American cities?

Do cities in the US like Los Angeles have ABSOLUTELY no center/downtown?
It's so bizarre, it's like there's nothing but homes, cars and roads leading to nowhere.

Where do people go to for fun? Isn't there a central location where most people go for a walk/drinks etc like most european cities?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm guessing it's this street

No, there's no such thing as Downtown L.A.

Are you being sarcastic? Because a few skyrises don't make it a social place.

looks like a hellish brutal place

I thought that image was of China before I read the thread

wtf LA

You're right, it's not a real city unless all the buildings are 3 stories tall max like in E*rope.

Americans will defend this

Looks comfy as fuck.
10/10
Would live here.

Not really. A long time ago Downtown LA probably was the downtown. Most the area and indeed the entire western united states received the bulk of it;s development post ww2 in the age of auto-centric planned cities. It's why they're smoggy anti-social unlivable shitholes.

>butthurt American doesn't understand the objection

Are you talking about walking streets with no cars?

I assume the downtown L.A is considered the downtown of L.A

Regular streets that are pedestrian-friendly and where people have a lot of things to do in a small area, not highways with a sidewalk.

Wtf this looks worse than Algiers

Yeah, we have those in every city, some cities will have a few areas like that.

We don't really have that, and not to the extent euros do. Some big cities might have a token single street like that, but that's about it.

fuck off, the french built part of algier is great.

I know that, but I had high expectations for American cities

UAE user, its not like Abu Dhabi or Dubai are any better?

I'm Algerian.
And Sharjah is even better

It's not but it doesn't matter. Arabs are just copying our cities because they think it makes them look rich.

Well Sharjah's still a bitch to drive in but dope as hell otherwise, same with Bur Dubai. I guess my question is what did you expect from US cities?

I expected LA in particular to be mostly coastal, less smoggy, bit trees here and there, skyscrapers near the coast and not far back, no urban sprawl.
Please quote posts when replying to them by clicking on the post number.

Also you been to UAE?

>American cities

HAHAHAAHA

La's kind of like a cancerous parking lot.

Still my favorite city though

Oh yeah oops re: quoting. I'm gonna live in LA for 6 weeks starting July. Looking less and less forward to it. BTW the way you describe your expectations sounds more like Beirut, haha

Lived in UAE (AD) four years, going back in September, but shit wtf is going on with Qatar?

Why your favorite city? I'll be going to live in Culver City for 6 weeks and am worried I'll hate LA and regret the money I dropped on rent already.

>Where do people go to for fun? Isn't there a central location where most people go for a walk/drinks etc like most european cities?

This still hasn't been answered. I can't imagine a city without something like that.

Los Angeles has a downtown but because of urban sprawl the city became a collection of small cities. Think of Los Angeles as simply a regional term.

LA sucks shit for Tourism.
It's gonna suck.
I like LA, unironically, for the diversity.

Not tourisming.
Trying to see if I'll want to move there vs. UAE/current US shithole I live in/Shanghai

Have you considered a different city?

Americans have cars and big properties, so either drive to malls/hip gentrified neighborhoods/local nature
Or shoot shit in their backyards and grill hot dogs

New York, though I lived there for a month and got really shitty vibes, like the city was a power hungry dystopia full of libtarded wannabes

>hip gentrified neighborhoods

And what do you do there?

West Hollywood but it's fucking trash
On the West Side you're gonna get all the worst stereotypes of LA unironically personified. Depends on what you're looking for

Act like a smug asshole and piss off poor Mexicans with your presence

Park car
Meet friends at pre-arranged spot
Get coffee
Window shop
Visit Apple Store
Get pastries
People watch
Get California Pizza Kitchen
Walk to car
Drive home

Basically Boycotts and shit.

Nobody talks about Qatar.

Well I guess now I kinda know. Thanks

me_embodying shitty LA stereotype: I have money saved up, so with that I want to throw everything into acting and music (techno & Flume-like electronic) and try to turn those pursuits into a career

Downtown is where all the skyscrapers and the business district is. Bars, restaurants, nightlife etc are all within walking distance and it's where the culture of the city is.

Yeah I get that, I guess I just don't get what's the motivation. Like, seems like Saudi is trying to shake loose of US influence, taking advantage of current chaos in the White House, and UAE is dragged along because Saudi agression is a more immediate fear than US backlash

Why do Americans hate walking?

Downtown LA is none of that, its depressingly empty. No one is there at night except for roving gangs of hobos and muggers.

>have no directional sense
>can't navigate a grid to save my life
>get lost in NYC using GPS
>"the fucking streets are NUMBERED, user!" - mom when I have to call her and tell her I'm lost
>move to Germany
>literally streets going fucking random directions
>names with no clear pattern
>cities built around ley lines
>convinced the Nordic countries build their's under elvish instructions
I love your continent, but holy fuck, I give it two more months, tops, before I get lost in some ghetto and get my kidneys stolen.

Too far/nothing to walk to/too fat from generations of driving/only homeless and the poor walk

Some Minnesotans seemed too enthusiastic about being able to walk in Istanbul.

"OMG LOOK AT ME. I AM IN A MUSLIM COUNTRY. SO DIVERSE GUYS. LETME TALK TO THIS ONLY HIJABI TURKISH GIRL IN THIS CAFE AND IGNORE EVERYONE ELSE CUZ I AM HERE FOR DIVERSITY. HAI I AM MINNESOTAN I LOV UR CUNTRY. ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE. YAY!!"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

Leftists have an obsession with anything non-western/foreign. Part of a inner sense of weakness or self loathing projected onto western civilization most likely.

all Americans have cars and most have multiple cars so it would be silly to design our cities around walking

>Europe
>ghetto
We're not Americans.

