/noise/ general

First setup edition

Thanks to you beautiful faggots who helped me pick my first gear. I'm playing with no input mixing right now and slowly getting a sound I want from it. Doesn't sound too harsh though, I guess I need another pedal for that.

I'll appreciate if anyone has any resources regarding no input mixing, especially on how to best connect it to the pedals.

The rest of you, let's discuss noise, PE, industrial, and all that stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=erlxkLvB7Ig
youtube.com/watch?v=FwiGZfCt0Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=8puU4ru45M0
youtube.com/watch?v=A9t46Zdq6n8&list=RDMMA9t46Zdq6n8
soundcloud.com/instinct-primal
bandzone.cz/stor
soundcloud.com/magadan-4
youtube.com/watch?v=euHoHdpGOa0
youtube.com/watch?v=RQjb8Jy7ams
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can't tell if you've already tried this, but try putting the delay and the distortion in the feedback loop instead of just using the raw feedback from the mixer only. That is, mixer output > delay > distortion > mixer input. Then mess with eq, gain etc on the preamp channel. You could also try a signal splitter at any point in the chain and back into another preamp with different gain and eq settings

different guy but i would say to get another mixer and just use the smaller of the two as a dedicated device for no input, maybe throw a delay into its aux loop, then send that output through some kind of distortion into the main mixer
then you can use the no input feedback in addition to something else, as it tends to be kind of binary in terms of it either doesn't make a sound or it makes a heavily clipped one that tends to overwhelm all other inputs into the mixer and you can also send additional random outputs from other pedals into the smaller mixer to further color the sound

To make it more harsh you might need a better amp. Or some EQing. But to get really harsh, youll want a contact mic.

But to add to this, what amp are you using. Because 90% of getting harsh is all in the amp.

>in this "industrial" plug.dj room
>all they play is OONTZ crap

Right now I think I have it as you described. I have one cable going from main out to line in, then one going from main out to the pedals > second channel line in. That did produce the best sound so far. I have no idea how to use the FX send tho...

Probably going to do that eventually, but I just got this today so I'm not sinking any more money into it for a while.

Yeah I'll definitely get one. I was just messing with the mixing board today, tomorrow I'm gonna try adding some more stuff to it

It's just some cheap Stagg guitar amp I had lying around. But the problem is with the pedal setup somewhere, because with most "configs" the sound coming out of the mixer was distorted, but when I turned the distortion pedal on it just made a whiny high pitched noise, almost like feedback, instead of distortion...

You dont have anything plugges into your distortion in the pic. You should plug your fx send in there (though i cant tell if you have one in the pic.) Otherwise just plug a guitar into it for now. Guitar is fine for noise but i dont like it personally. You can still hear a lot of notes and random harmonies being made. But thats just me.

Yeah I unplugged it before taking the pic because I needed space. But it was plugged as I described. How does FX send work? I've been trying to figure it out but couldn't get anything out of it.

Think of the sends as a separate sub-mix that goes only through the effects. The send knob is just a dry/wet for how much of the dry channel signal you want sent to the regular mix and how much you want to go to the effects mix. You can get good feedback chains with that though because you can use it like said without needing a separate mix. Normally you'd send the effect send to the input of your effects, and you'd connect the output of your effects to the return.

When you turn the send knob itll make a feedback loop. Try turning the knobs and see if it does anything.

Also cheap microphones get really harsh the feedback always acts crazy

I can't actually try it now because its night and I'd get called cops at. But I'll try it tomorrow.

Also, when I'm playing, what's the best precaution to not ruin my mix or pedals? Should I stay below the clipping indicator of the main mix or does that not matter?

Yeah I have some stuff I'll be trying out tomorrow, shotgun mic, cheap PC mic, walkman with tape loops and other tape manipulatipns...

hi /noise/
I've been listening to a lot of clipping and merzbeat recently, you got any more recs for noise influenced music/ entry level noise?
thank you

The most important thing is not to plug or unplug anything while amp is on. Clipping doesnt matter if youre doing harsh. If you dont clip you can get more variety of genres though.
Government alpha
Tralphaz
Theologian
Killer bug

Depends on how harsh and experimental do you want it to be. My entry was Whitehouse... If you like clipping., Dälek, B L A C K I E, and Tokyo Death Squad are pretty aight. Throbbing Gristle is always a good entry for any industrial genre, as is Nurse With Would (Homotopy, Soliloquy, Chance Meeting), NON or Monte Cazzaza. Also check out the Audiotrauma label and Sonic Area, 100blumen, Chrysalide, or even Brainbombs... Depends on how noisy and experimental you want it, really.

Are you all down with drone shit in here too?

You aint down fool

Well I fucked that up then, I plugged and unplugged stuff a bunch trying to figure out how to operate it

I am.

yeah, I like some of whitehouse's stuff, but the songs feel to samey for me to listen to a whole album
will listen to the rest of what you posted tho
>Depends on how noisy and experimental you want it, really.
idk what I'm looking for really
I love aggressive crazy noisy stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=erlxkLvB7Ig
but I also love mind emptying relaxing stuff

Thats what my dad told me he said he fucks up the amp if you unplug stuff or in while its on and it makes that noise.

Good to know, thanks. Any precautions I need to take with the mix, or can I just all crank it up and be fine?

Did you listen to old or new Whitehouse? They changed pretty radically. If you want some experimental stuff Premature Ejaculation, Atrax Morgue, Consumer Electronjcs or Sütcliffe Jugend is always fun. Raison d'être for more dark ambienty feel too. I've also been enjoyong some Propergol albums white a bit recently.

