Your thoughts on old age?

Your thoughts on old age?

I'd rather be old and wise than young and stupid

I don't even know if I want to bother getting to that point. But I will say, hanging out with my younger relatives and watching them grow is pretty cool.

The only good thing about being young is a high sex drive, that's it. Everything else sucks about being young

with age comes wisdom

you're also free of the stuff that holds you back when you're younger and messes with the way you think, like lust for example

My Grandmother talks about this stuff sometimes. She's really old, 80 something.

She said the world is different from the one she knew and she doesn't feel like she's part of it anymore. Everyone she grew up with is dead and buried, even her husband, my Grandfather. The culture and people and society are all different. She's glad to still be here and see what the future is like but this isn't the world she knows and says she's okay with leaving it because she knows her time is up.

I don't fully understand that way of thinking yet, I get it a little, maybe I'll feel the same when I'm really old, I don't know.

>Everything else sucks about being young
Early youth is a nice time free of responsibility if you're lucky enough to get born in a good family and have nice friends in school and cool siblings.

not necessarily

elaborate?

All old people wish they were young again so rethink boyo

It depends on what you mean by "old age". I'll be 52 this year and have led an interesting life so far. Things didn't go the way I planned, but that's the same for everyone. I've lost all my grandparents and a few aunts & uncles. My dad & stepmom are considerably older but still going strong. I have a much younger girlfriend (chose not to have kids of my own many years ago), so I don't "feel" old. It's strange....like anyone else, I miss my youth and that old cliche about "knowing then what I know now" is true af. But overall, I've always had the point of view that getting older beats the alternative, so I roll with it. ama if you care to

True, having to walk by every club in town because you're not in your twenties anymore must be a rather blue feel, and that's only when you're in your 30s, but then in your 40s you will never sleep with anyone in their 20s again (assuming you were a young-looking 30-something and did manage to pull that off) and so on.

general advice? I'm 18 so newly an adult, don't really know what I'm doing or what I want from life

>ama if you care to
Can you bless my joint with a proverb or some such?

It's not for everyone

lust is one thing that doesn't seem to get milder, at least if you're single

This is me: I honestly don't care for the "young clubs" so that's not so bad. There are plenty of places that cater to the "older crowd" with classic rock and whatnot. As for your other statement, I nailed more 20-somethings when I was in my 40's than I did when I was 20-something myself. But that's not necessarily the norm

Pick something resembling a path and get started. You may change your mind later, or the path may change, but start something NOW whether it's construction work or programming or learning to weld, or just taking core classes at some community college. Anything you learn and anything you read (from War and Peace to comic books) will be good for you.

Bust your ass on this path while you're in your 20's and can still get away with 4 hours sleep per night. How's that phrase go? Work in your 20's, build in your 30's, relax in your 40's....something like that.

Also, don't jump into marriage and kids until you are established and can do it right. Divorce will destroy your future, and leaving behind another fucked-up child of divorce is unethical, imo.

Sure: Holy Weed, grant this young man visions of truth, but also clarity of mind to accept them

I like the young clubs but in ten years I'd be too old for them. Never been into classic rock. To each their own.

Thanks.

Seeing my nearly 100 yo great gramma being constantly sick and injured in a hospital at all times.
No longer able to understand or recall what happened today. Living in the memory of that time she was playing cards or her grandson, my dad.
I no longer wish to reach 100. Take me out when I still have something going for me.

I can't stress that part about choosing a path and getting started immediately enough. The whole "taking some time to find myself" bullshit from kids your age is a waste of your time and youth and energy. You can backpack through Europe later in life, when you can fly there on a private jet. The next few years are going to go by faster than you can imagine.....don't waste them.

Understood, and completely agreed. I pay attention to what clubs I go to and what the entertainment is that night. DJ's are ok, but gf and I tend to hang out with an older crowd anyway. But with that said, I'm not as much into clubs as I once was, for obvious reasons. I also owned a bar for a number of years, and I think I kinda burned out on it. Now I spend my weekends on the lake, at various house parties, whatever. Girlfriend and I go out a lot, but she's not much into the club scene either so that sort of worked itself out.

I wonder what he looks like now if he's still out there somewhere and if he has made any cool songs, that'd be the first thing I'd ask if I die for some weird reason.

I want nothing to do it. I hope I die at seventy.
>tfw Alzheimer's runs in my family
>that shit scares me more than death ever could

Living the dream. Lake sounds nice, even if a bit slowed down to my taste. Btw I'm terminally ill with unhealthy interest in suicide and the afterlife and soon a proud owner of a handgun and a lot younger than you, so I will skip everything: the bars, lakes, clubs, gfs, children, grandchildren, work, joys, sorrows, and old age. I won't even be considered old-ish when I go. But to think that I could've lead a life like yours with all those things you said is fun, it's like there's a fork on my road before me and I choose to walk out of this story hand in hand with Satan.

I'm sorry to hear about your illness, man. Life truly does suck sometimes. As for going out hand in hand with Satan, I'm not a big believer that taking your own life is 'bad'. I don't know your circumstances, but I do hope you'll choose to find what joy you can for as long as you can. That's about all life is for all of us. I lost my mom at a very young age (I was with her in a car accident....killed her and almost me as well). So for any of us, life can be fleeting. With that said, there's the constant balancing act of finding joy and meaning right now but also planning for the future. I can have fun and not be a total workaholic without blowing my entire paycheck snorting coke off a hooker's ass.

It's not really an illness, and I'm not a Christian either was just being needlessly poetic. But old age is sort of an illness. I saw my greatgrandmother when she was in her nineties and about to die and she looked worse than Freddie Mercury in his last moments. Sorry to hear about your mom. Do snort coke off a hooker's ass if it makes you happy and if you ask me. We should always move towards eudaimonia.

You both have excellent points and I once felt much the same. My mom died when she was 28, and I was convinced I myself would never reach 30. So I lived like a wild man for awhile and on my 30th birthday, I was practically hiding under my bed waiting for a meteor to hit. But 30 came and went and life goes on.

The thought of being in a home or something terrifies me, as does the thought of losing my mind. Like, if my health was bad, I'd be ok because I could still read or play on the internet or whatever. But if my mind goes, I've got nothing and that's scary.

My hope is that they'll have virtual reality perfected in the next 20 years so if I'm in some miserable nursing home wallowing in my own shit, I hope I can afford one that can slap some VR glasses on me and make me believe I'm on a yacht in Key West with a bunch of bikini models again.

>My hope is that they'll have virtual reality perfected in the next 20 years so if I'm in some miserable nursing home wallowing in my own shit, I hope I can afford one that can slap some VR glasses on me and make me believe I'm on a yacht in Key West with a bunch of bikini models again.
VR won't make you believe you are there, and in twenty years you won't feel the sunshine or the girls or taste the drink you're sipping, but then again you will see the girls and you can sip on a physical drink at the nursery home and that's something at least.