What's the most genuinely disturbing horror movie you have watched?

What's the most genuinely disturbing horror movie you have watched?

Need something good to watch this weekend

Pic potentially related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xW_08LCWp34
vimeo.com/18781528
youtube.com/watch?v=RsjMcEqjZ-c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"The Fly" (1986)

Martyrs (French original)

My pick goes for Hellraiser. But OP you should also watch The Exorcist III. It's one helluva movie, seriously underrated. It's very surreal and has many "hidden" symbolism and demonic activity happening on the background of the scene.

The Thing I guess
was terrified as a kid

Would I need to watch the second one as well? Or can skip it?

This scene still gives me chills
youtube.com/watch?v=xW_08LCWp34

Kek absolutely not. Don't even mention that atrocity of a film. Friedkin, Blatty, Blair and even John Boorman (the director of it) disowned it. There is no such thing as The Exorcist II. It never happened.

Part III (originally called Legion) is absolutely creepy, perhaps even more than the original in some scenes. The first hour or so is amazing. Also, Blatty directed it.

I know its not a film but the majority of black mirror stayed with me for a couple days.

Inside (2007) and Eden Lake

Thanks, haven't seen these (seen Inside, but not Eden Lake)

Hellraiser

Something about this movie bugs me to no end, but in a good way.

Buio Omega, GODDAMMIT.

The Priests.

It Follows and The Signs are the only two horror movies that do it for me

Signs? The alien movie?

the internet spoiled this movie for me and im still salty about it. Tbh though other than the monster scenes I couldn't help but feel that it dragged on and on.

any recommendations for something that's currently on netflix/amazon?

Well, Signs is more of a thriller I suppose

>tfw I couldn't save my friend from getting Scream spoiled.

I also blame Scary Movie.

I enjoyed the babadook and of coarse jaws.

I cant believe that nobody mentioned this scary motherfucker yet

I got so disappointed by Alien. I think I fucked up watching the Directors cut

>like 45 minutes of nothing
>chestburster
>slight glimpse of the alien
>another hour of nothing
>alien shows up for some minutes
>the end

>aliens goes full action and aliens die like roaches now
>alien3 fucks up over the aliens ending
>resurrection went full retarded
>fucking Prometheus

>babadook

Yeah, I saw this, enjoyed it too, they did a good job of making me hate the kid.

The Descent, I think it's still on Netflix

Nah you watched the right version, you're just a straight up pleb

>the right version
oh, then its shit.

The ending is fucking disturbing.
The rest of the movie is alright.

Such a cool movie

Last 15 minutes of The Borderlands freaked me out a bit. Audition is fairly strange but works better if you know less about it before watching it. Martyrs is pretty good, for old school stuff I'd say original Texas Chainsaw, Possession, The Devils...

fuck this movie

Goldblum is amazing.

The movie itself isn't all that great, but it's disturbing.

It's all about the psychological disposition and buildup for me. And I like how most the demonic scenes are short and vague save for a few.

I will never, ever comprehend how people find that scene to be scary.

It's so insanely predictable that it loses all tension before the reveal.

Bored, then an amazing ending out of fucking nowhere. I enjoyed it but I don't know if I would reccomend it for anyone

That Wes Craven movie about voodoo magic in Haiti whose name I forgot

I've only actually seen the ending for that, so the rest is boring?

Alien and Aliens is all you need, ignore that other shit

Threads (1984)

It's the most frightening movie I have never watched. It's on my to do list but the idea of the whole movie is so repulsive I've never gone as far as watching the whole thing.

vimeo.com/18781528

If you're into incredibly dated 80's slasher tropes and genuine wtf moments
like I am
then you'll enjoy it

Can't really explain it user. As soon as he walks out the hair at the back of my neck stands up and I get an intense feeling that something is gonna be there when I look behind

The Serpent and the Rainbow
That movie was better than what i was expecting.

Noroi.

It's not as bad as you are making it out to be

It's not that bad IMO, yes depressing, but still an interesting movie

The Threadsmind

The War Game is also very similar to Threads

is this a meme?
imo the movie was honestly terrible with nothing happen for most of it coupled with autistic japanese acting.
it was pretty much just your average found footage horror flick except with a larger amount of boring shit in between

I can promise you skipping Exorcist II is worth doing. It has no positives.

Rec is the most adrenaline-pumping horror movie I've seen. The feeling of urgency of the characters is perfectly transmitted to the view.

Being serious in the unironic sense of the word.

This movie is great, but the very ending is the only actually disturbing part. The rest is just humorous.

*the viewer
durr

The Shining and The Ring were the two movies that genuinely scared me

>after all those years he still thinks those were Ayyy Lmaos

I never get sick of The Shining

What?

Possession and Eyes Without a Face.

quads confirm

is Ringu worth watching?

I second Hellraiser. I was just thinking about it earlier today and should rewatch it. The VHS segment with the boyfriend and girlfriend talking on the computer was also really disturbing to me.

