How come holograms and the ships computers like this fuck , The stuid 60s Vic from DS9...

How come holograms and the ships computers like this fuck , The stuid 60s Vic from DS9, and the Doctor all understand comedy and love and emotions but Data doesnt ? Clearly a computer is capable of this but Datas computer brain can't?

Did you even watch the episode?

Data's designer intentionally made Data less human-like because people were disturbed by Lore, who was too human and fell into the uncanny valley.

The holodeck computer simulates emotional responses, and doesn't actually have genuine emotions of its own to express.
There is a difference between simulating emotions, and actually having emotions.

you can program a computer to tell a joke, or to simulate laughter it doesn't mean it understands what it's doing

Our brains are just bio-chemical computers

Moriarty and the Doctor are proof that the ships computer can create sentient intelligent thinking feeling beings

Yea yea yea.

First of all Data's character was created basically to provide the same analytical external point of view to the show in the same way as Spock, but since Vulcans had been proven to be capable of emotions Data's character provided a more solid way for a character to provide a more logical conclusion without the burden of emotions as distraction.

So, then the series tries to expand on Data not having emotions which is like many shows, creating content that far exceeds the original formula.

So, yes, it is probably wrong. It happens with long running shows that exceed expectations. Deal with it, or die.

>Making excuses for this inconsistent hippy garbage
You poop spawns need to realize the writers of these shit shows don't care about logic and reason, they just want their paychecks

this is such an awful episode

are you telling me there were no significant stand up comics in almost 400 years besides jerry lewis and fucking joe piscapo?

roddenberry is a hack

>Jerry Lewis
Nerds trying to be classy

It's actually in the show

I'm the same person as Although it wasn't a shit show. It lasted seven seasons in syndication at one of the highest budgets of the time. It practically changed syndicated TV programing, and expanding production on syndicated shows.

By seven seasons the cast became expensive, and the movie production companies wanted their piece of the pie.

It wasn't a shit show at all. It is still enjoyable. Fuck you and your fucked up binary thinking. For you its either shit, or epic. Your 2-d brain is a real fuck up of evolution.

>Point out a glaring plothole is thinking the show is shit

>Giving meta excuses for the shows writing

Sorry that you have to admit Data is literally an autistic computer

Data is actually sentient. The holograms aren't.

yes they are

Listen muchacho, I concede it's actually a decent show, but for little girly men to actually revere it as a rich fictional universe is pathetic. It's just a bunch of slimy assholes sitting in a room, engaging in philosophical waxing, bouncing shitty ideas of each other, until they can come up with a script to justify their jobs (assume past tense). That's it. Star Trek is science fiction for people with Down Syndrome

The TNG comedian isnt, its debatable whether Vic is sentient, Doctor is for undeniably sentient

I don't know about the doctor because I haven't seen voyager, but isn't that set years after Data's creation? technology might have caught up with Dr Soong's work.

The ship's computer is an artificial intelligence, although it seems to have very little free will. Normally when it creates a hologram character, it's like chatbot- pre-programmed responses and some word-association googling to make it seem real, but it's not true AI. Moriarty was the exception because the computer was told to make something equal to Data. It needed a chief engineer's clearance because creating AI carelessly is a bad idea, but apparently Geordie is retarded and didn't see the risk.

you could make the argument that having a human crew at all is a dumb idea when they have such amazing computers, but everyone in star trek is a luddite who hates change, and >50% of AI turns evil for dramatic purposes.

The doctor doesn't start off as sentient, but progresses towards it with all the alien tech and modifications shoved up his ass. The holograms are not sentient, just ELIZA style facsimiles of sentience, as tricking a person into thinking a simulation is sentient is extremely easy. Whereas data was designed from the ground up to be sentient, rather than an imitation of sentience.

