Indycar gen

Alonso got me looking into this sport. Lets talk about it.

Basic intro for F1 fags:
youtube.com/watch?v=qc20ySwKjmI

Other urls found in this thread:

cms.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03-10-Manufacturers-aligned-for-future
youtube.com/watch?v=3_5_zYHggyk
youtube.com/watch?v=8aJ1Pvfay8M
youtube.com/watch?v=wb11QBMSe3c
youtube.com/watch?v=cUGHGq1uoak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, why does Alonso hate birds?

First fo Marco Andretti

How are there more rugby than Indy fans on here

generals can take some time to get started senpai

i remember a few years ago there were no f1 threads ever. i started one once for a GP and it got like 50 posts tops

I like JR's new hairstyle. Is he racing full time this year or is he on a limited schedule?

He's back to full schedule actually and doing pretty well IMO. I think hes 12th or 13th.

cms.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03-10-Manufacturers-aligned-for-future

WE got 4 more manufacturors in talks for next season. Whos it going to be?

Whoever it is i hope they dont get discouraged if they lose a lot. Sounds stupid but it really bums me when a manufacturer joins a really crowded series, gets close but doesnt win, and just quits.

Someone has to lose.

I miss those times when I still lived in BR when SBT broadcasted every single Indy race live. I remember that I saw Jeff Krosnoff and Greg Moore dying live.

>How are there more rugby than Indy fans on here

Because more kids get introduced to games like rugby, soccer, football, and basketball than they do motorsports.

Motorsports have always been a niche sport.

Ford, Toyota, mercedes, and idk

the same 2 we've had for the last decade

every year there is the same few companies looking to rebadge the cosworths, and nothing ever happens

>muh alonso
>muh 500

Dodge

Prob alfa romeo

who /indy/ this weekend?

I like motor racing on circuits. I like bicycle racing on ovals. Somehow that doesn't add up to liking motor racing on ovals.

nigga got a podium last race with a broken hand

This weekend's race is a road circuit

That's because he used his magic mullet powers to dampen the pain.

FUCK HINCH
LEAFS OUT OF INDY
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Give me a quick run down on indy

zzzzzzoooooooommmmmmm

A L O T I O N M O T I O N

Personally I like the indy road course. Much better than the old version with the last turn they added. I don't know if i like the z thing better than the big turn near the start though.

Hope its better than phoenix but that shouldn't be hard. W sochi being a disappointment I'm ready for sOme good racing

Penske wins lol

Why are they dominant? Could paginaud do well in F1? Well if he had a good car. The eternal problem with F1 is none of the drivers can compete because of their car. The constructor aspect is cool but atleaaf in Indy Honda can win.

I don't want you to be the only non-American poster in the thread.

I don't think we'll ever see another IndyCar driver like Montoya jumping into F1 unless said IndyCar driver is seriously rich.

The rising trend in F1 is teams and manufacturers sponsoring kids at the grass roots level and funding them through youth programs and grass roots formula's pretty much until they get there F1 seat, this weeds out a lot of the shitters as they just stop funding them if start getting exposed.

Hamilton and Vettel for example have been sponsored by Mercedes and RedBull respectivel since they were basically 11 year olds in gokarts.

Only way I can forsee an Indycar driver getting into F1 currently is the Stroll-way, paying basically a 100 million dollars for a seat.

If IndyCar drivers could afford that they would already be in formula one lol

They only won 2 races so far

I want to go to the Indy Grand Prix some day, unfortunate it overlaps with mother's day. I miss going to the f1 races there

It isn't like Montoya was a real Indycar driver anyway. He was already part of Williams before he went to CART and it was like an early version of a young driver program.

so what does one have to do to be a "real IndyCar driver" in your eyes then?

Isn't it obvious? Montoya's situation was far different from having someone like Dixon or Power suddenly get a ride in F1. I know autists like to argue everything but this is pretty black and white.