Old horror movies are mostly garbage and yall judging with nostalgia goggles

Please rec then

It's not bad

Pic related wasn't really "scary" at all, but was absolutely disturbing

Exorcist didn't really do much for me. The sound design is great, and the scene where she walks on all fours all fucked up is pretty shocking but outside of that I can't really point to something that memorable

Prince of Darkness

Noroi if you don't mind it being Japanese.

it's more of a horror leaning thriller than straight horror

new horror movies are mostly garbage, it's a pretty campy genre and there are only so many great films within it.

all great picks

The sequels are actually pretty fun, but nothing tops this.First one is probably the only I'd label "disturbing". one of my favorite camp slashers.

OP, I'd recommend the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Mothman Prophecies?

Mothman Prophecies may or may not hit for you. I saw it as a 10 or 11 year old child and it really really creeped me out.

The original Wicker Man does it for me, but there are elements of the movie that may turn you off for being "dated".

Pet Cemetery.

The original cut would have been way better. Way more graphic.

The Road is probably the only movie that has ever stuck with me like that. I had read the book, but there's something about film that affects you stronger.

literally not a single horror movie with a better atmosphere
youtube.com/watch?v=RsjMcEqjZ-c

I've been checking out more and more English folk movies, and while I've found some decent ones, nothing compares to Wicker Man so far. I'd recommend you check out Robin Redbreast sometime soon anyway. Deals with similar themes of folk rituals.

never heard of it but will check it out, cheers mate
also not folk horror but an excellent cult horror similar to wicker man is the devils
also might like santa sangre which is quite eccentric like the wicker man too

I just watched The Devils a few days ago and loved it. I'm also familiar with Santa Sangre and really like that one as well. Thanks anyway.

If you have ADD and can't keep your attention for building the setting and getting an understanding of space and living there. since thats an easy task and character development to the point where if you go in blind you really dont have an idea of who the main character is because each character has some depth to them.

then yeah, I guess its shit.

The Chekist

The Wailing is a Korean one from this year. Super long and very strange, but excellent, beautifully directed and terrifying on several levels.

>ctrl+f "castle freak"
>0 results

Fuck that movie traumatized me. So underrated.

the 480p rip i had was such low quality and it was like c grade direction and acting and sets so i gave up after 45 minutes. does it get better in the end?

The Ring still occasionally freaks me out. I'll be alone in a room with a TV at night or something and I swear I hear that overly elongated screeching sound from the tape.

Candyman when I was 11 years old.

Also the Ring for a week

Alien isn't scary anymore because the xenomorph is too ingrained into popculture now. Kids who've never seen any of the original movies know what it is.

Horror or not is debatable, but Eraserhead is pretty unsettling. Otherwise:

The Exorcist
Hellraiser
The Ring
The Changeling (1980)

so did he rip his dingdong off or not?

Link to scene?

The Exorcist and The Shining are the two best horror films ever made

Quentin Tarantino BTFO It Follows
He [writer-director David Robert Mitchell] could have kept his mythology straight. He broke his mythology left, right, and center. We see how the bad guys are: They're never casual. They're never just hanging around. They've always got that one look, and they always just progressively move toward you. Yet in the movie theater, the guy thinks he sees the woman in the yellow dress, and the girl goes, “What woman?” Then he realizes that it's the follower. So he doesn't realize it's the follower upon just looking at her? She’s just standing in the doorway of the theater, smiling at him, and he doesn’t immediately notice her? You would think that he, of anybody, would know how to spot those things as soon as possible. We spotted them among the extras.

The movie keeps on doing things like that, not holding on to the rules that it sets up. Like, okay, you can shoot the bad guys in the head, but that just works for ten seconds? Well, that doesn't make any fucking sense. What's up with that? And then, all of a sudden, the things are aggressive and they're picking up appliances and throwing them at people? Now they're strategizing? That's never been part of it before. I don't buy that the thing is getting clever when they lower him into the pool. They're not clever.

Also, there’s the gorgeously handsome geeky boy — and everyone's supposed to be ignoring that he's gorgeous, because that’s what you do in movies — that kid obviously has no problem having sex with her and putting the thing on his trail. He's completely down with that idea. So wouldn't it have been a good idea for her to fuck that guy before she went into the pool, so then at least two people could see the thing? It’s not like she'd have been tricking him into it. It’s what I would've done.

Noroi: The Curse

The whole movie is creepy but the ending stands up to scare the shit outta me, very surreal.

Who gives a shit what he has to say about a movie that plays off everyone's fear of being stalked because of a one night stand? That's all it fucking is. Maybe if it had Samuel L Jackson getting a blowjob in the snow from a naked white guy QT would have liked it more.

I was pleasently surprised by the taking of debra logan
Hellraiser
Re-Animator

He pretty much hit the nail on the head. Ive said i before and i'll say it again, It Follows was like a film adaption of a badly written creepypasta. There are too many rules and half of it doesn't make any sense

>it's a monster and it follows you all the time but it can't run and the only way to get rid of it is to have sex with someone but it's invisible so people can't see it except for you but if it's chased you before you can see it sometimes it takes the shape of people the characters know and sometimes it doesn't and also sometimes it wears mascara for no reason and and sometimes it's naked for no reason and also you can't kill it but it will die for a bit if you shoot it in the head but then it heals itself fully and also it kills you by dry humping you but you get mutilated in the process

Audition is creepy as fuck if you haven't had it spoiled already. Tale of two sisters is enjoyable. Phobia 1 and 2 are good for anthologies