whitewashed the Ancient One.

go back to worshipping Hack Snyder, faggot

That I agree with.

The most impressive shit Strange and the Ancient One did was some shit tier spells, there was too much physical contact and the most complex spells were the mirror dimension alterations and the time travel, they could‘ve done much crazier shit like using the elements or summoning thunders, manipulating matter or shit like that.

It‘s like they feared Strange being an actual sorcerer. All his power came from the Eye of Agamotto (time gem) and the Cloak

I don't get the the first hospital scene. Were his stab wounds really that bad if he can walk out and keep fighting immediately after the operation or whatever the fuck they did?

To be fair, Strange just started out, he'll probably have learned more stuff in later films, but the most powerful sorcerers (Mads and Ancient One) should have showed more impressive stuff. They seemed to beat people up or use weapons more than spells.

Kek

Palmer said that his thorax wasn't punctured so it was mostly just a fleshwound

Also, the Avengers Tower was present in one shot before the accident. No way it took place during IM2.

Just got back. Solid movie, well worth seeing in 3d.

I liked how the ending was literally a reverse of the usual Marvel climax trope.

Just came back from it.
Not sure if it was a Junior Animator's Guide to Fractals or an extremely long social commercial about the dangers of using your phone while driving.
I liked it though. No surprises but solid execution in most areas. Good visuals. Some banter. Generally clean execution of fights and with a few exceptions you see everything that is happening.
They totally fucked up the fighting scene while everything was being rebuilt. That was such a great idea and they put too much stuff into it. It would have been godly and forever remembered if it was made in way less cuts.

Hearing about the prequel comic the first time now and from what you say, I can see why it's not in the movie. From what Mads showed in the movie it was perfectly clear why he was doing the shit he was doing. The talk he was giving while in bondage, with the glassy eyes and tear made it pretty clear that he lost loved ones. My memory is a bit hazy, but they may even have mentioned that he lost his wife. There was no point in showing more of his backstory, other than to serve your need to see more Mads There was no place for it in the beginning and furthermore, some 10 minute flashback in the middle of the movie would have fucked the pacing over.

As for why Ancient Tilda didn't have eyeburn, she had centuries on him to figure out the best way to draw energy.

>that the Marvel Quips® didn't work well in this movie,
I was originally excited for this movie because it looked like it had little to no humor, which suits Strange, but after seeing the more recent trailers/commercials I'm not too interested anymore.

The ending seriously reminded me of the Sans fight with all the "We are just going to be here forever until you give up."
Please don't hate me.

>sans fight

wat?

Ant-Man is an underrated masterpiece, with a very memorable theme song. Fuck Tony Zhou.

it had a theme song?

>one of the main supporting characters dies
>better insert two jokes right after
Holy shit.

>undertale
oh my god fuck off

>he thinks undertale invented that trope

cmon mate you dont help yourself do you

it's a movie for kids.

I came out the theater with this stuck in my head.

youtube.com/watch?v=O_5NwVy8L5M

I guess.
His line about taking life as a doctor was great though.

I sort of remember this but I wouldn't say it's Superman theme level or anything.

The rhythmic content is more impactful than its melodic content and it doesn't really go anywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg

How were the end credits with this song? Marvel usually has some good end credits, the Captain America ones come to mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=tcynCZDPMXw

youtube.com/watch?v=jFKyqo9S0tE

it was a Beatles Rock Band visualiser. meh.

That's too bad. I really like the song.

where can i watch this kino?

in... a kino.

Your local kino theater.

>The rhythmic content is more impactful than its melodic content and it doesn't really go anywhere.

if you want true themekino Cloverfield is your friend:

youtube.com/watch?v=-xhIX4qr9JI

So is Strange now confirmed for an appearance in Thor: Ragnarock?

Maybe.

He's confirmed for Infinity War either way.

i hope so

Strange must be awful then because Ant-man was a real shitty movie.

they're literally all the same.

another poorly written villain. when will marvel learn. Mads wasted

It was from 4.5/5 for me. It was presumedly a
comedy in sorts, even for me, getting used to
Benedict being that way. god yes, end credits!
Have to wait next year for some hemsworth fix and banner! fuck yeah! I think
doctor strange will be in thor 3 as well

it felt like he didn't portrayal himself as a villian,
by the way I saw and heard, but still a bad guy.

Am I missing something? Doesn't come out until november 4th.

idk about everywhere else but it came out in the UK last Tuesday in early release. The official release is today, so they get to add an extra 3 days to their B.O. tally.

Oh, bongland gets it earlier then.

Marvel releases all of their movies a week early in Europe and Asia for financial reporting purposes

That way when the movie has its opening weekend in America they can say "Doctor Strange already made XXX million dollars worldwide!!"