I think Montoya would still consider himself a "real Indy driver" but yeah none of those guys have a shot, it was definitely a different time and a different situation

>all these F1 fans coming to watch their first indycar race, expecting some grand spectacle
Spoiler: Indy is one of, if not THE, worst race on the calendar. Like Monaco, despite it's fame, the track is awful for modern cars.
Please don't judge the series on this one race.

I feel that's the case for Paginaud but I'd but few American drivers gave a shit about F1 until they were already great in NASCAR/INDY and realized F1 is a thing.

It would be fun if there was a Ryder cup style thing where F1 and Indy drivers raced the same circuit once a year against eachother as some kind of team deal.

Yeah, the Indy GP that nobody will watch will be a much better race.

The 500 is only interesting because its 101 years old and the average speed is 218 mph.

Indycar's fun to watch because all the cars are competitive even though they are not all the same.

F1 has better technology but its not going to be fun to watch one team win every race just because they have the best constructor.

the 500 is the best race on the schedule so if they don't like it tbf they should probably stick to follow the leader

It's older than that, this will the be the 101st running there were some years it didn't happen

That was surprisingly interesting. Thanks user.

>Penske wins lol

What do you expect from a top-tier race team? Failure?

Penske has won in Indy, Cup, and super-V8's this year, because that's what good race teams do.

>The eternal problem with F1 is none of the drivers can compete because of their car.

Most of the F1 fans on Sup Forums don't really seem to care about competition.

from what I gather the actual racing in f1 is secondary to the cars, I don't know why they bother with the wdc

It's just a different kind of competition.
More of a constructor's championship than a driver's, obviously the driver is an important part of F1, since the teams build the best possible cars according to the regulations, it stands to reason that they want the best possible driver to squeeze the most performance out of it.
I believe F1 drivers are the best circuit racers on earth, they devoted their entire life to it and honed it to a science, but there's more disciplines than circuit racing, so to call them the best in general is not an accurate statement.
F1 gives the best drivers headaches when they have an awful car or engine. Alonso is a prime example.

Next year m8's.

The contours and curves look great.

Much better. I still wish they would let the back wheels stick out more like the f1 car though

The fuck is wrong with this thread?

Ralph F1 Qualifying lap Indy Road Course
youtube.com/watch?v=3_5_zYHggyk

Pagenaud Qualifying lap Indy Road (updated final turn)
youtube.com/watch?v=8aJ1Pvfay8M

The real thing that sticks out is how much more downforce and braking the F1 cars have.

Acceleration is maybe better in F1s at low speed but not by much and the Indy cars have a higher top speed but you can't really see that because of the new turn.

no

GIMI

finnish shitposting and austrialian banter

YOu'd have to be a retard not to recognize that /indy/ is better than /turnleft/ and /parade/ now

>It's just a different kind of competition.

It's not a "racing" competition, regardless, as the race is won during qualification.

They should just skip the "race" and let the cars run single laps for best times in an elimination format. Basically what they do for quali now, but without any other cars on the track. There's no point putting the cars on the track and "racing" when the "race" is pretty much over at turn 1.

you tell me

desu i enjoy f1 qualifying more than the races most of the time

They should just give them 1 day to practice, and then the next day is the time trial day.

- no other cars on the track
- 1 lap only, and if you fuck it up, crash, or your engine explodes, fuck you
- no adjustments to the car can be made, no tire changes, and all cars start with a full fuel load
- use an elimination format similar to what they use in quali today: Run 1: entire field Run 2: top 15 Run 3: top 10 Run 4: top 5 Run 5: final shoot out

That would be more entertaining to watch than the follow the leader shit that usually happens during race day.

me too actually. I like watching the line and all the downforce.

youtube.com/watch?v=wb11QBMSe3c

May surprise you, but Indycar has been producing more DF for quite sometime, might not be true this year..
In 2015 an Indycar would be taking the apex of turns faster than the F1 car from the same year. The F1 car was still faster around the whole circuit due to the much faster acceleration and braking.
When the Chevrolet aero kit, in its original form, was tested at COTA in late 2014 it would have put the car mid-pack in 2014 F1(11-12) qualifying.
2017 F1 regs changed that thanks the much wider tyres, extra mechanical grip as a result, and the increase in overall DF.