One of those things came first dummy our car culture came out of our city designs.
You are now, enjoy the multikulti and cultural enrichment.

>live in a sub 1000 people municipality
>1 main street with 2 stores, a bar and a bank
>still get lost when im drunk

Actually it's silly to design them around cars because it exponentially increases the resource demand for maintaining them. In addition to having to having to spend hundreds of hours a year behind the steering wheel of car for even the most basic trips, here's a quick reminder that the USA are $2 trillion behind on infrastructure maintenance because they're built more roads than they can afford maintaining, and are collectively $1 trillion in debt for cars because it's impossible to live without them outside of NYC and maybe SF. Car centric city planning also promotes wealth segregation and therefore social conflict.

you're a fucking retard mate. there were very few cities in America prior to the invention of cars and the ones that were here were very small.

fortunately we have unlimited resources so that really isn't our problem lmoa

>fortunately we have unlimited resources
Nope.

>you're a fucking retard mate. there were very few cities in America prior to the invention of cars and the ones that were here were very small.
You're the fucking retard if you think cities didn't exist before cars.
>what is every city on the east coast

>Boston
>NYC
>Philadelphia
>Small

I see you didn't read the last half of my post. More than half of the buildings in any east coast city were built after cars were invented, not before.

the size of those cities prior to 1911 is dwarf-tier compared to their size afterwards. they were designed with cars in mind.

Everywhere you are is fun in America, you're in America and you're having fun.

Its like if you're not having fun in America or smiling every few minutes or laughing. Something is seriously fucking wrong with you and you should off yourself.

>I see you didn't read the last half of my post. More than half of the buildings in any east coast city were built after cars were invented, not before.
No shit, what does it fucking matter? That's not proving any point. The cities burst outwards in sprawl to accommodate the new auto-centric designs anybody who has studies anything about the evolution of cities knows this.

This post was sponsored by the United States Anti-Depressant Prescription Association, prescriptions now available with 0% financing, terms may apply.

you know for an user who posted the best poké you sure are stupid.

there's literally nothing wrong with this image

euros just being europoors

Depends on the city. Atlanta, Georgia, literally has 3 "downtowns".

And they're all full of niggers.

Yea Chicago is based around a dense urban core with a hub-and-spoke public transit system.

Americans don't defend Mexico City
Quite the contrary

I think you are bit retarded...

>streets look different thus easily recognizable

What's your problem

There are no American cities like the Old World. Maybe if we had been poor enough during the early 1900's to build cities around walking instead of the car we'd have cities like you see in France, Spain, and Italy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

>educated yank with meaningful contribution gets ignored
>retards get replies, and ameribear memes made out of them

never change, Sup Forums

There isn't an upvote button and there is nothing more to add, so you get zero replies. That's how this place works.

He's an american that answered your question though. Logically you'd start a conversation with him to learn more about the urban form in american cities.

From the thread you replied to sarcastic or unhelpful yanks

>thinking OP actually wanted to have a conversation or learn anything
you got a lot to learn about this place boy

have a nice informational picture as compensation

kek

ive been on Sup Forums for like 4 years, Sup Forums for must longer

im just kind of getting sick of europeans thinking theyre inherently better informed than north americans, its obnoxious

>im just kind of getting sick of europeans thinking theyre inherently better informed than north americans
For the most part, they kind of are. I mean, the bar is set rather low. You'd have to be Eastern European, Italian or a Turk/Greek to naturally fall below that.

>For the most part, they kind of are.
Americans are the most prolific posters on Sup Forums. There's bound to be vocal idiots. And also friendly reminder that australians are responsible for most of the shitposting on this board

I said for the most part, not all, user.
>And also friendly reminder that australians are responsible for most of the shitposting on this board
Jesus, you that green? Do you really buy into that arsehurt bitching old mootykins went on with from time to time?

If it's any consolation, when I went to your country I studiously avoided eye contact with the natives. Which wasn't hard since they all avoided me.

>imblying that most Americans even have access to anti-depressants

you think too highly of us, Kraut.

>thinking
erm sweetie it's true, not just an abstract thought

>unlimited resources

Amerimath...

why ? expensive ?

>look at a random city on the north on Streetview
>look at a random city to the south
>look at random city on the east coast
>look at random city on the wet coast

>they all look exactly the same

Why do Americans do that? It's fucking creepy.

youre looking at the new build suburbs silly

the city centres in those places have unique architecture

basically anything made after 1950 is unprocessed garbage in america

this. LA tries to meme itself as palm trees and beaches but is really a dusty polluted desert

>run out of oil
>shoot someone
>more oil
that's their prespective desu.

>Xatu
>best anything

but muh f150

Question for Yuros/other non-Americans - What is your post-WW2 architecture and city planning like? Because here in Burgerland it's all cookie cutter shit past 1945 with no regard for human needs built only with cars in mind

80s houses looked good though.

In Greece there was a housing boom in the 70s.

The government defines 2 types of city borders, say A and B. You can build multistorey buildings in A, and lower, more scarce buildings in area B. You can't build shit in other areas.

So you get the typical Greek town with a heavily populated core, a "suburb" with sparser 1-2 story houses and then agricultural fields.

All buildings are reinforced concrete and mansonry due to strict earthquake guidelines, that's one thing that's actually enforced in Greece.

I don't follow

Sure, they're better than today's monstrosities (pic related), but they still don't stack up to the pre-WW2 stuff.