Vic's on comments on how he doubts hes just a lightbulb are clear indications he is not sentient.

you have to factor in a few things. data has a limited amount of space to replicate human thought and emotion. hologram fucks have the entire ship. you basically asking why cant your smart phone play crysis3 and no streaming doesnt count

another thing is when data was made. at last check he was made well before the enterprise. in this scenario your asking why some reel to reel punch card shit cant play crysis3

I came to this realization recently but don't know where to start with actual science fiction. Got any suggestions?

>It's just a bunch of slimy assholes sitting in a room, engaging in philosophical waxing

Yes, and like many elements sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. I enjoyed it when it did work. TNG wasn't as complex, or ground breaking as TOS, but it is better than most of what I see today.
Your whole retard analogy is shit. Sometimes I like a mechanical story with structure that allows it to be enjoyable instead of being such is as you pretending something is so intelligent because it distracts with quick cut scenes.

No he is an imitation of sentience.

Lore was lying when he said that, Dr. Soong told him in Brothers.

Delusions don't preclude sentience.

A computer program that thinks it is a real person is not sentient or self-aware.

It means that he's the computer equivalent of otherkin.

Otherkin are delusional but sentient.

Lore was lying when he said data was made first. Telling the truth when he said Lore was too close to human thus disturbing to people.

The Doctor is more advanced but he wasn't always sapient, it developed over time as he's an AI with the ability to learn that got left on for a long, long time. They also had to graft an additional holomatrix on top of his own because he filled up his space hard drive or whatever, so he's also not a standard hologram.

Voyager is bad, but it's worth watching for The Doctor.

You're confusing belief with capability. A self-aware computer program would be capable of understanding and modifying it's own workings. The people you're referring to are a direct example of this.

This argument also states people in general are not sentient.

Ok just ignore the sentience argument as a whole

Why doesnt Data just copy and paste the fucking comedy / love algorithms that perfectly replicate human emotions and use them?

Because he wanted to understand them.

Its the difference between rote memorization and understanding the material.

No because he just plugged the emotion chip into his ass and learned it all instantly without understanding it

Im sure the emotion chip is just more advanced algorithms than what the holograms use, what else would it be

>haven't watched that episode for 20+ years and still remember it perfectly

why can't I die1

None of the characters in the movies behave like themselves from the TV show

The movies are shit.

Also humans don't understand their own emotions, data wants to be more human, ergo.

Data is a self sustaining and building lifeform. The hologram is an interactive recording, or simulation.

>Lore also told me that the colonists petitioned you to replace him with a less perfect android.

>The last thing you should think of yourself as, Data, is less perfect. The two of you are virtually identical, except for a bit of programming.

Dunno, but remember when the EMS tried that? He ended up with a schitzoid personality.

Those statements aren't contradictory.

Why don't I just run iOS programs on my Android phone?

You are all morons. You mean sapient, not sentient.

He got the emotion chip in season 7 tho from Lore

sapeint means monkey you retar

data isn't pre programmed he is trying to understand comedy on a holistic level while the computer is just recreating comedy acts

But he didn't use it because show Data is smarter than movie Data.

>But Data, we're in the middle of a mission right now! Why can't you just wait until you're on vacation before activating your emotion chip?

And he didn't use it because he knew it was a bad idea.

Sentient is the term they use in the show, everyone knows what they mean.

all descriptions of consciousness are entirely philosophical because we have no empirical model of sentience. So all words to describe it are part of the same quagmire of inanity.

>Just biological computers
>Just

Fucking moron

I truly dislike people such as you. You complain about everything without providing of what demonstrates some higher form of entertainment. What you've done, what you do is also easy because it only requires that you to shoot down whatever target is presented to you.

I truly wish people such as you could look deeper and understand how robotic you really are.
What you enjoy might be very uninteresting to me, not because of my intelligence, but because of your lack of experience and understanding.
Sometimes something with a direct answer is more satisfying than content disguised with pointless misdirection.

Is it any worse than Babylon 5 bringing on Penn and Teller?

Remove Joe Piscopo and you still have a bad episode.

Remove Penn & Teller and you have a good episode.

Clear proof that TNG belongs in the trash.