Driven by Ayrton Senna.

1993 Mclaren Mp4/8 also driven by Senna
Penske PC22(possibly an updated 1992 chassis since Senna wasn't able[allowed?] to test the 1993 Chassis)

>all these F1 fags seriously think that Alonslo is going to be able to do well in Indy car where speeds exceed 230mph.

Top fucking Kek he's gonna get his shit fucked so hard

At least try.

He'll be fine. Will he win? Maybe not, but he is building valuable experience and maybe another year he will win

interesting, I had no idea.

I don't think Alonso will do well this year. I hope he does come back til he wins though I want him to do a triple crown.

It took Pagenaud a long time before he even won on an oval despite being the best driver in the series.

Alonso is very good but ovals are different because hte high speed requires a different skill set, which clearly exists, despite bench racers trying to claim its all luck. Why else would people like Jeff Gordon be so consistently dominant.

Indianapolis is more like a road course than your average oval though, Alonso wouldnt stand a shot at Phoenix but this ain't phoenix

>Indianapolis is more like a road course

No, it's not.

Indy, like cup super speedways, is the ultimate in oval racing due to the long straights, and constant high speed nature of the racing. Those high speeds create high drag, and the driver that understands how to create, reduce, and use that high drag will do better than those that don't.

Check out this old IROC race:

youtube.com/watch?v=cUGHGq1uoak

It has 3 of the all time greatest oval racers, Dale Earnhardt, Mark Martin, and Jeff Gordon all driving similar cars at Talladega super speedway, and it shows you how they manipulate drag to pass cars by sidedrafting, positioning their cars to get their competitors loose in the turns, and working together to draft for speed.

It's a different skill set completely.

>dude it's just like NASCAR super speedways
Except for shallow 9 degree banking and four distinct 90 degree left hand turns, fuckhead.

You seem upset about something, pumpkin.

Not at all, I don't often talk to potatoes.

The idea that Indy is more like a road course in layout is not a new idea and has been stated by drivers.
The skill sets are not completely different from F1, but enough to set themselves apart.
Indycars at Indy are unlike any NASCAR race where everyone is packed up and hitting each-other.
More like a hanford device CART race.

wtf is a tyre you teaboo piece of shit

>Indy is more like a road course in layout is not a new idea

Idiots have been around forever, sunshine.

Apparently they keep breeding because you were born.

Also AJ Foyt shits on your hillbilly NASCAR heroes from on high.

Bullies steal your lunch money again today, sweetie?

What drivers from other series would you like to see enter the 500? I think Kyle Larson could win it to bh

He has expressed interest for years.
Would like to see Joey Legano(that's Penske's young driver right?) as well.

Plenty of other names I'd be interested to see, because I know they'd do fine.

fuck logano I don't want that faggot anywhere near indycar

I wanna see SVG cause the big one.

How is the INDY online monthly service bs?

desu the only nascar guys I could see who would be interested in doing it is Kyle Larson(obviously), Keselowski and maybe Denny Hamlin.
Kurt gave it try already and Allmendinger could also give it another shot. The Older guys like Jimmie and Harvick wouldn't do it anymore. Jimmie said he was interested at one point but his window closed when he had his first kid.

I feel like NASCAR guys are just content with NASCAR. Its one of thsoe things where you grow up loving it and thats all you want to do, i think .

Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart looked pretty pumped and humbled in the F1 car though so maybe I'm wrong.

Jeff Gordon had all the ingredients to be an all-time great no matter what discipline he came up in. Stewart comes close but he always struck me as a bit of a headcase.

I mean he did literally kill that kid

Stewart has a short temper but he seemed like a good driver that day.

The trouble with NASCAR drivers doing Indy is the Double Duty with Charlotte. 1100 miles in one day? Flying back and forth all weekend? No thank you.

As far as I can remember, Stewart was the only driver to be successful in both races on the same year.

kid killed himself

vid

AJ Allmendinger vowed to never race in another open cockpit car after Justin Wilson died. I believe a few other NASCAR drivers side with AJ. They like the safety of nascars.