>Did you listen to old or new Whitehouse?
only singles so idk
>They changed pretty radically.
okay I'll check them out a bit more
I like theologian a lot so far

power electronic reccs pls
shit like this youtube.com/watch?v=FwiGZfCt0Zs

A lot of anons will disagree, but I think Bird Seed is their best album.

80s Metal is the only acceptable form of music.

Electronic music is faggot garbage. Absolutely. If you listen to it, you are cringeworthy and some retard raver fuccboi.

Classical music is boring. No time for that. I'm a working man.

All other forms of rock are basic bitch trust fundy suburban white boy shlock.

If you listen to music more than during commutes to and from work, you are a subhuman and you are waste (unless you are making money in the music industry.)

youtube.com/watch?v=8puU4ru45M0
youtube.com/watch?v=A9t46Zdq6n8&list=RDMMA9t46Zdq6n8

Anything from Mikko Aspa.
Also Tortura is a nice little PE project that's fairly unknown, but not much like what you posted

>I just noticed they blocked sales of all Nicole 12 albums on discogs

What the fuck

Trepaneringsritualen

where do i find a noise gf

hi /noise/
quick question
wtf happens at noise shows?

will i look like a poseur if i played noise with hearing protection
thank you

nonexistent

I've been in the Czech industrial scene for a while now and there are some amazing and talented people that I'd like to shill if you'll allow me. They've been amazing to me and I'd like to repay them at least this way - these are some of my favorite projects

Instinct Primal
>various forms of industrial, one of our most successful artists, split with Contagious Orgasm, collab with Hasegawa, remixed HECATE, V/A comp with Wolf Eyes among others...
soundcloud.com/instinct-primal

STOR
>noisy industrial, some field recordings
bandzone.cz/stor
(Someone shared their CD here in a shatethread)

Magadan
>power electronics, collaborated with Institution D.O.L
soundcloud.com/magadan-4

rowdy stuff
Well right now you only have one input so you're not really mixing anything. You should get an 1/8 inch converted so you can plug in a smartphone into one of your inputs and play stuff off that so you have another layer. But whenever I mix I record every instruments I'm using separately. In my case I use a contact mic and a vst synthesizers. Then I just rearrange clips, I usually don't mix them together. Whenever I play live I do mix everything but I just do it by ear. But generally you want everything to be clipping if you want it to be harsh. If not and you want to make some sort of ambient, then yeah not clipping and having several layers helps. But yeah clipping isn't necessarily a bad thing in noise and you won't really be able to tell it's effects. Just make sure you can hear everything you're using. Because if you do play shows, people will notice what knobs you're turning and whether or not it actually did anything.

Cool sounds like dark ambient

Sorry, I meant the actual mixer as in the hardware, not the sound levels. Should have been clearer. I read everywhere that cranking out loud noises on them kills them quick, so I was wonderig what's the best way to treat it gentler

I use an audio interface and all my mixers are digital. But youll probably be fine. Your pedals will most likely be the first to go.

usually a smaller but better crowd than other diy type shows
average age is older, less pseudo-political and lifestyle posturing. greater variety of sounds + people are more familiar with their gear. all things that lead to a better experience.

The people at noise shows here were always amazing. I got people I never met coming to me and introducing themselves and shit, all friendly guys.

Bump

Is that why Nine Inch Nails just doesn't sound like industrial to me? All his stuff just sounds like edgy club music.

It is edgy club music.

Can someone explain to me how that stuff is considered industrial, even though it doesn't seem to have much to do with guys like Einstürzende or Throbbing Gristle?

his early stuff was angry angst stuff, his later stuff...he's never been edgy imo

This. The noise crowd is great, even in a big city where I'm used to only the biggest assholes at most shows

Its not, most people arent music enthusiasts.

oontz? idk its all club shit and it's garbage. it doesnt belong in industrial..belongs somewhere else.

But was it ever really industrial?

most of what passes for industrial music is just synth pop in denial

Because it evolved from EBM, which basically evolved from industrial, and because all old industrial artists went on to do stuff that was nothing like the first wave (Coil would be a good example). TG and Neubauten are just a part of the industrial umbrella now, and while it may be annoying at first, who am I to bitch about it when all of the founders don't give a shit or participate actively in evolving it..

>theologian
How to go through his catalogue though user, he seems to have no quality control tbqh.

>mfw there's a new Genocide Organ compilation with the Save Our Slaves and Klan Kountry tracks
>a Zos Kia comp with possible music that Coil were involved with
>new Grim EP that by the way why hasn't a rip surfaced yet :(
>new Kleistwahr by the end of the year
>new JFK announced for 2018
>new Trepaneringsritualen and Grey Wolves (thank you based TESCO Germany)

Bump

Sutekh Hexen is pretty cool if you're into Black metal.

Moodie Black is a noise rap group kinda like Dalek and Death Grips.

Dreamcrusher is a really awesome noise artist that uses beats and not just formless shit. Check out Canal de Holograms by him if you're into Merzbeat

Not new to Noise or Noise Rock, but new to making it. How would I achive the classic metallicy sound of Albini esque guitars. Everything sounds so brittle and I wanna mess around with it. Any ideas?

EQ pedal is what youre looking for. That and overdrive pedal, amp, effects etc.

good fucking luck replicating Albini's guitar tone, I've never seen anyone do it or been able to figure it out myself

ded

Start here
youtube.com/watch?v=euHoHdpGOa0

Reminder that if you listen to Ramleh, Whitehouse, Merzbow or any of that other shitty feedback noise you're what's wrong with these generals.

what kind of noise do you consider good?

Swans, Big Black, Fuck Buttons

anyone reccommend a set up for noisey black metal?

Invested recently in a rat pedal, any other fx recs?

looking for this kind of sound (especially the drone intro)

youtube.com/watch?v=RQjb8Jy7ams

Is this bait?